Photo

Fernando Alonso - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4015 replies to this topic

#401 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 22:21

While this is true, there is no need to defend every error. All drivers make them from time to time, but Alonso has been more consistent than most, particularly in the last two years.

You could say that about Spa 2010 / Fuji 2007, but I don't think Monaco 2004 was an error at all. Anyway that's been discussed a lot of years ago so let's keep away from that topic :)

Advertisement

#402 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:56

Posted Image

instagram from @alo_oficial

#403 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,516 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:02

Posted Image

We will se if they changed the score, they give him 9 on the autosport plus article.

#404 bmardini

bmardini

• 326 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:57

I don't think Fernando is the favorite

Vettel/RB are still the favorites. Their car is amazing. The fact that Fernando is able to keep in touch (yes, leading by 20 odd points is "keeping in touch") is due to a combination of perfect driving, pitstops, strategies, luck and a reliable car.

#405 PedroR

PedroR

• 97 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:58

Sebastian + Good Car ("not the best") = most exciting championship

Lewis + Good Car ("not the best") = exciting championship

Alonso + Good Car ("not the best") = finish championship

#406 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:39

I don't know if I got that correctly, but Lewis and Seb do have the best cars this year

#407 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,516 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:48

At the end of this video you can hear the radio transmission between Andrea and Fernando at the end of the race. I didn't catch the "grazie" watching the race live.

http://f1pitradio.co...012-race-video/

#408 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:40

At the end of this video you can hear the radio transmission between Andrea and Fernando at the end of the race. I didn't catch the "grazie" watching the race live.

http://f1pitradio.co...012-race-video/

Me neither, I don't think they aired it

#409 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,516 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 13:00

We will se if they changed the score, they give him 9 on the autosport plus article.

Answering to myself, no they didn't give Alonso a 10 in the magazine, just a 9. One of the best charges through the field in this decade deserve a 9.

#410 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 13:09

Answering to myself, no they didn't give Alonso a 10 in the magazine, just a 9. One of the best charges through the field in this decade deserve a 9.

A thing that didn't happen since Singapore 2008, someone winning from outside top 10

And Vettel with that cool off-throttle gadget that allowed him to open a 20 seconds gap and that was probably also related to his DNF, deserves a 10.

So much Alonso hate perhaps?

#411 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,682 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 13:11

What does finish championship mean? Champion of Finland?

#412 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 21:15

What does finish championship mean? Champion of Finland?

I think he meant the ultimate championship, he translated literally 'ultimo' from spain to english I think xD

#413 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 21:40

Or probably that the championship would finish before it started, as in the result being already known since the beginning.
But who knows! :)

#414 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,119 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 21:43

Get a grip dude. If you can´t get to the conclussion that there´s nothing between the -numerous- top drivers today, you don´t understand what you´re watching. This is an extremely tight competition. Fernando is doing the best job out of anybody and he´s leading rightly, but not even him -the guy on the best shape right now- is a guarantee of a victory in even the best car on the grid. You should come down to Earth or there´s high chance of a hard fall. :wave:

#415 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 00:44

A thing that didn't happen since Singapore 2008, someone winning from outside top 10

And Vettel with that cool off-throttle gadget that allowed him to open a 20 seconds gap and that was probably also related to his DNF, deserves a 10.

So much Alonso hate perhaps?

It comes from a chronic habit of attributing driver influence where there's no reason to. Vettel's race pace for instance.... they give Alonso a 9 because of the race attritions that gifted him the victory. However, they don't give Vettel a 9 because of the car he was driving that allowed him to dominate the way that he did.

I've always been an advocate for crediting a driver based on what he, more than anything else, consistently does with his car and the race opportunities during wheel to wheel racing and strategies. Alonso did the maximum of what was possible with that car. He never dropped the ball once and outdid himself with some of the overtaking. To me that's an emphatic 10. You could see from Alonso's elation that he had done a great drive.

Yes, Vettel maximised on his opportunity as well so if he get's a 10 fine.. But Alonso should as well. The rating is really poor indeed.

I've pretty much lost a lot of interest in the Autosport.com ratings.

Edited by ali_M, 29 June 2012 - 00:46.

#416 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,172 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:10

I think he meant the ultimate championship, he translated literally 'ultimo' from spain to english I think xD

He means that the difference between Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso is that if you give Alonso a car that is not the best but very good then the championship is over because he won't let the chance go.

#417 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,172 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:12

It comes from a chronic habit of attributing driver influence where there's no reason to. Vettel's race pace for instance.... they give Alonso a 9 because of the race attritions that gifted him the victory. However, they don't give Vettel a 9 because of the car he was driving that allowed him to dominate the way that he did.

I've always been an advocate for crediting a driver based on what he, more than anything else, consistently does with his car and the race opportunities during wheel to wheel racing and strategies. Alonso did the maximum of what was possible with that car. He never dropped the ball once and outdid himself with some of the overtaking. To me that's an emphatic 10. You could see from Alonso's elation that he had done a great drive.

Yes, Vettel maximised on his opportunity as well so if he get's a 10 fine.. But Alonso should as well. The rating is really poor indeed.

Anyway I wouldn't be worried about their ratings, who cares what autosport rates them. I know what I saw, I know what car has each one, and I have a clear pic of what the rating should be. I'm not changing my mind because autosport says this or that but because of what I see every GP.

A driver that doesn't need to do any correction while driving and looks like driving on rails thanks to evident technical advantage (just like most of the time in the last 2 years) is compared to drivers who are struggling with their cars.

Edited by Nitropower, 29 June 2012 - 01:15.

#418 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:03

Spot on!

#419 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:54

Perhaps they dont have highly perceptive experts who can tell the strengths and weknesses of the car by looking at them... They defo need to employ more experts down there - if thats expensive hire some of our fellow forummers who I m sure will be more than happy to assist. Isnt it?

Yeah Nando did his max and should ve gotten a 10. But Vettel also did his max if you look at it that way !

Advertisement

#420 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,516 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:56

Valencia race edit.

http://www.formula1....uid=2012062408R

#421 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,516 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 13:09

As people headed home, the SMSs began to fly in the direction of Oviedo… On Sunday night, for a few hours only, Fernando and Ferrari will be sporting rivals!

http://www.ferrari.c...d-and-blue.aspx

I hope Fernando is trolling the team really hard :rotfl:

#422 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 16:22

Perhaps they dont have highly perceptive experts who can tell the strengths and weknesses of the car by looking at them... They defo need to employ more experts down there - if thats expensive hire some of our fellow forummers who I m sure will be more than happy to assist. Isn't it?

Yeah Nando did his max and should ve gotten a 10. But Vettel also did his max if you look at it that way !

Yes, I agree. They should both be given a 10. This is my point.

My disagreement is with Alonso's 9, the arguments given for it VS Vettel's 10 and the arguments given for it.

Fans often claim that driver A won a championship because of the dominant car he had and/or the preferential treatment that he enjoyed, and that any other driver could have done the same thing given the same opportunity. At the same time, they applaud another driver B for winning a championship in a car that they conveniently claim is not competitive, ascribing the cars pace to the driver. What doesn't help either is the mistaken assumption that a car that's not so good at season start remains that way for the entire season. A car that's good at the start remains that way for the entire season.

The F2012 is not the same car relative to the others since season's start. The same goes for the RB8 and all the other cars.

It's not Alonso's pace at a particular race that's of central importance IMO, though it is important. It's not that he's driving poorly at one race while driving like a god at another to account for the difference in pace relative to the other cars. It's what he does with the pace that he's able to achieve and what he does with it from race to race. He's been stellar this year from where I'm sitting. Just as good in Canada as he was in Valencia IMO.

So many of the drivers are able to put in a great performance only now and then. They're unable to consistently pull it off. Too many stars, moons and circumstances have to come together for them to get things right. Vettel and Alonso among the rare examples of consistent performers.

#423 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 17:02

Valencia race edit.

Music was too calm for the action the race had, but still, you can't make a bad video edit out of such an awesome race!

#424 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,904 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 17:09

Music was too calm for the action the race had, but still, you can't make a bad video edit out of such an awesome race!

Fantastic by Luca, Hirohide and Baldisseri!

#425 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 17:50

Fanmade alonso's race edit

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#426 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 20:05

Valencia race edit.

******* FIA.They played the sound of Fernando cheering when he passed the slow vettel.

#427 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 20:35

******* FIA.They played the sound of Fernando cheering when he passed the slow vettel.

Maybe he was cheering there too?

I don't see anything wrong tho, if he did cheer it's fun :rotfl:

#428 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,476 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 21:02

Yeah, noticed that too! sounds just like his cheer after he'd won, so one get's suspicious if they just edited that cheer in there, when he passed the ailing Vettel.

#429 crespo

crespo

• 485 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 21:10

Apparently, the grandstand Alonso stopped in front of during his celeb lap was the one with the cheapest seats. That can't have been a coincidence.. talk about bringing joy to the masses :D

Grande Alonso!

#430 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 22:03

Yeah, noticed that too! sounds just like his cheer after he'd won, so one get's suspicious if they just edited that cheer in there, when he passed the ailing Vettel.

Exactly.Sounded to me like the victory cheer too.

#431 Infinityl

Infinityl

• 180 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:24

I dont mind if Alonso laught on Vettel failure.

Vettel only have to do 3 things to a perfect race:
1. Press the magic button in Q3 to get pole.
2. Press the magic button at start to get a 20 sec gap. in 10 lap.
3. Try not to burn the car.

He failed hard and people still rating his race as perfect .. Better than Alonso's race :drunk:

#432 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 768 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:01

I dont mind if Alonso laught on Vettel failure.

Vettel only have to do 3 things to a perfect race:
1. Press the magic button in Q3 to get pole.
2. Press the magic button at start to get a 20 sec gap. in 10 lap.
3. Try not to burn the car.

He failed hard and people still rating his race as perfect .. Better than Alonso's race :drunk:

:lol:

#433 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:22

Apparently, the grandstand Alonso stopped in front of during his celeb lap was the one with the cheapest seats. That can't have been a coincidence.. talk about bringing joy to the masses :D

Grande Alonso!

You are right! It was! :)

#434 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,587 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:35

"To finish first, first you have to finish"*

*Unless it is in an arbitrary ranking system

#435 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,516 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:36

Third twitter/facebook interview!:

http://www.fernandoa...era-entrevista/

Hello champion. Do you have to pass an alcohol, doping or blood analysis test before or after the race? Thanks

We receive the same treatment as a cyclist, for example. We’re required to tell the FIA where we are during the 365 days of the year to be able to pass an anti-doping test. I’ve already passed various; a few days ago, for example, I found myself chatting with a gentleman in the lounge of my house at seven in the morning whilst I passed an anti-doping test.

I didn't know that, the same treatment as a cyclist, WTF!.

Would you like to manage your own team in the very distant future?

Maybe…

Really?, sometime ago he said no, so maybe he is changing his mind. :confused:

#436 robefc

robefc

• 8,002 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 13:59

Third twitter/facebook interview!:

http://www.fernandoa...era-entrevista/

Really enjoyed that interview and am enjoying following him on twitter, I'm massively surprised he's gone down that route rather than Lewis, given he's the one who's talked about building a brand and hired Simon Fuller.

Not that I'm saying Fred is doing this for those reasons.

Pains me how much my opinion of Fred has changed since 2007, life would be much simpler if he was still dick dastardly! Still, at least I could enjoy watching the emotional celebrations at the weekend rather than it adding to my Lewis rage!

#437 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,971 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 14:04

I can't believe some troll asked him about being a pay driver... :lol: :lol:

His answer was priceless: "Paying to drive is different than being paid to drive… No??"

#438 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 14:39

¿Cuáles son todos los factores que influyen para la degradación?

Me llevan loca las gomas.

:lol:

#439 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 14:55

What do those gestures with your hands on the cool down lap mean?
It started with a TV programme I used to watch in Spain when I was a kid called “El chavo del 8”, where the main character would do this gesture. Over time it developed into a way of saying hello to my grandmother, so every time I would go to the airport for the next race she would say to me: “remember to say hello to me if you win”. So I’ve done that for her all this time… And it always will be if I get the chance to win again.

Questions & answers from Fernando

Advertisement

#440 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 15:39

What gestures?

#441 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 15:55

What gestures?

Posted Image

#442 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,516 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 16:16

What gestures?

This gesture with the hand, like "mimicking the motion of a mouth speaking", it's not exactly that but I don't know how to explain it.

Check this video, quality is very bad but you can see the gesture at the end of the video.

#443 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,577 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 17:04

Alonso makes the perfect pantomime villain, as least that's how I see it, so they've simply incorporated that bit at a convenient time in their clip. Doesn't beat his evil Korean laugh.

#444 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 19:03

This gesture with the hand, like "mimicking the motion of a mouth speaking", it's not exactly that but I don't know how to explain it.

Check this video, quality is very bad but you can see the gesture at the end of the video.

Thanks Kosmos & Puxanando. :up: I remember the 'animal' poses (as shown on the chalk board in the photo Puxanando provided) from the Renault days, I guess that's all part of it. The clip made it nice & clear. :)

#445 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 20:26

Posted Image

Any more info on this?

#446 juandiego

juandiego

• 390 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 20:35

Exactly.Sounded to me like the victory cheer too.

I also think so. Too early to cheer in such a way. The same laugh also sounds when he has already finished. A little antic from the editor, it seems to me.

#447 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:34

You remember?

Last year in Silverstone :up:

#448 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:04

You remember?

Last year in Silverstone :up:

The second lap he did with that Ferrari... if I was Bernie I would have had a heart-attack :rotfl:

#449 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:10

Really enjoyed that interview and am enjoying following him on twitter, I'm massively surprised he's gone down that route rather than Lewis, given he's the one who's talked about building a brand and hired Simon Fuller.

Not that I'm saying Fred is doing this for those reasons.

Pains me how much my opinion of Fred has changed since 2007, life would be much simpler if he was still dick dastardly! Still, at least I could enjoy watching the emotional celebrations at the weekend rather than it adding to my Lewis rage!

Karnaplosky

Having the support that you have from Banco Santander…Don’t you consider yourself a Pay Driver of some sort?

I’m very proud of the support that I’ve received from all the sponsors that have accompanied me over the years. This is a sport with very high budgets and much more is demanded of the drivers than just being competitive in the car. Throughout the years I’ve taken part in the filming of more than thirty TV adverts, I’ve given conferences, participated in meetings with clients or employees of my sponsors…No one pays for nothing, in Formula 1 the drivers are the image of the team and the team’s sponsors; thWite better your sponsors are, the better the team is. Fortunately, year after year better sponsors are interested in this sport and in the team’s I’m at. Paying to drive is different than being paid to drive… No??

With the Santander reference, it is obvious this guy is one of the few leftover widows of a certain F1 driver.

Edited by fabr68, 01 July 2012 - 12:10.

#450 radosav

radosav

• 100 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:26

With the Santander reference, it is obvious this guy is one of the few leftover widows of a certain F1 driver.

i thought they will be quiet once he was resurrected