Photo

Mark Webber - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1038 replies to this topic

#601 KavB

KavB

• 1,068 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 00:50

still karne, another race without a mechanical DNF, stretches that record run to over 3 years!

Woah. I thought you got it wrong but you're right! That's an amazing run of reliability. I agree Mark has had issues here or there but at least they don't end your race.

It'd probably kill the Webber fans, but I think Red Bull have to back Vettel now if they want to win this title. The gap between Vettel and Mark isn't the problem. It's the fact Mark hasn't had a good run since Silverstone. This season reminds me of 2009. He had a good first half of the season, getting up to 2nd in the championship and then it all went down hill due to various issues and ended up far behind Vettel in the standings.

I hope he gets on top of his problems soon as I think he and Vettel have been the strongest pairing this year. The fact Red Bull are still first in the WCC despite not having the best car shows that they have performed great this year.

Advertisement

#602 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:04

It'd probably kill the Webber fans, but I think Red Bull have to back Vettel now if they want to win this title. The gap between Vettel and Mark isn't the problem. It's the fact Mark hasn't had a good run since Silverstone. This season reminds me of 2009. He had a good first half of the season, getting up to 2nd in the championship and then it all went down hill due to various issues and ended up far behind Vettel in the standings.

Damn straight it'd kill me since the problems are of RBR's making and not Mark's! Why should they back Vettel? They never backed Mark, even when he was further ahead than this. Vettel would never help him in a million years, so Mark should do the same.

#603 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 193 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:22

Damn straight it'd kill me since the problems are of RBR's making and not Mark's! Why should they back Vettel? They never backed Mark, even when he was further ahead than this. Vettel would never help him in a million years, so Mark should do the same.

To be fair Karne, Mark brought this all on himself by signing imo. I'm a huge Webber fan but since he signed I've had little sympathy for all the 'unfortunate' failures and problems he's experienced. (Not saying they're deliberately causing them, just that they're probably putting in next to no effort to solve/minimise them).

#604 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,823 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:27

Why should they back Vettel? They never backed Mark, even when he was further ahead than this.

Webber has never had that lead late in the championship though.

Vettel would never help him in a million years, so Mark should do the same.

Pure speculation out of your dislike for Vettel

#605 apoka

apoka

• 3,487 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:56

Food for thought: Since it doesn't look like Hamilton will join RB in 2014 and Vettel could well be off to Ferrari, Webber could actually become RB's lead driver. That would be quite odd in some way, because he looked close to retirement (or moving to a different team) for a few years now. Do you think he can have a golden last part of his career if he has the possibility to lead the team?

Edited by apoka, 29 September 2012 - 06:57.

#606 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 385 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:19

Food for thought: Since it doesn't look like Hamilton will join RB in 2014 and Vettel could well be off to Ferrari, Webber could actually become RB's lead driver. That would be quite odd in some way, because he looked close to retirement (or moving to a different team) for a few years now. Do you think he can have a golden last part of his career if he has the possibility to lead the team?

Webber still has the speed and the skills to still go on.

Yeah him with ??? at Red Bull would be nice.

#607 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,330 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:40

...It'd probably kill the Webber fans, but I think Red Bull have to back Vettel now if they want to win this title. The gap between Vettel and Mark isn't the problem. It's the fact Mark hasn't had a good run since Silverstone. This season reminds me of 2009. He had a good first half of the season, getting up to 2nd in the championship and then it all went down hill due to various issues and ended up far behind Vettel in the standings...

You don't back either driver to the exclusion of the other - until one is mathematically out of it. That means, not until it is completely impossible for one of the drivers to win. I said this is 2010 when Mark led and I say it now that Seb is leading. It is the fair thing to do - WDC's MUST earn their crown. A natural benefit is that it inspires both drivers continue fighting for the WCC. RBR isn't Ferrari - let's keep it that way.

Edited by bourbon, 29 September 2012 - 08:43.

#608 icecream

icecream

• 388 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:52

sure, but the car development will take the path which suits the number one driver.

#609 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:24

C'mon Mark.

You can still get into the points....

#610 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:01

sure he can, but closing down Alonso by 4 points a race isnt going to get him much.

#611 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:03

sure he can, but closing down Alonso by 4 points a race isnt going to get him much.

Still money to RBR and a step in the right direction for the WCC, right?

#612 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:06

bah, Red Bull could be a one car team at the moment and still win the WCC. I'm more fussed with Webber's personal results now.

#613 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 193 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:10

Still money to RBR and a step in the right direction for the WCC, right?

Well I despise Red Bull so it makes no difference to me.

#614 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:17

Great work from Mark to bounce back into the points after that @$^$%&#%&@Q#$^@$%&^%&@$%U&@%$& Frenchman wiped him out.

Start wasn't as good as usual, but I thought he was home and hosed into third and clear of 4th until the $!#^&!%@*#%^*@$^@$^%$&#^*^#%*U had his say.

Super work to catch the pack and then go +13 to get two points.

Sickened by the amount of luck flowing his teammate's way and none his way.

#615 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,483 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:21

Great work from Mark to bounce back into the points after that @$^$%&#%&@Q#$^@$%&^%&@$%U&@%$& Frenchman wiped him out.

Start wasn't as good as usual, but I thought he was home and hosed into third and clear of 4th until the $!#^&!%@*#%^*@$^@$^%$&#^*^#%*U had his say.

It is unebelieveable!!

Of course Webber will be dissapointed and pissed off, but when it went like it did - take two steps back and he's been really good this weekend. Qualified on the front-row with his team-mate and fought his way back into the points, effectively one-stopping. I was impressed by that.

#616 joshb

joshb

• 3,253 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:36

OK so dominating a weekend and getting a grand slam is lucky.

#617 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:42

Having two of your championship rivals (one your nearest rival for the win) wiped out by f*cking morons at T1 and then having Kobayashi asleep on the restart is lucky.

Or maybe Kobayashi was afraid Vettel would do a dangerous brake-test on him like he did to Button in Singapore.

#618 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,539 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:45

Webber was unlucky and Vettel wasn't.

#619 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:47

No , he means that the f@&@&ing frenchman did not chose Vettel to crash into. :lol:

Advertisement

#620 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:04

Having two of your championship rivals (one your nearest rival for the win) wiped out by f*cking morons at T1 and then having Kobayashi asleep on the restart is lucky.

Or maybe Kobayashi was afraid Vettel would do a dangerous brake-test on him like he did to Button in Singapore.

It wasn't good or lucky for Vettel that Webber was taken out.

Alonso going out was his fault and nothing to do with luck.

Good recovery by Mark BTW, I was impressed that he was able to do a 1-stopper while spending all that time behind slower cars.

#621 apoka

apoka

• 3,487 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:36

Webber was unlucky and Vettel wasn't.

Exactly. It doesn't make sense to say Vettel was lucky when he was dominating the entire weekend and deserved the race win. Webber was unlucky to meet Grosjean on track.

#622 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 1,073 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:13

Vettel was untouchable, Webber still had a decent race. He was 30 seconds behind Vettel (off memory) after the restart and finished about 55 seconds behind him. Hopefully he does alright in Korea.

#623 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:42

His teammate was lucky?

You forgot that his teammate lost 35pts due to faulty alternators, while he got perfect reliability out of that.

#624 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,823 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:47

You can't compare the time difference between running in clear air at the front versus driving through the pack

It's got to be the end of the wdc hopes though, they were slim before. Can't believe it was Grosjean again. I've held out hope for him all season cause he seemed quick but green, but that excuse is losing its weight

#625 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:28

You can't compare the time difference between running in clear air at the front versus driving through the pack

It's got to be the end of the wdc hopes though, they were slim before. Can't believe it was Grosjean again. I've held out hope for him all season cause he seemed quick but green, but that excuse is losing its weight

I just could not believe my eyes it was a bit like the Massa-Hamilton saga in the last year, only that in this case it was all the work of one driver. He could have closed in on Alonso and got many points for his team. The only good thing was that he and his side of the garage was fighting back and that the car seemed beautifully balanced and quick.

#626 KavB

KavB

• 1,068 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:45

Why do you always feel the need to bring Vettel into a discussion about Webber even when he has had NOTHING to do with what happened?

Webber was extremely unlucky today, though he had a very impressive drive to get back in the points. I think he would have made it a 1-2 with Vettel, but unfortunately he got taken out. It'd be a shame if Button beats him in the championship, as I think he has made better use of his equipment than Jenson.

#627 PorcupineTroy

PorcupineTroy

• 293 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:36

Unlucky for Webber today, although had he survived the first corner, Koba likely wouldn't have made the podium.

Strange to think that Webber only has two podiums through fifteen races this year.

#628 Rentta

Rentta

• 294 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:48

Exactly. It doesn't make sense to say Vettel was lucky when he was dominating the entire weekend and deserved the race win. Webber was unlucky to meet Grosjean on track.

He was also lucky in qualy thanks to raikkonen spin

#629 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:04

I think we have seen the best of Webber,he is on the slide now.Rarely gets a clean lap together in qualy and his bad days vastly out number the good.

He is still a great driver but next year will surely be his last.

I hope he can make some changes to his engineering staff and maybe find something new that can help, so he can have 1 last crack in 2013.

Edited by smoothcrim, 08 October 2012 - 05:08.

#630 apoka

apoka

• 3,487 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:16

He was also lucky in qualy thanks to raikkonen spin

Some people clearly have an agenda here. Vettel was fastest in Q2 and Q3, on another even faster lap and deserved pole. It wasn't exactly lucky. Without the spin, the order behind him would likely have been different, but after seeing the race yesterday, I think he would still have won it.

#631 JDo

JDo

• 48 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:20

I thought Mark had a really good weekend. Up the pointy end of the grid, s1and s3 where faster than seb in q3, he just ran too wide at the hairpin, and he could have almost stuck it p1 in the first run. Also, essentially doing a one stopper, good tyre conservation through traffic. Roll on next week, although this years chances are certainly gone now!

#632 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:23

I think it is a good chance that Mark is able to do well in Korea. In Japan he was relatively close to Seb. I don't give much attention to the Korean ghosts of 2010.

#633 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,539 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:51

Well he did reasonably well last year, in a great fight with Hamilton - although not necessarily on Seb's tail. So I am more optimistic of him doing well there than say Abu Dhabi...

#634 gowebber

gowebber

• 399 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 13:04

Lol doesn't get much better than this. The fastest driver on the planet :p with the fastest runner in Japans fastest road car and my dream car! Classic!

Yeaaaah baby! :)

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Edited by gowebber, 11 October 2012 - 13:04.

#635 gowebber

gowebber

• 399 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 13:22

The Bolt man has arrived! Lol auditioning for the next Fast and Furious??

http://twitpic.com/b2i48j

Edited by gowebber, 11 October 2012 - 13:23.

#636 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 13:41

It seems that they use Mark to promote more the Nissan brand while Seb covers the Infiniti. It seems a good strategy and the video is good.

#637 Webber

Webber

• 18 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 13:50

It seems that they use Mark to promote more the Nissan brand while Seb covers the Infiniti. It seems a good strategy and the video is good.

who owns whom ? nissan owns infiniti or the other way around ?

and i wonder what will bolt do in an F1 car :D , he will be quick no doubt

#638 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:39

Webber confident after good start to Korean GP

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/91538.html

#639 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,539 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:29

who owns whom ? nissan owns infiniti or the other way around ?

and i wonder what will bolt do in an F1 car :D , he will be quick no doubt

Nissan owns Infiniti - Renault owns 44% of Nissan.

As for Bolt in an F1 car, considering he's written off a couple of Bimmers in recent years if he could even fit into an F1 car he'd probably make Grosjean look tame in comparison... :lol:

Advertisement

#640 gowebber

gowebber

• 399 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:10

Fk me its hard being a Webber fan sometimes. He gets the rough end of the stick far too much luck wise. Seriously it seems almost every weekend something fks up his qualli or race. Anyone care to list all the problems he has had with the car this year. Theres been at least a few gearboxes, KERS and now this in FP3

Hope they can sort out the car for Qualli. :/

Edited by gowebber, 13 October 2012 - 03:21.

#641 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,419 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:14

I'm happy as long as there's no change resluting in incurring a penalty. He ran on supersofts yesterday and not like he has no experience and can look at vettels data, and will also get some supersofts data in Q2 which shouldn't be a problem getting thry to Q3, so should be OK

#642 turssi

turssi

• 1,191 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:22

Engine trouble that kept him in the pits then for the last 10mins of FP3?

#643 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:32

Fk me its hard being a Webber fan sometimes. He gets the rough end of the stick far too much luck wise. Seriously it seems almost every weekend something fks up his qualli or race. Anyone care to list all the problems he has had with the car this year. Theres been at least a few gearboxes, KERS and now this in FP3

Hope they can sort out the car for Qualli. :/

What's happened now?

#644 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 1,073 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:36

I'm happy as long as there's no change resluting in incurring a penalty. He ran on supersofts yesterday and not like he has no experience and can look at vettels data, and will also get some supersofts data in Q2 which shouldn't be a problem getting thry to Q3, so should be OK

He will be alright, he will get a proper go on them in Q2 plus two runs in Q3, so it shouldn't impact on his performance too much anyway

#645 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 1,073 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:38

What's happened now?

RB spent the last 10 minutes or so looking at his engine (presumably as they were looking at the rear of the car and Renault engineers were there) and he missed a chance to have a go at a Qualifying simulation.

#646 superuser

superuser

• 55 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:53

"Electrical troubles with the engine". Probably the f**king alternator again. Renault really need to get their s**t together! At least Mark is lucky that it happened during FP and no, there is no penalty for chagrining the alternator. Now I'll bite my fingernails all the time during the race. If Webber or, even worse, Vettel got DNF because of this, I'll be beyond mad.

#647 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:00

"Electrical troubles with the engine". Probably the f**king alternator again. Renault really need to get their s**t together! At least Mark is lucky that it happened during FP and no, there is no penalty for chagrining the alternator. Now I'll bite my fingernails all the time during the race. If Webber or, even worse, Vettel got DNF because of this, I'll be beyond mad.

Alternator problem again?

If that is the issue, then Webber is a lucky guy to have had that problem in free practice than in actual races like Vettel in Valencia and Monza.

#648 Zava

Zava

• 4,977 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:01

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener
#F1 #Korea Problem with the engine mapping on @AussieGrits car. Car wouldn't fire up. Problem solved for qualifying.

#649 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,419 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:05

cool, that's not too bad at all

#650 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:21

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener
#F1 #Korea Problem with the engine mapping on @AussieGrits car. Car wouldn't fire up. Problem solved for qualifying.

Great news! :up: