Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#451 FastestSector

FastestSector

• 80 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 15:18

Jake just loves working for the Beeb and most of the F1 crew seem to as well. Can't say I share your feelings about him - I think he's great.

Advertisement

#452 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,603 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 16:50

Quite enjoying watching the team principles press conferences on Sky, although generally can't say the same for the drivers one. They look bored and in fairness, some of the questions put to them are ridiculous.

Bit disappointed that only Alonso and Hamilton had the decency to pass on their best to Maria de Villota when asked the other day.

#453 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,834 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:00

It's possible some of the drivers didn't know her.

#454 johnhen

johnhen

• 61 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:09

Lewis said he didn't know her but still passed on his best wishes to her and her family. As did Alonso who I believe does know her. The rest just sat there stoney faced. They could have said something, surely it's the decent thing to do, she is a collegue after all.

#455 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:12

Coulthard is really in his element now. He often laughs while he is commentating, reminds me of an F1 fan. Today was great for that, as was the race at Valencia, it was hilarious and brought a smile to his face. Great that he can laugh at himself, he never really did this much with Brundle.

Lee McKenzie, what a darling, so sweet and yet still so talented.

I really don't miss Brundle at all. He was starting to get quite arrogant in his old age anyway, glad to see the back of him. Likeability of a commentator is important and even Legard is more likeable than Brundle.

Anyone know which races to come are Sky only?

#456 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:14

Lewis said he didn't know her but still passed on his best wishes to her and her family. As did Alonso who I believe does know her. The rest just sat there stoney faced. They could have said something, surely it's the decent thing to do, she is a collegue after all.

Don't be such a drama queen. It's a race weekend and drivers come to race not pour out grief to one and all.

#457 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,405 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:22

Don't be such a drama queen. It's a race weekend and drivers come to race not pour out grief to one and all.

What's grief got to do with it? it's about showing support for a fellow F1 driver?

#458 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:27

What's grief got to do with it? it's about showing support for a fellow F1 driver?

Come on, she's on the periphery. There are a great many people on the periphery too and you can't expect drivers to make a big deal every time one of them comes to some sort of harm. I dare say the drivers are closer to some of the mechanics and managers than they are to test drivers.

Anyway, this is getting OT....

#459 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,405 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:34

It's not OT, it's a matter of respect. But obviously everyone has a different perception over what is right and what they should do.

Advertisement

#460 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 699 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 19:06

It's not OT, it's a matter of respect. But obviously everyone has a different perception over what is right and what they should do.

Actually the matter of drivers wishing other people better is very off topic for a thread regarding the BBC vs. Sky coverage...

#461 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,888 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 19:48

Coulthard is really in his element now. He often laughs while he is commentating, reminds me of an F1 fan. Today was great for that, as was the race at Valencia, it was hilarious and brought a smile to his face. Great that he can laugh at himself, he never really did this much with Brundle.

Lee McKenzie, what a darling, so sweet and yet still so talented.

I really don't miss Brundle at all. He was starting to get quite arrogant in his old age anyway, glad to see the back of him. Likeability of a commentator is important and even Legard is more likeable than Brundle.

Anyone know which races to come are Sky only?

After the British GP, the next live one is SPA on 1st Sept.

#462 weareracing

weareracing

• 887 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 23:00

Just wondering why the BBC are doing the pre-race show on BBC1 before switching to BBC2 for the race?
I KNOW it's Andy Murray at Wimbledon, BUT......it's also the British GP!
why not start as you mean to finish?
If you want your flagship Tennis on BBC1 ok, but please START the British GP broadcast on BBC2, Simples!!

#463 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,128 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 23:08

I watched the Sky coverage live and decided to watch the BBC on iPlayer. If I was asked which one I would want to watch again the only thing that would pull me to the BBC was Murray Walker.

I haven't watched the Sky coverage for the last couple of races so I didn't know how things were going. I got the impression that Sky had a lot more access than the BBC as the season is going along, At the first race it was as if nobody wanted to know them.

Am I the only one that has noticed this?

#464 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,845 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:21

This might come as a shock, but there are formula one fans in countries that aren't in the United Kingdom.

Not a surprise at all, but this thread is dedicated to United Kingdom TV coverage. And I'm even older than longtijmefan, so I had a pretty good idea what he meant. I've been watching motor sport since just after longtimefan got out of nappies.

I watched the Sky coverage live and decided to watch the BBC on iPlayer. If I was asked which one I would want to watch again the only thing that would pull me to the BBC was Murray Walker.

I haven't watched the Sky coverage for the last couple of races so I didn't know how things were going. I got the impression that Sky had a lot more access than the BBC as the season is going along, At the first race it was as if nobody wanted to know them.

Am I the only one that has noticed this?

No, you're not.

Once the rain started I switched back to the cricket, popping back to both Sky and BBC between overs. BBC seemed to be very much the Jake'n'Eddie Show. At one point Ben Edwards was wittering on about the rules if they didn't restart, but obviously not knowing what he was talking about it: 15 minuts later Ted (I think) was giving chapter and verse on the same subject on Sky.

Then it was Jake'n'Eddie this, Jake'n'Eddie that with a bit of Christian Horner and a brief piece with Ross Brawn. Sky meanwhile doing lots of solid analysis with McNish, interview with Niki Lauda etc etc.

The one bit I heard of Murray suggested that the old boy might be losing it: he was saying that when Perez arrived in F1 he reckoned he was just another Mexican pay driver with lots of money behind him so wouldn't be any good. Nobody who saw Perez in GP2 would have said that.

I watched Lee's piece on BBC News last night and it featured ... Christian bloody Horner! :yawnface:

Like I say, until the qualifying restarted my main focus was on the cricket, so I might be being unfair, but I don't think so. I've watched the Sky coverage of every race and as the season has progressed the team has really gelled. Crofty and Martin work well together and Lazenby is noticeably more relaxed, as is Damon: his repartee with Johnny Herbert particularly is good. They've pretty much abandoned the corporate look they started with and it now comes across very much as a group of knowledgable friends discussing the racing. But without - thankfully - the "comedy" element that is EJ. I suspect they may have taken some lessons from the Sky cricket commentators in that regard and it may be significant that Sir Ian Botham was mentioning on the cricket commentary that he'll be at Silverstone and although he didn't put in the obligatory plug for Sky I'd be willing to bet we see or hear something from Beefy on Sky today. I'd like to see Sky find a permanent place for McNish too if he wants it (get well soon Ant! :up: )

Edited by Vitesse2, 08 July 2012 - 07:30.

#465 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:36

Just wondering why the BBC are doing the pre-race show on BBC1 before switching to BBC2 for the race?
I KNOW it's Andy Murray at Wimbledon, BUT......it's also the British GP!
why not start as you mean to finish?
If you want your flagship Tennis on BBC1 ok, but please START the British GP broadcast on BBC2, Simples!!

Ignoring the fact more people will be watching the tennis today than the Grand Prix; more people watch BBC 1 than BBC 2, and there are a good few dim types who seem unable to locate their programme if its not on its normal channel. Hence capturing the wider audiences attention on BBC 1 first.

Wait until DMN publishes the viewing figures in the next few days. I'll wager that there will be a drop off in numbers when it comes to the changing of channels. It's happened before in the past and it's rather amusing to think that there are people too stupid/lazy to press the number 2 button on their remotes.

#466 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:38

The thing I appreciated personally is that Damon Hill was able to concede that not everything is perfect with Silverstone (obviously)... he was in a tough spot this weekend with all that's happened, and he took it on the chin while still defending the fact this is a great circuit (I fully agree with that)

The Sky team also addressed the issue of switching over to more park-and-ride (shuttle system), and while I've been arguing this was the obvious solution here on the forum, Brundle said the money just isn't there to do that, which I fully believe.

It's still the obvious solution, but what is increasingly apparent is that Silverstone can't compete with other venues by being almost 100% private, and for that Bernie is to blame.

#467 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:40

Anyone else finds Gary Anderson's cut ins rather irritating? His voice is silent and very indistinct, especially when some cars are reving in the pitlane... Yes he's an expert but you have to have good voice to work on the radio

#468 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,845 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:48

The thing I appreciated personally is that Damon Hill was able to concede that not everything is perfect with Silverstone (obviously)... he was in a tough spot this weekend with all that's happened, and he took it on the chin while still defending the fact this is a great circuit (I fully agree with that)

Er, Damon's no longer BRDC President, so as such he's now just a well-informed insider rather than a management voice. It's now Derek Warwick, who did a really funny exchange on the F1 Show with Herbert as to why he had a BRDC Gold Star and Johnny didn't: "It's because I'm a World Champion and you're .... not!" :lol:

#469 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:49

Also Johnny Herbert is freaking brilliant.. he seamlessly can make the bridge between complicated or controversial stuff to easily consumable information..

If you're a hardcore fan you'll know he's defusing a situation or making it more accessible than it should be, but at the same time he's not kid's channel enough to make you curse and disconnect..

He's a great F1 pundit IMHO.

#470 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:52

Er, Damon's no longer BRDC President, so as such he's now just a well-informed insider rather than a management voice. It's now Derek Warwick, who did a really funny exchange on the F1 Show with Herbert as to why he had a BRDC Gold Star and Johnny didn't: "It's because I'm a World Champion and you're .... not!" :lol:

Well, the way it was approached it was obvious it was still very personal to Hill... which makes sense regardless of the title or the paycheck.

#471 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:12

Since I'm on a roll.. I also watched plenty of BBC coverage since the beginning of the season.

The race commentary is fine I think, even though I prefer Croft and Brundle.. I also find DC and EJ to be quite funny, it's irresistible in a juvenile kind of way.. but count me in the crowd that finds Humphrey's head has inflated a bit too much..

As much as Lazenby is awkward and weird, Humphrey is as bad by putting himself on a pedestal and trying extremely hard to be a smartass..

#472 Snic

Snic

• 563 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:19

Also Johnny Herbert is freaking brilliant.. he seamlessly can make the bridge between complicated or controversial stuff to easily consumable information..

If you're a hardcore fan you'll know he's defusing a situation or making it more accessible than it should be, but at the same time he's not kid's channel enough to make you curse and disconnect..

He's a great F1 pundit IMHO.

Yep and he's always got a cheeky grin flickering around like a naughty schoolboy. Mcnish is brilliant I could listen to him rambling all day.

Pity the Wimbledon final is scheduled at the same bloody time surely they could start an hour later now they have a roof!

#473 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,603 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:28

Why should that actually matter?

#474 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:29

Really enjoying Sky's pre race coverage so far. Best yet :up:

#475 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,603 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:32

Really enjoying Sky's pre race coverage so far. Best yet :up:

Seems pretty good. I can't say I have much interest in listening to David Cameron though (will he actually answer any of Georgie's questions?)

#476 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:41

Ahh, good. The obligatory stand round the camera and grin.

#477 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,790 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:47

Seems pretty good. I can't say I have much interest in listening to David Cameron though (will he actually answer any of Georgie's questions?)

His pudgy smarmy face really annoys me, and I'm sure he'll be talking the same crap he does during PMQs, wise decision by Sky to put it on as late as they can but before the BBC coverage starts.

#478 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,790 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:52

That animation was brilliant

Here's Nigel Mansell's 1995 moustache

That's nothing just Something the FIA want tested to make next year's season more exciting :lol: :lol:

#479 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

That animation was brilliant

Here's Nigel Mansell's 1995 moustache

That's nothing just Something the FIA want tested to make next year's season more exciting :lol: :lol:

+1 :up:

Advertisement

#480 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,043 posts

His pudgy smarmy face really annoys me, and I'm sure he'll be talking the same crap he does during PMQs, wise decision by Sky to put it on as late as they can but before the BBC coverage starts.

Could be worse, they could talk to Wallace Milliband or even Ed Balls *shudder*

Edited by Crafty, 08 July 2012 - 10:53.

#481 DN5

DN5

• 276 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:54

Loved the McLaren animation - made me laugh! I didn't expect that.

Geoff

Edited by DN5, 08 July 2012 - 19:24.

#482 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,790 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:55

Could be worse, they could talk to Wallace Milliband or even Ed Balls *shudder*

True
Or Louise Mensch :well:

#483 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:57

Ken Clark :rolleyes:

#484 LB

LB

• 12,483 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:00

I don't have enough tv's/computers today. Bikes (both kinds) Tennis, the GP obviously ummm

#485 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,405 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:03

BBC'ers!!! 3 mins to go :)

#486 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,043 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:05

Nice feature on Sky with the Lotus

#487 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:09

Lol at BBC boys

#488 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,405 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:10

Hilarious :p Love it :)

#489 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,845 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:12

Nice feature on Sky with the Lotus

Yep. As one who grew up watching Graham and Jimmy it brought a lump to the throat seeing Damon in that open face helmet driving a 25.

Loved the Macca cartoon too! :up:

#490 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 293 posts

Whoooaaaa!

Jake, Eddie and DC on top of the Breitling Biplanes! This is gold!!

:drunk:

:lol:

#491 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,790 posts

BBC opening was very Jackass, very amusing though!

#492 F1EC

F1EC

• 857 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:16

Now THAT is why I watch the BBC. Hilariously fabulous, always innovative and never boring.

#493 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,043 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:17

Looks like they are just taking a leaf out of the top gear book, arseing about with irrelevancy imho.

#494 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,600 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:25

Ignoring the fact more people will be watching the tennis today than the Grand Prix; more people watch BBC 1 than BBC 2, and there are a good few dim types who seem unable to locate their programme if its not on its normal channel. Hence capturing the wider audiences attention on BBC 1 first.

Wait until DMN publishes the viewing figures in the next few days. I'll wager that there will be a drop off in numbers when it comes to the changing of channels. It's happened before in the past and it's rather amusing to think that there are people too stupid/lazy to press the number 2 button on their remotes.

I always assumed it's because there is a small, but significant number of TVs in public places always tuned to the same channel, often BBC 1.

#495 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,405 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:42

LOL - Brundle v DC :p

#496 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:47

Yeah...uhhh...gridwalk is a bit awkward.

#497 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,741 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:48

Watching streams of BBC and Sky together for the laughs.

Brundle is interviewing drivers and teams and as per usual the Beeb are interviewing so-called celebs who have zero interest in F1. lol nothing changes.

Edited by Longtimefan, 08 July 2012 - 11:48.

#498 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:55

Makes you proud to be British. I salute you Sir Murray Walker.

#499 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,223 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:19

Anyone elses Sky F1 channel stuttering like hell? Looks like a10fps computer game. BBC feed working fine do looks like a sky prob.

Advertisement

#500 Pyrone89

Pyrone89

• 228 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:42

When will directors learn that we don't need to see the face of who is interviewed, audo is enough. Let us watch the race FFS!