Mark Webber - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1038 replies to this topic

#1 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:04

Continuation of the discussion of Mark Webber. Previous thread: http://forums.autosp...howtopic=134222

Advertisement

#2 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 00:22

Hypothetical question for Webber fans.

If you were Mark & you had offers from both Red Bull Racing & Ferrari for a one year contract in 2013 what would you do? Stick with the team you've been with for many years now & who will most likely continue to produce a competitive car? Or would you live the dream of any F1 driver before they retire & join the Scuderia?

#3 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 00:42

If you were Mark & you had offers from both Red Bull Racing & Ferrari for a one year contract in 2013 what would you do? Stick with the team you've been with for many years now & who will most likely continue to produce a competitive car? Or would you live the dream of any F1 driver before they retire & join the Scuderia?

Good question. I have always seen Mark as something of a solid pragmatist and so things like "legend" are put under the microscope. In my mind the legend and magic of driving for Ferrari would not be quite the same in the 2000s without Enzo to eat with at the Cavallino between testing sessions at Fiorano. The critical eyes of all of Italy being on you remains, though that is present in most teams nowadays.

I think Mark would add things up and maybe the most telling question would be "would Alonso be more or less of a challenge as a teammate as Vettel?". I think the answer would be more, and more political, cunning, and in command of team loyalties. Although I have no great affection for Fernando as a person I confess I think he is the toughest total package of driver in 2012 by a significant margin. If Ferrari do make him an offer I think Mark may try to use it as a bargaining chip but I don't think it would greatly raise the stakes for him. I suspect he will take a reduced offer for 2013 with RB unless Monaco is the start of some bigger trend for 2012 races.

#4 v@sh

v@sh

• 1,452 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:57

Tough choice IMO. There are pros and cons on both sides:

Ferrari - good mate in Alonso, the aura of driving for the Scuderia even if as a backup choice, the car was a dog at the beginning of the season but has now slowly caught up, also is there a guarantee of another season at Ferrari if you decide to hang around a little longer?
Red Bull - the form team for the past few years, he has known the guys since back to the Jaguar days, its management and the past that has the most bearing on the decision

I would seek Briatore's advice, he was the one that told him to go to Renault instead of Williams - Webber ended up going to Williams when they were on the downward spiral whereas Renault won two championships. Clearly Webber does see the significance in F1 history he would make if he drove for Ferrari, though this time around I highly doubt Ferrari would be on a downward spiral given the resources they have as opposed to Williams back then.

#5 JDo

JDo

• 52 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:17

I think if it is a straight one year deal at either stable he would stay at RB (Although Webber always says he likes it one year at a time, I don't actually believe it). I think if he is going to Ferrari it would be with the incentive of a two year deal.

#6 faaaz

faaaz

• 1,870 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:24

Doubt he wants another 2 years in F1. If he won the championship this year he would retire for sure, he's an aussie. We like to go out on top. He may hang around for another year if he has a good season and competes with Seb.

#7 JDo

JDo

• 52 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:33

Doubt he wants another 2 years in F1. If he won the championship this year he would retire for sure, he's an aussie. We like to go out on top. He may hang around for another year if he has a good season and competes with Seb.

If he wins the title this year there is absolutely no way that he would retire!!!! A year of driving around with a number 1 on his car would ensure that.

#8 faaaz

faaaz

• 1,870 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:09

If he wins the title this year there is absolutely no way that he would retire!!!! A year of driving around with a number 1 on his car would ensure that.

I could bet my money he would, there would be nothing else for him to achieve in F1. He is 35 years old, and he is not Rubens.

#9 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:07

It all depends what happens in the next 10 races.If he beats Seb this year he should stay on,and if he does beat him there is a good chance he will be WDC.

If Seb beats him again he may as well move on to Ferrari if he has the opportunity.

#10 JDo

JDo

• 52 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:09

I could bet my money he would, there would be nothing else for him to achieve in F1. He is 35 years old, and he is not Rubens.

I would be more than happy for you to be right if it meant he had a WDC to his name!

#11 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:53

Good question. I have always seen Mark as something of a solid pragmatist and so things like "legend" are put under the microscope. In my mind the legend and magic of driving for Ferrari would not be quite the same in the 2000s without Enzo to eat with at the Cavallino between testing sessions at Fiorano. The critical eyes of all of Italy being on you remains, though that is present in most teams nowadays.

I think Mark would add things up and maybe the most telling question would be "would Alonso be more or less of a challenge as a teammate as Vettel?". I think the answer would be more, and more political, cunning, and in command of team loyalties. Although I have no great affection for Fernando as a person I confess I think he is the toughest total package of driver in 2012 by a significant margin. If Ferrari do make him an offer I think Mark may try to use it as a bargaining chip but I don't think it would greatly raise the stakes for him. I suspect he will take a reduced offer for 2013 with RB unless Monaco is the start of some bigger trend for 2012 races.

Yeah, i tend to agree Muz. It'd be great if Mark had the option of choosing RBR or Ferrari but either way he'll be up against a double world champion or possibly a triple WDC. Great challenge either way & as much as i'd love to see him in the scarlet red, i reckon he'd stay with the Milton Keynes crew & RBR in the end.

#12 BCM

BCM

• 1,964 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:04

Joe Saward is of the opinion that Webber to Ferrari is a done deal for next year.

#13 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:11

In 2010, I wanted to see Mark winning WDC very much. If it were not the Korean GP accident, he should have. This year, he has a great chance of winning his maiden title and I feel it will be the landmark for Webber for deciding whether he will race for RBR or Ferrari. If he wins, I guess he will go to Ferrari to mark his name in the hisotry as a Ferrari driver - literally. If he not, I don't think he'll leave RBR as he won't have a chance to grab WDC while Alonso is there. Ferrari won't let Mark spoil the fairy tale.

To my opinion, Mark is waiting to clinch the title to decide. He wanted to leave after what happened in Turkey 2010 or Silverstone 2010, but he had no other options. And he could still try to win it at RBR. Therefore he stayed. I don't think he likes Seb, Helmut or Horner for that matter. He's racing for himself, not for the team (this is a personal hunch). As soon as he wins the title, he'll quit from Red Bull. Ferrari would welcome him with arms wide open now that Kubica's return seem unfortunately highly unlikely.

#14 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 2,014 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:47

Because Ferrari and Red Bull are going to wait until after the final race to sign their drivers? Unlikely.

#15 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:23

In 2010, I wanted to see Mark winning WDC very much. If it were not the Korean GP accident, he should have. This year, he has a great chance of winning his maiden title and I feel it will be the landmark for Webber for deciding whether he will race for RBR or Ferrari. If he wins, I guess he will go to Ferrari to mark his name in the hisotry as a Ferrari driver - literally. If he not, I don't think he'll leave RBR as he won't have a chance to grab WDC while Alonso is there. Ferrari won't let Mark spoil the fairy tale.

To my opinion, Mark is waiting to clinch the title to decide. He wanted to leave after what happened in Turkey 2010 or Silverstone 2010, but he had no other options. And he could still try to win it at RBR. Therefore he stayed. I don't think he likes Seb, Helmut or Horner for that matter. He's racing for himself, not for the team (this is a personal hunch). As soon as he wins the title, he'll quit from Red Bull. Ferrari would welcome him with arms wide open now that Kubica's return seem unfortunately highly unlikely.

Don't quite agree with all of the bolded bit. Yes he may not like Marko, Horner or Seb much but he does love the rest of the team imo. He's been popular back at the factory since his Jaguar days & has a lot of time for his engineers, mechanics & crew. He get's on well with Newey & Mateschitz is a big fan. His no bulls**t, call a spade a spade persona seems to go down well with Mateschitz as well & is probably why Mark deals directly with the owner regarding his contracts now. I really don't think Mark give's a flying *&%# what Marko thinks & says nowadays. I suspect he'd stay with RBR if he's offered another year. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong though.

#16 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:51

I honestly can't say where I'd like him to be.. it's one of those things where it's easy to act like an expert now, and easy to look the fool later on.. sort of like winter testing.

Only thing is.. both sides have alot of upsides, so it's sort of a win win.

Some random thoughts..

- Every year that goes on before the next major rule change.. Ferrari, McLaren and others will merge the gap, possibly without the weaknesses Redbull have (ie top speed, or KERS etc).
- If another rule change happens, Newey/RBR will be strong again.
- Agree that Webber probably doesn't like the team that much and is racing for himself, but also has alot of support within the team (the mechanics, engineers etc), and possibly likes Horner/Newey quite alot.
- Could be culture barrier in Ferrari, similar to Kimi had. Doesn't speak Italian either.
- If they are close now, I wonder how close friends Alonso and Webber would be, after being in the same team together. Especially if battling for the same positions on track.
- Vettel will continue to improve as a driver, but Alonso or Vettel, either one is extremely tough competition with a team built around them.. there is no easy option, both are hard teammates to have.
- Ferrari since 2009 have sort of have been strong but also not.. it's strange. Sort of similar to love/hate.. the cars been good/embaressing, or at least the PR/excuses/impression from the team has been embarressing.
- Despite what Webber says in the press, it wouldn't surprise me if he tries to carry on and tries to do a Rubens.. as long as he is competitive enough to do so.
- On the "number 2" driver front.. Webber overtook Vettel near the end of the race in China, and has had good treatment from the team of late, you wonder if the same thing would happen with Alonso/Ferrari
- Driving for Ferrari IS prestigious.
- Would be interesting to see raw pace comparison vs Alonso, especially over one lap.
- It would be a big change culture/car wise, as Webber has had input in the RBR cars since 2007. It would be a big change and he'd need to preseason to adjust and even so, might find himself feeling uncomfortable, staying at RBR safer in that respect.

#17 JamesRaynor

JamesRaynor

• 872 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:41

Wow, you are prepared to put a whole $83 dollars on the line. :rolleyes:

Webber would be throwing away millions of dollars of sponsorship that being a World Champion brings, if he were to retire immediately, after winning a WDC next year with Ferrari.

He would unquestionably go around for at least one more year.

#18 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:44

Wow, you are prepared to put a whole $83 dollars on the line. :rolleyes:

Webber would be throwing away millions of dollars of sponsorship that being a World Champion brings, if he were to retire immediately, after winning a WDC next year with Ferrari.

He would unquestionably go around for at least one more year.

he hinted rather strongly in 2010 that if he won the WDC "that just might do me."

#19 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 13:24

I suspect the reality would be different. Imagine for a second Mark turning up at the Australian Grand Prix as World Champion, with the number 1 on his car. That lure alone is probably enough.

Advertisement

#20 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 13:51

Mark had a self inflicted mountain biking injury prior to the Japanese GP while leading the WDC. He won't know for sure how much that injury affected his driving, but after than biking accident, his performance took a dive.

#21 SCEPurple

SCEPurple

• 326 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 14:12

If Mark were to retire in the next couple of years without ever winning the WDC, I wonder how will he be remembered?

In some ways I feel like he "deserves" at least 1 WDC, but... only because I like him?

#22 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 14:32

I will still view his time in F1 as resoundingly successful whether he wins a title, or doesn't.

Average boy from an average family on the opposite side of the world to the F1 circus, in a country that doesn't support open wheel racing in any meaningful way, rises almost to the top of F1 thru shear hard work and determination to become a multiple race winner and finishes in the top 3 in the WDC not once, but twice (and possibly 3 times)??

Gold to me. Not many drivers get all the way to F1, even fewer win a title.

Edited by NotSoSilentBob, 02 June 2012 - 14:35.

#23 SCEPurple

SCEPurple

• 326 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 15:15

I will still view his time in F1 as resoundingly successful whether he wins a title, or doesn't.

Average boy from an average family on the opposite side of the world to the F1 circus, in a country that doesn't support open wheel racing in any meaningful way, rises almost to the top of F1 thru shear hard work and determination to become a multiple race winner and finishes in the top 3 in the WDC not once, but twice (and possibly 3 times)??

That's a really nice way to view him

#24 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 16:27

Mark had a self inflicted mountain biking injury prior to the Japanese GP while leading the WDC. He won't know for sure how much that injury affected his driving, but after than biking accident, his performance took a dive.

If that was,s the case, a real shame.

#25 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 19:48

He's a down to earth guy and without the usual corporate BS of the F1 circus. He's a real man, not like so many of these dumb kids on the grid. I don't just mean his age, he's always had a level head on him.

I wouldn't say I'm a big follower of him but I'd love to see him win a WDC. I doubt he can leave the option so late as to move if he wins the WDC and stay if he doesn't, no team will give him that luxury.

I don't think its wise to go to Ferrari to try to win the WDC though. He'll be expected to be a better #2 than Massa but no more.

Alonso may be a good mate of his but Alonso is usually a personable guy outside the car, he often protects Massa in the press. You could argue its for the team but it seems sincere. The thing is, once in the car, he doesn't hesitate to never let Felipe through or do a sly overtake (remember China overtaking into the pits). In the car, Alonso will use all his cunning to get every advantage against Mark and I don't believe Mark will stand a chance.

What about Mark's driving style? I remember reading an article about the difference between him and Vettel but I forget what the differences were. Would they suit him in a Ferrari car? Ferrari used to be a classic understeering car which suited Massa and Schumi (brake understeer to induce oversteer) but it has radically changed over the last couple of years, I have no idea what kind of a beast it is today and whether it would suit Mark or not.

#26 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 23:04

:up:

#27 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 298 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:32

If Lewis really does leave McLaren :drunk: .......... I think Webber would be the best replacement!
I don't think McLaren would seek Webber unless Lewis is gone though.

mymemoryfails :)

#28 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:36

:up: :love:

If Lewis really does leave McLaren :drunk: .......... I think Webber would be the best replacement!
I don't think McLaren would seek Webber unless Lewis is gone though.

mymemoryfails :)

Why not? He and Jenson are mates also, Mark has worked with English teams a lot and knows how they tick, McLaren have been interested in him before.  ;)

#29 shunt

shunt

• 160 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:57

If Mark were to retire in the next couple of years without ever winning the WDC, I wonder how will he be remembered?

"Here with us this evening is 2x Monaco Grand Prix winner and 2012 world champion, Mark Webber..."

#30 Callahan

Callahan

• 607 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:17

"Here with us this evening is 2x Monaco Grand Prix winner and 2012 world champion, Mark Webber..."

promise ? :up:

Edited by Callahan, 03 June 2012 - 09:17.

#31 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:33

It's not the dream for every driver, no idea if it's one of MW's, but the overriding factor has to be the type of contract being offered. Both teams are capable of getting it right, but will they allow him to race the other guy? The odds are that anyone joining Ferrari will be required to support Alonso, and I'd say that was especially so on a short contract.

#32 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:45

:love:

#33 mtknot

mtknot

• 1,206 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 15:06

I don't see why he should go to Ferrari if he just wants to be the best driver, but if he wants a challenge I suppose its irresistible. It'd be interesting to have Webber and Alonso in the same team at this stage in their careers though. I think Webber just has had the short straw of ending up in the wrong teams and Alonso in the right teams.

Two time GP winner? How about three time?

#34 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 21:48

Heres a little clip of the Isle of Man TT, oh and its Mark you'll hear with "colourful language"! Video was taken by Mitch Evans too.

http://www.youtube.c...;feature=colike

#35 Callahan

Callahan

• 607 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:39

Heres a little clip of the Isle of Man TT, oh and its Mark you'll hear with "colourful language"! Video was taken by Mitch Evans too.

Jeezus that's insane

#36 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:18

I think a lot would depend on how he feels treated by the team, which is entirely different to what the public knows. Before now he would have been nuts to leave Red Bull - the only good options were Ferrari/McLaren ... and they werent there.

If he really does feel like they screw him over in favour of Vettel then Ferrari might make sense. After all, dont they openly say they favour the WDC leading driver? Usually no surprise but if somethign like Massa pushing for the championship happens again then he'd have their backing. Whereas RB seem to have been saying its all equal until push comes to shove then its 'maintain the gap'. I think you'd know where you stand from Day 1 with Ferrari ... deliver the goods and we've got your back.

Also, does he really have a frosty relationship with Horner? I thought they were co-owners of a lower tier team of some sort? Not something youd go into with someone you didnt like?

How sweet it would be though for him to win the WDC and take the #1 to Italy .... and watch the look on Marko's face :)

#37 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,393 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:34

Also, does he really have a frosty relationship with Horner? I thought they were co-owners of a lower tier team of some sort? Not something youd go into with someone you didnt like?

How sweet it would be though for him to win the WDC and take the #1 to Italy .... and watch the look on Marko's face :)

They are very close in their personal life,as you have alluded Marko is the problem although the story is all they do is exchange pleasantries,Mark deals with Horner on a day to day basis and Mateschitz direct if there is a bigger problem.

#38 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,393 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:52

Why not? He and Jenson are mates also, Mark has worked with English teams a lot and knows how they tick, McLaren have been interested in him before. ;)

I think McLaren will be looking at di Resta, same with Mercedes. The strongest rumours atm are if Schumacher retires, one team will take di Resta and the other will take Hamilton. Of course, Schumacher may still retire whilst Hamilton moves to Red Bull, leaving your vacancy at one of the teams.

#39 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 298 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:28

I wouldn't take Di Resta before Webber, but I'm not at McLaren!

mymemoryfails

Edited by mymemoryfails, 04 June 2012 - 08:28.

Advertisement

#40 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,543 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:39

:lol: at Mark's colourful landguage

#41 Paul Prost

Paul Prost

• 774 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:01

That still grates with me. He lost pole at Suzuka that year by less the a tenth to Vettel. That race was there for the taking. If he had won Suzuka the championship would probably have been his.

Did his busted shoulder cost him pole and the win in Suzuka? Who knows...Mark might have an idea though. I love riding and its a great way for athletes to stay fit..but he could have just stuck to a wind trainer or riding a road bike on quiet country roads.

#42 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:35

Joe Saward is of the opinion that Webber to Ferrari is a done deal for next year.

If so this ties up with other things i'm hearing surrounding Vettel's pre-contract with Ferrari for 2014 and rumours of Lewis leaving McLaren at seasons end so we could be looking at :-

Ferrari
Alonso
Webber

Red Bull
Vettel
Hamilton

Mclaren
Button
Di Resta?

Ferrari
Alonso
Vettel

Red Bull
Hamilton
Red Bull junior driver

McLaren
Button
Di Resta?

That being the case its something i'd look forward to seeing

#43 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:49

I don't see why he should go to Ferrari if he just wants to be the best driver, but if he wants a challenge I suppose its irresistible. It'd be interesting to have Webber and Alonso in the same team at this stage in their careers though. I think Webber just has had the short straw of ending up in the wrong teams and Alonso in the right teams.

Two time GP winner? How about three time?

You think that Webber is the wrong team now?

#44 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 13:30

Nice video! Mark is too funny!! :lol:

Did anyone see the picture Mark posted on Twitter from Monaco GP? Love how close to the walls they get.

Posted Image

http://twitpic.com/9sozvn

#45 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 13:51

Did his busted shoulder cost him pole and the win in Suzuka? Who knows...Mark might have an idea though. I love riding and its a great way for athletes to stay fit..but he could have just stuck to a wind trainer or riding a road bike on quiet country roads.

And THIS grates with me even more...when people act like Mark was doing something stupid when it happened.

He WASN'T. It was a FREAK accident. He WAS just riding down a quiet road with a mate, a normal perfectly fine road, and his mate hit a stone, came off, right in front of Mark, Mark hit him and went over. THAT WAS IT. He wasn't doing anything dumb or risky, just A QUIET RIDE.

People bang on about the shoulder, and Korea...but tell me, how many points did he lose when his idiot, bratty teammate turned into him in Turkey?

#46 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 15:53

And THIS grates with me even more...when people act like Mark was doing something stupid when it happened.

He WASN'T. It was a FREAK accident. He WAS just riding down a quiet road with a mate, a normal perfectly fine road, and his mate hit a stone, came off, right in front of Mark, Mark hit him and went over. THAT WAS IT. He wasn't doing anything dumb or risky, just A QUIET RIDE.

People bang on about the shoulder, and Korea...but tell me, how many points did he lose when his idiot, bratty teammate turned into him in Turkey?

not as many as he lost by bouncing off the wall and Britney's Merc in Korea. That's where he lost it. I can only fear how pi$$ed you'd be if it was an engine failure 9 laps from home which caused his DNF.

btw that's a great pic of Mark at the chicane, just shows how insanely accurate those drivers are.

#47 Zava

Zava

• 7,115 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 16:02

my reply is in the Webber vs Vettel topic (thx Mandzipop! :) )

#48 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 16:17

not as many as he lost by bouncing off the wall and Britney's Merc in Korea. That's where he lost it. I can only fear how pi$$ed you'd be if it was an engine failure 9 laps from home which caused his DNF.

he lost it way earlier than that with a series of crappy starts and a failure to grab it when it was available.

#49 skyfolker

skyfolker

• 393 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 20:04

Nice video! Mark is too funny!! :lol:

Did anyone see the picture Mark posted on Twitter from Monaco GP? Love how close to the walls they get.

Posted Image

http://twitpic.com/9sozvn

That was fantastic lap,although he wasn't fully satisfied with it,here is the comparison with last year's pole lap.

#50 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 20:58

TBH that lap looks better than 2010's qualy lap. From the tunnel to the start/finish is hair raising, man he cut it fine.