Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#701 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,801 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:03

If the BBC DC and EJ farting into the mic you#d say that's 'all you need'.

Classy response and rather childish I think you'll agree in hindsight.

Watching all races live is all I need. The build up etc. is a bonus.

Well I am not in the same boat as you I'm afraid. I don't have enough free Sundays to watch them completely live so full coverage would be a bonus, but a delay doesn't bother me in the slightest. With the weather we've had today being taken into consideration, I wouldn't have changed missing the GP for anything. We don't get great summers here in recent years so I make the most of my weekends and F1 takes a back seat until the evenings. :)

Can't fault the highlights on the Beeb today either. Didn't feel like it was condensed at all, for me anyway. I loved the fact the build up was short and sweet with a few interviews and no long discussions wasting time to fill it up. Short and snappy and straight into the action which suited me today. The race was dull as hell though, but neither channel could help that.

Edited by tifosiMac, 22 July 2012 - 19:04.

Advertisement

#702 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,106 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:26

:lol: at the BBC guy (forgot his name) who, when Alonso came in for his second stop, said, "Alonso, renowned for being accurate on his marks".

Edited by Markn93, 22 July 2012 - 19:26.

#703 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,954 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 23:20

I am enjoying McLarens cartoon quite a lot. 'James Hunts jockstrap' *woman faints :rotfl:

Didn't know they had it in them!

#704 pingualoty

pingualoty

• 239 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 23:56

I am enjoying McLarens cartoon quite a lot. 'James Hunts jockstrap' *woman faints :rotfl:

Ye that sure was unexpected, but nice to see Mclaren having a laugh.

#705 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,204 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 00:03

I agree, that was brilliant. I wouldn't be shocked if other teams started to follow suit.

#706 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,875 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 00:36

Well, HRT had "HRToons" last year, so it's not like McLaren was the first.
Of course, HRT had cheaper, and much worse production. But still! :p

#707 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 3,032 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:12

Watched my first SKY race and I thought it was fine. I'm only interested in the race and some post race discussion, but what makes it so much fun is the race control - brilliant!!!
Oh, and hearing Brundle again was good. Crofty was okay, but made some noticeable errors. Overall I was quite happy. :up:

#708 FredF1

FredF1

• 1,995 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:39

Watched my first SKY race and I thought it was fine. I'm only interested in the race and some post race discussion, but what makes it so much fun is the race control - brilliant!!!
Oh, and hearing Brundle again was good. Crofty was okay, but made some noticeable errors. Overall I was quite happy. :up:

I saw a small bit of it at my parents as they have access to SkyF1 and I don't. I was very impressed with the picture quality as my cable version of BBC and Setanta is very grainy by comparison.

#709 Hamilton100000

Hamilton100000

• 41 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:50

has anyone had problems with interference on tv channels despite the weather getting better. I had interference for whole of f1 race on sky

#710 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,696 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:06

I'm a bit pissed off that the BBC didn't choose to show the podium ceremony, (not that I could find, at least.) For me the race build up is usually dull, and I'll skip it if not watching live. I always hated the grid walk anyhow.

#711 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,310 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:21

No BBC forum for Germany GP, right?.

#712 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,696 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:30

Yes, just a few lacklustre interviews after the GP.

#713 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,624 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:33

has anyone had problems with interference on tv channels despite the weather getting better. I had interference for whole of f1 race on sky

this may sound daft but is there any trees in direct line of sight of your dish? We've got one outside our house and during the summer (i.e. 'the leafiest time' lol) on windier days we get interruptions on the signal.....not much we can do apart from pay for the dish to be moved, so i spend my days giving the tree withering looks in the hope that it will wither hahaha

#714 rdebourbon

rdebourbon

• 1,353 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:40

Kinda disappointed with Sky TBH.. I missed the live race yesterday, and when I got home last night there was no mention of the full race on the website.. only a 7min highlights package - which has no mention of the RBR controversy or any other post-quali/pre-race news..

For a "dedicated F1 channel" it just doesn't seem right that you can't re-watch an entire race after initial broadcast and can only watch highlights.. They seem to eager to get back to endlessly repeating F1 legends...

#715 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,941 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:51

Kinda disappointed with Sky TBH.. I missed the live race yesterday, and when I got home last night there was no mention of the full race on the website.. only a 7min highlights package - which has no mention of the RBR controversy or any other post-quali/pre-race news..

For a "dedicated F1 channel" it just doesn't seem right that you can't re-watch an entire race after initial broadcast and can only watch highlights.. They seem to eager to get back to endlessly repeating F1 legends...

They do have full race re-runs, but just not on demand.

Perhaps it would be good to add it to their 'Sky anytime' package?

#716 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,618 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 17:07

I thought that Sky did a pretty good job this weekend. The overall coverage is getting better with each race for sure. Johnny Herbert alone makes Sky's coverage loads better. I'd rather have him over any member of the BBC team. The guy really excels in this new role.

Anyone who feels that Sky's coverage was awful this weekend must simply have strange standards. Then again, I watch the Sky coverage without paying a dime because I'm a freeloading Canadian who prefers to torrent BBC and Sky coverage rather than having to endure through TSN's disrespectful coverage of F1. Not paying a dime for the coverage is probably allowing me to view the coverage between the two British channels without any bias. Really, aside from any kind of "I like Presenter A on BBC way more than Presenter B on Sky", they're pretty much equal in terms of what they coverage and to what degree the quality of it is.

#717 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,954 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 17:13

i think especially the value of commentary on the BBC is higher. it took until Felipe massa came into the pits for the sky team to realise what had gone on, but on BBC, Coulthard pointed it out straight away. i'm not sure if BBC commentary is live or if they do the commentary afterwards but there you go.

#718 John Player

John Player

• 455 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 17:14

Wasn't a big fan of Georgie earlier in the season but the one good thing about this 'sky pad' is the exceptional side-on view you get of her :up:

That view is amazing. I often find it hard to concentrate on what is going on the screen :lol:

#719 JV97

JV97

• 199 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 18:11

Watched both this weekend (BBC highlights).

Really wish Sky had Ben Edwards instead of that bumbling, generic Croft with his awful 'banter', not just making mistakes but totally missing things and his often failing analysis and guesstimations

Advertisement

#720 pingualoty

pingualoty

• 239 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 19:07

i think especially the value of commentary on the BBC is higher. it took until Felipe massa came into the pits for the sky team to realise what had gone on, but on BBC, Coulthard pointed it out straight away. i'm not sure if BBC commentary is live or if they do the commentary afterwards but there you go.

One thing I didn't like in the BBC commentary compared to Sky was the obvious bias towards Red Bull by Coulthard, when Vettel did the pass he said what a great idea it was from Vettel to do that. Then when Button's radio came on he said it might be a bit iffy but was fine really as Button had pushed him off.

While Sky first said it was a bit suspicious and waited for other angles before Brundle took a side.

#721 kentish

kentish

• 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 23:35

It's definitely live. I have streamed it in the past when travelling. Also i think this is the commentary that is used in Australia and other English speaking countries for their live coverage

#722 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 23:42

BBC commentary is live, Setanta in Ireland carries it on their live transmissions.

What baffles me personally, on an unrelated note, is why Sky would send the skypad to far away and presumably expensive races but they do Germany from the studio in London. Not that it matters really, I just thought it was odd.

Edited by engel, 24 July 2012 - 23:43.

#723 MatParker116

MatParker116

• 46 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:56

BBC commentary is live, Setanta in Ireland carries it on their live transmissions.

What baffles me personally, on an unrelated note, is why Sky would send the skypad to far away and presumably expensive races but they do Germany from the studio in London. Not that it matters really, I just thought it was odd.

It's probably because Anthony Davidson can't fly yet. Cabin pressure can do serous damage to broken bones.

#724 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:58

Plus there was the wedding Georgie had to attend..

#725 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:08

Bah, Captain Obvious alongside Crofty again :(

It wouldn't be so bad without the super emphatic delivery.

#726 natureboy

natureboy

• 76 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:21

Is there a race where Sky DOESN'T talk to Di Resta?
Jesus. Enough of this love fest.

#727 xAtarigeekx

xAtarigeekx

• 573 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:22

1. They were doing a piece on Force India.
2. He is British. They are broadcasting to a primarily British audience. They also talk to Button and Hamilton every week.

#728 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:25

I have to agree, I'm English but when it comes to F1 I'd like Sky to be totally impartial and talk to all or many different drivers, not just the same 2-3 week in-week out.

I'm not anti McLaren at all but I'm tired of all the Button,Hammy interviews, also sick of Di Resta.

#729 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,558 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:28

Try watching in Italy - 100% Ferrari, Spain - 100% Alonso etc.

#730 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,124 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:48

Try watching in Italy - 100% Ferrari, Spain - 100% Alonso etc.

Try USA, you get Speed who don't even show all of Q1 (no, I'm not referring to 'a word from our sponsors', they show from about 2-3 minutes in, plus take a break midway through that session). Given they have apparently absolutely zero knowledge of what's going on at during that time, it's no wonder USA is not really "getting" F1.

They're often bad, today was abysmal. Shocking lack of understanding & professionalism.

Almost, but not quite... makes me wish to hear Eddie Jordan & he's a twat.

#731 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 13:10

Hearing Brundle again made me realise why he's the man, it's so easy to listen to him and not get bored.

#732 smitten

smitten

• 1,452 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 13:15

I'm English but when it comes to F1 I'd like Sky to be totally impartial

Well they are :) You are English and Di Resta is Scottish!

Edited by smitten, 28 July 2012 - 13:15.

#733 Hamilton100000

Hamilton100000

• 41 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 18:18

i have got really bored of sky's ways to watch f1 video. they have shown it before every session this weekend and i think everybody knows what there is available now

Edited by Hamilton100000, 28 July 2012 - 18:19.

#734 P123

P123

• 8,628 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 18:24

1. They were doing a piece on Force India.
2. He is British. They are broadcasting to a primarily British audience. They also talk to Button and Hamilton every week.

They tend to talk to just about every driver every week- with the exception of maybe the HRT and Marussia drivers. It's a complaint without much substance, except for the bias of a few against particular drivers. And if Sky do put a premium on British drivers that is because they are selling their channel to a British audience. It's not rocket science. Despite that, their coverage does seem as balanced as can be expected in terms of attention given across the grid.

Edited by P123, 28 July 2012 - 18:26.

#735 mknight

mknight

• 101 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 19:01

Did anybody catch Ted Kravits angrily shouting at his camera man in FP3? He thought he was off air but Sky took a few seconds to change the broadcast to the track. It was hilarious! :rotfl:

#736 Gilles12

Gilles12

• 853 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:08

Does anyone know if Virgin Media are showing a free Sky feed in the UK this Sunday?

Thanks

#737 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,249 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:22

No free Sky today.

#738 Gilles12

Gilles12

• 853 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:41

No free Sky today.

Darn

Radio 5 here we come!!!

"...and now, extended coverage of the women's synchronised lego from London 2012"

#739 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,965 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:49

Darn

Radio 5 here we come!!!

"...and now, extended coverage of the women's synchronised lego from London 2012"

It'll be on 5 Live Sports Extra, not 5 Live itself.

Advertisement

#740 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,750 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:01

Did anybody catch Ted Kravits angrily shouting at his camera man in FP3? He thought he was off air but Sky took a few seconds to change the broadcast to the track. It was hilarious! :rotfl:

Yeah, The Dark Side Of The Ted.

It was after the Lotus wing piece. I think he shouted something like "Why aren't you showing it?", as it looked like he turned and noticed on his monitor that he was currently on screen and not the wing. I'm not sure it was aimed at his cameraman, more at the director or assistant telling him in his earpiece that he was going off-air.

#741 Ioki

Ioki

• 82 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:09

So Sky has an F1 channel dedicated to...well, F1.

Why in the world are they not capable of showing a re-run of the race coverage in full until 7pm the day after the race? The only thing that gets repeated is their 1.5 hour highlights package. All throughout the sunday to monday night they are just broadcasting their useless "Your Home of Formula 1" nonsense, they should just stick the full coverage on a loop.

Add to that, you can't even watch the full coverage time-shifted off their website. Again, only highlights.

This is one area were the BBC (in general) beat Sky hands-down.

#742 Peat

Peat

• 1,342 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:22

Just record it on Sky+.

You are a sky customer, right?

Orrrrrrrr, are you sponging off of someone else with SkyGo and then bitching about it?;)

#743 fosters35

fosters35

• 139 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:59

Even tho bbc have only half the live races and on paper the most boring, recently the sky only live races have been pretty boring to watch while the live beeb races have been more exciting. I know this hungary race is dull right now but brundle/croft arent adding any excitement for me and im spending more time browsing the web than watching the race... Something ive not done for a loooong time.

#744 condor

condor

• 11,296 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 14:10

What I've found to be quite good - is you can watch Skygo via the pop-up window and get the commentary and you can also browse the internet at the same time :)

When I watch the race on the TV I switch the comp off as it's not possible ( they're opposite sides of the room) to see both at the same time and I concentrate more on the TV as the screen is a lot bigger and I've the use of a very comfortable armchair.

#745 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 14:12

Even tho bbc have only half the live races and on paper the most boring, recently the sky only live races have been pretty boring to watch while the live beeb races have been more exciting. I know this hungary race is dull right now but brundle/croft arent adding any excitement for me and im spending more time browsing the web than watching the race... Something ive not done for a loooong time.

I have to admit, I think it's Sky's fault for "dull" race's as well........

#746 Pingu Pi

Pingu Pi

• 1,719 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 14:14

Haha... Wow.

#747 fosters35

fosters35

• 139 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 14:26

I have to admit, I think it's Sky's fault for "dull" race's as well........

Where was i dissing sky? Im just saying on paper before the season started, the beeb seemed to have pulled the short straw with the choices as on paper they had the more boring ones as past seasons have gone. Just an observation...

#748 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 14:27

The race or the commentary wasn't boring though, methinks you're just having a bad day.

#749 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,696 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 14:50

I watched Sky coverage for the first time today, and while there was nothing at all wrong with the commentary through the race, I much prefer the Beeb build and and post race stuff. The only thing that I wish the BBC had was Johnny Herbert, Ted Kravitz and Damon Hill. Brundle is ok, but I'm happy with the BBC commentators. The pre-race Jensen Button race guide was excruciatingly awkward.

#750 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 15:14

More Lazenby awkwardness, always having his hand around Herbert's waist for no reason. :lol: