Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#801 JV97

JV97

• 199 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 17:46

Jake may come across as overly familiar but I've yet to see anyone that doesn't warm to him. Seems to me Cav and Jason quite liked him. And we know But & Ham think well of him too.

May come across as occasionally smug but he's a pro and always seems genuinely into the sport. The BBC's main man for years to come

Advertisement

#802 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,365 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 18:56

The only thing that grates a bit with jake is his propensity for overly grandiose statements about absolutely everything, all of the time. A good run can't just be a good run, it must be SIMPLY THE MOST AMAZING THING A MAN HAS DONE ON TWO LEGS.

He seemed a pretty small part player in the beeb's Olympics coverage, hidden away on bbc3 for the most part. The way everyone was going on a year or so ago I expected him to be anchoring the whole thing.

I am an f1 of actual obsessive nature but a large part of me thinks that if the f1 coverage was cut to pay for the output we've just seen then it was worth it, phenomenal two weeks and something bigger than sport

#803 hallam50

hallam50

• 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:12

Well I have been accepting the fact that I had to wait until Monza to watch the next BBC live race as I thought that was there next one. Looking at the website it says that Spa is live on BBC with Monza on Sky. I have had them the other way round in my diary for months so will have to pleasantly change my plans for the upcoming weekend.

#804 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,209 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:14

Whitmarsh comments, one year on: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102005

#805 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,388 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:35

A typical "Were alright jack" comment from the people at the top. He really should stop trying to pretend he has the fans interest at heart.

#806 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:49

Wait until, if and when the BBC decide to drop it totally.....

#807 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,738 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:02

A typical "Were alright jack" comment from the people at the top. He really should stop trying to pretend he has the fans interest at heart.

Agree.

He's talking rubbish anyway, he seems to think that Sky alone invented internet streaming... and how can 'bums on seats in front of the telly' not be a priority?
Perhaps we should bombard his 'inbox'.

Edited by BullHead, 27 August 2012 - 11:03.

#808 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,388 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:05

Agree.

He's talking rubbish anyway, he seems to think that Sky alone invented internet streaming... and how can 'bums on seats in front of the telly' not be a priority?
Perhaps we should bombard his 'inbox'.

This.

#809 Red17

Red17

• 3,389 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:19

Someone should tell Martin that summer break is over. A bit too late for sillyness.

#810 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 230 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:55

Why is he talking like Sky/Britain is the whole World? British viewers are only a small minority.

#811 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,705 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 13:06

He appears to have adopted the 'lets make the best of a bad situation' type attitude. All of a sudden its fantastic less people are watching the sport compared to recent years because Sky are so great. Yeah right. Nice one Martin, you have come across as a complete knob in that interview.

#812 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 13:33

Yep, Whitmarsh has come across as a total idiot. How can less people viewing the GP be better. I wonder if his comments are to do with something else that we are unaware of. Sucking up to Bernie/Sky for his own future good or career. Either way, he's an idiot.

#813 fosters35

fosters35

• 137 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 13:50

Aren't Sky sports sponsoring McLaren as they had the SS logo on the inside of the rear wing last race.......

Edited by fosters35, 27 August 2012 - 13:50.

#814 DS27

DS27

• 1,057 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 20:38

Whitmarsh has no integrity - shock / horror :well:

#815 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 20:46

Weird, I can't see anything wrong with what Whitmarsh was saying there..

The 'bum on seats' comments is clearly referring to the traditional way of calculating TV ratings, and nobody can argue that this issue is evolving at a silly rate.. this method of calculating exposure is getting less and less relevant.

#816 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,989 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 21:06

Jake may come across as overly familiar but I've yet to see anyone that doesn't warm to him. Seems to me Cav and Jason quite liked him. And we know But & Ham think well of him too.

I'm a peace loving man who hates violence, any violence at all but that arrogant smug-faced little shit makes me want to punch him hard in the face everytime he's on the screen for more than 10 seconds.

Edited by Longtimefan, 28 August 2012 - 01:10.

#817 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 21:12

I'm a peace loving man who hates violence, any violence at all but that arrogant smug-fact little shit makes me want to punch him hard in the face everytime he's on the screen for more than 10 seconds.

You might want to get that seen to.

#818 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,989 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:15

You might want to get that seen to.

It'll be sorted next season when the BBC drop F1 entirely.

And typo corrected, 'faced' not 'fact'. ;)

#819 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:53

BE

"We can't think of bums on seats on the living room any more, because there are mobile phones, tablets, PCs, internet – plus storage for viewing later.

Can anyone describe viewing experience of full an F1 race on a mobile phone?

Advertisement

#820 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:02

BE

Can anyone describe viewing experience of full an F1 race on a mobile phone?

It was Whitmarsh saying that and what matters to him is exposure for his sponsors, so with all the apps, the internet stuff, etc.. he doesn't get exposure just from people watching the race live on TV. It's about the whole thing which has and is expanding in ways that are obvious but difficult to quantify.

#821 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 297 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:30

I am an f1 of actual obsessive nature but a large part of me thinks that if the f1 coverage was cut to pay for the output we've just seen then it was worth it, phenomenal two weeks and something bigger than sport

I thought you'd get a barrage of abuse for that, but I am right with you. Those two weeks were simply never-to-be repeated breathtaking TV, and so well worth doing. Loved it, learned from it, miss it,

but heck, I'm a fickle sort of character, so roll on Spa Francorchamps!

#822 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,375 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:43

I thought you'd get a barrage of abuse for that, but I am right with you. Those two weeks were simply never-to-be repeated breathtaking TV, and so well worth doing. Loved it, learned from it, miss it,

Greeks probably said the same too after Athens 2004. So gullible a nation we are.

Edited by rhukkas, 28 August 2012 - 12:43.

#823 R420

R420

• 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 23:50

It was Whitmarsh saying that and what matters to him is exposure for his sponsors, so with all the apps, the internet stuff, etc.. he doesn't get exposure just from people watching the race live on TV. It's about the whole thing which has and is expanding in ways that are obvious but difficult to quantify.

He is toeing the line and kissing Sky's backside since they are now sponsoring them.

There a number of things wrong with that whole article.

Firstly it mentions the current deal as "pay-per-view" when it isn't, it is subscription TV.

Then it goes on about the viewing figures as the move to pay TV had not affected the figures that much. Even though it has not gone fully to pay TV, with half of the races still being shown on FTA TV. If F1 had purely gone to pay TV, the figures would be a lot lower, it is only the BBC that are keeping the figures so high. Sky Sports are just getting 1 million viewers on exclusively live races, and then on shared races they are getting no where near 1 million viewers.

Then there is the thing about the "bums on seats" part. Claiming that the extra ways of watching Sky Sports on the move adds to the number of viewers. Which is complete rubbish.
Those who watch on a mobile phone, or a tablet, already have access to the channel in the first place. They would either be watching at home on the TV or somewhere else with a net connection using Sky Go.

But my personal experience of using Sky Go on a mobile device was poor, no one would intentionally opt to watch on a mobile, the size of the screen is tiny and the data costs incurred are high.

But as usual, the facts and opinions are always skewed when it comes to Sky Sports, in an attempt to make them look better.

#824 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 365 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 00:02

He is toeing the line and kissing Sky's backside since they are now sponsoring them.

I'm new to F1. Is that even allowed? I'd have thought there'd be conflict of interest issues or something if a broadcaster was sponsoring one of the teams :/

#825 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:58

Ant is back! :up:

#826 F1EC

F1EC

• 864 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:20

I'm new to F1. Is that even allowed? I'd have thought there'd be conflict of interest issues or something if a broadcaster was sponsoring one of the teams :/

Mad cackle.

My first 2-3 years of F1 were very angry ones, as I raged about various issues that appeared to be unfair, illegal, immoral, ungentlemanly, etc.

F1 (as a sport or business) isn't known for integrity or fairness. F1 doesn't give a flying f**k about anything as long as the money's coming in. There is nothing altruistic or sporting about it. It does, however, provide a fair amount of entertainment. I've found that if I accept it for that, and don't have any other expectations from it, I save myself a lot of puzzlement and annoyance.

Trying to work out what's behind the things that drivers and other team members say in interviews is pointless - their motivations are open to interpretation but their words probably don't reflect what they're actually thinking. However it fuels a lot of debate here and keeps us distracted from the more important (and probably very boring) things we should be doing.

Edited by F1EC, 31 August 2012 - 10:21.

#827 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 400 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:52

Didn't Canal+ sponsor Prost back in the day? I'm not sure if they broadcast F1 then or what, but I remember their logo being on the cars.

#828 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 388 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:10

Didn't Canal+ sponsor Prost back in the day? I'm not sure if they broadcast F1 then or what, but I remember their logo being on the cars.

Canalsat in 1997, Canal + later.

Eurosport France sponsored Tyrell in 1992, and a team in Indycar in 1993 .

TF1, Oreca in F3000.

#829 Juggles

Juggles

• 896 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:25

The only thing that grates a bit with jake is his propensity for overly grandiose statements about absolutely everything, all of the time. A good run can't just be a good run, it must be SIMPLY THE MOST AMAZING THING A MAN HAS DONE ON TWO LEGS.

He seemed a pretty small part player in the beeb's Olympics coverage, hidden away on bbc3 for the most part. The way everyone was going on a year or so ago I expected him to be anchoring the whole thing.

Really? He was one of the BBC1 anchors and presented all the action from the velodrome, Britain's most fruitful arena in terms of medals.

#830 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,705 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 18:13

Really? He was one of the BBC1 anchors and presented all the action from the velodrome, Britain's most fruitful arena in terms of medals.

Yeah I saw him an awful lot and thought he covered a hell of a lot during the Olympics.

#831 xAtarigeekx

xAtarigeekx

• 573 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:26

Dat dress

#832 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,515 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 13:25

Oh BBC, that was so amateur, showing the line up of the grid but not punting Mark Webber back five places in the graphic. That really was poor. How can you show a grid visual with such a schoolboy inaccuracy ?

#833 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,664 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:14

Oh BBC, that was so amateur, showing the line up of the grid but not punting Mark Webber back five places in the graphic. That really was poor. How can you show a grid visual with such a schoolboy inaccuracy ?

The official starting grid would not have been published at that point, therefore the BBC grid as shown was 'correct' at that point :wave:
Article 36 of the FIA sporting regs state that the official grid only has to be published at least 4 hours before the formation lap takes place. This is to allow for any additional penalities to be applied, for example - post qualification scrutineering, stewards investigations, engine/gearbox changes. Until the grid is officially published, any grid is purly speculative.

Edited by ExFlagMan, 01 September 2012 - 14:15.

#834 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,515 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:24

Well ok I see your point, but we know that Webber is going to start five places behind his quali, don't we ? Why not present a grid that is correct according to the information that we know at the time of broadcasting ? The commentary does tend to say, 'This is how they will line up for the race tomorrow,' and today that was incorrect as according to what we knew at the time.

#835 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:46

Well ok I see your point, but we know that Webber is going to start five places behind his quali, don't we ? Why not present a grid that is correct according to the information that we know at the time of broadcasting ? The commentary does tend to say, 'This is how they will line up for the race tomorrow,' and today that was incorrect as according to what we knew at the time.

You watch the telly with the sound off? Both BBC commentators mentioned several times that Webber was going to get a 5 place penalty. I guess you missed it because you were spending your time looking for the tiniest mistake to make a fuss about.

#836 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,790 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 20:31

Dat dress

Needed to see more of it.

Sky's commentary was better once again, I just love Brundle's commentary it's so effortlessly good.

#837 swerved

swerved

• 3,621 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 20:34

Needed to see more of it.

Sky's commentary was better once again, I just love Brundle's commentary it's so effortlessly good.

Unlike Croftys, who was convinced Shumey was complaining on the radio about being blocked, even suggesting that Senna was responsible for the blocking, the reality is that Schumey had said his rear wheels locked.

#838 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,790 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 21:20

Unlike Croftys, who was convinced Shumey was complaining on the radio about being blocked, even suggesting that Senna was responsible for the blocking, the reality is that Schumey had said his rear wheels locked.

Yeah Crofty is the downside, if Brundle had a partner of his caliber it would just be awesome.

#839 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 21:23

I thought the Sky coverage was particularly solid today with the Skypad technical hiccup being the only issue..

... then I clicked on this thread.

:( :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#840 natureboy

natureboy

• 73 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:37

Nice piece on the old Spa.

#841 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 689 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:14

EJ in the tiger suite :lol:

#842 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,705 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:18

Good opener by the Beeb, great to see it back.

#843 Sukhoi

Sukhoi

• 273 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:47

BBC Camera man ... gotta love this guy !

#844 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,788 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 13:56

Not Sky or BBC but these podium interviews are utterly dismal. They need people who CAN interview, so slow, so boring really really slow the excitement down.

#845 xAtarigeekx

xAtarigeekx

• 573 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 14:00

Hi Georgie :love:

#846 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:21

No doubt some of you will be pleased to know that Jake Humphrey has a book coming out soon called The Inside Track: Paddocks, Pit Stops and Tales of My Life in the Fast Lane

Travelling around the globe in the F1 bubble, Jake brings you close to the action. With his unique access to the key characters in the sport he reveals a side of figures such as Jenson and Hamilton, Schumacher and Ecclestone not seen before. From techie heaven driving the Red Bull simulator to witnessing moments of great sporting triumph, Jake brings you behind the scenes in the paddock to behold the changing face of F1 and his life as a TV presenter permanently walking the tightrope of public humiliation.

Sounds like a real must-buy...

#847 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:35

No doubt some of you will be pleased to know that Jake Humphrey has a book coming out soon called The Inside Track: Paddocks, Pit Stops and Tales of My Life in the Fast Lane

Hmm, like most things it will no doubt be a brown nose fest. One word out of line then that pass would be whipped away quicker than you can say Bernie.

#848 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,388 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 19:32

It won't be on my xmas wish list.

#849 johnhen

johnhen

• 61 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 19:49

3 and a half years covering the sport and he's coming out with one of these ? Ah piss off !

There'll be nothing in there you didn't already know if you don't watch F1 regularly, it'll just be a load of brown nosing.

I bet there'll be no talk of what driver is actually a bollix, and whos PR spins the most shite.

The F1 paddock is a pretty close knit place, I very much doubt that this book will blow the lid off anything. Plus, conveniently, it's out in time for Xmas..

Just when I was starting to maybe like Jake again after the Olympics..

#850 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,705 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 19:52

I wouldn't even read Brundles book let alone a guy who knows little about the sport.