Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#551 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 17:23

There is one fat guy I have seen on the TV (my guess is he is British) whom I've seen in a pink XXXXL Ralph Lauren polo who has stood behind the presenting team at a few races this season and last, constantly on his phone staring at the cameras. Not sure if it is who you mean though.

You have a ticket allowing you to roam around the paddock, a dream for many of us, and all yuo care about is being in the background of a TV shot. Sad, sad man.

How dare you stereotype someone who's fat as being british! i mean, its not like we're the fattest nation in eur............say what?  ;)

Advertisement

#552 johnhen

johnhen

• 61 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 17:41

I'm not sure what you guys are expecting him to do...

You want him to limit his career and only present F1?
And you think he isn't very good because the BBC gives him other presenting jobs?

I don't understand the hate.

He's one of the BBC's biggest talents at the moment, and he's doing a great job, it's no surprise that they want to use him all over the place.

He's needs to stop being so smug. To be fair a lot of people can see it and it's annoying. Or maybe it's just his personality.

Secondaly, he's needs to stop big upping The BBC at every given moment. He's always on about viewing figures, etc. He's such a brown nose.

These things make him unlikeable and make people who have to choice switch to sky.

#553 johnhen

johnhen

• 61 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 18:01

Sexy + Lee McKenzie = syntax error.

Indeed.

Each to their own and all that, but Pinky is a lot hotter IMO. Lee is just Lee.

#554 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,737 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 18:03

Indeed.

Each to their own indeed, I like Lee because she is pretty and is just a normal woman with a lovely figure IMO. She knows her F1 inside out too and is my perfect woman I think.. :p

#555 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 194 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 18:56

There is one fat guy I have seen on the TV (my guess is he is British) whom I've seen in a pink XXXXL Ralph Lauren polo who has stood behind the presenting team at a few races this season and last, constantly on his phone staring at the cameras. Not sure if it is who you mean though.

You have a ticket allowing you to roam around the paddock, a dream for many of us, and all yuo care about is being in the background of a TV shot. Sad, sad man.

Sounds like him, yesterday he was on his phone, chatting up the pretty young things then best of all when Jake, Eddie and DC put their backs to the tyre barrier so he couldn't keep finding his way into shot, he climbed up onto and kind of 'lolled' behind them for a bit, then started having a go at the crowd...

Here's our star gatecrashing Christian Horner

Posted Image

Hanging around on the tyres behind them

Posted Image

Space invading Eddie and Frankie Dettori in a frankly terrifying position

Posted Image

Following our heroes down the pitlane

Posted Image

He's done it before too, am convinced at a British GP gridwalk with Brundle... maybe 2006? The biggest question is WHO IS HE?!

#556 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 18:59

Fat Bastard from Austin Powers.

#557 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 194 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 19:01

He's a little bit Peter Griffin too...

#558 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,868 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 19:08

Indeed.

Couldn't disagree more. Pinky has a good body but the more I look at her, the more I see Fernando Torres!

And I did previously say on here that Pinky was hot but now it's from the neck down only :lol:

grandmastashi - it isn't the same guy I was talking about mate!

#559 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 194 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 19:09

Couldn't disagree more. Pinky has a good body but the more I look at her, the more I see Fernando Torres!

And I did previously say on here that Pinky was hot but now it's from the neck down only :lol:

Damn - the mystery continues!

Advertisement

#560 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 19:12

I think I may know who you are on about? I remember him from last year....hmmm

#561 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,868 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 19:14

I think I may know who you are on about? I remember him from last year....hmmm

I'm sure he was around last year too. Fat, short hair, relatively tall and often wearing a polo shirt and shorts. Always standing right behind the team of pundits on his phone!

I can't remember which GPs I saw him at so can't even begin to look for pictures but he has defo been at two or three and I really hope he never comes back!

#562 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 194 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 19:14

Did anyone with Sky seem him pull the same stunt?

#563 xAtarigeekx

xAtarigeekx

• 573 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 19:25

This is turning into a thread like the one at PF1 once called (something like) "WHO IS THIS ANNOYING FAT GUY?" It went for pages and pages with pictures of him from various places in the paddock. I think that particular rotund individual turned out to be a DJ or something

Edited by xAtarigeekx, 09 July 2012 - 19:26.

#564 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,257 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 19:47

This is turning into a thread like the one at PF1 once called (something like) "WHO IS THIS ANNOYING FAT GUY?" It went for pages and pages with pictures of him from various places in the paddock. I think that particular rotund individual turned out to be a DJ or something

Ah DJ fat annoying bastard! Somewhere round here there's a thread about the same guy :lol:

#565 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,223 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 19:53

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=117279

#566 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,791 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 22:37

I just watched the McLaren animated feature on YouTube and I thought it was very entertaining, better than I was expecting. Even if the premise was familiar, there were lots of humorous asides and it was good to see the team not being afraid to laugh at itself.

#567 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:24

F1 Racing are conducting a small survey on this year's coverage: http://links.em.f1ra...i...p;mt=1&rt=1

Edited by dank, 11 July 2012 - 10:25.

#568 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:33

someone tell crofty to stop saying its lights out and away we go at the start please , let brundle d the start or better shut up in the first 10 seconds or so

#569 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,358 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:15

someone tell crofty to stop saying its lights out and away we go at the start please , let brundle d the start or better shut up in the first 10 seconds or so

You don't recall Martin's increasingly clichéd "look but never stare" from last year, then? I think he said it at just about every race. Everybody needs a catch phrase, but I was glad to see the back of that one. He's cut back on saying "mighty" too.

#570 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:51

He's a little bit Peter Griffin too...

Roadhouse!

#571 Peat

Peat

• 1,326 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:06

ha. There's a restaurant on the road opposite the train station in Le Mans called 'Le Road House'. Made me laugh a couple of weeks ago...

#572 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,868 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 16:25

Anybody know if the Sky F1 theme tune is being released as a single?

I've heard it twice on a radio station today.

Quite a nice tune.

#573 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,430 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 16:53

Quite a nice tune.

Amazon sell it: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0054KS9OK

#574 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,088 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 17:00

Quite a nice tune.

It was a long time ago, (remember bbc 2010 closing credits). Plus the theme tune has adjusted lyrics, which in my opinion makes it worse, so hopefully you'll love it, I do :up:

#575 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,615 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 17:19

Another reason BBC is better than Sky: You don't get sexy flirting like this on Sky

;)

Haha, funny. Pinkham's time can't be too far away though! :smoking:

Also I have to say it, the Sky crew is getting better and better with each race. I think Johnny Herbert was the catalyst, because his presence even seems to make Simon seem a little calmer and more focused as well.

I still think that the pundit crew should be rearranged though. Johnny absolutely must stay because he was clearly made for the role. Simon could be replaced with Georgie since she's being wasted at the moment, and Damon? I guess he could stay. He's not a bad guy and I like his opinions and views, but he comes across as being very plain and robotic most of the the time. Damon definitely opened up quite a lot throughout the British GP weekend though, so props to him for that. :up:

Edited by UPRC, 12 July 2012 - 17:32.

#576 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,868 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 17:40

Thanks chdphd and Markn93.

Not bothered about buying it, just seemed odd to hear it twice in one day (Clyde1 FM, a Glasgow radio station which usually plays the same stuff every single day)

It is a very nice tune.

#577 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,818 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 19:22

You don't recall Martin's increasingly clichéd "look but never stare" from last year, then? I think he said it at just about every race. Everybody needs a catch phrase, but I was glad to see the back of that one. He's cut back on saying "mighty" too.

I think that is the one he/she wants back.
I liked that quite well actually. It was the same thing I learned.

#578 amppatel

amppatel

• 490 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:49

For those who don't have Sky Sports F1 and want to try it for free (and all the other sky sports channels) SKY is doing a free weekend from the 20 - 22 July so you can watch the next GP for free on SSF1 (works with Virgin too!):

Free weekend
Just tune-in to sample all the live action of Sky Sports
Sample all the Sky Sports channels on the weekend of July 20-22.

With the free weekend, Sky Sports are giving non-Sky Sports customers a whole weekend of world-class sport for free.

From 6am on Friday July 20 to just before midnight on Sunday 22, even if you don't have a Sky Sports subscription you could watch all the sporting action on all six Sky Sports channels including Sky Sports F1*

And for those of you who have a Sky + HD box and a HD Ready TV, you can feast your eyes on all the weekend's action by sampling in stunning HD on Sky Sports HD1, HD2, HD3 & HD4 as well as Sky Sports News HD and Sky Sports F1 HD*.
So what's on?

There's lots of world class sport packed across all six Sky Sports channels

Leading the billing is the Santander German Prix from Hockenheim, showing on Sky Sports F1 HD* or Sky Sports F1*. We'll be showing live coverage of all the practice sessions, qualifying as well as uninterrupted coverage of the race live, including Martin Brundle's gridwalk. Coverage starts with Practice 1 at 0845am on Friday 20 July and culminating with the red lights going off at 1300pm on Sunday 22.

If you're a cricket fan, to catch live coverage of the 1st Test between England and South Africa, just tune in to Sky Sports HD 1 or Sky Sports 1 and with the press of a button you'll be taken to The Oval to watch action from day 2, 3 and 4 .

Other great events on Sky Sports 1 and HD 1 include live Stobart Super League with Catalan Dragons taking on St. Helens (1930pm), and World Matchplay Darts from Blackpool.

If you're more of a rugby union fan, we'll be showing a top class Super 15 game on Sky Sports HD 2 and Sky Sports 2 starting at 0830am on Saturday July 21. On the same channel between July 20 - 22 there's a treat for any equestrian fan with the Royal International Horse Show from Hickstead.

If you follow golf then you'll want to relax and immerse yourself in US PGA Tour Golf with the True South Classic on Sky Sports HD 3 and Sky Sports 3, showing every day during the Sky Sports Free Weekend.

If the Santander German Prix isn't enough to get your fix of motorsport then we've got Indy Racing League from the States on July 22 on Sky Sports HD 4 and Sky Sports 4 from the Streets of Edmonton race.
So how will it work?

If you are a Sky or Virgin Media customer, all you have to do is simply turn to the Sky Sports Channel of your choice and enjoy! For any other platform, please contact your provider.
Sky Go

Don't worry if you've already made plans for that weekend; there's no need to pass up this opportunity.

All Sky TV customers can get the free Sky Go app and make this sporting feast truly mobile. You can watch on your iPad, iPhone, laptop, Xbox 360 or on selected Android smartphones. Just sign in with your Sky ID and you can enjoy all of the Sky Sports Channels wherever you like. Now that's sporting!

For more information visit Sky Go

* Sky Sports F1 channel only available to Sky TV customers and Virgin Media customers in the UK

* Sky Sports in high definition: Sky Sports on Sky includes Sky Sports HD1, HD2, HD3, HD4, Sky Sports News HD and Sky Sports F1 HD. HD pack is not required to sample in HD. Non-HD pack customers can watch HD variants on channel 408 (Sky Sports HD1), 409 (Sky Sports HD2), 418 (Sky Sports HD3), 454 (Sky Sports HD4) and 455 (Sky Sports News HD). Sky Sports on Virgin Media only includes Sky Sports HD1 and HD2.

* Available to Sky TV and Virgin Media customers. Other platforms contact your provider.

* Free Sky Sports on Sky Go for Sky TV customers with an entertainment package on 20-22 July. Sky Go in standard definition only and compatible wifi/3G device and registration required.

#579 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:10

Article on the BBC - Sky deal in the Telegraph today

http://www.telegraph...l-with-Sky.html

Advertisement

#580 smitten

smitten

• 1,447 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:30

Article on the BBC - Sky deal in the Telegraph today

http://www.telegraph...l-with-Sky.html

Otherwise known as how to lie with statistics :rotfl:

Across the eight Grands Prix which have taken place so far this year, the BBC’s total audience of viewers watching at least 15 minutes has fallen 20.5% to 20.2m which is understandable given that it lost half of the live races. In contrast, F1 has gained as it is understood that 5.5m watched at least 15 minutes of Sky’s broadcasts of the first eight races and this offset the BBC’s drop. In fact, the total audience for the race in Valencia was 8% up on 2011.

Where to begin with the problems with these statements. If you crunch the numbers, viewing figures are "up" by 300k, and it completely ignores the fact that a number of Sky customers will also have watched the BBC at some point.

#581 windtravels

windtravels

• 901 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:03

This camera angle is amazing - better than the helmet cams we have seen tested in races this season. would love to see it implemented.

http://youtu.be/Swv-mAlWSLE?t=12m17s

#582 smitten

smitten

• 1,447 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:04

This camera angle is amazing - better than the helmet cams we have seen tested in races this season. would love to see it implemented.

Did you actually read how it was done? :lol:

#583 windtravels

windtravels

• 901 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:41

Did you actually read how it was done? :lol:

not til now. hahah - ok thats pretty ridiculous.

#584 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,868 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:49

Where to begin with the problems with these statements. If you crunch the numbers, viewing figures are "up" by 300k, and it completely ignores the fact that a number of Sky customers will also have watched the BBC at some point.

Right-wing rags don't do accuracy when it comes to their hated BBC!

#585 pdac

pdac

• 916 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 16:07

Nor Christian Sylt when it comes to backing Bernie.

#586 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,396 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 16:37

Watch some of the BBC's economic coverage... a bastion of accuracy... not. With a straight face today a reporter described the American economy as 'picking up well' because lack of cuts. I mean, seriously? They actually pay these people.

All the same. At least right-wing/left-wing rags admit their bias unlike the Beeb.

#587 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,536 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 16:47

The di Grassi camera isn't at eye level. It's much higher, but not quite top of the helmet. It's not even with the mirrors for a start, something his Barcelona video had.

#588 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 17:23

Yeah, quite liked the Barcelona one. It seemed more at eye level and you could see much more.

#589 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:41

For those who don't have Sky Sports F1 and want to try it for free (and all the other sky sports channels) SKY is doing a free weekend from the 20 - 22 July so you can watch the next GP for free on SSF1 (works with Virgin too!):

........and so it begins...............

#590 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:44

It's hilarious. As if Sky's pitiful few hundred thousand are offsetting the loss of a couple of million viewers from the BBC - per race. The net result is that less people are watching Formula 1 in the UK.

#591 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,450 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:45

........and so it begins...............

What begins?

It's nothing new, Sky have being doing this for years.

#592 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,296 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 15:38

http://youtu.be/Swv-mAlWSLE?t=12m17s

That's cool to see, but the setup he had to get those shots was quiet ridiculous. I'm surprised Pirelli even let him out on track with it.

#593 F1EC

F1EC

• 864 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 23:04

He's needs to stop being so smug. To be fair a lot of people can see it and it's annoying. Or maybe it's just his personality.

Secondaly, he's needs to stop big upping The BBC at every given moment. He's always on about viewing figures, etc. He's such a brown nose.

These things make him unlikeable and make people who have to choice switch to sky.

Who are these people you speak of?

#594 pingualoty

pingualoty

• 239 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:22

It's not F1 but here is a way which doesnt hurt the drivers view at all and is only 1 or 2mm above eye level: Close Racing with the Pivothead HD Camera

Using this: Posted Image

#595 johnhen

johnhen

• 61 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:19

Who are these people you speak of?

Me for one. I'm sure there are others on this board who feel the same.

#596 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,391 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:08

Best PC EVER..Love the audio bullies @22:30
Hysterical..
Jp

#597 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,737 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:20

It's hilarious. As if Sky's pitiful few hundred thousand are offsetting the loss of a couple of million viewers from the BBC - per race. The net result is that less people are watching Formula 1 in the UK.

That's the realism here but viewing figures aren't going to have any bearing on the final outcome sadly. The teams are getting an extra 10 million quid so a couple of million viewers not watching and seeing the sponsors names is nothing.

#598 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:44

Best PC EVER..Love the audio bullies @22:30
Hysterical..
Jp

I didn't understand what was happening.

#599 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,799 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:54

Waiting for the complaints about the new pitlane reporter this weekend...

Advertisement

#600 xAtarigeekx

xAtarigeekx

• 573 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:54

Temporary replacement Natalie already seems better than Natalie is usually.