* * * - - 6 votes

Mercedes-AMG 2012 W03 - Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3093 replies to this topic

#2601 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,796 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 23:28

Quite, and maybe if he does win some races next season a few poster on here will all rush out to buy Mercedes again, that's how it works right?

Actually that is how it works. Hence why sponsorship on winning cars/teams in sport costs more than on the ones losing!

Advertisement

#2602 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 00:15

I actually hope they will keep wrecking it otherwise amount of hype around LH will become hard to tolerate.

yep. This car is so horrible that W04 hardly can get worse. So, next year be sure to read people hyping Lewis for "putting Mercedes where Schumacher couldn't in 2012" :rolleyes:

#2603 black magic

black magic

• 3,864 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 00:41

Lets be honest. This team is so lost were next yrs car any good it would only be a fluke.

Totally directionless and getting worse to boot

And how on earth brawn hasnt been sacked is anyones guess. This rests with him and cant be ignored given the failure of the team technically and strategically. Anything less and mercedes acknowledges it is not serious about f1

#2604 eoin

eoin

• 5,010 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:32

You guys don't seem to understand that a car doesn't go from winning to shit for no reason. Something is going on that the outside world does not know. Hamilton is not an idiot and he wouldn't sign for them unless he knew exactly why they have dropped so far back this season - it must have been a pretty good reason to get him to sign.

Unlike McLaren this team is here to win Championships NOT races.

Idiot might be a little strong but Hamilton isn't the smartest guy on the grid and I am fairly sure nobody at Mercedes has an idea why they are so slow let alone hamilton. If they did they wouldn't be running different exhausts at the penultimate race of the season.

Terrible race from MGP point of view. F1 makes a big deal about been back in the USA and Mercedes end up with their worse race of the season. That won't sit well in the boardroom.

#2605 Paco

Paco

• 1,215 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:19

You guys don't seem to understand that a car doesn't go from winning to shit for no reason. Something is going on that the outside world does not know. Hamilton is not an idiot and he wouldn't sign for them unless he knew exactly why they have dropped so far back this season - it must have been a pretty good reason to get him to sign.

Unlike McLaren this team is here to win Championships NOT races.

Absolutely it can and does. As for Hamilton, many drivers in the past have made bad decision based on promises of teams..

Champions that have believe in a team technical compotence and failed execution of the promised dream team:

Jacques Villeneuve being the gold standard for fail promises of technical competence.
Michael Schumacher got looped into Mercedes for the same reason. Granted, having a solid engine and championship winning car (albeit however you want to see how Brawn won they did)...

I have a feeling this will be the last we will see of Lewis with the option of winning a Championship. The mountain he has to climb is way higher then Fernando at Ferrari. Wont be on the winners circle for some time.

Hammy could easily been blinded as many have in the past. He is so desperate to get out of the McLaren Company machine and do something in F1 outside of McLaren that he doesn't understand McLaren is who they are because of that machine. With the exception of Ferrari.. there really is no other option better. It's foolish to think based on where Mercedes is at right now that they will achieve it. The only team that could is RedBull cause of Newey and Horner.

I'm starting to see Brawn as a 1-hit wonder and more a matter of circumstance and the dream team than a super manager which very little in it technically.

Edited by Paco, 19 November 2012 - 03:22.

#2606 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:45

yep. This car is so horrible that W04 hardly can get worse. So, next year be sure to read people hyping Lewis for "putting Mercedes where Schumacher couldn't in 2012" :rolleyes:

I still believe that Hamilton would have more pts in this year Merc than Schumi. Schumacher is old, he is not the same driver, he aint bad, but he aint setting world in fire neither atm.

#2607 z2z

z2z

• 295 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:53

I still believe that Hamilton would have more pts in this year Merc than Schumi. Schumacher is old, he is not the same driver, he aint bad, but he aint setting world in fire neither atm.

I doubt, may be just few more points. On contrary, Pitfall for other guys would be more damning.

#2608 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:23

OMG, this mob gets more woeful race by race.

They clearly got sucked in by the never ever looked like it was going to score Honda effort that became Brawn, then did.
Miraculously, luckily, whatever..........

#2609 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:38

Yeah, right. He would have 53 poins. Yes, Nico have more points because he finish more races.

I'm starting to see Brawn as a 1-hit wonder and more a matter of circumstance and the dream team than a super manager which very little in it technically.

Yeah, that was probably all Todt. We thought because Brawn was in that group he is also good.

Edited by ivand911, 19 November 2012 - 07:46.

#2610 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:42

Of course he will, because next year car will be (much) better!!!! Maybe 3rd - 4th in the grid. Not because Michael is old. Where was Lewis at Monaco?

I meant in this year car. Well, Michael was a great car, best of last decade, but nowdays Michael, since his come back aint the same driver. I rate him as high as Webber now (his current form not his previous one). That's one I assume he would lose vs Hamilton greatly. He had also many odd accidents like in Barcelona or Singapour. That's not the very same time reaction, driving as he used to have. That's not any dis on Michael or something, he is just not in the age to race on the best level anymore, and it is quite normal than people at age of Lewis, with such extraodrinary skills are superior to him at the moment. I believe there are more than 6 drivers at the moment better than Schumacher (but as I said it is mostly to his age)

About new car W04 as some call it already... Hmmmm... I heard the same from Mercedes every year, so I'll wait for first race to see the result of what they are saying atm. Especially after seeing HOW MISERABLE is their development. I just can't believe that this car had a win. Their development is less than 0 for me, switching to normal exhaust to know how coanda works... what kind of explanation is that. It is liek saying "We have no idea if our aero works at all, especially with coanda exhaust". Sometimes I think they have no idea how the car works.

And what is funniest... it is next season where tyres are unknown for them (while all other on grid discovered how the tyres works).

Edited by Shiroo, 19 November 2012 - 07:45.

#2611 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:51

He had also many odd accidents like in Barcelona or Singapour.

Who doesn't? Vettel and Nico last race? It happens. Many drivers(JV) said that Barcelona was Senna fault. You can't change direction in barking zone. Michael show many times that he has speed. China he was second and Mclaren't couldn't catch him. Monaco. It is easy to compare him with Lewis in his McLaren. This year Michael and Nico are pretty equal, like last year. So, we will see how is Lewis against Nico. The problem is Lewis don't know how to drive shit cars. Where Nico can.

Edited by ivand911, 19 November 2012 - 07:57.

#2612 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:58

Who doesn't? Vettel and Nico last race? It happens. Many drivers(JV) said that Barcelona was Senna fault. You can't change direction in barking zone. Michael show many times that he has speed. China he was second and Mclaren't couldn't catch him. Monaco. It is easy to compare him with Lewis in his McLaren. This year Michael and Nico are pretty equal, like last year. So, we will see how is Lewis against Nico. The problem is Lewis don't know how to drive shit cars. Where Nico can.

Lewis 2009 car was a shit at the start season and in mid as well.
So maybe there is time for last for Mercedes to produce a decent car not again POS.
I dont mean title contender, but a car that can fight for POINTS every race (coz it was their 5th race without a point for god's sake)

Edited by Shiroo, 19 November 2012 - 07:59.

#2613 SparkPlug

SparkPlug

• 491 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:07

What a terrible season this has turned out to be for the Mercedes team. This is beyond appaling at this point in time. I am almost at that point where I lose complete interest in this team that I so dearly enjoyed seeing on the grid in 2010 and 2011, with its rich motorsport history and massive legacy in the sport.

I can feel for the likes of Schumacher and his fans. This must be terribly painful to watch. Mercedes have ruined the comeback of Germany's finest racing driver. I am pretty sure back home there must be a lot of grumbling fans now angry at this team, knowing the kind of following MS enjoys in Germany even today.

#2614 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:08

Lewis 2009 car was a shit at the start season and in mid as well.
So maybe there is time for last for Mercedes to produce a decent car not again POS.
I dont mean title contender, but a car that can fight for POINTS every race (coz it was their 5th race without a point for god's sake)

Lets wait until he sit in W04. Maybe then we will talk about shit car.
How you will feel for Lewis if he was driving W03 and to say he has 100 points now. Points doesn't matter really for me, is it 43 or 100? He will be 8th in WDC. After 7 DNFs.

Edited by ivand911, 19 November 2012 - 08:28.

#2615 DS27

DS27

• 1,092 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:33

Tell me you aren't serious?

Trading in your car because the respective f1 team isn't doing so great is bordering on the ridiculous.

No - I traded in my car because my job dictates I turn up at Client's sites in a 'nearly' new car and the Merc was a few years old. However, my current feeling towards Merc DID dictate that I wouldn't replace my car with another newer Merc, so I bought another German marque. Happy?

#2616 DS27

DS27

• 1,092 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:38

Tell me you aren't serious?

you must be a marketers dream! If alonso doesn't win the championship next week are you going to sell your Ferrari? Ha!

No, again - I sold the 355B in 2004. Something you will (probably) only ever dream of. I'm making an assumption here of course; just like you....

Edited by DS27, 19 November 2012 - 08:52.

#2617 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:11

Lets wait until he sit in W04. Maybe then we will talk about shit car.
How you will feel for Lewis if he was driving W03 and to say he has 100 points now. Points doesn't matter really for me, is it 43 or 100? He will be 8th in WDC. After 7 DNFs.

He has car with shitty reliability as well now xD hopefully Mercedes will improve that, also improve race pace, quali pace, pit stops, tactic, tyre managment and frickin everything :p

#2618 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,749 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:12

Aabar sells its stake in Mercedes-AMG F1 to Daimler.
http://www.bloomberg...imler-unit.html

Daimler now 100% owner.

#2619 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:23

The rules do not change much for 2013, the tires do not change much for 2013 and Mercedes seems to be the only team still lacking a basic understanding of the tires. No up-date improved the car and in comparison to the midfliedl teams it got worse, now they are hardly at the TorroRosso level.

So I wonder how the 2013 has any hope of being a top level car.

Advertisement

#2620 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:13

The rules do not change much for 2013, the tires do not change much for 2013 and Mercedes seems to be the only team still lacking a basic understanding of the tires. No up-date improved the car and in comparison to the midfliedl teams it got worse, now they are hardly at the TorroRosso level.

So I wonder how the 2013 has any hope of being a top level car.

The saddest thing is that even HRT and Marussia have improved more during the season :lol:

#2621 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,646 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:24

Aabar sells its stake in Mercedes-AMG F1 to Daimler.
http://www.bloomberg...imler-unit.html

Daimler now 100% owner.

I'm very surprised by that!

#2622 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:25

yep. This car is so horrible that W04 hardly can get worse. [...]

That's what they said about the RA107 as well - and the team really outdid themselves to prove people wrong.

#2623 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:29

That's what they said about the RA107 as well - and the team really outdid themselves to prove people wrong.

so you expect Mercedes next year to fall behind like of Marussia and Caterham or only TR?.. :)
IF not early season few good showings, Mercedes would end this season at 8th position

#2624 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:31

Dark days for Merc, how did they go from one of the best cars at the start of the year to a complete shitbox? They seem to be doing this consistently every year, their development pace is terrible.

#2625 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:40

Dark days for Merc, how did they go from one of the best cars at the start of the year to a complete shitbox? They seem to be doing this consistently every year, their development pace is terrible.

To be honest... I still believe the early track were just fitting the car + no one had working coanda yet as it should so power exhaust wasnt bad back then. Also China was just mercedes-track, with long straight, DDRS working like a charm there etc. Coz in other races in 1st half of the season, Mercedes wasnt brilliant tbh (points were sure but not podiums).

Seems like the car from the beginning was failure as concept

#2626 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:44

To be honest... I still believe the early track were just fitting the car + no one had working coanda yet as it should so power exhaust wasnt bad back then. Also China was just mercedes-track, with long straight, DDRS working like a charm there etc. Coz in other races in 1st half of the season, Mercedes wasnt brilliant tbh (points were sure but not podiums).

Seems like the car from the beginning was failure as concept

Seems like the last 3 years have all been failed concepts, thats the problem. They haven't produced one good car in 3 years. And winning one race doesnt make this years car good, its a pig.

#2627 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,110 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:45

Why would you be? Their investment in the team hasn't yielded a return aside from that win and pole in China. With Schumacher going, there will probably be a loss of fans (even though Lewis is coming in) and the team have been in decline since Germany/Hungary which is half the season. If I was an investor I would be seriously miffed at the team. Let's not also forget that all press for Mercedes of late has been bad press, and it is now 5 races (a QUARTER of the season) in which they failed to score points.

What return? Maybe Aabar's investment horizon was 3-4 years but they are cutting their losses due to the terminal incompetency of this team.

#2628 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:49

Seems like the last 3 years have all been failed concepts, thats the problem. They haven't produced one good car in 3 years. And winning one race doesnt make this years car good, its a pig.

Which is amazing, cause Lotus for example with less resources and bad last year, brought this year a car that should be 2nd-3rd in WCC and only to Grosjean they didnt secured better position than 4th.

Meanwhile Mercedes, with large resources, great tunnel and such, brilliant engineers is going clearly backward. If they won't be stronger next year, and if they wont be able to challenge for 4th in WCC then I won't have hope for this team as WDC/WCC contender ever (not in 2014 even, cause engine is not everything)

#2629 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:59

Which is amazing, cause Lotus for example with less resources and bad last year, brought this year a car that should be 2nd-3rd in WCC and only to Grosjean they didnt secured better position than 4th.

Meanwhile Mercedes, with large resources, great tunnel and such, brilliant engineers is going clearly backward. If they won't be stronger next year, and if they wont be able to challenge for 4th in WCC then I won't have hope for this team as WDC/WCC contender ever (not in 2014 even, cause engine is not everything)

I just feel Mercedes isnt deserving of a talent like Lewis, and its strange to say something like that, but I just feel his career is going to go down the toilet, and he will be seeking a move back to mcLaren within 2 years, or, if Vettel does go to Ferrari, Lewis will want a crack in a Newey car. Who knows, Merc might come out and have a good car next year, but all signs point to the opposite, a team that can't get their heads around the tyres and burn them out faster than most other teams, with a driver who can at times be harsh on tyres, sounds like disaster.

#2630 karlth

karlth

• 16,254 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:14

The most important advantage Hamilton will bring to Mercedes next year is a removal of a variable. Montezemolo said it best in 1995 after Ferrari signed Schumacher: Now there are no excuses, if the car is slow then there is something wrong with the it.

I'm fairly certain that rightly or wrongly the Mercedes technical team have wondered whether the car's lack of performance is partly due to their drivers' inability to work the tires. Well next year there will be no excuses and that is extremely important for the development of the car.

#2631 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,556 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:21

This weekend conformed (if someone actually doubted it) that the drivers are in no way the problem.

#2632 sharo

sharo

• 1,790 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:40

The most important advantage Hamilton will bring to Mercedes next year is a removal of a variable. Montezemolo said it best in 1995 after Ferrari signed Schumacher: Now there are no excuses, if the car is slow then there is something wrong with the it.

I'm fairly certain that rightly or wrongly the Mercedes technical team have wondered whether the car's lack of performance is partly due to their drivers' inability to work the tires. Well next year there will be no excuses and that is extremely important for the development of the car.

Even a half-blind would see that long long time ago. For three years they've had an excellent driver pair.

#2633 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:45

btw HOW Schumacher was 5th after first corner and then he was like 10th after 5-6 laps? That's fastest losing place in race I believe without errors. He was driving onr acing line and all and still people were overtaking him like he was driving a Caterham. Especially that Mercedes has fine top speed... Does Mercedes have that weak traction that people are at their back coming out of slow corners that are pre drs zone and pre start straight?

BTW even if Schumacher isnt in his finest form. He still is good driver, in top 8 definetly atm. And he for example yday was losing places like madman. Rosbeg was nowhere. That has nothing with drivers, that's major car problem with major tyres problem. Car aero-wise is bad, only good point is power, traction doesnt exist, tyres are eaten alive by car.

How a team cant find a solution to make a car work for 3 years.

Edited by Shiroo, 19 November 2012 - 11:47.

#2634 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,749 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:48

This has been on the cards for some time. There was talk of Aabar selling since last year.

#2635 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:52

Don't you think it's time you get off Schumacher's back? Problem, whatever else it is, is not with Schumacher. Hamilton has a relatively good car to his disposal for many years, and I do not see him performing miracles on consistent basis, thus I am puzzled origins of your believe, that prophet Hamilton is going to perform any better next year. If there is, and I hope there will be, any progress, than only because influence of new technical heads might come to play; nothing more, nothing less. Drivers might respond to that change.

Edited by Sakae, 19 November 2012 - 11:54.

#2636 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,775 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:53

btw HOW Schumacher was 5th after first corner and then he was like 10th after 5-6 laps? That's fastest losing place in race I believe without errors. He was driving onr acing line and all and still people were overtaking him like he was driving a Caterham. Especially that Mercedes has fine top speed... Does Mercedes have that weak traction that people are at their back coming out of slow corners that are pre drs zone and pre start straight?

BTW even if Schumacher isnt in his finest form. He still is good driver, in top 8 definetly atm. And he for example yday was losing places like madman. Rosbeg was nowhere. That has nothing with drivers, that's major car problem with major tyres problem. Car aero-wise is bad, only good point is power, traction doesnt exist, tyres are eaten alive by car.

How a team cant find a solution to make a car work for 3 years.

he simply had NO grip. the car looked like worse care I;ve ever seen in that first stint. He tried to defend hard but there was no point.

#2637 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,556 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:59

Speed had onboard cam set on Michael. Sadly not much to watch.

But it was obvious the car had no grip.

#2638 femi

femi

• 6,313 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:08

What does that mean? Personally, I see it as a good thing...

#2639 apoka

apoka

• 3,569 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:09

I think both current drivers are good and experienced enough to get the work the tyres appropriately. I would rather phrase your argument as "Mercedes will have a driver who was very recently in a top team and can compare the W04 to it.".

Advertisement

#2640 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:16

And then Mercedes will say that they dont have experience with new driver and that's why they are not winning WDC and WCC this year, and their 2nd driver isnt the driver that the car was made for :]

#2641 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:38

It pains me to say it, but I think some serious questions need to start being answered of Ross Brawn. Ross had terrific success at Ferrari, but in a different role to the one he now occupies at Mercedes. I remember when Ross came in at Honda nothing much happened for ages apart from he got hold of some nice green trousers, but
Jenson was forever bemoaning the lack of improvement to the car.

Yes yes I know all about 2009, but that was a combination of some tricky rule interpreting and a HUGE amount of money being thrown at the car by Honda over about a year. The car then slid alarmingly down the grid once the other teams had caught up.

Mercedes is a failing project. If Lewis Hamilton turns out not to be magic after all, and the car Michael was running in Texas is in any way indicative of the W04, I think Mercedes should have a very close look at their management structure.

#2642 karlth

karlth

• 16,254 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:10

It pains me to say it, but I think some serious questions need to start being answered of Ross Brawn. Ross had terrific success at Ferrari, but in a different role to the one he now occupies at Mercedes. I remember when Ross came in at Honda nothing much happened for ages ...

Hardly ages. Honda decided to leave F1 barely half a year after Brawn joined.

#2643 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:16

Daimler buys Aabar's Mercedes Formula 1 team stake
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104403

Probably a good time to do so, with the current performance it couldn't be that expensive :p

#2644 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,749 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:17

Hardly ages. Honda decided to leave F1 barely half a year after Brawn joined.

Honda withdrew at the end of 2008. Brawn joined in 2007. He turned the team around to the become champion (albeit with a Mercedes engine) in 2009. Impressive if you ask me.

Edit:
And before anyone brings up the Double diffusor argument. Toyota and Williams had double diffusers from the beginning as well. And how did they do in 2009?
Why does no one bring up Redbull's substantial advantage with pivoting front wings, which is a loophole as well?

Edited by Timstr11, 19 November 2012 - 13:23.

#2645 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,646 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:18

What does that mean? Personally, I see it as a good thing...

I will be surprised to learn that Mercedes wanted to dish out the cash for that stake now! Maybe they got a good price? Well, I somehow doubt that Aabar was in urgent need of fresh liquids, and were forced to sell, and thus at a low price.

#2646 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:52

Honda withdrew at the end of 2008. Brawn joined in 2007. He turned the team around to the become champion (albeit with a Mercedes engine) in 2009. Impressive if you ask me.

Edit:
And before anyone brings up the Double diffusor argument. Toyota and Williams had double diffusers from the beginning as well. And how did they do in 2009?
Why does no one bring up Redbull's substantial advantage with pivoting front wings, which is a loophole as well?

I already said I am aware of the DD argument, but I countered that - what about the unprecedented money that Honda threw at that car over a year long period? What was Ross's involvement there? He deserves credit for getting the car onto the grid by securing the Merc engine and the necessary funding, but what happened with the car after that? Did I imagine the team really struggling to wrap up both titles in the second half of 2009? The team were able to start the season with a huge car advantage, but then what happened?

#2647 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,749 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:29

I already said I am aware of the DD argument, but I countered that - what about the unprecedented money that Honda threw at that car over a year long period? What was Ross's involvement there? He deserves credit for getting the car onto the grid by securing the Merc engine and the necessary funding, but what happened with the car after that? Did I imagine the team really struggling to wrap up both titles in the second half of 2009? The team were able to start the season with a huge car advantage, but then what happened?

They were BROKE. There was no development money. I am not aware of Honda throwing money around. There was a crisis in the car industry, remember? Which triggered Honda to pull out. They left the team with some money to cover running costs, but it was just that.

They had to be wary about the needs for 2010 while not putting too much into 2009 development.
The team was decimated. From over 700 employees in 2008 to 400 in 2008. Disrupted.
Other teams were enjoying full stability while this team was going through hell. Stability means a lot in F1.

Edited by Timstr11, 19 November 2012 - 14:37.

#2648 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:35

They were BROKE. There was no development money.

They had to be wary about the needs for 2010 while not putting too much into 2009 development.
The team was decimated. From over 700 employees in 2008 to 400 in 2008. Disrupted.
Other teams were enjoying full stability while this team was going through hell. Stability means a lot in F1.

Fair enough, but then why can the team still not develop?

#2649 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,749 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:48

Fair enough, but then why can the team still not develop?

Surely they've made mistakes and made wrong decisions. There are things they should have done earlier which were not done. They had a weak engineering team which they realized too late.
And if you're this far back, not in the title fight, you're not going to put unnecessary effort in the current car. It's just not wise.
As I said several times, I'd be really worried if they were not changing anything and just carrying on, but they've made changes.
Next year will tell if the changes were the right ones.

#2650 jav

jav

• 197 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:07

Some smarter fans saw the writing on the wall earlier than others... I was one of the dumb ones that held out hope for too long.

They've tried staff changes, substanial ones, with nary an improvement in form. Changing the driver won't make a difference to there biggest weakness- in season development. And Lewis, while good, isn't good enough to carry this team. Whatever increase in form Lewis "might" bring, will also bring less tolerance, prudence and professionalism than the elder statesman he hopes to out do.

Lewis complains about McLarens reliability costing him in the title fight, and this influenced his decision to leave. Imagine his comments driving a car with less pace, that eats tires and the reliabilty Micheal experienced this year? Then throw in Mercs historic inability to deal with problems... let alone progress at the same time! I suspect Lewis will put on the team face for about half a season, when things don't improve, body language and the occasional "slip" will give glimpses beyond the facad presented to the cameras .

Whitmarsh was right even if Lewis won't admit it. On it's face, his decision can't be sitting well based on the facts. No- Lewis, like many Merc fans, has bought into the hope that the team WILL improve, and when it does, he will be creditted with doing something that the great Schumacher couldn't- bring Mercedes to the top.

I suspect we'll see a new pen name on here next year and I'll welcome "Best Brit" to the forums. It took some of us longer than others, but I suspect you too will learn that hope is an unreliable commodity here. But look on the bright side, if you can at least out score Britney, you're reputation will be spared.

Edited by jav, 19 November 2012 - 15:14.