Photo

Mark Webber - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1038 replies to this topic

#401 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:38

If the championship goes down to the wire and Alonso and Webber finish on equal points and equal wins the man with fewer asterixes next to his name will take the wdc.its in the rules.

Advertisement

#402 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:40

If the championship goes down to the wire and Alonso and Webber finish on equal points and equal wins the man with fewer asterixes next to his name will take the wdc.its in the rules.

And well it f***ing should be.

#403 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,339 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:57

RBR stuffed up Vettel's pitstop and after that he had brake issues/failure. Later RBR claimed that chassis was damaged (luscious liz) for that race and Monaco (not many here believe that).

IIRC didn't Webber hae that "damaged" chassis later on..??

#404 GotYoubyTheBalls

GotYoubyTheBalls

• 301 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:05

Yeh Mark or Fernando to win hopefully.

#405 slideways

slideways

• 3,289 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:26

IIRC didn't Webber hae that "damaged" chassis later on..??

Yep they re bonded a new wishbone mount onto it and it was good to go.

#406 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,339 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:35

can't remember why they gave it to him and not back to Vettel though...

#407 slideways

slideways

• 3,289 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:13

My view is that he had Seb's number well and truly in spain 2010, perhaps even more than Sunday.

Anyway, we're not arguing, just "celebating a great win(s) robustly". :)

cheers
mymemoryfails

I agree, and just filled the blanks. Cheers. :up:

If there is such a thing, a TRULY non legit win was Heiki's with McLaren at Hungary.

He was in a race where he only had 3 other cars that could beat him. A 4 horse race.. and he was coming last, and the only reason he won was because those other 3 horses broke down and died.. :lol: and it was the only time he ever came close to winning.

Can't believe I am defending Heikki here but .. it was only 2 cars. :lol:

Edited by slideways, 10 July 2012 - 08:22.

#408 Andromeda

Andromeda

• 390 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:24

You sure about that as far as I know if they have equal points and equal wins it then goes down to who has more 2nd place finishes.

#409 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,339 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:26

and if they have equal 2nd, it goes, to 3rd and so on and so on - if still equal, the FIA decide who deserves it more.

#410 GregAU

GregAU

• 524 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:28

he did run it a tad wide after he got around alonso too.

warrants a double asterisk imo

Good point...also, dont forget the botched upshift that cost him a tenth.

That as well as him NOT starting from pole makes 4 asterisks on this latest so called "Webber's best drive to date".
Could the admins provide an asterisk smiley comic book char icon for future ratings plez???

#411 LoudHoward

LoudHoward

• 1,318 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:45

can't remember why they gave it to him and not back to Vettel though...

And we come full circle back to Heikki again.

#412 Black Widow

Black Widow

• 647 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:53

And we come full circle back to Heikki again.

Not really, if I remember correctly they already had a new one ready for Seb for Turkey.

Mark only got Seb's old one when he did the "full circle" as you put it.

#413 Paul Prost

Paul Prost

• 745 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:15

This may feel the best of all Mark's wins because its the first one where he hunted down the leader lap after lap and passed him on track for the win.

#414 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 13:14

You sure about that as far as I know if they have equal points and equal wins it then goes down to who has more 2nd place finishes.

Humor detection fail.

#415 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 298 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 13:40

and if they have equal 2nd, it goes, to 3rd and so on and so on - if still equal, the FIA decide who deserves it more.

Well Mark has built up a solid store of fourths :) Don' think they'll come in handy :drunk:

cheers
mymemoryfails

Edited by mymemoryfails, 10 July 2012 - 13:41.

#416 joshb

joshb

• 3,311 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 16:16

Sods law, they have a coin toss to determine the champ and Mark calls heads for a coin with 2 tails sides!

#417 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,060 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:08

Mark talking to SkySports Radio in Sydney this morning about his contract extension,very generalised answers to questions but still interesting,he feels Lotus is the dark horse in the 2nd half of the season if they get their act together.

http://media.sky.apa...ts/1/nf5hEq.MP3

#418 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 13:37

Bought Mark's 2011 model the other day -

Posted Image

:D

#419 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,461 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 13:50

Mark talking to SkySports Radio in Sydney this morning about his contract extension,very generalised answers to questions but still interesting,he feels Lotus is the dark horse in the 2nd half of the season if they get their act together.

http://media.sky.apa...ts/1/nf5hEq.MP3

Thanks for that, a good listen. :up:

Advertisement

#420 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 791 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 23:10

I passed on the 2011 car, rather forget 2011 ever happened ... :cry:

#421 andrewr

andrewr

• 281 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 23:23

I passed on the 2011 car, rather forget 2011 ever happened ... :cry:

Oh, I don't know. 2011 had some nice highlights too. The drive through the field in China. The pass on Kobayashi in Monaco. The pass on Alonso at Eau Rouge...

#422 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:45

I posted this elsewhere but I didnt get any feedback, thought I might get more here;

I wouldnt be surprised to see Ferrari sign Massa on a one year deal and go after Webber again next year. If Webber wins the title this year, he wont think twice next time.

#423 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:04

Oh, I don't know. 2011 had some nice highlights too. The drive through the field in China. The pass on Kobayashi in Monaco. The pass on Alonso at Eau Rouge...

2011 definitely had its ups.

The duel with Hamilton in Korea, as well...I'll never forget that drive in China, why, he would have won that race had it been a lap or two longer, and how can anyone ever forget that pass on Alonso...

I posted this elsewhere but I didnt get any feedback, thought I might get more here;

I wouldnt be surprised to see Ferrari sign Massa on a one year deal and go after Webber again next year. If Webber wins the title this year, he wont think twice next time.

Hm, might be nice. Mark is happily telling everyone who'll listen that he has no plans to retire at the end of 2013, so why not?

I've moved on from the grief and have decided it's a wonderful, wonderful thing that he's in this position. During those dark years at Williams I would never have imagined that we would be here; with Mark holding the keys to the driver market, with teams fighting amongst themselves for his signature, with Mark in the position to be able to turn down Ferrari...it's a wonderful compliment to his driving.

Mark is like one of his nice wines...he just gets stronger and better with age.

#424 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,112 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:13

a bit from left field, but has he had a rubbish start since Barcelona?

what's the deal there?

Edited by lbennie, 12 July 2012 - 06:14.

#425 slideways

slideways

• 3,289 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:18

My GF got me the RC Vettel one. :|

#426 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,060 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:18

Not sure whats going on with Massa,Alonso gives him a wrap at every opportunity but surely his Ferrari days are numbered.A lot of Journo's felt a deal was done to replace him in Valencia when the Ferrari Chairman visited but who is the driver in question?,Vettel has assured RB it wasn't him but you never know.It would be ironic if Vettel moves on to Merc. or Ferrari and Mark is still there in 2015 which is on the cards the way he is driving and his closeness to the RB Technical Team.

http://www.ferrari.c...is-missing.aspx

http://www.telegraph...ilverstone.html

Edited by Ian G, 12 July 2012 - 06:22.

#427 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:32

a bit from left field, but has he had a rubbish start since Barcelona?

what's the deal there?

No, he hasn't. In fact, the start he made at Monaco was simply astonishing, and every start since has been good! :eek:

Perhaps RB have finally worked the kinks out of their start system.

#428 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,461 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:15

It was a system thing. Mark said in an interview a little while back that they'd analysed the bad starts at the start of the season and only one was due to an error from Webber himself.

Poor Seb had a classic Webber start himself at Silverstone. To me it sounds like they're still using a clutch with a narrower window than others and it's a bit tricky.

#429 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,138 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:19

Ahh crap!
I was just reviewing the race again, and on lap 23, Mark missed the apex at Copse.
Another illegitimate win it seems... :(
I don't know how this Webber character can hold that trophy above his head with any dignity.
I mean the guy is just so imperfect it makes me sick!

Still, I'm a *fan.

:lol: :up:

#430 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,813 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 13:04

Mark ain't going anywhere. He knows the guys in the team well, he gelled with a lot of them at Jaguar. He lives not far from the factory in a nice place etc etc etc ... h eain't going to Ferrari.

#431 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:23

Yea I said if Mark won a race in 2011 I'd buy his model, so there you go lol :D

#432 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,646 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 14:01

Another dissapointing Q-session! Surely the feeling from the car got different between third free and qualifying, 'cause with that 21.5 in third free, I was dead sure, dead sure he'd be fighting for the front-row here.
...but no... Tough race is on tomorrow, but he needs bigger points than he managed from his lowly position in Germany.

#433 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,484 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 14:05

very dissapointing as he had more than that without a doubt. His stint times in FP3 looked great too I thought. His run on new softs was slower than on his scrubbed set?

#434 ch103

ch103

• 728 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 14:38

very dissapointing as he had more than that without a doubt. His stint times in FP3 looked great too I thought. His run on new softs was slower than on his scrubbed set?

During the SPEED broadcast in the USA, the commentators mentioned that there is a chance of rain for tomorrow's race. I think this is a case of Red Bull saying that if it is a Dry Race, Vettel has the preferred set up and strategy, if it is a Wet Race, Webber has the preferred set up and strategy.

#435 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,484 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 14:50

During the SPEED broadcast in the USA, the commentators mentioned that there is a chance of rain for tomorrow's race. I think this is a case of Red Bull saying that if it is a Dry Race, Vettel has the preferred set up and strategy, if it is a Wet Race, Webber has the preferred set up and strategy.

as a webber fan I wish that were the case but I think he just fluffed his attempt. He said he didn't feel good on those tyres as an excuse, don't think they would have sent him out there on a wet setup gamble after topping FP3

#436 ch103

ch103

• 728 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 14:56

as a webber fan I wish that were the case but I think he just fluffed his attempt. He said he didn't feel good on those tyres as an excuse, don't think they would have sent him out there on a wet setup gamble after topping FP3

fair point about being fastest in FP3. If that is the case then he just had a case of bad luck with the set of tires.

#437 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 15:42

fair point about being fastest in FP3. If that is the case then he just had a case of bad luck with the set of tires.

Well, if it's a dry race he'll start on a fresh set of whichever compound he chooses, so I guess P11 gives him that small advantage.
Still, being stuck behind Madmaldo and Senna at the start is going to give me the heebie jeebies.
Hopefully he can get through unscathed.

#438 joshb

joshb

• 3,311 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 17:14

Well, if it's a dry race he'll start on a fresh set of whichever compound he chooses, so I guess P11 gives him that small advantage.
Still, being stuck behind Madmaldo and Senna at the start is going to give me the heebie jeebies.
Hopefully he can get through unscathed.

At least he's on the clean side if its dry...

#439 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 20:53

Hungary is a place where overtaking is difficult even when your car is 1 second quicker than the other car. I guess Mark will have a hard time. Unless the race becomes a major tire gamble there is not much hope for a great result unfortunately. So we'll have to hope for changing conditions and cross our fingers Mark can profit more than the others around him.

Advertisement

#440 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,646 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 20:59

What might work for Webber is to do two stints on the option, for instance the last as well. The preferred strategy tomorrow is likely to be to run the primes after the first stint.

...all provided it's dry.

#441 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,587 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 23:42

Hmmm... not sure whether Mark or Red Bull signed the contract too soon...  ;) :lol:

:well:

#442 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,060 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 00:45

His run on new softs was slower than on his scrubbed set?

Yeah,he couldn't get them working for whatever reason.

I noticed on other Forums Mark being quoted as saying the car was sluggish in Germany,not sure if its the changed engine mapping but i'll guess we'll know more later Today.

#443 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,813 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:20

I was in the shower after Silvestone thinking maybe i mark him too hard after arguing with the freak fanboys here. Said to myself "the next two races will be HUGE, he's had one bad race not really of his own fault (Barcelona) the rest have been very solid. Germany was awful but yesterday was just not goof enough, you GOTTA find that tenth, you just have to.

He needs to climb high tomorrow or he's in all sorts.

#444 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,138 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:19

I was in the shower after Silvestone thinking maybe i mark him too hard after arguing with the freak fanboys here. Said to myself "the next two races will be HUGE, he's had one bad race not really of his own fault (Barcelona) the rest have been very solid. Germany was awful but yesterday was just not good enough, you GOTTA find that tenth, you just have to.

He needs to climb high tomorrow or he's in all sorts.

Gotta agree. Germany was terrible & he duffed it in Q2 yesterday. Needs to lift for sure.

Maybe he shouldn't have signed the new contract after Silverstone. He seems to drive better when his seat is on the line. :lol:

#445 Alarcon

Alarcon

• 2,468 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:58

Yeah,he couldn't get them working for whatever reason.

I noticed on other Forums Mark being quoted as saying the car was sluggish in Germany,not sure if its the changed engine mapping but i'll guess we'll know more later Today.

Let´s say... maybe because the special mapping ban? ;)

Edited by Alarcon, 29 July 2012 - 08:59.

#446 Callahan

Callahan

• 594 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:07

Let´s say... maybe because the special mapping ban?;)

Or maybe not. Good luck trying to prove it. Starting 11th will be tuff at this circuit but strategy options with tyres will help. Mark will give it his best shot, and that's all I would ask.

#447 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,138 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:23

Or maybe not. Good luck trying to prove it. Starting 11th will be tuff at this circuit but strategy options with tyres will help. Mark will give it his best shot, and that's all I would ask.

Yep. A bit of rain wouldn't hurt either.

#448 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 497 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:28

I wonder if he is regretting not taking the Renault option last year? Back then Boullier was saying he would love to have Mark as their no 1 driver, and given how competitive Renault have been this year? Just a thought.

#449 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,587 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:29

Yep. A bit of rain wouldn't hurt either.

... and one of the Williams drivers to take out the first 4 rows. :lol:

#450 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 1,139 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:32

... and one of the Williams drivers to take out the first 4 rows. :lol:

:rotfl: we can only hope, but if not Mark will try have to overtake Maldonado. That should be a betting option "Who will Maldonado take out this GP"