Photo

Mark Webber - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1038 replies to this topic

#251 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,813 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:26

Best weekend of his career in a competitive car. Easily.

Advertisement

#252 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,587 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:27

If we all chip in and get him one of these we'll be good!

Posted Image

:rotfl:

#253 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,587 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:28

His best win?

I dunno - Monaco 2010 was pretty awesome purely through the sheer dominance of it...

#254 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:30

He did alright today, although you would expect Red Bull to win on an aero track...

But well done to Mark, I don't see him going all the way in the championship though. Second half is a weakness for him with those tracks et cetera. He usually struggles to match Vettel at Hockenheim, Hungaroring and Spa and those are the three rounds that are upcoming, aren't they?

#255 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

I was thinking Monaco 2010 too. As far as fighting goes, don't forget the drive-through penalty + win at the 'Ring.
But this race is well up there.

#256 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,166 posts

I dunno - Monaco 2010 was pretty awesome purely through the sheer dominance of it...

I'd have to agree. This weekend has required different skills in the wet and dry, and had Vettel covered all weekend in both conditions.

#257 JDo

JDo

• 48 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:32

His best win?

No, his first was the sweetest. A drive through penalty and still smashed the field - although it was pretty cool huh, absolutely enjoyed it. Was a bit concerned initially, but as is normally the case with Mark, you just gotta have faith!

#258 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:33

Awesome race!

After the last pit stop he was really pushing Alonso and Ferrari into making a decision: pit late and having to overtake Mark on track or pit early and risking to not being able to hold him off. And after they made their decision Mark put the strings together. Also nice, that Ferrari opted for the version where Mark could overtake Alonso for the win instead of the other one that would have meant Mark to be defending the lead. Beautiful to watch.

#259 Jayman

Jayman

• 14 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:37

His first win in spite of a stop go penalty was impressive as well. Germany was it? He's had some great wins.

Advertisement

#260 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,033 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:39

I'd rate Monaco higher.

Still - brilliant job Mark. Go for WDC!

And Hungary 2010.. And Germany 2010.

Damn, Mark is full of absolutely awesome wins!

Edited by sofarapartguy, 08 July 2012 - 14:40.

#261 boost

boost

• 2,192 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:42

Fantastic win for Webber :up:

#262 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,508 posts

Alonso going for his 3rd win of the season, second in a row.. (only driver to win multiple races) on a great run, most people agree Alonso has been driver of the season so far and Ferrari car isn't slow these days.. Webber matched him in quali (lap time wise) and overtook him with 5 or so laps to go for the win. Pretty damn sweet way to win. Overtaking for the win is so rare in F1, unlike MotoGP. It was a clean race to, dry and no SC's.

Agree Monaco and Nurburgring were sweet as well but yeah maybe it's just cause this one is most recent :lol: , but if there was one driver you'd want to overtake for the win it'd be Alonso. Then Hamilton.

#263 LukeM

LukeM

• 966 posts

He did alright today, although you would expect Red Bull to win on an aero track...

But well done to Mark, I don't see him going all the way in the championship though. Second half is a weakness for him with those tracks et cetera. He usually struggles to match Vettel at Hockenheim, Hungaroring and Spa and those are the three rounds that are upcoming, aren't they?

Hockenheim should be interesting, in 2010 his pace was a mystery as traditionally he went pretty well round there. At Hungaroring and Spa he always goes well at, and I think hes very good around Monza too but hasnt really had an opportunity to show it yet in races. I think hes real problems will be at Singapore, India, and Abu Dhabi.

#264 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,587 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:45

Alonso going for his 3rd win of the season, second in a row.. (only driver to win multiple races) on a great run, most people agree Alonso has been driver of the season so far and Ferrari car isn't slow these days.. Webber matched him in quali (lap time wise) and overtook him with 5 or so laps to go for the win. Pretty damn sweet way to win. Overtaking for the win is so rare in F1, unlike MotoGP. It was a clean race to, dry and no SC's.

Agree Monaco and Nurburgring were sweet as well but yeah maybe it's just cause this one is most recent :lol: , but if there was one driver you'd want to overtake for the win it'd be Alonso. Then Hamilton.

As opposed to Maldonado :lol:

Agree it was a pretty satisfying win - after last year I said I'd be happy for Mark to get another win or two, and he's gone and won Monaco and the British GP. I am not going to even think about the championship apart from saying that anything else he does now is a bonus for me :up: :)

#265 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,508 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:46

It wasn't one of those Merc engine overtakes either, where they use KERS/DRS and are well ahead before the braking zone.. this was a closely fought overtake and Alonso made no big mistakes.. Alonso still had some pace at the end too, it's not like he fell off the cliff, he only finished a few secs behind, unlike Kimi in China for example. Button overtake Vettel in Canada last season for the win, but that was with Vettel spinning/error on a wet/dry track.

#266 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:48

Hockenheim should be interesting, in 2010 his pace was a mystery as traditionally he went pretty well round there. At Hungaroring and Spa he always goes well at, and I think hes very good around Monza too but hasnt really had an opportunity to show it yet in races. I think hes real problems will be at Singapore, India, and Abu Dhabi.

Yeah I know that he won in Hungary and all of that, but Seb had that one in the bag two years ago before making a stupid rookie error dropping to far behind the safety car. In Belgium he got beaten last year, but to be fair I think that's his best shot in the coming few races.

But without the extraordinary aero advantage this year I'd not be surprised if RBR struggle in Belgium. They will lose big chunks of time on those big straights, and unlike Monza there is not much heavy braking to compensate for that. Kimi's race to lose, especially since Alonso never goes well there.

Edited by jeze, 08 July 2012 - 14:50.

#267 slideways

slideways

• 3,289 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:51

Brilliant win in front of the British crowd. They got their strategy right to be able to catch Alonso and precision driving the whole weekend from Mark. :up:

#268 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:52

Great race!!! :up:

#269 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:52

Yeah, Mark is normally better at the traditional tracks. Of the "new" tracks only Malaysia, Turkey and China suit him. Unfortunately the uncool new one's stack up in the 2nd half of the season. But we'll see if it works out this year.

Edited by Hippo, 08 July 2012 - 14:53.

#270 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:53

Yeah, Mark is normally better at the traditional tracks. Of the "new" tracks only Malaysia, Turkey and China suit him. Unfortunately the uncool new one's stack up in the 2nd half of the season. But we'll see if it works out this year.

He's dead on for a great result in Austin.

#271 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,460 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:55

Mark should have won Spa last year, just had some bad luck with the pit-stop strategy and safety car from memory. Expect him to be okay in Germany though the team will be pushing for a Seb win there, a trouncing by Seb at Hungary and then a good chance for Mark to beat Seb at Spa.

#272 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:56

Stunning drive. Watching him go full bananas was gorgeous. Even from Tcam it was evident he was pushing like hell, his lines and gearbox use showed it perfectly. And yet some say you can´t push with Pirelli...

#273 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:57

Actually I think those three races are his best chances to extend the gap to Vettel because those are not Vettel's best tracks judging from his records..

#274 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:59

Actually I think those three races are his best chances to extend the gap to Vettel because those are not Vettel's best tracks judging from his records..

Yeah possible but for all I know Vettel really hit Webber hard last time they raced at Hockenheim. At Nürburgring it'd been an altogether different story. That is a REAL bogey track for Vettel.

#275 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:04

Great win for Webber ... He just loves the place !

Best overtake of the season for the lead ! Amazing ..

#276 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,956 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:25

Win number 9. Well done Mark! :up:

#277 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:28

Webber flies at Spa,even in last years car he matched Vettel on race pace,Hungary should be pretty even and Hock might suit vettel more.Interesting times ahead.

#278 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,808 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:44

Oh come on, Vettel will never win in Germany, like Webber never wins in Australia. :p

In 2012, I feel Alonso will do what he couldn't do in 2010. The Red Bull is too close to the Ferrari and McLaren is nowhere. And Petrov is in a backmarker team.

Seb needs a lightning car to do anything, and Webber is patchy at all the Tilke dumps.

Edited by Jimisgod, 08 July 2012 - 15:47.

#279 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:39

ha yeah I woke the girl up !

ditto! must be a heap of us who do this haha :lol:

Advertisement

#280 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:42

His best win?

Nope, same track but two years ago was his best win. Mark vs the team.

#281 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 18:10

Congratulations Mark,

I sure as hell hope this victory aids you in your contract negotiations. :clap:

#282 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,813 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 18:40

I'd rate Monaco higher.

Still - brilliant job Mark. Go for WDC!

And Hungary 2010.. And Germany 2010.

Damn, Mark is full of absolutely awesome wins!

No in all those races he made mistakes or needed some luck, he was faultless here all weekend.

#283 andresitoiniesta

andresitoiniesta

• 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 18:59

I wish I was wrong, but as long as Vettel stays in this team, Webber´s chances to be WDC are 0.0

#284 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,767 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 21:26

Congratulations to Webber, Red Bull and Mark's fans on his win today.

edit: Kind of strange that the Winner's thread is so quiet. Someone go by Karnes house and make sure she is OK.

Edited by Watkins74, 08 July 2012 - 22:00.

#285 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 791 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 22:17

Well done Mark :up: :up:

The racing this year has been good, and this was one of the best, the icing being Mark's overtake for the win :) . He certainly has his act together this year!

#286 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,460 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 22:31

I wish I was wrong, but as long as Vettel stays in this team, Webber´s chances to be WDC are 0.0

I think Mark is going to need quite a bit of luck to be allowed a real shot at the WDC. Red Bull have been reasonably fair with Mark this year, but I suspect much of that is a response to Mark demanding better equality last year in his contract negotiations (those who follow the annual Mark/RBR contract dramas will recall what I'm talking about). How far that can be stretched I don't know. Usually when Mark starts to get some momentum Helmut finds a way to throw a wrench in things.

But the truth is even with absolute equality and support, Vettel has proven himself to be the more versatile driver of the two. In a situation like Brawn in 2009 - with a strong car and a weaker team-mate - Mark has a WDC in him. But when things are tight the relentlessness of Vettel and his ability to perform at every track he goes to (well Nurburgring might be the exception!) place him in a better position.

For Mark to mount a serious WDC run this year he has to start conquering the Tilke tracks with numerous slow speed traction zones zones like Abu Dhabi and Singapore. Mark has a handful of tracks where he is amazing, and Silverstone is definitely one of them. He has to be consistent though and he probably needs a bit of bad luck to befall Seb.

Edited by goingthedistance, 08 July 2012 - 23:02.

#287 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 22:42

I think Mark is going to need quite a bit of luck to be allowed a real shot at the WDC.

Chsst, hey buddy, Mark did an amazing job and actually won today, no time for ridiculous excuses and conspiracies.

#288 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,739 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 22:49

Hockenheim should be interesting, in 2010 his pace was a mystery as traditionally he went pretty well round there.

"any threat from Webber ending when the Australian had to back off and modify his driving to keep his engine intact amid alarming oil consumption."

http://plus.autospor...rman-gp-review/

#289 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,460 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 22:59

Chsst, hey buddy, Mark did an amazing job and actually won today, no time for ridiculous excuses and conspiracies.

Guess you missed the past two seasons of F1? Including a certain race in Turkey and a certain wing theft in GB in 2010. Then 2011 when Mark took his medicine for being a naughty boy and using the press back in 2010? Who could forget the "maintain the gap Mark" message from this very race last year! :cool:

Not the "buddy" type either, see the pretty pink icon. :p

Edited by goingthedistance, 08 July 2012 - 23:04.

#290 Black Widow

Black Widow

• 647 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 23:03

(Leonid Novozhilov - F1 Life) Mark, you are in second place in the championship. Now you’re ahead of Sebastian Vettel by 16 points. Will you continue to attack, or let Sebastian Vettel overtake you?

(Manuel Franco - AS) Fernando and Sebastian, is the second victory for Mark and second in the championship a surprise for you?

Oh dear!

Sunday Press Conference

Edited by Black Widow, 08 July 2012 - 23:07.

#291 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 23:16

Guess you missed the past two seasons of F1?

No. Maybe you did, Mark "was allowed" -whatever that means- to have a championship shot already. :wave:

And it wasn´t exactly a evil conspiracy from within the team that stopped him, it was a mistake under the rain.

#292 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,460 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 23:19

No. Maybe you did, Mark "was allowed" -whatever that means- to have a championship shot already. :wave:

And it wasn´t exactly a evil conspiracy from within the team that stopped him, it was a mistake under the rain.

It was not an evil conspiracy, seriously overdramatising there. But if you think Mark has been equally supported in that team, with Helmut Marko at the helm...well I give up. You are out of the loop.

Edited by goingthedistance, 08 July 2012 - 23:19.

#293 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 23:23

But if you think Mark has been equally supported in that team, with Helmut Marko at the helm...well I give up. You are out of the loop.

Taps on the shoulder don´t give you extra points. A reliable car does. Mark got that more often in 2010. I prefer the second kind of support if I´m a racing driver.

Nothing is stopping Mark from winning on RB.

#294 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 23:26

Oh dear!

Sunday Press Conference

I don't know about that Manuel Franco, but AS is a joke as a newspaper, so I wouldn't take them seriously

#295 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 23:52

What a way to win! For most of the race it looked like Alonso had the measure but Mark just kept his head down and ground out the laps. Only when we suddenly realise (well I forgot to take it into account until Alonso pitted) that Mark would be on the favoured hard tyres for the last 15 laps. That was very impressive, more so than a dominant one like say Rosberg's win which was so dominant that it WAS easy. Mark pulled of the pass with clinical precision and Fernando knew that barring an error he was beaten. Suddenly Mark's star has risen again to near it's 2010 status.

#296 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 23:55

I think Mark is going to need quite a bit of luck to be allowed a real shot at the WDC. Red Bull have been reasonably fair with Mark this year, but I suspect much of that is a response to Mark demanding better equality last year in his contract negotiations (those who follow the annual Mark/RBR contract dramas will recall what I'm talking about). How far that can be stretched I don't know. Usually when Mark starts to get some momentum Helmut finds a way to throw a wrench in things.

But the truth is even with absolute equality and support, Vettel has proven himself to be the more versatile driver of the two. In a situation like Brawn in 2009 - with a strong car and a weaker team-mate - Mark has a WDC in him. But when things are tight the relentlessness of Vettel and his ability to perform at every track he goes to (well Nurburgring might be the exception!) place him in a better position.

For Mark to mount a serious WDC run this year he has to start conquering the Tilke tracks with numerous slow speed traction zones zones like Abu Dhabi and Singapore. Mark has a handful of tracks where he is amazing, and Silverstone is definitely one of them. He has to be consistent though and he probably needs a bit of bad luck to befall Seb.

My opinion from Webb-Vett thread was that two elements should play to Webber's advantage (or lack of disadvantage):
- ironically RB not being a dominant car - Silverstone kind of proved I was right (I know it's only one race but the pattern is there),
- the smaller RB's advantage in constructors' championship the better for Webber - if they need his points he'll have better chance

With tracks' preferences it's too early to say, tyres in qualifying are more important. It didn't look good in Canada, Valencia and Silverstone were not representative. Also: no one mentioned it but it looks like Webber also negotiated himself better starts ;) He was repeatedly solid off the line recently. BTW it's amazing how Alonso's getting away with all the risky moves, his cut across at the start was rather dirty.

#297 Menace

Menace

• 12,364 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 23:58

Fantastic weekend from Webber!!! A well deserved victory! :up:

#298 andrewr

andrewr

• 281 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 00:33

No in all those races he made mistakes or needed some luck, he was faultless here all weekend.

I don't remember him making any mistakes in Monaco 2010.

#299 LukeM

LukeM

• 966 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 00:41

"any threat from Webber ending when the Australian had to back off and modify his driving to keep his engine intact amid alarming oil consumption."

http://plus.autospor...rman-gp-review/

Yeah but he qualified well behind Seb, I think it was something like over 0.4... and in the race he was no better before that issue. I think this year on raw pace he is genuinely faster at almost every track except his true bogie ones. IMO he should have Seb covered this year even though he struggles at some of the upcoming circuits... Alonso on the other hand is going to be tough to beat.

Advertisement

#300 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 791 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 00:54

Mark needs to pull out a much bigger points gap to Seb. Only then can we be optimistic about a WDC for Mark. It would also help if Ferdy can keep finishing ahead of Seb, but behind Mark (though that might be asking a bit much :lol: )

The reason is twofold, both related. Currently they are alternating in pointscoring. This is a bad thing for both, when you have someone (Alonso) consistently scoring close to, or better than both. They risk allowing their sqabbling over points handing the WDC to the more consistent opponent - Alonso. It is incontestible that Seb is the one that has favour in the team. He is a double WDC, a product of the feeder program, and has a longer term future with RBR. They have to favour him - that is just reality, not conspiracy. Add to that the possibility of Mark going to another team ...

We can hope, but it is to early to get excited ...