• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#851 bongofury

bongofury

• 57 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 19:54

It won't be on my xmas wish list.

Its not on mine either, but I bet I end up with it ):

Edited by bongofury, 05 September 2012 - 19:54.

Advertisement

#852 Absulute

Absulute

• 874 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 20:05

Its not on mine either, but I bet I end up with it ):

Me too :D

I'll put it on my shelf (in the loft) with the other tat people buy me because I 'like cars'

Anyone want a copy of Richard Hammond's book? I have 3 :|

#853 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,734 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 20:12

LOL I got given a book called 'Working the Wheel' by Martin Brundle a couple of Christmases back in a secret Santa at work. I re-wrapped it and gave it to my brother. :p

#854 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,450 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 20:18

LOL I got given a book called 'Working the Wheel' by Martin Brundle a couple of Christmases back in a secret Santa at work. I re-wrapped it and gave it to my brother. :p

Martin gave you a book! Hope you got him something nice.;)

#855 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,734 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:18

Martin gave you a book! Hope you got him something nice.;)

What you think I'd work for Sky? I bet their secret Santa's are a bit better than ours :p

#856 Peat

Peat

• 1,326 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:24

I hope you read it first?

If not, you're a fool.

#857 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,353 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:55

No doubt some of you will be pleased to know that Jake Humphrey has a book coming out soon called The Inside Track: Paddocks, Pit Stops and Tales of My Life in the Fast Lane

Sounds like a real must-buy...

What I called in my bookselling days an "Uncle Fred book" - as in "What can we get Uncle Fred for Christmas? He likes motor racing ..."

I expect it will feature prominently in The Works as part of their Easter 2013 display. They've probably already worked out how many they can shift at £2.99 a shot.  ;)

#858 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,222 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:15

'87, '88, '90, '94 and '95 Italy extended highlights on Red Button this weekend :)

#859 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,585 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:52

Formula One books are some of the most common books to be found in charity shops, along with encyclopaedias of world beer. Most F1 drivers are appalling egotists. However I would read autobiographies of Max Mosley or Bernie Ecclestone. They must have had interesting lives.

Advertisement

#860 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 194 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:42

Not entirely F1 related, but I have enjoyed some of the mashed descriptions of Alex Zanardi's career history by the mainstream media since his gold medal success.

Think I saw a Guardian piece which said he'd competed in Karts in Amercia... (er, think they mean CART), whilst on Sky Sports News during the 6am bulletin this morning the presenter said following his accident in 2001 he rehabbed then competed in a (yes singular) touring car race at Brands Hatch... failing to mention the other 104 starts and 4 wins in WTCC.

It makes me laugh how even a cursory glance at his Wikipedia page would've avoided those mistakes. Facts, pah!

#861 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,067 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:05

I don't like Sky's habit of showing old F1 races in black and white?

Ie: again they just showed Monza 1971 in black and white and I know for a fact that's available in colour because I have it on one if my F1 USB hard drives. This is like the 2nd or 3rd colour race they've shown in black and white.

Obviously if the race is only available in B&W that's fine but I'm wondering why they are doing this?

#862 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,291 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:34

I am LOVING that insurance ad aired on SKY. Beautiful.

#863 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:44

I'd buy double glazing from that Texan bloke.

#864 xAtarigeekx

xAtarigeekx

• 573 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:55

Can Georgie please start to present all pre and post race analysis? :love:

#865 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,856 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:00

Rubbish pre-race from Sky. We got the usual focus on McLaren and not a lot else (other than a few locals telling us Alonso is #1 which I'm sure the F1 show had)

I presume the next race the BBC show live, Sky will try a bit harder.

#866 MinT

MinT

• 2,049 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:09

Thought the pre-race was one of their better ones.

Lazenby seems to be settling down more now and they all seemed more relaxed.

Some good features, Peterson etc.

Had the RB quiz been on the BBC people would be saying it was fantastic....

Interesting Ron Dennis interview straight after the podium - he seemed to be trying to tell us something, I am just not sure what.

#867 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 5,066 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:13

Lazenby really doesn't have a clue. He can't understand that Perez was faster on hards at the end than the leaders at the start, when its blatantly obvious. Less fuel and rubbered in track.

#868 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,856 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:13

Sky seriously need to ditch Hill. So what if a team isn't based in England.

#869 WatchingF1since4yearsold

WatchingF1since4yearsold

• 250 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:15

really rated Sky's coverage this year, enjoyed it so much haven't even thought about watching BBC's, Eddie Jordan talks a lot of crap as well, frankly I think the Mercedes thing is just him trying to cause a bit of a commotion, I liked him as a team boss but as a pundit he is dire.

#870 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,450 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:17

Lazenby really doesn't have a clue. He can't understand that Perez was faster on hards at the end than the leaders at the start, when its blatantly obvious. Less fuel and rubbered in track.

Could have sworn Perez was on softs at the end.

#871 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,450 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:18

Sky seriously need to ditch Hill. So what if a team isn't based in England.

I'd agree. He's nice bloke but far too wooden for the role.

#872 MinT

MinT

• 2,049 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:19

maybe you need to understand Perez was on the softer tyre....

#873 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,450 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:20

really rated Sky's coverage this year, enjoyed it so much haven't even thought about watching BBC's, Eddie Jordan talks a lot of crap as well, frankly I think the Mercedes thing is just him trying to cause a bit of a commotion, I liked him as a team boss but as a pundit he is dire.

I've watched all but one race on Sky and generally been happy with the coverage, but with one or two things I'd be happy to see changed, like Lazenby. What I can't say is that they have taken things to another level.

#874 Vereint

Vereint

• 91 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:41

Delighted with the Sky coverage as opposed to what the BBC are producing. I used to enjoy it on the BBC, but this season especially it's just got two ridiculous. It's like a terrible version of Top Gear with the three amigos trying to be funny all the time. Not sure what them all cycling some weird bike together has to do with F1, or Eddie in a tiger suit, or the three of them in a bed. Jake delighted yesterday to tweet about DC's shit shirt and the #justpressone thing. I love the sport, but hate all of that stuff. Even Eddie's feature about Lewis Hamilton before qualifying was ridiculous. Clowning around with his face about an inch from the camera.

Some people might enjoy all of that nonsense, but alot of people don't. Everyone is watching because they like the sport or have an interest in it, but behaving like they do just alienates alot of their viewers. You have to be into all that nonsense to enjoy the show. If they want to play the prize prick roll, they should just have a seperate highlights show like Match Of The Day 2 where its a bit more lighthearted and they mix it with some terrible comedy.

Thankfully Sky is far more professional. The coverage for me is like night and day. Sky is blitzing it. The three amigos now believe their own hype.

#875 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:59

My mate was staying at the campsite where Jake and Eddie went along too last week. All Jake was bothered about was mentioning it to always watch the BBC and not those nasty Sky people. Make you record it on BBC, we are great blah blah. Everytime he slags Sky off. Getting the crowd to chant BBC last week on the forum was cringe worthy at best.

#876 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,450 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 15:01

My mate was staying at the campsite where Jake and Eddie went along too last week. All Jake was bothered about was mentioning it to always watch the BBC and not those nasty Sky people. Make you record it on BBC, we are great blah blah. Everytime he slags Sky off. Getting the crowd to chant BBC last week on the forum was cringe worthy at best.

That's the aspect I really hate given how it was the BBC that reneged on the contract.

#877 fosters35

fosters35

• 137 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 16:59

I quite liked simon at the start but hes really irritating now. Skys coverage isnt bad but jeez the ads! I was flicking around channels from 11.30 - 12.15 and everytime i went back to F1 HD there was ads.
I think they take the pi*s a bit going ad free when head to head with bbc but pepper you with no competition.
On paper skys presenters are better but i feel they dont quite gel properly and i really don't miss brundle like i thought i would when i watch beebs coverge. DC has come on leaps and bounds tho. Hated his 'wooden' style to start with but is superb now.

For all EJs faults, he does bring something extra to the table which sky don't. Beeb having a presenter, ex driver and ex team boss seems to work/gel better than skys presenter and numerous ex drivers only.

Edited by fosters35, 09 September 2012 - 17:01.

#878 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 17:02

I'm becoming more impressed with Sky.

I still find Simon a tad irritating and I don't think Damon Hill adds anything that Johnny Herbert and Martin Brundle cannot provide. Georgie has also demonstrated that she has quite good knowledge.

#879 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,947 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 17:15

IMO, there is no competition between sky and the BBC.

BBC are just more 'aware' of what is going on and give so much more insight than sky: ('How is it like in Switzerland?)
The BBC give you the stories you want, and you can see they are still heavily involved in the paddock, breaking stories etc.

I am a neutral though, and i have got to say sky's picture quality is brilliant.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 09 September 2012 - 17:16.

Advertisement

#880 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 9,030 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 17:18

:lol:

#881 hansmann

hansmann

• 260 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 17:21

maybe you need to understand Perez was on the softer tyre....

Indeed he was ;) .
Speaking of which, Crofty must have made a record number of mistakes this time too .
Loved the one about McLaren's great reliabilty right after the race .

#882 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,450 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 17:37

IMO, there is no competition between sky and the BBC.

BBC are just more 'aware' of what is going on and give so much more insight than sky: ('How is it like in Switzerland?)
The BBC give you the stories you want, and you can see they are still heavily involved in the paddock, breaking stories etc.

I am a neutral though, and i have got to say sky's picture quality is brilliant.

But for half the races they are several hours behind the event and don't show the whole thing. You can say there is no competition, but IMHO showing all races live trumps anything the BBC do.

#883 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,947 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 17:43

But for half the races they are several hours behind the event and don't show the whole thing. You can say there is no competition, but IMHO showing all races live trumps anything the BBC do.

Fair enough, I was maybe then referring to the races where both are live. of course, when BBC don't have a race, i go with sky.

#884 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,734 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 19:23

If you avoid the result, it doesn't matter whether it is live or not, the experience is still the same IMO. I could have watched Sky today but chose to go out in the sunshine and ignore the TV and radio. I watched today's race a little later on on the Beeb and my enjoyment didn't suffer one bit. I know some fans don't feel they are being true if they don't watch it completely live but at this point in time we have all seen the race in equal measure.

#885 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,450 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 19:33

If you avoid the result, it doesn't matter whether it is live or not, the experience is still the same IMO. I could have watched Sky today but chose to go out in the sunshine and ignore the TV and radio. I watched today's race a little later on on the Beeb and my enjoyment didn't suffer one bit. I know some fans don't feel they are being true if they don't watch it completely live but at this point in time we have all seen the race in equal measure.

Even if you avoid the race result your still not seeing the whole thing. I find watching highlights totally diminishes the experience, for me. It may seem like empty laps to some, but they are part of the build up to something else. I can't always be home to see the race live, but will always record and watch the whole race.

Edited by Clatter, 09 September 2012 - 19:34.

#886 evol88

evol88

• 43 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 19:37

Even if you avoid the race result your still not seeing the whole thing. I find watching highlights totally diminishes the experience, for me. It may seem like empty laps to some, but they are part of the build up to something else. I can't always be home to see the race live, but will always record and watch the whole race.

I have to agree. I prefer the BBC's team to Sky's, but I really hate these extended highlights. It's hard to keep track of laptimes, you miss small details, there's not the same build up of tension, the race goes by too quick and you can't use any online interactive features (eg race threads, live timing etc). I wish the BBC could show the race in its entirety, even if it has to be delayed by a few hours.

Edited by evol88, 09 September 2012 - 19:37.

#887 evol88

evol88

• 43 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 19:41

Did anyone else notice Ben Edwards calling KR 'Jimmy Raikkonen' by accident today? Made me laugh!

#888 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,734 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:07

I have to agree. I prefer the BBC's team to Sky's, but I really hate these extended highlights. It's hard to keep track of laptimes, you miss small details, there's not the same build up of tension, the race goes by too quick and you can't use any online interactive features (eg race threads, live timing etc). I wish the BBC could show the race in its entirety, even if it has to be delayed by a few hours.

I can of course understand that feeling too. I've used live timing in the past but found I was watching that and missing stuff on the screen. I'd rather watch the race on the TV, and the highlights haven't been as bad as I expected. :)

#889 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 400 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 15:49

Rumours are that BT want Jake to front their football coverage when their new Premier League deal starts.

The fact that he's just announced that his partner is expecting, and has mentioned several times about how little time he spends at home, I can see Jake leaving F1 coverage at the end of the season to focus on his little one. And no doubt pick up a big of extra cash at the same time - who could blame him for that?

Speculation, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jake were to leave.

Charles Sale on Jake leaving - before you jump on the DM bandwagon, this guy has been spot on about almost every aspect of BBC/Sky's F1 coverage, particularly ins and outs of the broadcasting teams.

#890 MinT

MinT

• 2,049 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 16:28

I dont care if Jake leaves - as long as he doesnt end up on Sky.

In fact if he did leave I might start watching the BBC coverage again

#891 smitten

smitten

• 1,447 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 16:57

I can see Jake leaving F1 coverage at the end of the season to focus on his little one.

Could be a good break for Lee McKenzie.

#892 pRy

pRy

• 10,958 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 17:03

That's if the BBC still show F1 next year.;)

#893 smitten

smitten

• 1,447 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 17:05

Don't :stoned:

#894 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,849 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 17:26

She seemed so wooden when having to present, I'd definitely have to stick with Sky if she took over.

#895 MinT

MinT

• 2,049 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 19:20

Ah true..maybe Jake has seen the writing on the BBC wall.....

#896 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 00:16

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Jake is only the presenter. Those who have problems with him can watch the important part of the programme - the race - and won't need to see or hear him.
Simples.

#897 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 194 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:28

Personally like Jake, but if he leaves Lee will make a fine replacement. My biggest hope is that DC isn't poached by Sky going forward, he would be the biggest loss for BBC...

Edited by grandmastashi, 15 September 2012 - 08:28.

#898 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:31

DC's out of contract at the end of the year...

#899 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:45

DC's out of contract at the end of the year...

Surely Sky will make a move for him? They'd be crazy not to at least try, personally i think DC, Herbet, Davidson & Hill would be a good set of pundits to choose from. Just replace Lazenby with Georgie Thompson and Sky are golden!

Advertisement

#900 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,734 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:52

She's always done a great job when ever she's stepped in, and much nicer to look at than Jake :p