Photo

Mark Webber - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1038 replies to this topic

#51 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 758 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 22:36

Interesting comparison there. I was surprised at how slow they were revving in a couple of places, and intrigued at the different gearing - I wonder if that is a this year/last year thing, or driver preferences at work ...

Advertisement

#52 pazza

pazza

• 116 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 22:46

Yep the last part of S2 and his S3 was just epic.

#53 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,743 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:57

Smashing :D

#54 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,072 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:40

he lost it way earlier than that with a series of crappy starts and a failure to grab it when it was available.

He'd actually changed his driving style, to be much safer. It was a deliberate strategy.

As for politics in the team back then: they cost him the championship. Just remember the series of things that effected his performances that season, which were solely team based. And an example for that season, was that Webber did not tell Horner, in fact only two people in the team knew, and they sure had to, because he was having cortizone injections to relieve the pain, for a couple of races. And who knows about the burn and bruising issues and other things too, because the car did not fit him. But he never blamed the injury. Anyone who has raced a car would know that it would have effected him.

Edited by Melbourne Park, 05 June 2012 - 08:41.

#55 W154

W154

• 321 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:39

Nice video! Mark is too funny!! :lol:

Did anyone see the picture Mark posted on Twitter from Monaco GP? Love how close to the walls they get.

Posted Image

http://twitpic.com/9sozvn

Close? He missed by a bloody mile!
If you want to see "close" go to The Nostalgia Forum, Bruce McLaren, 2nd June 1970, page 2, post 64.
That white stuff on his tyres is paint from where he was bouncing off the kerbs, walls and armco around the circuit
THAT , my son, is close .
Oh, and while you are there, enjoy the aural delight at post 54.

#56 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,128 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 13:06

Posts deleted for being off topic.

#57 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,168 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 13:25

Was hoping to see an onboard of Monaco pole lap at some point.. yay finally!!

#58 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 13:55

Hell of a lap,down right scary how fast the cars are these days arounf Monaco.Epic driving.

#59 faaaz

faaaz

• 1,870 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 13:57

Wow it almost looked liked he went through the barriers there at Nouvelle chicane, amazing. Also it was a much cleaner lap compared to his 2010 pole effort, where he missed the apex at Rascasse and still managed to put it #1. Just shows how much more dominant the Red bull was that year.

Advertisement

#60 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 1,310 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:18

Posted Image

#61 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,837 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:47

I am convinced he was on for the win there. was coming up to stops and he was reeling them both in, with more fuel on board as well, then, well we all know what happened :(

#62 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:28

I am convinced he was on for the win there. was coming up to stops and he was reeling them both in, with more fuel on board as well, then, well we all know what happened :(

In Monaco 06 the couple of laps before he retired he lost something like 5-10 seconds in traffic with the stewards doing bugger all to help him out.

Edited by Meanbeakin, 07 June 2012 - 03:31.

#63 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,743 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:07

Am I missing something? was the pole,comparison link removed? Im sure I saw somethign and thought I'll come back to that later ..... :confused:

#64 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,837 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:51

it may have been moved to the mark v seb thead?

#65 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,743 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:59

Thanks, I'll have a look. I think Ive avoided it for a while because it was getting too stupid again with conspiracy theories and what not.

#66 slideways

slideways

• 3,219 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:13

It would have been a fairytale but in hindsight I don't think he would have got them. It was certainly possible though.

#67 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 1,310 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:17

If nothing else, at least he helped RBR get their first podium, and their second!

#68 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,804 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 21:09

Why did Mark shake everyone else's hand but ignore Sergio Perez in the Drivers Press Conference yesterday? Perez's only response was an amused raise of the eyebrows as if he expected it, and an awkward avoiding of eye contact when Mark went past.

I didn't think there was any animosity between the two, so I wonder what the reason could be. The only connection I can think of is Ferrari.

#69 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 1,310 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 23:24

Was a little odd, wonder if that was what JB started talking to him about straight away? "What's going on with him?" or something?

#70 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,804 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 23:43

Was a little odd, wonder if that was what JB started talking to him about straight away? "What's going on with him?" or something?

Possibly, you could see Perez watching them suspiciously. I would dearly love to know why (no matter how trivial) if only F1 had journalists.......

#71 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,837 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:08

Possibly, you could see Perez watching them suspiciously. I would dearly love to know why (no matter how trivial) if only F1 had journalists.......

haha, i know right.

link to the vid?

#72 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:19

Pretty bizarre,i wonder why they dont like each other?

#73 Mohawkk

Mohawkk

• 63 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:08

They had a falling out over the contract negotiations with ferrari. Some things have been said and some things were leaked from one side.

Also Button and Webber are on the verge of announcing their engagement, Well thats the impression i get from watching that press con.

#74 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 1,310 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:10

They actually already had the honeymoon!

Posted Image

Hopefully pic works :p

#75 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:18

So whats the story then?

Hamilton to RBR and Webber to Mclaren?

#76 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,418 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:31

haha love the stinkeye perez gives them

#77 nomi

nomi

• 288 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:38

They had a falling out over the contract negotiations with ferrari. Some things have been said and some things were leaked from one side.

Also Button and Webber are on the verge of announcing their engagement, Well thats the impression i get from watching that press con.

Mark had a falling out with Perez??

#78 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 14:13

Sorry but I don't see why completely seperate negotiations would cause a fallout. That's if any actually took place in the first place.

#79 Mohawkk

Mohawkk

• 63 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 15:26

well the story goes along the lines of mark getting 1or2 year contract with perez having to wait until he gets more experience(to see how he develops)
Something was said to the wrong person that could sink that, so thats why the falling out....
this is all rumour and chinese whispers at this stage so my be alittle off, but we will all see in due time

Advertisement

#80 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,168 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 18:40

Has struggled all weekend in Canada, probably hoping to salvage a podium/3rd place..

#81 Redback

Redback

• 681 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 21:03

Tyre-warmer issues in Q3 according to Horner.

Mark seems to have been chasing the set-up all weekend though.

#82 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,743 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 00:22

They actually already had the honeymoon!

Posted Image

Hopefully pic works :p

And John Button 2 or 3 down? Wouldn't you just shit yourself if you took your seat in front and thought I know those voices and turned around

#83 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,110 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:22

Has struggled all weekend in Canada, probably hoping to salvage a podium/3rd place..

+1

Some solid points with possibly a podium would be a good result.

#84 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 17:38

Mark just said in an interview on Dutch television that he will be racing in F1 next year.

"I will be racing in Formula 1 next year. That's clear."

#85 jpk

jpk

• 28 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 18:32

Mark being a few seconds back off the front pack meant his pit stop dropped him way back into traffic. He doesn't seem as hooked up this weekend.

#86 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,418 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 18:41

Mark being a few seconds back off the front pack meant his pit stop dropped him way back into traffic. He doesn't seem as hooked up this weekend.

lap times pretty much on par with the leaders after the first stop

#87 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,474 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 22:39

lap times pretty much on par with the leaders after the first stop

Absolutely, so even if the end result was a bit disappointing, his underlying race-pace was great.

#88 Kerch

Kerch

• 1,064 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 23:14

What a grumpy interview with the BBC.

#89 Black Widow

Black Widow

• 647 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 00:52

Don't think it was a case of Mark not being hooked up.

Mark says "In the first ten laps, we had a small issue with the engine which we had to manage, but then I settled into the pace."

Horner says "With Mark, again we were running okay early on. He had an engine hesitation in the first few laps, but then he settled into a good rhythm."

Lom says "................."

Hmmm, I think Renault on the back foot with this one. :rotfl:

Those first 10 laps really hurt.

#90 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,047 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:08

Mark just said in an interview on Dutch television that he will be racing in F1 next year.

"I will be racing in Formula 1 next year. That's clear."

Yeah,he said as much whilst Holidaying in Noosa,Qld Oz.,last Xmas,i think it will be with RB however but you never know.

Dropping off the early pace with an engine problem did the damage,then it was compounded with poor strategy,you can't wait for a safety car forever,they should have pitted Mark when he wanted.

#91 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 1,310 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:46

I don't think Mark was too bad on Sunday, pace seemed good, perhaps better than Vettel's after lap 10. Strategy was poor, engine issue didn't help, Saturday was not good at all. Mark can only really be blamed for one of those.

#92 joshb

joshb

• 3,240 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:46

Getting mired in traffic after his stop finished him off really. Without that he could've picked up the pieces when Vettel/Alonso ran into trouble

#93 slideways

slideways

• 3,219 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:49

Yeah, you could almost say that nothing whatsoever was his fault this weekend!

From a strong win to a poor weekend, let's call a spade a spade?

Edited by slideways, 11 June 2012 - 07:53.

#94 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,418 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:32

there's nothing wrong with disecting his race.

#95 Callahan

Callahan

• 594 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:40

No one that I know of has said that, except you :confused:

#96 slideways

slideways

• 3,219 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:56

there's nothing wrong with disecting his race.

As long as it's the car/team/pitstop/strategy you talk about. Look at the mistakes and you get torn apart. I would just love to hear you lot for once say it was a poor effort. My head would probably explode.

But you know, the tyre warmers and the engine niggles and the pitstop and the strategy and the 1 stoppers and the final chicance and the dot dot bloody dot

#97 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 1,310 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 13:05

I'm happy to lay into Mark when I think he deserves it, and his qually was shit, and he lost 1-2 secs with that mistake that didn't cost anything, otherwise I think his race was fine. Had a good start, pace looked very good once the engine issue cleared up (confirmed by pit reporters, Mark, and Horner), Forix confirms this, and did all anyone could do in traffic with the slowest car out there in a straight line.

If you keep Marks performance as it was, and give him a reliable car and a good strategy, he would've comfortably been 2nd, perhaps 3rd, I feel, and I don't think that's a poor effort. Naturally, you can do the same for Seb and Fernando and Mark would've been 4th/5th in hypothetical world, Seb 3rd, not great maybe, but not bad.

Edited by LoudHoward, 11 June 2012 - 13:07.

#98 gowebber

gowebber

• 399 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 13:11

As long as it's the car/team/pitstop/strategy you talk about. Look at the mistakes and you get torn apart. I would just love to hear you lot for once say it was a poor effort. My head would probably explode.

But you know, the tyre warmers and the engine niggles and the pitstop and the strategy and the 1 stoppers and the final chicance and the dot dot bloody dot

Oh dear *double face palm*. It was a poor effort was it now??? I suppose its Mark's fault he was slow for 10 or so laps because of the engine issue, or he was poor because he got a crappy second pitstop call that put him behind cars that were faster than the RB8 on the straights. Mark's pace was good however if you looked at the evidence you would realise he was not able to show the RB8's true potential at Canada and move up the order.

Edited by D.M.N., 11 June 2012 - 14:03.
Remove unnecessary JPG of trollface

#99 slideways

slideways

• 3,219 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 13:23

Besides a handful of races his race pace has been good in every Grand Prix he's ever started in.

LH - Yeah very impressed with his starts the last couple of races.

Edited by slideways, 11 June 2012 - 13:27.

Advertisement

#100 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,397 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 13:41

I was flummoxed as to why they did not pit him earlier, thought I was missing something but then ... yep ... fell backwards.

WEIRD decision.