Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#501 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 270 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 13:54

Looking at that big wobbly moron trying to get into the BBC shot! He would do anything to get his mug in the shot!

Chumlee at Silverstone! What an embarrassment for his poor family.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Advertisement

#502 Fourjays

Fourjays

• 213 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:21

Anyone elses Sky F1 channel stuttering like hell? Looks like a10fps computer game. BBC feed working fine do looks like a sky prob.

Mine was fine today, but bizarrely I had that exact issue on BBC HD a few evenings a go. :confused: Perhaps some issues with the satellite?

#503 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,350 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:40

Really enjoying the F1 Forum :p

#504 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,806 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:24

BBC got a stage :)

#505 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 672 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:28

I need EJ in my band. :up:

#506 PEW

PEW

• 1,048 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:33

BBC got a stage :)

I thought that was a brilliant idea. As a Silverstone old timer , it brought back happy memories. Andn weren't the fans great! Not whinging like many forumers.

#507 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 21:05

I thought this week's F1 Forum was naff to be honest. No fresh insight or additional information that complimented the main programme and cringe levels were running high throughout.

#508 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,381 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 21:13

I thought this week's F1 Forum was naff to be honest. No fresh insight or additional information that complimented the main programme and cringe levels were running high throughout.

Clicked onto it during the rain break at Wimbledon. Saw EJ on the drums. Turned it off ...

#509 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 21:18

Why does Jake have to bang on about watching it on the Beeb all the time, getting digs in about Sky? Does he not realise it was the Beeb that didn't want F1 all the time? Infact the more I see of Jake, the more of a knob he seems.

Not once have I heard Sky mention the BBC.

#510 redbarron

redbarron

• 294 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 21:28

I still detect a lot of anti Alonso sentiment from the commentators or am I making something else of it? The commentators seemed to be hoping Alonso would drop back with his tires. Then Brundle had a bit of a go at Alonso for pouting his lip after the race. Brundle out of all of the commentators seems to dislike Alonso personally for some reason or other.

I suppose it didn't help having the Australian commentators cutting out from the Sky team to tell us how great Webber is!

#511 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,111 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 21:31

Haven't seen it yet. The post show stuff on Sky is quite long.

I have really enjoyed the Sky coverage this weekend. Having 2 ex stewards as pundits helps a lot as it gives a bigger insight as to whether drivers are likely to get a penalty and if so how much.

It's wierd, the first race they were pretty much ignored by the grid. Now it appears that they get first dibs on the interviews.

Simon has come on leaps and bounds since I last watched a race on Sky. He is still awkward, but he is finding his feet. His confidence has grown a lot. I think that the quali issues yesterday have helped them all quite a bit. Crofty, Brundle, Ted and Natalie had no problems with it as they have been there, done it and wore the t-shirt. For the others it was new territory. In most sports it is not necessary. They chucked Alan and Georgie out to get who they could.

Today they were mixing it in with the fans (admittedly Damon struggled a bit) but then Simon came into his own.

If you compare Australia to this weekend, it is now a totally different show. In fact, even going back to Monaco, it is loads better. I no longer have an issue with the Skypad.

The features were good too. I didn't know that the first purpose built race-track was Aintree. I know they used to race there.

#512 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 21:37

One thing is for sure: that watching races on Sky is far more entertainging than on BBC.

Best example is the most interesting part of the race which was the battle between Hamilton, Grosjean, Button and Rosberg.

Hamilton overtakes Rosberg and Grosjean follows soon after

BBC: "that was easy", "didn't have much to say"
Sky: "wow", "wow", "unbeliveable, Grosjean just put so much confidence into Rosberg leaving him space", "brave move"

#513 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,145 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 21:44

The features were good too. I didn't know that the first purpose built race-track was Aintree. I know they used to race there.

I take it they've never heard of Brooklands then :confused: and that's just in the UK

#514 F1Squishy

F1Squishy

• 64 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 21:59

I havn't got round to watching the BBC coverage yet but this is definetly one of Sky's best efforts yet. Nothing to complain about except Allan McNish making himself look like an idiot on the Skypad.

"Blablabla Perez not giving Maldonado space unlike Raikkonen blablabla, racing incident blablabla" 2 minutes later they show another camera angle of Maldonado losing control of his car on his own with atleast 2 car widths of space on the inside. :rotfl:

#515 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,228 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:02

One thing is for sure: that watching races on Sky is far more entertainging than on BBC.

Best example is the most interesting part of the race which was the battle between Hamilton, Grosjean, Button and Rosberg.

Hamilton overtakes Rosberg and Grosjean follows soon after

BBC: "that was easy", "didn't have much to say"
Sky: "wow", "wow", "unbeliveable, Grosjean just put so much confidence into Rosberg leaving him space", "brave move"

Yeah.

Regardless of the tyres, Grosjean's passes on Rosberg and Button were brilliant and little understated IMO.

#516 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,396 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:15

Why does Jake have to bang on about watching it on the Beeb all the time, getting digs in about Sky? Does he not realise it was the Beeb that didn't want F1 all the time? Infact the more I see of Jake, the more of a knob he seems.

Not once have I heard Sky mention the BBC.

Good point and yes he is an annoying little git who raises my blood pressure and makes me want to punch him hard in the face. You have to remember he's not an F1 fan, he's only interested in brown nosing his way up the BBC.

I had to stop following his twitter account because he's so damn arrogant and tweeting garbage like 'watching F1 delayed is just as good as seeing it live'. Wanker

Edited by Longtimefan, 09 July 2012 - 10:16.

#517 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:18

Ignoring the fact more people will be watching the tennis today than the Grand Prix; more people watch BBC 1 than BBC 2, and there are a good few dim types who seem unable to locate their programme if its not on its normal channel. Hence capturing the wider audiences attention on BBC 1 first.

Wait until DMN publishes the viewing figures in the next few days. I'll wager that there will be a drop off in numbers when it comes to the changing of channels. It's happened before in the past and it's rather amusing to think that there are people too stupid/lazy to press the number 2 button on their remotes.

These are the figures from D.M.N

F1 - 3.09m (20.9%)
* 12:05 to 12:55 - 2.64m (25.7%)
* 12:55 to 15:30 - 3.24m (19.4%)
* lowest since 2006 (unsurprisingly)

Including Sky will take you to about ~3.5m. Murray peaked with 16.9m (67.89%).

Tennis kinda won....

#518 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,228 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:21

Good point and yes he is an annoying little git who raises my blood pressure and makes me want to punch him hard in the face. You have to remember he's not an F1 fan, he's only interested in brown nosing his way up the BBC.

I had to stop following his twitter account because he's so damn arrogant and tweeting garbage like 'watching F1 delayed is just as good as seeing it live'. Wanker

That is the really annoying thing.

It's the BBC who f****d up here.

Claiming watching highlights is as good as live it just an insult to F1 fans IMO.

#519 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 1,375 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:22

Of course he is, he's a BBC employee. What do you expect him to do? Still has a million times more charisma and suitability to the anchor role than the awkward Lazenby on Sky.

Advertisement

#520 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,228 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:26

Of course he is, he's a BBC employee. What do you expect him to do? Still has a million times more charisma and suitability to the anchor role than the awkward Lazenby on Sky.

I don't rate Lazenby but you aren't comparing apples with apples here.

If Sky stick with Lazenby, it is far better to judge him next season than this. Regardless, the constant digs at Sky from Jake look silly and pretty unprofessional. People don't watch the BBC so they can see him.

#521 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,381 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:29

I take it they've never heard of Brooklands then :confused: and that's just in the UK

Mandzipop has actually misrepresented what was said, Chris. What Damon said was that Aintree was "the first purpose-built Grand Prix track in Britain". Certainly true in the post-war period, although you could perhaps make a case for one or more of the original Donington Park layouts, while still bearing in mind that it never hosted a British Grand Prix. Brooklands did host British Grands Prix twenty years after it was built, but I don't think anyone would argue that chicanes created with a few piles of sand constitute "building a circuit". Ian Titchmarsh was involved in the film, so I'm pretty sure it would have been him who suggested the wording to Damon.

#522 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:31

Call it a hunch, but I don't think you like him very much...

#523 Absulute

Absulute

• 837 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:55

Agreed, he's such a smug git.

Also, notice how he's changed his twitter account from jakehumphreyF1 to Mrjakehumphrey?

He doesn't give a monkeys about F1, he'd be just as happy presenting athletics, gardening or ready steady cook.

#524 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:05

Jesus wept. Don't watch the build up or post-race stuff if he offends you so much?

Edited by dank, 09 July 2012 - 11:08.

#525 Peat

Peat

• 1,140 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:10

Jesus wept. Don't watch the build up or post-race stuff if he offends you so much?

^This.

#526 Peat

Peat

• 1,140 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:13

Agreed, he's such a smug git.

Also, notice how he's changed his twitter account from jakehumphreyF1 to Mrjakehumphrey?

He doesn't give a monkeys about F1, he'd be just as happy presenting athletics, gardening or ready steady cook.

That's the thing, he lulled everyone in with his 'matey' presenting style and motorsports fans being largely social lepars (myself included) took him in under our wings as 'one of us'

So when it turns out it was just a career-advancing manoevre (and why the hell not, hey?) people seem to be 'hurt'.

#527 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 1,854 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:24

I'm not sure what you guys are expecting him to do...

You want him to limit his career and only present F1?
And you think he isn't very good because the BBC gives him other presenting jobs?

I don't understand the hate.

He's one of the BBC's biggest talents at the moment, and he's doing a great job, it's no surprise that they want to use him all over the place.

#528 Haribo

Haribo

• 703 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:25

That's the thing, he lulled everyone in with his 'matey' presenting style and motorsports fans being largely social lepars (myself included) took him in under our wings as 'one of us'

So when it turns out it was just a career-advancing manoevre (and why the hell not, hey?) people seem to be 'hurt'.

That's a bit harsh isn't it :lol: I have at least two friends and don't live in my Mum's basement!

#529 Risil

Risil

• 12,211 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:44

Mandzipop has actually misrepresented what was said, Chris. What Damon said was that Aintree was "the first purpose-built Grand Prix track in Britain". Certainly true in the post-war period, although you could perhaps make a case for one or more of the original Donington Park layouts, while still bearing in mind that it never hosted a British Grand Prix. Brooklands did host British Grands Prix twenty years after it was built, but I don't think anyone would argue that chicanes created with a few piles of sand constitute "building a circuit". Ian Titchmarsh was involved in the film, so I'm pretty sure it would have been him who suggested the wording to Damon.

So to get this clear, the interpretation we're using is "first British race track built for the express purpose of hosting Grand Prix events"? In these days of single-use Tilke tracks, that's not an impertinent distinction...

A little strange to think that the circuit is still used for motor racing -- there's even an infobox on Wikipedia that parades its self-contradiction:

Closed: 1964 (Grand Prix full circuit only)

Then it wasn't closed, was it. Being left behind by the onward march of God's chosen category is not the same thing.

#530 Peat

Peat

• 1,140 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:47

That's a bit harsh isn't it :lol: I have at least two friends and don't live in my Mum's basement!

:p

#531 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 397 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 13:07

So to get this clear, the interpretation we're using is "first British race track built for the express purpose of hosting Grand Prix events"? In these days of single-use Tilke tracks, that's not an impertinent distinction...

Aintree was the first circuit originally constructed for use as a racing circuit. All the others at that stage were converted from something else.

Donnington was a set of roads from which a layout was used for racing (and converted permanently), Goodwood was the perimeter road of an airport, many more (Silverstone, Snetterton etc) was converted from runways.

Aintree was designed from the ground up to be a motor racing circuit.

#532 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,846 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 13:11

Aintree was the first circuit originally constructed for use as a racing circuit. All the others at that stage were converted from something else.

Donnington was a set of roads from which a layout was used for racing (and converted permanently), Goodwood was the perimeter road of an airport, many more (Silverstone, Snetterton etc) was converted from runways.

And we are back to Brooklands.

#533 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,286 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 13:12

I guess 100+ years of being a horse race course doesn't count - Aintree used the existing infrastructure from that making it possible to have grandstands available

#534 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,381 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 13:40

But Brooklands was not designed as a Grand Prix circuit. The Grand Prix was run on closed public roads in France.

Or you could argue for Cadwell Park, which was opened for bikes in 1934. Hell, you could even add Oliver's Mount (1946), although at least part of that may have been on existing pathways or roads. Or Brands Hatch, where there were grasstrack bike races pre-war.

However, the point made in the programme was that Aintree was the first British circuit designed and built specifically for Grand Prix racing. Without diving into various books, I think I'm right in saying that all the feature races run at the Aintree GP circuit were for F1 or F2. The Club Circuit is a whole different question.

#535 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,846 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 13:47

But Brooklands was not designed as a Grand Prix circuit. The Grand Prix was run on closed public roads in France.

Or you could argue for Cadwell Park, which was opened for bikes in 1934. Hell, you could even add Oliver's Mount (1946), although at least part of that may have been on existing pathways or roads. Or Brands Hatch, where there were grasstrack bike races pre-war.

However, the point made in the programme was that Aintree was the first British circuit designed and built specifically for Grand Prix racing. Without diving into various books, I think I'm right in saying that all the feature races run at the Aintree GP circuit were for F1 or F2. The Club Circuit is a whole different question.

I agree. It was designed as a racing circuit and that was what I replied to in the post quoted.

#536 Risil

Risil

• 12,211 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 13:47

Fine distinctions indeed. :cool:

#537 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 397 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 13:49

Then I don't know what they were on about on Sky :)

#538 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,350 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 13:56

Hmm..

"Racecourse development

For the most part, races were run over a lengthy circuit of closed public roads, not purpose-built private tracks. This was true of the Le Mans circuit of the 1906 Grand Prix, as well as the Targa Florio (run on 93 miles (150 km) of Sicilian roads), the 75 miles (121 km) German Kaiserpreis circuit in the Taunus mountains, and the French circuit at Dieppe (a mere 48 miles (77 km)), used for the 1907 Grand Prix. The exceptions were the steeply banked egg-shaped near oval of Brooklands in England, completed in 1907, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, first used in 1909 with the first Indianapolis 500-Mile Race in 1911, and the Autodromo Nazionale Monza, in Italy, opened in 1922."

http://en.wikipedia....ix_motor_racing

#539 Risil

Risil

• 12,211 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 14:22

However, the point made in the programme was that Aintree was the first British circuit designed and built specifically for Grand Prix racing. Without diving into various books, I think I'm right in saying that all the feature races run at the Aintree GP circuit were for F1 or F2.

By the same token, could we claim that the Circuit of the Americas in Austin is [will be -- touch wood] the first purpose-built Grand Prix track in the United States? Like Brooklands, circuits like Riverside, Watkins Glen and Indianapolis had been running races for years, outside of French auspices, before the Grand Prix circus came to town.

Advertisement

#540 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,381 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 14:30

By the same token, could we claim that the Circuit of the Americas in Austin is [will be -- touch wood] the first purpose-built Grand Prix track in the United States?

Nope.

Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas, 1981-82. Admittedly they took it down every year, but it was specifically designed as a GP circuit. Or if you want to go back further, Roosevelt Raceway. :wave:

Edited by Vitesse2, 09 July 2012 - 14:31.

#541 Risil

Risil

• 12,211 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 14:57

Nope.

Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas, 1981-82. Admittedly they took it down every year, but it was specifically designed as a GP circuit. Or if you want to go back further, Roosevelt Raceway. :wave:

Oops, forgot about Roosevelt Raceway. You're dead right. I'd be inclined to quibble about classifying Caesar's Palace as a purpose-built circuit, but for our purposes that would be irrelevant. ;)

#542 FastestSector

FastestSector

• 80 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 14:58

Another reason BBC is better than Sky: You don't get sexy flirting like this on Sky

;)

#543 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,350 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 15:01

Another reason BBC is better than Sky: You don't get sexy flirting like this on Sky

;)

Seb :lol:

#544 Peat

Peat

• 1,140 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 15:02

Sexy + Lee McKenzie = syntax error.

#545 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 187 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 15:20

Not BBC or Sky related per se, but FOM do me a favour please...

When I'm sitting in the p1ss1ng rain for 97 minutes waiting for the qualifying session I paid to see get restarted, don't show me pictures of smiling corporate guests enjoying a free lunch on their free ticket in a dry hospitality suite with people who look like they couldn't identify a grand prix car if it hit them... thanks.

Ah, that was a rant I've been looking forward to!

Incidentally, did anyone notice that obese guy in the black shirt and beige trousers who followed Jake, Eddie and DC after the race yesterday? He was trying to get himself into every shot and seemed to be goading the crowd. It's not the first time he's done it either, I'm sure he did it back at Silverstone in 08...

#546 stewie

stewie

• 302 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 15:21

Cheeky Seb :-) not a fan of him in the car, but out of it he's a funny man! And Lee is game for a laugh...

#547 Peat

Peat

• 1,140 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 15:26

Incidentally, did anyone notice that obese guy in the black shirt and beige trousers who followed Jake, Eddie and DC after the race yesterday? He was trying to get himself into every shot and seemed to be goading the crowd. It's not the first time he's done it either, I'm sure he did it back at Silverstone in 08...

That's something that razzes me off generally. A gaggle of mongs following around a smaller group of mongs in the bleak hope of being 'on da telebox'. It looked like a scene from Dawn of the Dead (If the dead all wore Mclaren hats).

#548 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 16:26

;)

Well he ain't gonna flirt with Simon Lazenby is he?

#549 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 336 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 17:05

Regardless, the constant digs at Sky from Jake look silly and pretty unprofessional. People don't watch the BBC so they can see him.

This person waits till the world feed kicks in at 5 minutes to go, when the commentary team take over, and turns off at the end of the podium when the "controversial" diminutive one and the oversized smug one come back, to actively avoid Jake "it's better than ever on the Beeb, even though half of it is truncated and tape delayed" Humphrey.

I had the misfortune of seeing the BBC's cost cutting measures for F1 meant they could do a "oh so amusing" Top Gear-esque intro yesterday. Oh how my sides were splitting, three pillocks pratting about irrelevently. Smug trios being scriptedly stupid grew tiresome years ago with another over tall and over short bookended threesome..

#550 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,228 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 17:09

Not BBC or Sky related per se, but FOM do me a favour please...

When I'm sitting in the p1ss1ng rain for 97 minutes waiting for the qualifying session I paid to see get restarted, don't show me pictures of smiling corporate guests enjoying a free lunch on their free ticket in a dry hospitality suite with people who look like they couldn't identify a grand prix car if it hit them... thanks.

Ah, that was a rant I've been looking forward to!

There is one fat guy I have seen on the TV (my guess is he is British) whom I've seen in a pink XXXXL Ralph Lauren polo who has stood behind the presenting team at a few races this season and last, constantly on his phone staring at the cameras. Not sure if it is who you mean though.

You have a ticket allowing you to roam around the paddock, a dream for many of us, and all yuo care about is being in the background of a TV shot. Sad, sad man.