Photo

Racing Comments thread locks

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 13:16

Any reason for the sudden decision to start locking threads and starting 'part 2's for them? Racing comments is now filled with locked threads

Advertisement

#2 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 13:24

As with the previous version of the forum software we have been requested to keep threads to a manageable size, so we will be closing all threads when they get to around 4000 posts and if required starting new ones labled Part II, Part III etc. Appologies if this causes any problems.

#3 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 18:13

I hope this will ease the load on the server. Miles long threads demand a lot of resources AFAIK.

#4 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,236 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 21:17

It's why people should start new threads on specific discussion points, rather than sticking everything in mega generic threads, where starting a new thread is seen as a cardinal sin

#5 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 22:10

Well if this is going to help the server then great. It's a small inconvenience if it means next week in Canada we can actually use the forums... :)

#6 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 21:23

So, there is no money to increase the capacity and thus this is another solution to the huge and continuous problems of the server acces? I never knew server upgrades were that expensive.

#7 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,721 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 17:57

...seems to me the locking of all these threads, has to a degree killed off a lot of the action on the forum. (...well, if I'm right this too will help ease the load on the server.)

Seriously, I'm all for the locking of the big threads if they will ease server-load, but it is a big downside that getting atleast some of these part 2 threads up and running, seems a bit stuck in syrup.

Best option would of course be a server powerful enough to handle all traffic even in the long threads, even in weekends right after F1-action.

#8 gricey1981

gricey1981

• 1,192 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:52

...seems to me the locking of all these threads, has to a degree killed off a lot of the action on the forum. (...well, if I'm right this too will help ease the load on the server.)

Seriously, I'm all for the locking of the big threads if they will ease server-load, but it is a big downside that getting atleast some of these part 2 threads up and running, seems a bit stuck in syrup.

Best option would of course be a server powerful enough to handle all traffic even in the long threads, even in weekends right after F1-action.

Don't think it is quite as easy as just rolling up with a bigger database server plugging it and bam faster access.

#9 GhostR

GhostR

• 3,783 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 23:26

Don't think it is quite as easy as just rolling up with a bigger database server plugging it and bam faster access.

It's not. I'm guessing this is a software limitation issue rather than hardware. Having been involved with the admin side of many forums over many years, I know that most of them aren't actually designed with mega-long single threads in mind.

#10 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:28

Reply area have changed? Looks different. No buttons for quote, image and other thing on top of posting window? It was better before.

Edited by ivand911, 09 June 2012 - 07:29.

#11 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:38

Reply area have changed? Looks different. No buttons for quote, image and other thing on top of posting window? It was better before.

I don't notice anything different. Any chance of a screenshot?

#12 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:31

There is an instinct to make it mysterious isn't there? "For technical reasons". I think it could have been helpful to just mention the 4,000 post limit and server load issue in the RC threads, then everyone would have understood.

#13 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 14:33

I've seen that, too. I think it's just a temporary glitch because it always returns to normal when I try again. I've assumed it has something to do with the quality of my internet connection because I only seem to get these interesting reply views when I'm using my BRUTAL wireless connection. Even then, it doesn't happen too often.

As for pulling the plug on mega threads... I guess I'm in a party of one when I say that, in many cases, it seems like a good idea regardless of whether it's dictated by technical necessity or something less compelling. I happen to find the generic mammoth threads that have taken over the board so overwhelming that I've basically stopped reading them. Quite frankly, I have neither the time nor the interest to read or chit-chat about any team/driver on a daily basis - only when something actually happens. That may be once a week or once a month but many of those threads move so fast and in several different directions that it's difficult to catch/keep up with what's going on if you only show up sporadically. Long story short, I rather give up on a thread than wade through 50 pages of stuff I have no interest in so I can find the three posts that discuss something I wanted to read about. I appreciate that I'm at the casual end of the fan spectrum here so mine is likely an unpopular opinion but I thought I'd put it out there anyway.

Now that I think about it, I guess my problem isn't mega threads but speedster threads. It's not the 9268 and counting posts that put me off a thread, it's the pace a thread proceeds at. For example, I enjoy the bike thread because it moves at a manageable pace. Towards the end of the season, there will be thousands of posts but the thread is still readable because missing a week only means there's maybe two pages of discussion to catch up on. Two, not frigging twenty-two.

Edited by kismet, 09 June 2012 - 14:40.

#14 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 21:58

Well said Kismet. I like to consider myself "not-obsessive" rather than "casual" about following F1. But those big threads are too much. They seem to suck all the interesting discussion out of the single-issue F1 threads, which are quite often just foolishness or lame trolling.

Edited by Risil, 09 June 2012 - 21:59.

#15 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:41

Totally agree, I don't even stick my head into half of them these days. This topic comes up every year or 2 here.

#16 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 19:22

Noticing that again, the forum seems a bit clinical with this.

Say for example, i wanted to discuss a new redbull front wing, its expected to be put in the huge thread 'dedicated' to the RB8, but it quickly gets lost. Does everyone read each of the large threads daily to check if there is any thinly related strand to which they may have an interest.

Would be much better if people felt free to post threads without being jumped on with "There's a thread for any RB8 discussions". I don't want to discuss the RB8, i want to discuss the new front wing.

(for example)

#17 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 20:25

Noticing that again, the forum seems a bit clinical with this.

Say for example, i wanted to discuss a new redbull front wing, its expected to be put in the huge thread 'dedicated' to the RB8, but it quickly gets lost. Does everyone read each of the large threads daily to check if there is any thinly related strand to which they may have an interest.

Would be much better if people felt free to post threads without being jumped on with "There's a thread for any RB8 discussions". I don't want to discuss the RB8, i want to discuss the new front wing.

(for example)

If you want to discuss something that would be better covered as a singular thread, create a new thread. As long as your opening thread is constructive and not a one liner and invites discussion, then it is fine and unlikely to be merged if it is a valid topic.

#18 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:29

I have to echo D.M.N's words.

There may be peer group pressure to put everything into one of the big threads, but not from us. You still need to be diligent about searching first to see if a thread has already been started on the subject.