Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#751 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,660 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 15:23

I thought Sky's coverage all weekend was dull and boring to be honest. Also, seemed like more commercial breaks before the race started. Got the typical interview with a McLaren driver and little else.

Somebody also needs to remind Simon that 17.10 in Central Europe is 16.10 in the UK.

Advertisement

#752 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,410 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 15:44

I haven't seen much on the Sky coverage that has encouraged me to purchase it or to choose it over the BBC's coverage. Hill and Herbert definitely improved, Simon still awkward and not a big fan of the Sky pad, although I do prefer Alan over Ant. As soon as the BBC gets some live races, I'll be watching theirs.

#753 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,809 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 15:50

Loved the montage at the end of the Sky coverage!

#754 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,410 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 16:00

BBC One now for BBC coverage :)

#755 xAtarigeekx

xAtarigeekx

• 573 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 16:02

Will be interesting to see what the BBC can do with a "highlights" package. This type of race is only interesting if you're following live timing as well. I spent more time watching Hamilton and Kimi exchange sector times lap after lap than I did watching the actual TV feed. A close race like that is very entertaining if you have live timing, but without it's just a car slowly catching another without really getting anywhere.

Not sure this will be the most enthralling of highlight shows.

#756 F1EC

F1EC

• 858 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 16:36

Will be interesting to see what the BBC can do with a "highlights" package. This type of race is only interesting if you're following live timing as well. I spent more time watching Hamilton and Kimi exchange sector times lap after lap than I did watching the actual TV feed. A close race like that is very entertaining if you have live timing, but without it's just a car slowly catching another without really getting anywhere.

Not sure this will be the most enthralling of highlight shows.

It's not turning out too bad so far (lap 22). They're talking about the gaps/sector times fairly frequently, and they've edited it to give continuity to the hamilton / grosjean battle. Seems fairly exciting. Having watched Sky last week, I'm happier with the BBC's edited commentary than Sky's live.

#757 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 17:09

Didn't think much to the BBC's highlights of the race to be honest. Editing was about as subtle as an air-raid and the only thing that could've made it worse would have been the use of a star fade effect.

#758 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,890 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 17:17

I wonder if this weekend will get an audience bump by following Olympics coverage

#759 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,723 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 17:50

BBC Coverage seemed lazy in terms of the editing and Edwards is starting to get a little annoying for me.

Advertisement

#760 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,410 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 17:59

Editing was not up to the usual high standards, both productions (BBC and Sky) seemed a lil meh to me.

#761 Dunc

Dunc

• 436 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 19:58

I've watched live races on both this season and have preferre the BBC coverage. Brudle has become tired, much prefer DC as colour commentator. Crofty is good but Edwards just edges it for me. Jordan may be a **** but he adds a team owner's perspective to event, which Sky lacks. Gary Anderson is also great for his techie take on things.

And then there's Lee McKenzie: The best thing to hit F1 broadcasting since Murray Walker. Sorry, but how fit did she look presenting the coverage today.

#762 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,660 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 20:47

I've watched live races on both this season and have preferre the BBC coverage. Brudle has become tired, much prefer DC as colour commentator. Crofty is good but Edwards just edges it for me. Jordan may be a **** but he adds a team owner's perspective to event, which Sky lacks. Gary Anderson is also great for his techie take on things.

And then there's Lee McKenzie: The best thing to hit F1 broadcasting since Murray Walker. Sorry, but how fit did she look presenting the coverage today.

She looked great.

She is also miles, miles better than Lazenby and if Sky have any sense, they'll replace him with Georgie as main presenter. The suggestion may be shout down by some but come on, despite me saying earlier in the season that he needed time, he is just shockingly bad still. His dismissive interview of Christian Horner yesterday was car crash TV.

#763 Hamilton100000

Hamilton100000

• 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:36

i was watching the olympic volleyball and got to hear good old Jonathan Legard ):

#764 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,146 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:20

Definitely recommend watching The F1 Show this week. Much better and interesting hearing from a different set of voices and opinions. Make this regular after every 2/3 races please Sky!

#765 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,027 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 21:55

So, the Olympics are practically over. For the 2 weeks of the Olympics, the BBC had to give up a contract to show F1 for several years.

Was it worth. Prob not. Within a few weeks it will be forgotten about and the realisation is that the BBC will have majorly cut back on their sports coverage. This move by the BBC will have permanently cost them the ability to show all races of an F1 season in the near to short term future.

#766 rossbrawn

rossbrawn

• 310 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 22:18

So, the Olympics are practically over. For the 2 weeks of the Olympics, the BBC had to give up a contract to show F1 for several years.

Was it worth. Prob not. Within a few weeks it will be forgotten about and the realisation is that the BBC will have majorly cut back on their sports coverage. This move by the BBC will have permanently cost them the ability to show all races of an F1 season in the near to short term future.

Indeed.

BBC: :down: .

#767 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:12

I don't see the correlation between them showing the current Olympics and their new approach to covering F1? They bought the rights to the Olympics well before they took the F1 baton from ITV.

#768 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,146 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:33

The Olympics has helped BBC One achieve their highest viewing figures in 16 years with several events achieving over 15 million viewers (a number F1 can dream about), and it is quite fair to say the majority of people have taken to these Olympics.

There is zero correlation between Olympics and F1 as dank says.

#769 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:53

There is correlation.

The BBC realised that they needed to spend more on the Olympics than they planned for plus the freeze in the license fee handicapped the budget. So more of the money was spent on the Olympics, meaning cuts had to be made. Formula One and a few other sports were the ones in the firing line.

They have done a very good job with the Olympics, but it'll be a few years down the line before they wonder whether it was worth it and now they'll probably see what they can do with the money they have for 2013, 2014 etc

#770 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,146 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:38

The BBC realised that they needed to spend more on the Olympics than they planned

Source for that claim?

#771 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,027 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:11

The whole point of getting rid of their current F1 contract is due to the cost of Olympics transmission.

BBC had to cut back across the board on sports coverage. For instance, they also gave up the first 2 days of the US Masters to save money. They didn't get the rights to several years of World Atheltics Championships too to save money.

Yes, the BBC got great viewing for the Olympics. However, the Olympics will soon be over. The BBC will have permanently lost the rights to maybe 10 GPs per year indefinately. In 5 years time, viewing figures from 2012 will be long forgotten. Have 10 GPs on Sky will not.

Edited by Ali_G, 12 August 2012 - 11:13.

#772 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,462 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:12

But the Olympics has captured the imagination of the whole country, whereas most people don't give a shit about F1.

There's too much of an obsession about viewing figures on here.

As long as it is shown on TV and I can see it, it doesn't bother me how many other people are watching.

#773 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,027 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:39

But the Olympics has captured the imagination of the whole country, whereas most people don't give a shit about F1.

It has captured their imagination, for two weeks. I'm sure people will go along and buy a £100 pair of Asics, only for them to be used about 3 times.

There's too much of an obsession about viewing figures on here.

And rightly so. Team's income is almost directly related to viewing figures via sponsorship money. Viewing figures start to drop, so does team budgets and the viability of small teams to compete and even exist.

As long as it is shown on TV and I can see it, it doesn't bother me how many other people are watching.

A very selfish and incorrect view. As I've said above, the higher the viewing figures are, the more healthy financially the sport is.

#774 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:53

Production costs are dwarfed by tv rights, totally incorrect to claim the BBC's coverage of the Olympics has forced them to drop any rights.

#775 pdac

pdac

• 704 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 13:35

And rightly so. Team's income is almost directly related to viewing figures via sponsorship money. Viewing figures start to drop, so does team budgets and the viability of small teams to compete and even exist.

I'm not sure it's the BBC (and ultimately, the license payers) to fund F1 teams. If viewing figures are so vital to team budgets then they should lobby FOM to reduce their rights fees so that it's more affordable for the BBC to cover F1.

#776 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,027 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 14:03

I'm not sure it's the BBC (and ultimately, the license payers) to fund F1 teams. If viewing figures are so vital to team budgets then they should lobby FOM to reduce their rights fees so that it's more affordable for the BBC to cover F1.

I'm not questioning the BBC decision in light of team funding. I'm questioning pacificquays view that viewership doesn't matter.

#777 R420

R420

• 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 14:15

There is correlation.

The BBC realised that they needed to spend more on the Olympics than they planned for plus the freeze in the license fee handicapped the budget. So more of the money was spent on the Olympics, meaning cuts had to be made. Formula One and a few other sports were the ones in the firing line.

They have done a very good job with the Olympics, but it'll be a few years down the line before they wonder whether it was worth it and now they'll probably see what they can do with the money they have for 2013, 2014 etc

Ever since this deal was announced, I knew that the Olympics had something to do with. The budget for sport has been cut, and with the Olympics this year, there will be less money in the sport budget for other things. Hence this deal with Sky.

#778 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 14:21

What am I missing here? The rights to this year's Olympics were bought well before any TV license fee capping and before the BBC took over the F1 coverage. They would have already been paid for.

Production costs? Nobody knows how much it has cost the Beeb as they've been reluctant to disclose the amount. But I doubt it's anywhere near what's been saved by only showing half the F1 season live over the next few years.

#779 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 14:28

Jake Humphry has been a knob while presenting the Olympics as well.

Advertisement

#780 R420

R420

• 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 14:45

What am I missing here? The rights to this year's Olympics were bought well before any TV license fee capping and before the BBC took over the F1 coverage. They would have already been paid for.

Production costs? Nobody knows how much it has cost the Beeb as they've been reluctant to disclose the amount. But I doubt it's anywhere near what's been saved by only showing half the F1 season live over the next few years.

Not talking about the rights costs, but the costs of actually broadcasting the Olympics, of course the main feeds are provided by the IOC, but processes to get these feeds on TV will.

#781 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,796 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 15:13

Did you expect anything different? The guy is a knob 24/7. His smug grin puts me off my food. :down:

#782 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,660 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 17:55

Watched a few of the race replays on Sky. David Croft really is dreadful. A clown.

#783 pdac

pdac

• 704 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 18:30

I'm not questioning the BBC decision in light of team funding. I'm questioning pacificquays view that viewership doesn't matter.

I can see the point being made though - those who pay the BBC licence fee and, perhaps, also those who subscribe to the Sky F1 coverage are paying their money to watch the sport. As long as the coverage is not under threat from poor viewing figures, then they really don't matter to them. The viewing figures are, as you point out, of concern to the teams and, to a reasonable extent, the broadcasters too. So, in that context, I don't think pacificquays comment is wholely incorrect at all.

Edited by pdac, 12 August 2012 - 18:32.

#784 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,462 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 21:17

That's exactly my point.

The viewing figures are of interest to the participants, but they don't matter to us as long as it's still on the telly.

#785 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:38

Yep, hes that bad he even managed to make Lineker look a good presenter.

#786 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 18:03

Would they? I would have thought any bid would be based on knowing future income and not actually paid until much closer, or possibly after, the event. Now if that income is unexpectedly reduced then something has to give.

#787 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,660 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:51

I watched the journalist F1 show the other day. It was quite good, although I thought the guy from The Mirror seemed a bit 'simple' for want of a better word. He was quite critical of the DDRS Mercedes developed and even seemed to have a problem with calling tyres 'options' and 'primes' I doubt he would be happy unless each car was identical with each part labelled in big bold writing!

#788 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,859 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:23

Apart from Messrs Arron, Williams and Tremayne, most of the F1 writers on national dailes know **** all about the sport and know they'll never get more than about six column inches unless there's a spectacular crash. 'Twas ever thus.

#789 swerved

swerved

• 3,597 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:32

I watched the journalist F1 show the other day. It was quite good, although I thought the guy from The Mirror seemed a bit 'simple' for want of a better word. He was quite critical of the DDRS Mercedes developed and even seemed to have a problem with calling tyres 'options' and 'primes' I doubt he would be happy unless each car was identical with each part labelled in big bold writing!

I thought both him and the other one were to far up their own arseholes, I also wondered whether Jonathan Noble found it grating to be constantly referred to as Johnny, by erm, Crofty.

#790 Les

Les

• 2,066 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 21:37

Here's an interesting (poor) review of Jake at the Olympics. I'll link it here as its related to his style presenting F1 as well.

'Jake Humphrey (bronze medal) - Operated under the delusion that he's great chums with Mark Cavendish and decided to rib him constantly, notably when the world champion cyclist turned up a few minutes late: 'Not quite as quick at walking as you are at cycling, is that the problem?' And just how did he confuse footballers Scott Sinclair (who is black) and Joe Allen (who is white) during GB v Uruguay?'

http://tv.uk.msn.com...page=2#image=16

#791 robefc

robefc

• 8,003 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 21:49

Here's an interesting (poor) review of Jake at the Olympics. I'll link it here as its related to his style presenting F1 as well.

'Jake Humphrey (bronze medal) - Operated under the delusion that he's great chums with Mark Cavendish and decided to rib him constantly, notably when the world champion cyclist turned up a few minutes late: 'Not quite as quick at walking as you are at cycling, is that the problem?' And just how did he confuse footballers Scott Sinclair (who is black) and Joe Allen (who is white) during GB v Uruguay?'

http://tv.uk.msn.com...page=2#image=16

Hit the nail on the head that did, I'm all for informality etc but he's constantly ribbing people in F1 as if he's great mates with them all just as he was doing with Cav, all about him rather than the F1/olympics or whatever it is he's presenting.

#792 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,412 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 22:04

Hit the nail on the head that did, I'm all for informality etc but he's constantly ribbing people in F1 as if he's great mates with them all just as he was doing with Cav, all about him rather than the F1/olympics or whatever it is he's presenting.

Whatever JH presents, it will always end up as the JH show.

#793 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,904 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 23:18

Apart from Messrs Arron, Williams and Tremayne, most of the F1 writers on national dailes know **** all about the sport and know they'll never get more than about six column inches unless there's a spectacular crash. 'Twas ever thus.

:up: :clap:

It is mostly all filth.

P.s. why does the sky F1 site have Planet F1 articles on it? :well:

#794 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,859 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:36

A couple of times (at least) Cav looked like he wanted to thump him. And why did Jake actually kiss Cav at one point?

Several times when the cycling was on I switched to the red button coverage in order to avoid having to listen to Jake being smug and smarmy. Hugh Porter's and Chris Boardman's mellifluous double act was much more acceptable.

#795 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:49

What exactly has Jake Humphrey's presenting job at the Olympics got to do with F1? Oddly, I hardly saw any of him, perhaps it's because he was only on during the afternoons, when the majority of us were working, which could say a heck of a lot about the JH whingers.

#796 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,859 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:24

What exactly has Jake Humphrey's presenting job at the Olympics got to do with F1? Oddly, I hardly saw any of him, perhaps it's because he was only on during the afternoons, when the majority of us were working, which could say a heck of a lot about the JH whingers.

Like what, precisely?

#797 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:33

Like what, precisely?

Jeremy Kyle, couch potato, facebook, shell suit......

#798 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,859 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:04

I think that comment may say more about you and your attitudes than it does about those you seek to stereotype.

#799 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:38

I think that comment may say more about you and your attitudes than it does about those you seek to stereotype.

They stereotype themselves with their fixation on Jake. If they don't like Jake, don't watch him. He's not part of the race commentary team, so watch the race and switch off, if they find him so annoying.

I can't stand Tony Carter, who presents bike racing on Eurosport. He gets muted between races, problem solved.

Advertisement

#800 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,890 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:51

Or we have computers at work.