Mercedes-AMG 2012 W03 - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3093 replies to this topic

#1451 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,450 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 19:51

Apologies if I misunderstood you.
I just find it disingenuous when MAMG's difficulties are apportioned to former owners.

People seem to forget it took Redbull 5 years to turn Jaguar into a winning team.
This is only the 3rd year for Mercedes as team owner.

But unlike RB Merc bought a winning team and the WCC to boot. Your not comparing like with like.

Advertisement

#1452 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,918 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 20:43

But unlike RB Merc bought a winning team and the WCC to boot. Your not comparing like with like.

Merc didn't buy a winning team it bought a team which was lucky that the top teams got caught sleeping. Like RB Merc had a midfield team as basis

#1453 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,450 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 20:48

Merc didn't buy a winning team it bought a team which was lucky that the top teams got caught sleeping. Like RB Merc had a midfield team as basis

You can win races that way, not championships.

#1454 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,755 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 20:57

The 2008 team that designed the 2009 car did not exist anymore when Merc bought the team.
Merc bought a team that was decimated in the aftermath of Honda's withdrawal.

Edited by Timstr11, 04 September 2012 - 20:58.

#1455 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,450 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 21:04

The 2008 team that designed the 2009 car did not exist anymore when Merc bought the team.
Merc bought a team that was decimated in the aftermath of Honda's withdrawal.

Still think they were in a better place than when RB started.

#1456 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 21:11

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102233

Here's a summary of the Ross Brawn explanations: We don't have any idea WTF is going on.

Here's a picture of Ross Brawn: Posted Image

#1457 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,204 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 22:00

With all due respect, this is what I dont get about Merc detractors. When it suits them, Merc bought a championship winning team. But other times, when it's convenient, Brawn only won due to a loophole and massive development time.

Sorry Clatter, this wasnt meant directly at you, as I dont know your opinion stance on the team. Its just a general trend thats been coated nice and thick for the past three years to almost all debates about this and it truely makes the dialogue tedious.

#1458 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:33

I just find it disingenuous when MAMG's difficulties are apportioned to former owners.

People seem to forget it took Redbull 5 years to turn Jaguar into a winning team.

You can also add that RB did not go through such drastic internal change as M-AMG on RRA side. Moreover, in their third year, this year that is, situation with tire has affected adversely more teams and not just this one.
All excuses and rationalization aside, it always could be better, but along historical lines how long it takes to develop a winning team in this series, this one is not doing that bad as some are making it up. What I observe are disappointments over lowering expectations, rather than total rejection of M-AMG. There is however no mercy how fans behave; just recall what Polish fans said about BMW after they pulled out, despite all what the automaker has actually done for Kubica, at the end only to receive mud into their faces.

Instant gratification, and no patientce is prevalent. These are our times.

#1459 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,534 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:42

Except they bought a team which won WCC and WDC in dominant fashion :confused:

Sure there was less development on W01 due to lack of budget. But (aside from the win this year) the ONLY time the team showed consistent improvement (regular podiums, top 5 finishes) is in first 4-5 races of the W01... before Mercedes did much of anything.

From there they have shown no consistent improvement whatsoever. They are often beaten by Force India, Williams and Sauber even - these are privateer team with few sponsors and mainly rookie drivers, a works team with champion drivers and blue chip sponsors like Mercedes-Benz should be in another league to these IMO. Put it this way... if Ferrari was a joke in 1993-1994 (at least they could blame their heavenly sounding engine for being too heavy), Mercedes-Benz are almost even worse. It is not good enough for a car carrying the tri-star badge.

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 05 September 2012 - 04:54.

Advertisement

#1460 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,534 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:52

Instant gratification, and no patientce is prevalent. These are our times.

Some loyal fans waited for Toyota to improve.

It did not happen. Ever. Some 8 seasons. Some in the lower midfield. Some in the upper midfield. None at the front. (And that was an actual German team!)

[Besides are you sure the team bosses themselves are so patient? :eek: They do things like dump Prost midseason, dump Andretti midseason, dump Mansell mid season, dump Heidfeld midseason etc etc etc]

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 05 September 2012 - 04:56.

#1461 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:49

F1 is driven by passion to be best, desire to be first. Patience is the counterbalancing point in that equation, just as impatience is IMO a sign of weakness (symptom of lack of understanding).

#1462 black magic

black magic

• 3,864 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:03

is this just mercedes learning someting by analysing button vs hamilton telemetry that hamilton released via twitter?.

team brawn were lucky fia allowed them the head start afforded by their invented drs. should never have been allowed but suited fia to screw the big teams. as soon as the big teams got it working, brawn faded the second half of the season and only won because of their fantastic start. yes they were wdc team but in effect only for half a season. half a season in over a decade of racing.

not much to get to carried away with given for most of the rest of the time they were also rans as best.

#1463 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:26

F1 is driven by passion to be best, desire to be first. Patience is the counterbalancing point in that equation, just as impatience is IMO a sign of weakness (symptom of lack of understanding).

Let's see if Schumacher is gonna patient or impatient with the team when he makes his decision to stay or not..

Edited by Slowinfastout, 05 September 2012 - 06:26.

#1464 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:51

Let's see if Schumacher is gonna patient or impatient with the team when he makes his decision to stay or not..

It is safe assumption that whatever will happen with Schumacher, and/or M-AMG, ours will be speculation only.

#1465 DS27

DS27

• 1,092 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:05

To be honest, he's just stating the bleeding obvious. Of course there are set-up issues at play here. The fundamental issue however, is that year after year, they don't seem to fully understand how the car (and this year the tyres as well) works well enough to improve any deficiencies found and develop it.

Mac, have demonstarted more than once over the last few years that they can turn around an uncompetitive car in a very short space of time. Merc give us no confidence that they can do this.

#1466 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,534 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:13

Great point.

But actually on viewing the history of Mercedes' involvement isn't the entire problem caused by Mercedes' impatience?

Mercedes dropped the Sauber team after 1 "official" and disappoitning season, to chase the dream that McLaren might make a better chassis.

Instead would it not be better that they had Sauber run a completely "Mercedes-Benz" branded team as planned. :up: They would would have had a works team of their very own in F1 for 18 years now, no doubt it would have achieved some success at some point! Considering that McLaren has only won 3 titles in all this time maybe such an official "Mercedes-Benz" team may have actually won more championships!

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 05 September 2012 - 07:18.

#1467 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:18

To be honest, he's just stating the bleeding obvious. Of course there are set-up issues at play here. The fundamental issue however, is that year after year, they don't seem to fully understand how the car (and this year the tyres as well) works well enough to improve any deficiencies found and develop it.

Mac, have demonstarted more than once over the last few years that they can turn around an uncompetitive car in a very short space of time. Merc give us no confidence that they can do this.

With all due respect, this is myth perpetuated by British and adopted by shallow minds accross the globe as factual matter. Last time I look, McLaren hasn't won WCC quite a while. (Since 1998, was it)? That will put then that theory what Mac can do to sleep. Fight for the front is one thing, be in the front is another, to state the obvious.

Edited by Sakae, 05 September 2012 - 07:20.

#1468 DS27

DS27

• 1,092 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:28

With all due respect, this is myth perpetuated by British and adopted by shallow minds accross the globe as factual matter. Last time I look, McLaren hasn't won WCC quite a while. (Since 1998, was it)? That will put then that theory what Mac can do to sleep. Fight for the front is one thing, be in the front is another, to state the obvious.

What absolute drivel - so only WCC are competitive.. :rolleyes:

Mclaren have been 'competitive' (unfortunately for me) for most of the last decade, winning untold races. To say they have been anything but is an alternate reality.

To state the obvious.

Edited by DS27, 05 September 2012 - 07:29.

#1469 baddog

baddog

• 23,522 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:35

Their actual record is pretty shaky though.. Given the quality of drivers they have employed (the highest), they appear to just be the most consistent second best team ever.

#1470 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:38

What absolute drivel - so only WCC are competitive.. :rolleyes:

Mclaren have been 'competitive' (unfortunately for me) for most of the last decade, winning untold races. To say they have been anything but is an alternate reality.

To state the obvious.

Winning battles is nice. Winning war though is better. McLaren failed in that department. No drivel here, just facts.

#1471 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,204 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:45

Great point.

But actually on viewing the history of Mercedes' involvement isn't the entire problem caused by Mercedes' impatience?

Mercedes dropped the Sauber team after 1 "official" and disappoitning season, to chase the dream that McLaren might make a better chassis.

Instead would it not be better that they had Sauber run a completely "Mercedes-Benz" branded team as planned. :up: They would would have had a works team of their very own in F1 for 18 years now, no doubt it would have achieved some success at some point! Considering that McLaren has only won 3 titles in all this time maybe such an official "Mercedes-Benz" team may have actually won more championships!

You make a good point...but what's that thing they say about hindsight?

#1472 DS27

DS27

• 1,092 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:58

Winning battles is nice. Winning war though is better. McLaren failed in that department. No drivel here, just facts.

Facts you say; OK, here you go:

Mclaren since, and NOT including 1998 (the last time they were competitive apparently..)

Wins - 63
Poles - 59
Podiums - 190

Yes, I see your point. How shallow of me to think they have been competitive. Damn that British media.

Edited by DS27, 05 September 2012 - 08:00.

#1473 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,433 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:10

is this just mercedes learning someting by analysing button vs hamilton telemetry that hamilton released via twitter?.

team brawn were lucky fia allowed them the head start afforded by their invented drs. should never have been allowed but suited fia to screw the big teams. as soon as the big teams got it working, brawn faded the second half of the season and only won because of their fantastic start. yes they were wdc team but in effect only for half a season. half a season in over a decade of racing.

not much to get to carried away with given for most of the rest of the time they were also rans as best.

I stopped reading at the bolded part.

Rubbish.

There were a bunch of lacklustre seasons and also some big swings in fortune but to describe P2 in the WCC as to have 'failed', for any team, no, that's narrowminded.

1999: 2nd, 4 points behind Ferrari.
2000: 2nd, 18 points behind Ferrari.
2001: 2nd, 77 points behind winner, nobody could measure the Ferrari that year.
2003: 3rd, 16 points behind champion Ferrari.
2005: 2nd, 9 points behind Renault.
2007* 1st, 4 points ahead of Ferrari but thrown out of the WCC because of Spygate.
2008: 2nd, 21 points behind Ferrari.
2010: 2nd, 44 points behind Red Bull.
2011: 2nd, 153 points behind Red Bull aka the best of the rest (long way back).

Comparing stats it's easy to conclude McLaren could have won more WCCs with more reliability because in 99, 00, 03, 05 there were several key DNFs to be found on the list.

Edited by Jejking, 05 September 2012 - 08:26.

#1474 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:47

Well guys it's nice for you to come here and not only to critique Mercedes, but also tell them to be more like McLaren, but in contrast, some of us on Merc side think that there are better benchmarks than McLaren, regardless how you slice it, how many victories or podiums you cite, including nice headlines, yet guess what, I see no WCC on your Resume for past x-years. (I think almost 1.5 decade). Maybe Mercedes should look little further than McLaren then. I am aware that it is cruel and hard to take for you, but figures do not lie here.

Benchmark in F1 is RBR and beyond. I would consider Ferrari as an unstable suspect at the moment. In some areas Sauber and Renault could and should be reviewed as well.

Edited by Sakae, 05 September 2012 - 10:53.

#1475 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 733 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:40

Interesting comments from Ross B.:

Mercedes investigating whether wrong set-up is to blame for recent slump

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102233

Sorry, Ross, I'm not buying the bull anymore.

#1476 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,037 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:53

2008 was the only car that didnt work out so well for the Newey + Prodromou combo which incidentally was their first car together.

The only problem with Merc seems to be they have the same set of problems repeating over time. Every year problem with tyres. It would have been great if atleast merc was No.4 but they are beaten by Saubers, Williamses and sometimes Force Indias. The car was handling beautifully (qualifying) at the start of the year, its sad to see them slide. Better luck next year with some of the new brains they hired.

#1477 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,204 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:04

The car was handling beautifully (qualifying) at the start of the year, its sad to see them slide. Better luck next year with some of the new brains they hired.

You're gonna make me cry. I vividly recall Michael on his final Q3 attempt in Melbourne rounding the final bend to complete the lap and thinking to myself "****, that car is on rails!" Anyone else remember that?

I really want that W03 back... Not this over-under-over-wheelspin-correction SOB. :cry:

I'll be damned, I just saw the light. What. The. HELL! did they to our car?!?!

#1478 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:23

Early on, the car was fast over one lap but they already had problems with long runs/race trim.. then they claimed it was just about understanding the tires, and of course they said to have achieved that after China. At that point it was going to be 'the best F1 season ever'.

The very next race in Bahrain they finished about a minute behind Vettel, and after that it was time to start coming up with car updates for Spain, which they didn't do and finished 1m18s behind Crashtonado.

After that, Monaco was good and the rest was for some reason OK-ish, only a couple of tenths off the pace... until Silverstone, since then they've got their asses handed to them.

If it's just a setup issue it's even stranger than what happened to Button because they've had a bizarre resurgence only to start sucking again... with both their cars.

#1479 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:59

2012 is very unusual racing season, when first half of the pack is really separated by not very much, and even most minute deviation from optimal setup could mean drop of your number in the line in dramatic fashion. I am not completely convinced that we should be looking at current team development results with traditional lenses. Spa-tire was OK from my perspective, it allowed for some interesting racing for a change, but this was one race. Previous ones were just mess, and lets face it, not only for AMG garage.

Edited by Sakae, 05 September 2012 - 13:00.

Advertisement

#1480 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 13:20

The Pirellis aren't responsible for the car breaking down every 5 minutes though..

I'm sorry but just limiting ourselves to car setup is completely delusional IMO, and despite 2012 being an unusual season, it's mostly been business as usual for Mercedes; F1 changes but they don't, They're under-performing like the last couple of years..

#1481 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 13:30

2007* 1st, 4 points ahead of Ferrari but thrown out of the WCC because of Spygate.

Totally OT, but can´t resist: lots of people don´t know, but McLaren would have lost it anyway. Their drivers had 218 points. They scored 15 in Hungary, which did not score on the WCC. That´s 203, Ferrari had 204.

So McLaren would have lost both titles for 1 point :lol:

#1482 DS27

DS27

• 1,092 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 13:37

I am aware that it is cruel and hard to take for you

I'm drawing a line under this issue with this post but let me just make one thing clear. Because I recognise that Mac have successfully turned around an uncompetitive car, it does not make me a fan of theirs - in fact, the opposite is true. And nothing would please me more than the Mac becoming uncompetitive - which unfortunately looks unlikely.

Mac is the one and only team that, for some reason, I dislike (Maybe Ron started it). I like Jenson, but Lewis is at the bottom of my list, so the last thing I am is a Mac fan boy, which is a bit hard at my age anyway. I have a soft spot for Ferrari due to GV and MS time there, but other than that my allegances tend to follow drivers rather than teams and I have followed MS to where he is now.

As a fan of MS since his GP debut, his and Merc's situation pains me, and I find it harder to enjoy F1 these days because of it.

#1483 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 14:24

The Pirellis aren't responsible for the car breaking down every 5 minutes though..

I'm sorry but just limiting ourselves to car setup is completely delusional IMO, and despite 2012 being an unusual season, it's mostly been business as usual for Mercedes; F1 changes but they don't, They're under-performing like the last couple of years..

I don't think that's what Ross is saying. He should know more than most what the problem is, but I read his thoughts as"...we have long way to go, and it is bad, but didn't had to be as such, since in optimization process of car for tires we have, we have also inadvertently ended up with wrong setup that slowed us down even more so, which is certainly unnecessarily self-inflicted pain...", or something to that effect. Man is his position would not make such foolish statement as we are fifth on the grid because we screw up a race setup.
My thoughts - sometimes when you have a lot of variables in the process, and you manage to lose your baseline, suddenly you are in no man’s land and you do not know whether you are coming or going. It’s not always straightforward step to pull back. I am not sure of that’s what happened to Ross, but happened to me (very long time ago).

#1484 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 14:26

I'm drawing a line under this issue with this post but let me just make one thing clear. Because I recognise that Mac have successfully turned around an uncompetitive car, it does not make me a fan of theirs - in fact, the opposite is true. And nothing would please me more than the Mac becoming uncompetitive - which unfortunately looks unlikely.

Mac is the one and only team that, for some reason, I dislike (Maybe Ron started it). I like Jenson, but Lewis is at the bottom of my list, so the last thing I am is a Mac fan boy, which is a bit hard at my age anyway. I have a soft spot for Ferrari due to GV and MS time there, but other than that my allegances tend to follow drivers rather than teams and I have followed MS to where he is now.

As a fan of MS since his GP debut, his and Merc's situation pains me, and I find it harder to enjoy F1 these days because of it.

Great post, my respect.

#1485 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 16:25

So what's Mercedes' future? Wasn't something supposed to be confirmed with the end of August?

#1486 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 16:29

So what's Mercedes' future? Wasn't something supposed to be confirmed with the end of August?

In October.

#1487 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,433 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 17:45

Totally OT, but can´t resist: lots of people don´t know, but McLaren would have lost it anyway. Their drivers had 218 points. They scored 15 in Hungary, which did not score on the WCC. That´s 203, Ferrari had 204.

So McLaren would have lost both titles for 1 point :lol:

Son of a gun, I knew it forgot something :lol:

#1488 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 17:58

In October.

OK, thanks

#1489 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,037 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:04

You're gonna make me cry. I vividly recall Michael on his final Q3 attempt in Melbourne rounding the final bend to complete the lap and thinking to myself "****, that car is on rails!" Anyone else remember that?

I really want that W03 back... Not this over-under-over-wheelspin-correction SOB. :cry:

I'll be damned, I just saw the light. What. The. HELL! did they to our car?!?!

And the steering input was minimal compared to the Ferrari which was so worse, it was truly impressive. Bring that performance back, atleast qualifying would be great also the early part of race.

:wave: 2013 will be great for Merc esp car wise . (Hope Lewis comes on board) .

Lewis, Rosberg as drivers; Bob Bell, Aldo Costa, Geoff Willis could really turn things around for Mercedes. Looks very interesting. :love: (repeat)

Willis joined too late to have an impact on this year's car. 2013 car could be THE turning point.

Edited by ViMaMo, 06 September 2012 - 03:17.

#1490 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,415 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:16

And the steering input was minimal compared to the Ferrari which was so worse, it was truly impressive. Bring that performance back, atleast qualifying would be great also the early part of race.

:wave: 2013 will be great for Merc esp car wise . (Hope Lewis comes on board) .

Lewis, Rosberg as drivers; Bob Bell, Aldo Costa, Geoff Willis could really turn things around for Mercedes. Looks very interesting. :love: (repeat)

It would never be the same as if Michael Schumacher were winning for Mercedes.

#1491 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 17:14

http://motorsport.ne...ours,48121.html

F1 - Hamilton says ’no idea’ about Mercedes rumours

"I drive for McLaren"

6 September 2012 - 15h52, by Jean-Michel Setbon

Lewis Hamilton put up his defenses on Thursday when asked about his current situation at McLaren, and a possible future beyond the British team.

A week after the damaging ’Twittergate’ affair, pundit Eddie Jordan thinks the 2008 world champion is set for a shock switch to Mercedes.

But when asked about the German squad at Monza and the possible benefits of joining in 2013, 27-year-old Hamilton answered: "I’ve no idea. I’ve not really thought about it.

"I drive for McLaren," he added.

Asked if he has anything else to say about the rumours, Hamilton said: "Not really."

Edited by Sakae, 06 September 2012 - 17:16.

#1492 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 17:18

F1: Brawn Says Mercedes Close To Concorde Deal

http://formula-one.s...-concorde-deal/

#1493 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 17:18

Ross believes that Michaels gearbox can be saved/fixed: http://translate.goo...be-5643955.html

*Edit: Ignore the "...the damaged gear could not be repaired." - poorly translated by Google, it actually means the opposite.

Edited by Spa95, 06 September 2012 - 17:21.

#1494 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 18:01

Ross believes that Michaels gearbox can be saved/fixed: http://translate.goo...be-5643955.html

*Edit: Ignore the "...the damaged gear could not be repaired." - poorly translated by Google, it actually means the opposite.

Actually he say that it can be repaired. This is how I read it.

#1495 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 18:03

Actually he say that it can be repaired. This is how I read it.

? Thats's what i said.

#1496 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 18:05

? Thats's what i said.

Ok. Still it is a risk.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by ivand911, 06 September 2012 - 18:12.

#1497 Pits

Pits

• 415 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 18:08

F1: Brawn Says Mercedes Close To Concorde Deal

http://formula-one.s...-concorde-deal/

Maybe that is what BE had in mind when he spoke about Schumacher retiring whitout winning.
He was playing Merc for not signing the CA yet, and therefor Schumacher wouldn't have a drive for next year...?

#1498 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,708 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 18:35

Ok. Still it is a risk.

So it is. But if they say it can be repaired, they will repair it. Its a frekking gearbox. A risk taken in any engineering profession is highly calculated. Not speaking about odds here. What would you rather risk in this case? One more race with a repaired gb installed in the current car with low df config for Monza, which is actually their best chance for a good result with this version of the W03, or installing a new gearbox and getting a 5 slot penalty, which could destroy the chance of formerly mentioned result? They are supposed to have a heavily upgraded car by Singapore, so squeezing the last breath out of the current chassis with an optimized aero package is very important if they want to achieve the goals they have set for this year. So if it is possible to repair it for one race, they should go for it.

#1499 SR388

SR388

• 3,941 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 18:39

If Lewis signs relatively soon, do you all think Merc will begin developing next years car with him in mind?

Advertisement

#1500 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 714 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 18:46

If Lewis signs relatively soon, do you all think Merc will begin developing next years car with him in mind?

No, I don't think he'll sign for them and even if he does Mercedes have said they're going to develop all the way to the end this year.