Photo

Mark Webber - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1038 replies to this topic

#151 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 191 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 15:34

Goodbye Ferrari rumour. He was very honest, he has no one else making offers and has to perform to stay at Red Bull.

In?

Advertisement

#152 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,847 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 23:39

Goodbye Ferrari rumour. He was very honest, he has no one else making offers and has to perform to stay at Red Bull.

quite an odd way of interpreting it. his quotes don't reflect that at all.

reading between the lines, it sounds like he has many options, but his first preference is to stay with RB.

#153 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,112 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:10

I think it's odds on that Mark will stay at RBR in 2013. Seb says he'd be happy for that to be the case:

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/81920.html

#154 joshb

joshb

• 3,247 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 21:00

I think it's odds on that Mark will stay at RBR in 2013. Seb says he'd be happy for that to be the case:

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/81920.html

Is that a "Happy because I can beat him" comment
or is it genuine???
After all, the 2 of them have worked well this year and have helped to take RB from 3rd/4th best car to probably 2nd best behind Lotus. The 2 drivers who have scored consistantly and have played their part in RB leading the WCC table.
If they get the best car then fine, gloves off and slog it out personally but for now until they get the best car and a lead in the standings, work together to get there quicker

#155 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 21:37

or is it genuine???
After all, the 2 of them have worked well this year and have helped to take RB from 3rd/4th best car to probably 2nd best behind Lotus. The 2 drivers who have scored consistantly and have played their part in RB leading the WCC table.
If they get the best car then fine, gloves off and slog it out personally but for now until they get the best car and a lead in the standings, work together to get there quicker

Because one of the senior figures in this team is a babysitter taking care of him. From AMuS:

"Mark Webber war eine Spur langsamer. "Aber Valencia zählte noch nie zu Marks Lieblingsstrecken. So wie Bahrain", merkte Red Bull-Berater Helmut Marko mit einem Lächeln an. " Google translate it if you must. Basically Marko is laughing because Valencia isn't one of Webber's favourite tracks and he was slower in FP.

#156 joshb

joshb

• 3,247 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 21:50

Because one of the senior figures in this team is a babysitter taking care of him. From AMuS:

"Mark Webber war eine Spur langsamer. "Aber Valencia zählte noch nie zu Marks Lieblingsstrecken. So wie Bahrain", merkte Red Bull-Berater Helmut Marko mit einem Lächeln an. " Google translate it if you must. Basically Marko is laughing because Valencia isn't one of Webber's favourite tracks and he was slower in FP.

He doesn't need Marko babysitting him, he's been around long enough, he's got a proven track record. He could still use Marko as an advisor but I still think he's capable of making a big decision if need be.

As for the weekend, this is a weaker track for Mark I'm sure (as well as being a good one for Seb) and I'd be disappointed if Seb didn't beat him here but its roles reversed next up at Silverstone. Mark flies round there.

#157 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,048 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:07

Yeah,who knows what his motivation for those comments are,like Marko he rarely says anything + about Mark.Whispers Hamilton is being shopped around so i don't thing Seb. would want him at RB so that may be a possible reason.

#158 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,847 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:52

vettel/marko is like pedrosa/puig imo

i don't know why he even bothers wearing a red bull uniform. he should be decked out in seb merch.

#159 KOMORI

KOMORI

• 427 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:54

Yep, Courier Mail. Todays paper. Two weeks ago He was a Ferrari Driver, done deal.

Wait: Courier Mail printed a sports article that did NOT include The Broncos, Darren Lockyer or Mal Meninga?? Surely you jest??

<also a brisbanite!>

Advertisement

#160 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,189 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:12

Hahahhahaaha :D

#161 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,112 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:11

vettel/marko is like pedrosa/puig imo

i don't know why he even bothers wearing a red bull uniform. he should be decked out in seb merch.

:lol:

#162 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,112 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:16

or is it genuine???

A bit of both imo josh.

And Red Bull probably have the strongest pairing going around at the minute so why change it.

#163 slideways

slideways

• 3,227 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:08

quite an odd way of interpreting it. his quotes don't reflect that at all.

reading between the lines, it sounds like he has many options, but his first preference is to stay with RB.

Well, his quotes rubbish any Ferrari rumour, and he focuses on wanting to retain his seat at Red Bull, and that it's up to him improving his results and impressing his bosses to stay on.

Focusing on his own teams perceptions of his performance as well as them deciding 'what they want', to me pointed to a man with no 'better' options (McLaren/Merc).

I do think that Renault, Force India or another team would snap him up if possible, but he's said many times he wouldn't be interested. Then again Renault may surprise us all in the second half of the season.

#164 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,112 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:57

Webbo only getting 4 laps completed in FP3 doesn't bode well for qualifying. Just making Q3 would be a good result today imho.

#165 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,478 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:12

Getting to Q3 will be easy! The RB8 clearly looks like the quickest one here, but of course, the gremlins strike Webber's car again.... :/

#166 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,419 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:57

damn looked like he was struggling enough.

On a side note, booked my tickets to monza last week :clap: :clap:

A little worrying considering they haven't emailed me the tickets yet but say they have alreadt been "acquired" :(

What is webbers form like at monza? I honestly can't remember. Off the top of my head I would say he's pretty neutral there??

(motherfker better get a podium...)

Edited by goldenboy, 23 June 2012 - 11:01.

#167 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,112 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:13

damn looked like he was struggling enough.

On a side note, booked my tickets to monza last week :clap: :clap:

A little worrying considering they haven't emailed me the tickets yet but say they have alreadt been "acquired" :(

What is webbers form like at monza? I honestly can't remember. Off the top of my head I would say he's pretty neutral there??

(motherfker better get a podium...)

Good onya goldenboy, i'm sure you'll love the weekend. :up: Unfortunately Webbo's record at Monza is pretty ordinary. Don't think he's ever got a podium there.

#168 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,112 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:24

Getting to Q3 will be easy! The RB8 clearly looks like the quickest one here, but of course, the gremlins strike Webber's car again.... :/

Dunno about easy mate but i hope you're right. Not exactly a great track for Mark unless he enjoys the airborne route!! :lol: That & the qualies being very tight this season.

Apparently the FP3 gremlins were to do with the brakes.

#169 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,478 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:29

Half a second off (the result of losing third free, and him not taking too well to this circuit) Vettel should still get him through to Q3 I think. Once there surely he's got to aim for the top six.
He'll do a good number of laps in Q1 to get into it again.

#170 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,419 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:22

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

#171 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:24

WTF....
That Red Bull suddenly looked pedestrian, and so did Vettel in Q1.
:confused:

#172 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,112 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:26

OneHD now saying Mark had DRS issues in Q1!! A master cylinder prob in FP3. Jeez these gremlins are giving me the bloody $#*t's.

Edited by DILLIGAF, 23 June 2012 - 12:31.

#173 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 1,311 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:27

I swear he had his DRS open? :/

#174 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,112 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:29

Stuck open i think.

#175 Callahan

Callahan

• 594 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:30

Hydraulics, brakes and KERS problems........JOKE :(

Edited by Callahan, 23 June 2012 - 12:33.

#176 P123

P123

• 8,093 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:31

Intermittent issue? He didn't have it open over the start line at one stage- so either not available at the end or beginning of one of his laps. No DRS would explain a chunk of his missing pace.

#177 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,419 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:49

Mark Webber - Q1 - technical issues
Mark Webber - post qually interview - technical issues

whats a bet he goes to take a piss now and the lights go out and the toilet explodes in his face :lol:

#178 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,419 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:51

on the bright side looks like everyone else is going to massively burn through their options

#179 Callahan

Callahan

• 594 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:52

Mark's car is a dog this weekend. He should leave it tied to the fence and go home.

Advertisement

#180 joshb

joshb

• 3,247 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 13:25

If he didn't have bad luck, he'd have no luck

#181 Redback

Redback

• 682 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 14:38

This is what happens when you talk to Ferrari... :)

#182 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,478 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 15:22

His DRS did not open. It wasn't that it was stuck open. Webber was on options, but I think the times he did were very, very good, all things considered. He's come from a similar position before, to finish third, but while that wont be possible on this track lay-out, he'll definitely come through for points. He's got three sets of fresh primes, and two sets of fresh options, which means he's got a raft of strategy alternatives to choose from.

Edited by race addicted, 23 June 2012 - 15:53.

#183 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,112 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:14

This is what frustrates me the most as a Webber fan. You build your hopes up at the start of each season only for reliability issues to bring you down again. Then just when you think he's back in the game (like winning Monaco) more gremlins creep in like here at Valencia that completely ruin his weekend.

For me Webbo is the quintessential "supporter's nightmare" :(

Edited by DILLIGAF, 24 June 2012 - 04:15.

#184 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:28

Martin Brundle, Nurburgring 2009.

And it's so true and always true.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

And of course, the worst thing possible, Mark's car falling to pieces, and Golden Boy gets pole. :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

Here's hoping Mark can repeat China 2011...

#185 KOMORI

KOMORI

• 427 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:20

I'd like to think you're right Karne.....

But Valencia =/= China: overtaking is not *impossible* but it certainly ain't easy... add to that the Red Bull propensity to gear the car fairly short to benefit qually times rather than overtaking...... could be a loooooong race for Mark, and any points salvaged will be a bonus IMHO.

#186 Callahan

Callahan

• 594 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:59

Mark has enough sets of brand new tyres to make a difference, but at this track it'll be tough to finish up the front but we know he will do his best. I'm surprised no one spotted Marko hanging around Mark's car after P1. :)

#187 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:18

Mark has enough sets of brand new tyres to make a difference, but at this track it'll be tough to finish up the front but we know he will do his best. I'm surprised no one spotted Marko hanging around Mark's car after P1. :)

This is a very hard track to overtake. Mark would be lucky to get into the points in today's race. 8-10th position would be about the most probably finishing position given his P18 start. He will struggle to overtake in the DRS zone as he is down on straight line top speed. IMO, this will be a very long and forgettable race for Webber.

#188 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:25

Mark should be praying for a perfectly timed safety car

#189 wonk123

wonk123

• 926 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:00

It's hard to know what strategy to try. If he has had gearbox problems, he may as well change the box and take the penalty, it's not like he is going much farther backwards. I am guessing if it is very hot the softs may not last long, so maybe start on softs and pit lap 1, then some clear air with the softs out of the way. He has 2 new sets of mediums and the one set with 1 lap on them. Then I a hoping the to 10 guys tires fall off the cliff dumping them in the lower mid pack of guys on mediums. From there it's a lottery. What will probably happen is he will struggle his way up to 11th and get no points while Seb and LH run away, and even Fernando picks up a heap of points.... Hi Sanjiro

#190 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,536 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:00

This is a very hard track to overtake. Mark would be lucky to get into the points in today's race. 8-10th position would be about the most probably finishing position given his P18 start. He will struggle to overtake in the DRS zone as he is down on straight line top speed. IMO, this will be a very long and forgettable race for Webber.

Don't know about that - the last time he was that far down in the field at Valencia it was one of his shorter and most memorable races...

#191 Callahan

Callahan

• 594 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:09

It's hard to know what strategy to try. If he has had gearbox problems, he may as well change the box and take the penalty, it's not like he is going much farther backwards. I am guessing if it is very hot the softs may not last long, so maybe start on softs and pit lap 1, then some clear air with the softs out of the way. He has 2 new sets of mediums and the one set with 1 lap on them. Then I a hoping the to 10 guys tires fall off the cliff dumping them in the lower mid pack of guys on mediums. From there it's a lottery. What will probably happen is he will struggle his way up to 11th and get no points while Seb and LH run away, and even Fernando picks up a heap of points.... Hi Sanjiro

Well wonk, I was thinking the same thing with the early pitstop and change to mediums, and throw in a safety car and some carnage at the start and just drive the arse of it.

#192 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:08

mark my words, mark will crash out of frustration today . doesn't like the circuit , way out of position

#193 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,797 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:10

mark my words, mark will crash out of frustration today . doesn't like the circuit , way out of position

I'm expecting that, also if his start is as abysmal as usual he might be last by the 2nd corner.

#194 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,112 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:33

Well wonk, I was thinking the same thing with the early pitstop and change to mediums, and throw in a safety car and some carnage at the start and just drive the arse of it.

I'll jump on board that thinking too Callahan. :up: We can live in hope!! :)

#195 joshb

joshb

• 3,247 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 13:57

Congrats on a great recovery

#196 Callahan

Callahan

• 594 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 14:00

WOW....19th to 4th and now 2nd in the championship. Not bad for a no.2 driver. I thought he was stuffed mid race but fresh tyres and a lot of carnage certainly helped but he never gave up and he will be very happy with that. :) :)

#197 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 14:13

Um, no? :wave:

#198 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 14:26

You can't make this shit up... What a brilliant result considering the circumstances!

I always hated Valencia, because that track is so dull normally. But today was a heck of a race. Glad I watched it.

#199 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,112 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 21:41

Nothing that special about the drive but Mark's gotta be happy with the result. Back in the game again. :)

Advertisement

#200 joshb

joshb

• 3,247 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 22:03

Nothing that special about the drive but Mark's gotta be happy with the result. Back in the game again. :)

he's quietly keeping up. He's definately going in under the radar and that might be advantagous