Posted 21 July 2012 - 19:34

Inside F1: http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/18940469

BBC Quali highlights: http://www.bbc.co.uk...ing_Highlights/

Advertisement

#652 BRG

BRG

• 11,610 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 20:06

Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Media seems to have given me Sky Sports this weekend so I have sampled the Sky F1 coverage for teh first time. The qualifying coverage was fine - hard to tell the difference from teh Beeb to be honest, although Hill/Herbert were less annoying than Eddie and David.

But the GP3 commentator was irritating as he ranted about the safety car laps (with some reason to be fair) but contributed little else. Watched the GP2 race this evening. There was no commentary at all - no apologies or screen announcement at all, just 38 laps of car noises. This seems to me to little short of total incompetence by Sky - even the most crap TV station can usually realise after a few minutes that something is wrong, but Sky didn't notice for an hour, so any initial good impressions are now destroyed. I am unlikely to want to pay for that sort of indifference.

#653 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,377 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 20:09

Sky runs the GP2 and GP3 'world feed' which has its own English commentary. Though when I watched GP2 live on Sky it had voices so dunno what went wrong when you watched the replay.

#654 bongofury

bongofury

• 57 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 20:36

I was out all day so was forced into watching highlights on the BBC after I got home (forgot to record Sky coverage). I guess Jake is living his Olympic dream so has abandoned F1, but McKenzie did OK, but I don't think the commentary was up to much.

#655 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,288 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 20:38

Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Media seems to have given me Sky Sports this weekend so I have sampled the Sky F1 coverage for teh first time. The qualifying coverage was fine - hard to tell the difference from teh Beeb to be honest, although Hill/Herbert were less annoying than Eddie and David.

But the GP3 commentator was irritating as he ranted about the safety car laps (with some reason to be fair) but contributed little else. Watched the GP2 race this evening. There was no commentary at all - no apologies or screen announcement at all, just 38 laps of car noises. This seems to me to little short of total incompetence by Sky - even the most crap TV station can usually realise after a few minutes that something is wrong, but Sky didn't notice for an hour, so any initial good impressions are now destroyed. I am unlikely to want to pay for that sort of indifference.

I watched the GP2 replay on Sky and it definitely had commentary. So the problem would appear to me to be something to do with Beardievision. And as Ross says, the commentary is from the GP2 world feed, with no input from Sky or FOM - apart from the fact that they use the same cameras.

#656 BRG

BRG

• 11,610 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 20:39

Sky runs the GP2 and GP3 'world feed' which has its own English commentary. Though when I watched GP2 live on Sky it had voices so dunno what went wrong when you watched the replay.

Nor do I, but you would think that someone back at Sky Central might have noticed before the end of the show. Even Eurosport manage that, and they are run by one man and a dog.

#657 EVO2

EVO2

• 754 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 20:42

" I suppose I'll wait for the highlights on BBC then".

No need to wait !

Go to B & Q and buy a £29.95 Ross satellite kit tomorrow morning.
It has everything you need including a box, ground and wall bracket for the dish so you can put it almost anywhere. For Hockenheim just set it on the ground and you can have it up and running before the race starts.

Align it to the Astra 1 satellite at 19.2 degrees using a free iPhone/iPad App and in less than 10 minutes you will have 300+ new channels. The only one we're really interested in is German TV channel 206 - it's RTL and it broadcasts qualifying and every race uninterupted and it's live, legal and it's free ! Turn down the TV sound and listen to the Radio 5 Live commentary.

Can't do anything about the dreadful Legard in qually but at least you get James Allen for the race !

#658 windtravels

windtravels

• 901 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 21:00

No need to wait !

It has everything you need including a box, ground and wall bracket for the dish so you can put it almost anywhere. For Hockenheim just set it on the ground and you can have it up and running before the race starts.

Align it to the Astra 1 satellite at 19.2 degrees using a free iPhone/iPad App and in less than 10 minutes you will have 300+ new channels. The only one we're really interested in is German TV channel 206 - it's RTL and it broadcasts qualifying and every race with many v annoying partial and full screen adverts throughout but it's live, legal and it's free ! Turn down the TV sound and listen to the Radio 5 Live commentary.

Can't do anything about the dreadful Legard in qually but at least you get James Allen for the race !

ftfy.

#659 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,421 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 21:05

I had commentary on GP2 and GP3 on Virgin Media...

Advertisement

#660 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 714 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 21:47

Nor do I, but you would think that someone back at Sky Central might have noticed before the end of the show. Even Eurosport manage that, and they are run by one man and a dog.

I watched the replay and there was commentary, seems like it was just you.

#661 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 21:52

Maybe the wrong surround setting was used?

Sometimes I kill the center channel on purpose, mainly when watching Nascar when I can't take anymore of the stupid commentary. What's left is mostly engine/crowd sounds...

#662 xAtarigeekx

xAtarigeekx

• 573 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 21:59

But the GP3 commentator was irritating as he ranted about the safety car laps (with some reason to be fair) but contributed little else.

The GP2 and GP3 commentator is Will Buxton, SPEED's F1 pitlane reporter. He does the world feed of GP2 and GP3 for FOM so nothing to do with Sky.

Edited by xAtarigeekx, 21 July 2012 - 22:01.

#663 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,917 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 22:06

I had commentary on both races on Sky, so either it was specific to you, or it was a general VM problem.

#664 JV97

JV97

• 199 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 22:45

No need to wait !

Align it to the Astra 1 satellite at 19.2 degrees using a free iPhone/iPad App and in less than 10 minutes you will have 300+ new channels. The only one we're really interested in is German TV channel 206 - it's RTL and it broadcasts qualifying and every race uninterupted and it's live, legal and it's free ! Turn down the TV sound and listen to the Radio 5 Live commentary.

Your tone suggests you think that's a good thing :confused:

#665 F1EC

F1EC

• 864 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:20

Good heavens! Just watching Sky at a friends house, and it's mind-numbingly, slit-my-wrists-now dull. Is this what it's normally like?

eta: to explain further, I was watching the interview with JB. Way too long. In the lead-up to a race I want to know what's going on at the track. Interviews should be short and snappy.

eta: argh. They still have that annoying repetitive music in the background. My eardrums are bleeding. My conclusion so far, an hour or so before the race, is that I could watch the race itself on Sky but not the lead-up.

Edited by F1EC, 22 July 2012 - 10:43.

#666 PEW

PEW

• 1,067 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:38

Good heavens! Just watching Sky at a friends house, and it's mind-numbingly, slit-my-wrists-now dull. Is this what it's normally like?

eta: to explain further, I was watching the interview with JB. Way too long. In the lead-up to a race I want to know what's going on at the track. Interviews should be short and snappy.

LOL That was a filler to hide the fact that they don't have Porsche coverage

#667 F1EC

F1EC

• 864 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:43

LOL That was a filler to hide the fact that they don't have Porsche coverage

Ah. Thanks for that.

#668 Les

Les

• 2,069 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:07

The McLaren animation thing was surprisingly good (I didn't really pay it any attention at Silverstone!). 'Lewis your beard has slipped' :rotfl:

#669 Les

Les

• 2,069 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:09

Also the James Hunt thing was amazing, sadly I've not caught any of the Nigel Roebuck series so far. I hope Sky can repeat them later.

#670 Pingu Pi

Pingu Pi

• 1,690 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:10

The McLaren animation thing was surprisingly good (I didn't really pay it any attention at Silverstone!). 'Lewis your beard has slipped' :rotfl:

Even as a McLaren fan I enjoyed that more than I expected, light hearted fun.

#671 Gilles12

Gilles12

• 853 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:34

Tuned in to the Sky coverage for the first time courtesy of Virgin

I started at 12:10 UT

It's now 20 mins later and all I've seen is one interview with LH and SV, 5 mins of pointless basketball and two sets of ads

I thought Brundle said he joined SKY for the technical coverage opportunities?

Isn't there an engine mapping issue going on right now (12:33 UT)?

pfff

Here's hoping the race coverage is better...

Doubt I'll ever up paying for this carp

#672 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,214 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:39

Sky started the programme with the engine mapping issue, at 11:30. It's not their fault you tuned in 40 minutes late.

#673 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,447 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:41

I really despise the way some drivers make brundle (and everyone watching) wait when it's not necesary. Fair enough if in a conversation but if standing there doing nothing makes them look like complete princesses :down:

#674 xAtarigeekx

xAtarigeekx

• 573 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:42

It's now 20 mins later and all I've seen is one interview with LH and SV, 5 mins of pointless basketball and two sets of ads

pfff

Any different to the BBC having Jake playing F1 2010 or whatever with Hamilton and his brother?

Sky have an hour and a half of build up, they have the time to do things like that. Did you see the piece on James Hunt? It was brilliant.

And they discussed the engine mapping issue, in detail, until it was resolved!

Edited by xAtarigeekx, 22 July 2012 - 11:43.

#675 natureboy

natureboy

• 73 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:43

pfff

Yesterday he talked about the ECU (trip to Mclaren Electronic Systems) and last race he talked about the start procedures with a 2010 Ferrari.

#676 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:45

"Nico...Nico, any chance for a quickie?"

#677 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:47

Jesus, that makes EJ look sensible.

#678 natureboy

natureboy

• 73 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:48

Nico and quickie :lol:

Brundle and Tanya :lol: :lol:

#679 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,706 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:53

An hours build up, no ads, a couple of segments and short snappy interviews with the top drivers is all you need.

Advertisement

#680 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:55

An hours build up, no ads, a couple of segments and short snappy interviews with the top drivers is all you need.

But with Sky you can have even more! :p

#681 EVO2

EVO2

• 754 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:58

Your tone suggests you think that's a good thing :confused:

It's certainly better than any of the alternatives :

1. Miss the race
2. Have Legard do the commentary
3. Pay Sky £45 per month just to watch 12 races.

#682 swerved

swerved

• 3,622 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:59

Croft talking shite already, it wasn't Raikkonen talking about his tyres it was his engineer.

#683 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,375 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:00

If the BBC DC and EJ farting into the mic you#d say that's 'all you need'.

#684 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,395 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:08

Watching all races live is all I need. The build up etc. is a bonus.

#685 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,789 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 13:50

Regarding the world feed and the new podium interviews, they really need someone consistent and trained at interviewing to ask the questions. Lauda is a legend but that was really disappointing and ameatur looking. Why bother remaking the podiums and adding shiny confetti and glamming it all up then having such useless interviews...

It brings the fans closer, but closer to something second rate.

#686 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,789 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 13:51

Croft talking shite already, it wasn't Raikkonen talking about his tyres it was his engineer.

I am sure they were kidding then...

#687 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 14:03

I much prefer the old proper interviews with the pots of fruit juice and real questions

Edited by Slowinfastout, 22 July 2012 - 14:03.

#688 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,789 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 14:15

Haha Damon Hill sticking it to Christian Horner nicely!

#689 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,802 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 16:16

Regarding the world feed and the new podium interviews, they really need someone consistent and trained at interviewing to ask the questions. Lauda is a legend but that was really disappointing and ameatur looking. Why bother remaking the podiums and adding shiny confetti and glamming it all up then having such useless interviews...

It brings the fans closer, but closer to something second rate.

They have tried to fix something that wasn't broken. It was rubbish at Silverstone and the same here.

The actual podium itself looks like something from a PS3 game now.

#690 PEW

PEW

• 1,067 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 16:31

Amazing the things we complain about! My whinge is that they used Heidelberg for the scene setting rather than the more mundane Hockenheim - think they are dishonest t5o do this.

#691 Gilles12

Gilles12

• 853 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 16:41

Yesterday he talked about the ECU (trip to Mclaren Electronic Systems) and last race he talked about the start procedures with a 2010 Ferrari.

My mistake

I tuned in too late

#692 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 16:43

I much prefer the old proper interviews with the pots of fruit juice and real questions

Same, it just feels so awkward watching them on the podium.

Id like a standard question answerer if they are going to do it.

#693 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 16:44

This is what matters :up:

My whinge is that they used Heidelberg for the scene setting rather than the more mundane Hockenheim - think they are dishonest t5o do this.

lol I noticed that too
cheaters

:cool:

#694 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:31

I haven't really watched the build up since 2010, don't care for it any more either. Nowadays I get annoyed just watching the formation lap too, just show me the damned lights! No patience whatsoever for me.

#695 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 193 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:20

Lazenby playing basketball with his casual shirt tucked in was one of the most uncomfortable bits of television i've seen in a while, especially with his 'street speak' to Seb.

#696 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,802 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:21

Lazenby playing basketball with his casual shirt tucked in was one of the most uncomfortable bits of television i've seen in a while, especially with his 'street speak' to Seb.

Had to laugh at Seb's 'Campbell condensed soup' t-shirt during that feature!

#697 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 193 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:22

Had to laugh at Seb's 'Campbell condensed soup' t-shirt during that feature!

Only redeeming feature of that particular car crash!

#698 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,802 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:28

Wasn't a big fan of Georgie earlier in the season but the one good thing about this 'sky pad' is the exceptional side-on view you get of her :up:

#699 xAtarigeekx

xAtarigeekx

• 573 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:38

Wasn't a big fan of Georgie earlier in the season but the one good thing about this 'sky pad' is the exceptional side-on view you get of her :up:

DAT CAMERA ANGLE

Advertisement

#700 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,790 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:55

Lazenby's still so awkward to watch when he presents the guy needs to loosen up a bit.