Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#951 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 1,515 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 14:18

Wait until you are happily married with a life! You'll find sitting infront of the TV for pretty much a whole Sunday afternoon is pretty low on your list of priorities.

Even when the races are completely live on the BBC, I still record them and watch them around 6 or 7pm but avoid the result. I haven't had a single race ruined yet and don't see the difference in experience if everything you are watching is unexpected anyway.

Excuse me!

Don't presume to know my circumstances.

I have a wife and child and they watch each Grand Prix too.

Advertisement

#952 Absulute

Absulute

• 874 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 14:30

If I was a sports presenter, I don't think I'd want to work for the BBC either.

#953 Peat

Peat

• 1,326 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 15:05

Wait until you are happily married with a life!

Nah. Mutually exclusive.

#954 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,652 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 15:45

Disappointing, but not entirely unexpected news given that it was revealed last week him and Harriet are having a baby.

Hopefully him and the team can go out with a bang to end the year. I do genuinely think he's the best F1 presenter we've had yet, and we'll definitely miss him next year, especially if Lazenby stays on at Sky.

He is the best presenter we have for F1 I agree.

Watching Sky these days with Lazenby... I hope they replace him with someone natural like Jake, because Simon just don't cut it for some reason.

Edited by RedOne, 18 September 2012 - 15:45.

#955 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 15:53

Simon would be fine if he cut out his awkward laughter. It's not an easy job and I think he's bedded in well now. It's just that damn laugh :p

#956 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 19:13

If Humpers was chasing the bucks, why didn't he just switch to Sky F1?! He said presenting the F1 was his dream job, and the Beeb seemed to be lineing him up to the their 'face of sport', although i conceed they don't have much.

BT have 38 games over 3 years... little more than 12 games a year, hardly good fodder for someone who loves presenting live sport.

Fully expect the beeb to quietly dump F1 in its entirety at the end of the year.

#957 bongofury

bongofury

• 57 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 19:37

BT Vision tops complaints table for pay TV subscribers

"...agreed to pay £738m for 114 Premier League football matches over three seasons"

That's over £5m per match :eek: Are they mad?

Going back to Jake, I also feel that the BBC will slide away from F1. This could signal the start of ads during Sky's coverage. Happy to be corrected, but my understanding is that they only said no race ads for 2012.

#958 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,453 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 19:50

If Humpers was chasing the bucks, why didn't he just switch to Sky F1?! He said presenting the F1 was his dream job, and the Beeb seemed to be lineing him up to the their 'face of sport', although i conceed they don't have much.

BT have 38 games over 3 years... little more than 12 games a year, hardly good fodder for someone who loves presenting live sport.

Fully expect the beeb to quietly dump F1 in its entirety at the end of the year.

He lied. He will say whatever he believes the audience wants to hear.

#959 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,739 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 19:52

I think the point many here are missing is the fact Jake is expecting a child with his partner and he just won't have the time needed to travel to every race and spend weeks away from his family.

I don't know if most posters here are young or not, but the logistics of juggling a new family with this type of work is just not viable.

Advertisement

#960 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,453 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 19:52

114 not 38.

#961 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,453 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 19:54

"...agreed to pay £738m for 114 Premier League football matches over three seasons"

Going back to Jake, I also feel that the BBC will slide away from F1. This could signal the start of ads during Sky's coverage. Happy to be corrected, but my understanding is that they only said no race ads for 2012.

Yes they are. The figures just don't stack up to being a good deal.

#962 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:02

I think the point many here are missing is the fact Jake is expecting a child with his partner and he just won't have the time needed to travel to every race and spend weeks away from his family.

I don't know if most posters here are young or not, but the logistics of juggling a new family with this type of work is just not viable.

I have little interest in why JH is leaving the BBC, but having a baby is a piss poor excuse for leaving a £250k a year job. I think you'll find there are many dozens of people who travel around the world with the F1 circus who have young families. Some of them actually drive the cars.
MS's children were born in '97 & '99 - right in the middle of his first racing career.

Just found this -

The deal is not exclusive and allows him (JH) to work for other broadcasters outside contract commitments.

Edited by Tonka, 18 September 2012 - 20:05.

#963 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:07

I have little interest in why JH is leaving the BBC, but having a baby is a piss poor excuse for leaving a £250k a year job. I think you'll find there are many dozens of people who travel around the world with the F1 circus who have young families. Some of them actually drive the cars.
MS's children were born in '97 & '99 - right in the middle of his first racing career.

Just found this -

Nice to see your so willing to put a price on being there for your child's up bringing.

I think Jake leaving for the sake of his child is completely reasonable. Can't blame him one bit.

#964 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:13

Nice to see your so willing to put a price on being there for your child's up bringing.

I think Jake leaving for the sake of his child is completely reasonable. Can't blame him one bit.

You've no interest in the sacrifices low earning team members make for their families?

Bet you a pound to a pinch of poo, that JH's sprogs all end up going to expensive boarding schools.

Edited by Tonka, 18 September 2012 - 20:14.

#965 rwamnep

rwamnep

• 29 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:18

Just found this -

I think there's a bit of a difference between JH and MS. Schumacher makes full use of his private jet. Arriving at the circuit as late as possible on the Thursday and leaving as early as possible on the Sunday. So for the European races he would take his kids to school on the Thursday, fly to the race and then be home in time for Sunday dinner.

JH often tweets about arriving on Wednesdays of the grand prix and not arriving home until Monday. Which for the European races adds up to 20 odd days a year. Nearly a month

#966 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,739 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:19

Jake is a sports presenter and an employee of the BBC, not an F1 engineer or a driver. The fact he is being compared to such is bloody ridiculous. He doesn't need to sacrifice seeing his son/daughter growing up because he isn't in a job where he is competing to win or chose a career in that field. He's simply a presenter delivering it to the viewers.

Taking a role that enable him to present but still hold down a decent family life is admirable and good on him for doing it. He owes us nothing. Get a grip.

#967 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,739 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:21

Bet you a pound to a pinch of poo, that JH's sprogs all end up going to expensive boarding schools.

So what if he does send his kids to private school? Why is that any of your business or that of F1 fans? :confused:

#968 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:42

I think there's a bit of a difference between JH and MS. Schumacher makes full use of his private jet. Arriving at the circuit as late as possible on the Thursday and leaving as early as possible on the Sunday. So for the European races he would take his kids to school on the Thursday, fly to the race and then be home in time for Sunday dinner.

JH often tweets about arriving on Wednesdays of the grand prix and not arriving home until Monday. Which for the European races adds up to 20 odd days a year. Nearly a month

New to F1 are you?

#969 rwamnep

rwamnep

• 29 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:46

New to F1 are you?

Going to make a point after that question or just a sarcastic comment?

#970 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:48

Jake is a sports presenter and an employee of the BBC, not an F1 engineer or a driver. The fact he is being compared to such is bloody ridiculous. He doesn't need to sacrifice seeing his son/daughter growing up because he isn't in a job where he is competing to win or chose a career in that field. He's simply a presenter delivering it to the viewers.

Taking a role that enable him to present but still hold down a decent family life is admirable and good on him for doing it. He owes us nothing. Get a grip.

You're posting rubbish for the sake of having an argument. Grow up.
JH has been earning £250k a year, that's more than several drivers and 90% of the pits crews. For that kind of money he's expected to make some sacrifices. Get over yourself.

The BBC will have a long queue of people happy to replace him.

#971 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:50

Going to make a point after that question or just a sarcastic comment?

You have a clue about how much work MS, and all the other drivers, put into racing back when his children were born?

#972 rwamnep

rwamnep

• 29 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:52

You have a clue about how much work MS, and all the other drivers, put into racing back when his children were born?

I was merely using the race weekends as an example. Trying to get the point across that it's different for drivers and TV presenters

#973 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,075 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:08

Good Riddance I say, JH has no love or passion for F1, it was a job for him and nothing else.

I'd rather have someone who actually loves and sport and cares for it, ie Brundle, Walker, Hunt etc etc.

JH's arrogance over the entire BBC-SKY affair was very distasteful and suspect. Yes, head off to football kiddo, thats more your style.

#974 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 322 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:04

Totally agree, and if he did he would be a bit of a git to be honest.

The schedule is tough, and its looking like its going to get tougher.

I does seem like he won't be that busy at BT, but if he's on a similar salary as he is at the beeb. then I wouldn't blame him, he'll be made not to quite frankly.

#975 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,335 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:23

Jake is a great loss for F1 and the BBC. Since the BBC won back the F1 coverage he has been the best part of it IMO. He brought a youthful enthusiasm to the coverage after the stuffiness of Rosenthal and Ryder. And you can't say he isn't an F1 fan, I'm sure he knows more than most here how the sport really works. Yes, he put's his career first but can you blame him? We don't know the ins and outs of the BBC/Sky deal but I'm sure Jake does and it probably made his decision easier. Plus I doubt he'll take a pay cut.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 18 September 2012 - 22:27.

#976 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,453 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:26

Jake is a great loss for F1 and the BBC. Since the BBC won back the F1 coverage he has been the best part of it IMO. He brought a youthful enthusiasm to the coverage after the stuffiness of Rosenthal and Ryder. And you can't say he isn't an F1 fan, I'm sure he knows more than most here how the sport really works. Yes, he put's his career first but can you blame him? We don't know the ins and outs of the BBC/Sky deal but I'm sure Jake does and it probably made his decision easier.

Utter tosh. He adds nothing to F1 and F1 won't miss him.

#977 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,652 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:59

Simon would be fine if he cut out his awkward laughter. It's not an easy job and I think he's bedded in well now. It's just that damn laugh :p

I don't even remember the laugh, I think I've mentally blocked it out :p

#978 robefc

robefc

• 8,065 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 23:30

Just found this -

A) why does he need an excuse
B) he's leaving his £250k job for...another £250k job
C) comparing MS to JH is hilarious

#979 Prost

Prost

• 37 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 00:01

i cant believe this is a deal ? how the **** are they paying 738m pounds for 10% of the matches ? :confused: :confused:

Advertisement

#980 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 365 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:35

Hmmmm. Bets on how long before Coulthard signs for Sky...?

Coulthard won't sign up for sky even if offered. If I remember correctly he said in an interview that it's too much F1 for him, something along the lines of "I don't want 24 hour sex, or 24 hour Formula 1".

I wonder if Lee will be able to take over Jake's job full time since she also has to do the driver interviews.

#981 baddog

baddog

• 23,526 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:50

I think the empty chair would add more value to the commentary team than he did. Hard to see how a replacement could be worse.

#982 Peat

Peat

• 1,326 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:09

A) why does he need an excuse
B) he's leaving his £250k job for...another £250k job
C) comparing MS to JH is hilarious

D) 95% of Formula One fans (that post on autosport.com) are completely barking mad.

#983 BrendanMcF

BrendanMcF

• 537 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:17

I know from an insider that the new F1 channel is proving to be quite a strain on Sky Sports' budget, belts have been tightened across all of the sports they cover.

#984 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,739 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:20

You're posting rubbish for the sake of having an argument. Grow up.
JH has been earning £250k a year, that's more than several drivers and 90% of the pits crews. For that kind of money he's expected to make some sacrifices. Get over yourself.

I think you need to calm down. Jake is making a sacrifice in the way he is walking away from the F1 circus and straight into another job that suits his needs better. Sacrificing a lead anchor job for F1 on the BBC for the sake of seeing his first childs most important moments is a very valid reason. You can't put a price on that, and the fact you are suggesting he should choose F1 over that is quite frankly selfish and disgusting. Once again, he doesn't owe you or the sport anything and is free to make his own life choices. I also think considering he has covered 4 F1 seasons, it maybe fair to say he's had enough and wanted something new. Comparing him to the team personel who have chosen their careers in F1 is pretty wide of the mark. Nobody forces these people to work in an industry that demnds they spend months away, and they do it because they love doing it. They are also very aware of what the job demands when they start. I know a chap who spent years travelling with various F1 teams and he admits he missed out greatly on his kids growing up. Money can't buy that lost time back.

Family is way more important than you suggest, although everybodies experience of family life is different, but I'm sure Jakes is a happy one.

#985 Peat

Peat

• 1,326 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:23

No, i love my family more than you! So neeeeeh.

#986 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,962 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:16

BT don't have to show the matches on BT vision - they can use another broadcaster. There were rumours that ITV might show the matches. That could change the broadcasting landscape. I hope it happens because SKY have been far too dominant.

I think BBC's current F1 deal is just right for the broadcaster. I don't think they'll get rid of it. It still pulls in viewers.

Edited by Dalton007, 19 September 2012 - 11:17.

#987 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,453 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:20

BT don't have to show the matches on BT vision - they can use another broadcaster. There were rumours that ITV might show the matches. That could change the broadcasting landscape. I hope it happens because SKY have been far too dominant.

I think BBC's current F1 deal is just right for the broadcaster. I don't think they'll get rid of it. It still pulls in viewers.

How will that recoup their outlay? I can't really see ITV paying those sort of amounts per match.

#988 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,962 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:55

How will that recoup their outlay? I can't really see ITV paying those sort of amounts per match.

Advertising and the broadcaster will pay something to BT...? I just don't see people buying BT vision boxes. I suspect it will be a loss whichever way BT play this.

Edited by Dalton007, 19 September 2012 - 11:57.

#989 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,453 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:27

Advertising and the broadcaster will pay something to BT...? I just don't see people buying BT vision boxes. I suspect it will be a loss whichever way BT play this.

That's what I think as well.

#990 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,739 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:39

Maybe BT should have spent the money improving the dreadful service they offer their customers instead?

#991 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 16:31

Jake Humphrey leaving the BBC coverage will have zero affect on the sport of Formula 1. Now, where can i sign the Lee McKenzie for presenter petition?

#992 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 16:50

Jake Humphrey leaving the BBC coverage will have zero affect on the sport of Formula 1. Now, where can i sign the Lee McKenzie for presenter petition?

She needs to do something about the bingo wings.

#993 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 16:52

It's clearly got to be a previous CBBC presenter.

So, Andy Crane or Toby Anstis?

#994 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 16:57

Justin Fletcher would be ideal. Just the right bloke to sort the EJiot.

#995 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 16:59

The one and only Andi Peters and whats Kris Akubussi (sp) doing now a days?

#996 hansmann

hansmann

• 261 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 17:06

Frankly, I think with Lee as the presenter the BBC F1 coverage would be dead in the water .
Not like it's going places anyway ....

#997 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 17:13

T whats Kris Akubussi (sp) doing now a days?

Still talking nonstop.

#998 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 17:54

Just to her to not to flap her arms about. Those eyes :love:

#999 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 17:55

Frankly, I think with Lee as the presenter the BBC F1 coverage would be dead in the water .
Not like it's going places anyway ....

I disagree with your first point but its irrelevant because i agree with your second!

Advertisement

#1000 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,739 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 18:23

I think that's what I like about her. She's a real woman and not a skinny bimbo your average shallow virgin with expectations far above his station would fancy. She is very knowledgeable about the sport and does a good job of presenting. An excellent choice.