Photo

Fernando Alonso - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#3901 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:20

Good season. Looked ordinary vs Massa in the last races..

Advertisement

#3902 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:24

It is increasingly clear Alonso is best driver of the season. No doubt. Even better than Vettel despite his title.

#3903 sniper80

sniper80

• 547 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:24

Better luck next time, but Ferrari needs to find superior speed in their car if they are to win a title again in the next years.

#3904 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:26

It is increasingly clear Alonso is best driver of the season. No doubt. Even better than Vettel despite his title.

Considering that in the last 5 races, he has been looked quite comparable (or even slower) than his over-the-hill teammate, that is a rich statement.
Alonso had an amazing first half of the season, but after the summer break, something happened with him. I don't know if he got complacent with his insurmountable lead, or if seeing Vettel getting back at him simply took him off place, or what; but certainly the Alonso who finished the season was not the same Alonso who started it.

#3905 beanoid

beanoid

• 5,247 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:27

Sky showed it:

https://mobile.twitt...3929345/photo/1

No. They were red/yellow track condition flags. Announcers showed/confirmed it on Speed here in the US.

#3906 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 363 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:27

So apparently Vettel overtook Kobayashi under yellows. Sky is confirming it.

If Ferrari files a protest , then there is some hope of a Vettel penalty.

Anybody else hearing anything

If Ferrari file a protest now that would be quite crap IMO and I wouldn't want Alonso to win the WDC that way. If Ferrari did not lodge an appeal during then race, well that is their fault.

Besides, I am not even sure if a penalty would be deserved - the situation is unclear as Kamui pitted after being passed. One would imagine that he had a radio call earlier in the lap and essentially all Vettel did was affect Kamui's trajectory into the pit lane - as if Kamui had been on the inside and Vettel the outside he would have passed him under Yellows as Kamui entered the pit lane. A simple check of Kamui's radio channel would confirm when the call to pit was made.

#3907 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:28

Gutted for you Alonso fans, couldn't have done anything extra.

standout image of this season is going to be the close up after this race.

#3908 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,768 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:28

Seb´s driving today was way better than anything FA has produced this season. MW ended up 5th in the same car - goes to show how good Seb really is.

#3909 Speed Racer 99

Speed Racer 99

• 201 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:31

That is just so sad. Hopefully you can some day find it in your heart to acknowledge that RB8 did not drive for itself. MW is a class better than Flippy and yet he only managed 5th.

Truth hurts. Vettel will get my respect when he has a season like Alonso just had. Until then, he is just a good driver driving the best car in the field.

#3910 NadsatII

NadsatII

• 236 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:36

Congrats to Sebastian Vettel... But great thanks to Fernando Alonso for all this year. Congrats to Felipe Massa for this race in Brazil. He knowed he was doing a perfect job for Fernando and let him passing by... Congrats to Lewis Hamilton for this fantastic race. He was in the pace for P1. Sad that HUCK crashed against him...

Being Spanish, I have to say: HAM: you're great. Fighting all the time. MSCH: You'll be always the best driver of all times, but that way of opening the door to VET didn't sound good for me. Fair. And it was OK.

Massa: A perfect race and a perfect team-mate. If next year Alonso is out-performed by you, I would like he will do the same for your next championship... Quid-pro-Quo. You did a good job today... Best defending race about your team-mate...

#3911 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,212 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:36

That is just so sad. Hopefully you can some day find it in your heart to acknowledge that RB8 did not drive for itself. MW is a class better than Flippy and yet he only managed 5th.

Here you go. I wasn't going to get into this but you come in here to diminish the job Fernando did with a comment about Webber. Webber under performed this year with a car that was better than the F2012. Just like last year, the RB7 was the best car in the field and he under performed then too only getting 3rd in WDC when he should've been 2nd. Same goes for 2010, he could get 2nd either.

Nobody here is saying Vettel didn't drive well or that the RB8 drove itself. I like Mark a lot but he has nothing to do with this conversation but he clearly under performed to get 6th in the WDC with a car like the RB8.

This sums up Fer's season

“@Jamesallenonf1: #f1 Also congrats to Alonso for getting so close in a car that had no business fighting for the title. Great season by him.”

Edited by CrucialXtreme, 25 November 2012 - 19:37.

#3912 apoka

apoka

• 3,611 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:41

From a Vettel fan: Congratulations to Alonso for that great season! I know you have a hard time today, but take all the positives and his achievements into the next year.

#3913 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,630 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:42

As an englishman and a dedicated mclaren fan i was severely dissapointed with alonso's behaviour when he was at macca.

BUT his performance this year and more importantly his attitude throughout the season and mostly after the last race I have mucho mas respect for him and his ability.. muy bien hecho fred L)

#3914 PedroR

PedroR

• 115 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:42

¡¡¡¡GRACIAS CAMPEÓN!!!! :up: :up: :up: :up:

#3915 djparky

djparky

• 172 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:46

I'm fairly neutral on who wins nowadays but I sort of wanted Alonso to win today- he's a great driver and did absolutely all he could this year in a car that was sometimes 4th/5th quickest on some weekends. As good as the years he was champion in 05/06

and in response to the post below I am not a Ferrari fan- I support Williams

#3916 spanishcaravan

spanishcaravan

• 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:49

I just can say....Thank you Fernando

#3917 drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

• 325 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:55

To quote a tweet I just saw on twitter: 'Fernando Alonso. Legend, Man of Honour, Captain, Icon.

A 'man of honor' wouldn't accept it that his team mate is forced to forsake 5 grid positions in his favor...

However I also feel a bit sorry for Alonso. He lost the WDC now the third time for only a few points, he's surely a great driver and put up a good fight this season!

Edited by drunkenmaster, 25 November 2012 - 19:58.

#3918 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:05

If Ferrari file a protest now that would be quite crap IMO and I wouldn't want Alonso to win the WDC that way. If Ferrari did not lodge an appeal during then race, well that is their fault.

Besides, I am not even sure if a penalty would be deserved - the situation is unclear as Kamui pitted after being passed. One would imagine that he had a radio call earlier in the lap and essentially all Vettel did was affect Kamui's trajectory into the pit lane - as if Kamui had been on the inside and Vettel the outside he would have passed him under Yellows as Kamui entered the pit lane. A simple check of Kamui's radio channel would confirm when the call to pit was made.

As Beanoid said, it was not a yellow flag, it was a red and yellow for slippery track. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that pass.

It's easy to get confused with the TV pictures because the flashing flag ends up looking light orange, almost yellow.
In the tracking system of the F1-app there was no chance of getting it wrong because the area was flashing clearly orange with the little label on top saying it was slippery on sector 11 (around turn 11).

#3919 joshb

joshb

• 3,336 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:09

Fair play for making the season so nerve-wracking.
But do you feel a tad disappointed that it was a crazy race and he was in a good position for a few laps and how Vettels car took that mega hit on lap 1. :eek:
Or happy he took it to the wire and delivered his best year

Advertisement

#3920 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:11

For me Fernando is the driver of the year
Epic victories and always getting the maximum from the Ferrari

alas it was not enough but it was a pleasure watching him this year :up:

#3921 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,212 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:12

But do you feel a tad disappointed that it was a crazy race and he was in a good position for a few laps and how Vettels car took that mega hit on lap 1. :eek:

Yeah, crazy how the RB8 took that and kept going, or that no other driver hit him. Very good race, great year. Good job to Seb & we'll see you next year. :up:

#3922 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:14

Happy. Looking at what was going on in the winter.

#3923 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,768 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:14

Here you go. I wasn't going to get into this but you come in here to diminish the job Fernando did with a comment about Webber. Webber under performed this year with a car that was better than the F2012. Just like last year, the RB7 was the best car in the field and he under performed then too only getting 3rd in WDC when he should've been 2nd. Same goes for 2010, he could get 2nd either.

Nobody here is saying Vettel didn't drive well or that the RB8 drove itself. I like Mark a lot but he has nothing to do with this conversation but he clearly under performed to get 6th in the WDC with a car like the RB8.

This sums up Fer's season

“@Jamesallenonf1: #f1 Also congrats to Alonso for getting so close in a car that had no business fighting for the title. Great season by him.”

Oh please cry me a river. Today´s race as well as Abu Dhabi showed clearly why Seb is a worthy triple champion. Anyone claiming that the title came easy for him is delusional - he fought tooth and nail for it this year. And please do read the posts of several FA fans who go on telling that Newey won the WDC and that Seb is not worth the praise.

#3924 evol88

evol88

• 43 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:15

Overall, pretty disappointed because he came so close and especially because, for a few laps at the beginning, it looked like Alonso might be able to do it. But I'll remember this season in the same way I remember MS's efforts in 1998. It's a shame the car wasn't stronger, but at least we didn't lose it in the same way as 08 (where Ferrari threw stupidly threw away points through errors on race day) or even 10 (a combination of strategy and some stupid mistakes by FA earlier on in the season).

#3925 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,459 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:16

Both, I'm super proud that he took it to the wire but disappointed that he came oh so close. It's easier to take when there is no chance at all but 3 points is difficult to swallow!

#3926 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:21

Driver.Of.The.Year

Fantastic Fernando. IMO a step ahead of Lewis and Vettel. Something he's proved consistently ever since 2009 IMO.

Epic driver, epic season. Fernando. Vettel is the 3 time champ but you will go down as one of the greatest ahead of him, surely. Vettel can not take any pleasure in beating a dog of a Ferrari.

#3927 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,212 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:25

Oh please cry me a river. Today´s race as well as Abu Dhabi showed clearly why Seb is a worthy triple champion. Anyone claiming that the title came easy for him is delusional - he fought tooth and nail for it this year. And please do read the posts of several FA fans who go on telling that Newey won the WDC and that Seb is not worth the praise.

I never claimed that it was easy for Seb. And I noticed you completely ignored what I said because you had no point. I'm sure there are ignorant Alonso fans saying dumb stuff, same goes for ignorant Vettel fans. It doesn't mean because they do it I will too. I'm a bit older than that.
You can only control what you do & what you say. And to bring up Mark who clearly under performed to diminish bat Alonso did is totally off base. But hey mate, what ever makes you feel better.

#3928 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 363 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:29

As Beanoid said, it was not a yellow flag, it was a red and yellow for slippery track. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that pass.

It's easy to get confused with the TV pictures because the flashing flag ends up looking light orange, almost yellow.
In the tracking system of the F1-app there was no chance of getting it wrong because the area was flashing clearly orange with the little label on top saying it was slippery on sector 11 (around turn 11).

Yup - seen the confirmation from the stewards that it was indeed an 'slippery' flag so no harm, no foul.

#3929 redbarron

redbarron

• 301 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:42

Very disappointing to come in here and see the idiots ruin this thread by acting like children. Please go away!!

I'm a bit upset at the moment, but congratulations to Fernando for putting in a Stella year of racing!

#3930 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,768 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:43

I never claimed that it was easy for Seb. And I noticed you completely ignored what I said because you had no point. I'm sure there are ignorant Alonso fans saying dumb stuff, same goes for ignorant Vettel fans. It doesn't mean because they do it I will too. I'm a bit older than that.
You can only control what you do & what you say. And to bring up Mark who clearly under performed to diminish bat Alonso did is totally off base. But hey mate, what ever makes you feel better.

I apologize.

Seb is not "my guy" but I just got a bit rattled when his efforts were denigrated...a lot. To me he seems like a likeable guy and totally deserving the titles. The only reason I brought MW to the discussion was because (underperforming or not) he was not able to achieve even close to what SV has and did - apparently that is not enough to persuade some to give SV credit however. I have not read ALL the comments (naturally) but in general I have not seen anyone claiming that the only reason FA took the title hunt to the wire was Fry or Tombazis or...

Fernando was very good once again but in the last couple of races he seemed to crumble somewhat.

#3931 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:52

I apologize.

Seb is not "my guy" but I just got a bit rattled when his efforts were denigrated...a lot. To me he seems like a likeable guy and totally deserving the titles. The only reason I brought MW to the discussion was because (underperforming or not) he was not able to achieve even close to what SV has and did - apparently that is not enough to persuade some to give SV credit however. I have not read ALL the comments (naturally) but in general I have not seen anyone claiming that the only reason FA took the title hunt to the wire was Fry or Tombazis or...

Fernando was very good once again but in the last couple of races he seemed to crumble somewhat.

This.
That's the only reason I don't give him a 10 for his season.
To me, he and VET deserved the WDC anyway.

#3932 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:55

....... and Abu Dhabi is why Alonso isn't the wdc, he had a chance to win that race but let Kimi run away with it.

#3933 topical

topical

• 2,300 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:56

My most memorable moment of the race was probably seeing Alonso's girlfriend - who always gives the impression of a total ice lady - crying in excitement when she saw Vettel spin off on lap 1. And then the cut to other folk in the Ferrari garage. It was almost as dramatic as 2008.
That and the moment when Vettel took the extra pitstop were two moments when I thought Alonso could win.
How bloody cruel to still see him robbed of it.
But somehow it hurts less than 2010. He gave his maximum and no one is to blame (not even Grosjean). It just wasn't to be.

#3934 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:58

Fernando, during the last 3 years you have shown how immense your talent is! While your championship years were won in very competitive cars, these past 3 have allowed your talent to shine through, past the shortcomings of your machinery. :up:

Sadly, you won't receive the hardware that comes with being world champion, but you continue to earn something that will be far more lasting and valuable..THE RESPECT AND ADMIRATION OF YOUR PEERS, THE PUBLIC AND PUNDITS! :smoking:

Michael Schumacher may have the most titles, but it is Senna, on fewer thank half Michael's titles, who is considered the greatest ever! :up: His driving brilliance stirred the soul in ways far outweighed by the number of titles he has. We could SEE how good he was, and the same holds true for you. Decades from now people will ask --with a glint in their eyes and in glowing terms -- if you saw Fernando Alonso drive in Valencia and Malaysia in 2012. How you squeezed every ounce of performance out of that Ferrari F2012 to secure those heroic victories. Just like Ayrton in Donnington '93. Great drivers in Great Cars win lots of championships, but Great Drivers in Good Cars become LEGENDS! :cool: You're on your way, my boy! :love:

Your Magic behind the Wheel displays a talent that rivals the very best who've ever piloted an F1 machine. You will surely be honored again by your Fellow Drivers and Team Principals as the best F1 driver of the season, as you were in 2010. Ironically, in the two years you finished runner up to Sebastian, it's YOU who is rated as the BEST by those in the best position to judge. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I know that will hardly soothe the disappointment you must surely be feeling right now, but fear not, more championships are coming your way. Thanks CHAMP! :)

Edited by PoleMan, 25 November 2012 - 21:06.

#3935 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,035 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:02

I just keep thinking back to Valencia, how mega he was, and the emotion on the podium.

It makes me sad that he didn't get it today, he really did deserve it. I really hope Ferrari realize this and make sure 2013 starts on the right foot.

#3936 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,768 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:05

I just keep thinking back to Valencia, how mega he was, and the emotion on the podium.

It makes me sad that he didn't get it today, he really did deserve it. I really hope Ferrari realize this and make sure 2013 starts on the right foot.

Not to take much :) away from FA´s Valencia win, had the alternator on Renault engine not failed, that race would´ve been just a good one for Fernando.

#3937 TailG

TailG

• 929 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:06

Ferdando blew it in the last 3rd lof the season. Spa was not his fault in any way but he has to take atleast 50% of the blame for Suzuka. He was also overshadowed by Massa in the last races for reasons I don't understand. Massa was the better driver for the last third of the season.

Well-deserved 2nd place, Vettel was the more deserving of the two.

#3938 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,212 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:09

I apologize.

Well thanks mate. I'm sorry that some Fernando fans are childish & immature and don't give credit where it's deserved unless its Fer himself. A shame because Seb had a great season and is totally deserving of the WDC. Whether or not under performed is neither here nor there as it took great driving from Seb to get where he's at today. I will say I think the RB8 has been a better car than the F2012 this year but the McLaren was the best. People tend to forget RB's struggles early in the year to get their development on track. They even went so far as to run two completely different specification cars to gain data. That took balls. Again well deserved WDC.

I too think Fernando was deserving of the WDC as I think many times he placed the car in positions it didn't have a right to be in. But that's what good drivers do, this goes for Seb too.
People make much of Felipe doing a bit better towards the end of the season in spots but that's not too out of this world for me. Felipe has been a good driver throughout his career. Struggled early but was strong late. Proud of him. As good as Fernando's is he's not immune to getting beat by his teammate. I think the stress of the year, of the car, of having to be damn near inch perfect all season began to get to Fer a bit as of late, but that's to be expected IMHO. The WDC causes stress which was evident as both Fer & Seb were out-Quali'd by their teammates. That's partly stress of the WDC.

But great season from both drivers both deserving but only one can win. Try not to listen to the ignorant fans mate & only converse with the good ones. :up:

#3939 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:12

Fernando Alonso insists Ferrari can be proud of their season despite title failure
http://www1.skysport...e-title-failure

Edited by jstrains, 25 November 2012 - 21:12.

Advertisement

#3940 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,768 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:22

Well thanks mate. I'm sorry that some Fernando fans are childish & immature and don't give credit where it's deserved unless its Fer himself. A shame because Seb had a great season and is totally deserving of the WDC. Whether or not under performed is neither here nor there as it took great driving from Seb to get where he's at today. I will say I think the RB8 has been a better car than the F2012 this year but the McLaren was the best. People tend to forget RB's struggles early in the year to get their development on track. They even went so far as to run two completely different specification cars to gain data. That took balls. Again well deserved WDC.

I too think Fernando was deserving of the WDC as I think many times he placed the car in positions it didn't have a right to be in. But that's what good drivers do, this goes for Seb too.
People make much of Felipe doing a bit better towards the end of the season in spots but that's not too out of this world for me. Felipe has been a good driver throughout his career. Struggled early but was strong late. Proud of him. As good as Fernando's is he's not immune to getting beat by his teammate. I think the stress of the year, of the car, of having to be damn near inch perfect all season began to get to Fer a bit as of late, but that's to be expected IMHO. The WDC causes stress which was evident as both Fer & Seb were out-Quali'd by their teammates. That's partly stress of the WDC.

But great season from both drivers both deserving but only one can win. Try not to listen to the ignorant fans mate & only converse with the good ones. :up:

Will do :)

How on earth do we fill our lives until Mar 2013? :) Fortunately there actually was no what if´s so we don´t have to rile each other to the point that all the discussions are just cussing and blaming :)

A great season altogether - ups and downs aplenty for pretty much all. A worthy champ and runner-ups. "My guy" got the win he so deserved and has to travel to FIA Gala for surprizing many by ending up 3rd :)

I wish you (all of you) a wonderful rest of the year and strength to wait the ´13 season to begin.

#3941 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:26

Ferdando blew it in the last 3rd lof the season. Spa was not his fault in any way but he has to take atleast 50% of the blame for Suzuka. He was also overshadowed by Massa in the last races for reasons I don't understand. Massa was the better driver for the last third of the season.

Well-deserved 2nd place, Vettel was the more deserving of the two.

I don't see how Alonso "blew it". He finished on the podium almost every race. Given his consistency he would most likely collected the 4 points he needed at SPA had Grosjean not destroyed his Ferrari.

Bad luck. It was not meant to be, that is all.

#3942 thechin

thechin

• 315 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:34

I apologize.

Crumble? 3rd and 2nd in 3rd/4th best car?

Get real.

#3943 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:39

FA: "Under maximum pressure we have performed again above what anyone imagined..;) ! Proud of the work, the team and all of you..!!!"

#3944 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,768 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:40

Get real.

With a lot of "help" from others. He qualified poorly in the last 3 races and it seemed as if Felipe was the stronger of the Ferraris.

#3945 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,071 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:42

So close, and yet so far :(

#3946 P123

P123

• 8,703 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:43

Look on the bright side- surely the 2013 Ferrari will be a better car, developed through the season in a wintunnel that's fully calibrated.

#3947 krea

krea

• 714 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:49

Get real.

3rd, 4th best car?

you should get real

#3948 sniper80

sniper80

• 547 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:55

It is true, Alonso was not on his high driving standards the last couple of Grand Prix's.
Looking at his girlfriend, I think he got a bit distracted :D
Seriously, it's not normal to see Massa going quicker than him in Qualifying & race today.

#3949 TailG

TailG

• 929 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:01

I don't see how Alonso "blew it". He finished on the podium almost every race. Given his consistency he would most likely collected the 4 points he needed at SPA had Grosjean not destroyed his Ferrari.

Bad luck. It was not meant to be, that is all.

Alonso "blew" it with his sub-standard performance in the last 3rd of the season. Why was Massa faster than Alonso? Did the car change? Pressure got to him? I don't know but to me it's clear that had Alonso not dropped his performance in the last 4-5 races, he would have won the title.

#3950 FerrariFanInTexas

FerrariFanInTexas

• 1,143 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:04

Is it possible that as the car evolved it better fit Massa's style? I'm puzzled as to why Fernando could not wring more of the car the last 5-6 races. In all honesty, it seems Massa got more out of the car during this time, and it's odd because earlier in the season it seemed Massa was totally uncomfortable driving it. Certainly he gave up positions the last two races, and overall he looked "racier" (for lack of a better word) since Japan.

And I hope it's not the girlfriend.