Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#1051 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,956 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 18:55

"The last thing you need is a problem with your nuts..." :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

One-liner of the season!

Advertisement

#1052 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 19:56

Crofty still using "lights out away we go"

#1053 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 278 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 20:09

BBC Headline for the race was "Sebastian Vettel wins Singapore Thriller". This got attacked in the comments section of the website and now "Thriller" becomes "Marathon" :lol:

I watched the race today on Sky (as always) but decided to watch the Forum and associated interviews on BBC. I have to say I'm not missing the BBC team after the last 6 months of F1 and if given the choice with like for like coverage next year I'd stay with Sky.

Particularly annoying was a replay I watched of Hamiltons retirement. DC was trying his best to analyse what could have broken and was talking the audience through what Lewis was trying to do but his co-commentator (can't remember his name) was just screaming headline-esque comments over the top of DC's efforts. Cringeworthy, almost Legard standard.

Edited by Fonzey, 23 September 2012 - 20:11.

#1054 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,620 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 20:12

I never used to mind Ted Kravitz too much, but this year it feels like Sky is letting him talk too much and I'm finding him to be really annoying to listen to. He's always really grating and comes across as being pridefully arrogant.

#1055 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 20:47

Crofty still using "lights out away we go"

Oh noes! :cry:

#1056 d246

d246

• 575 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 20:51

BBC Headline for the race was "Sebastian Vettel wins Singapore Thriller". This got attacked in the comments section of the website and now "Thriller" becomes "Marathon" :lol:

I watched the race today on Sky (as always) but decided to watch the Forum and associated interviews on BBC. I have to say I'm not missing the BBC team after the last 6 months of F1 and if given the choice with like for like coverage next year I'd stay with Sky.

Particularly annoying was a replay I watched of Hamiltons retirement. DC was trying his best to analyse what could have broken and was talking the audience through what Lewis was trying to do but his co-commentator (can't remember his name) was just screaming headline-esque comments over the top of DC's efforts. Cringeworthy, almost Legard standard.

Interestingly, I watched BBC in lieu of Sky today and preferred it. Both have strong commentary teams, but I think BBC may just edge it. Nice problem to have, eh?

#1057 d246

d246

• 575 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 20:53

I never used to mind Ted Kravitz too much, but this year it feels like Sky is letting him talk too much and I'm finding him to be really annoying to listen to. He's always really grating and comes across as being pridefully arrogant.

I was never a fan of Ted's delivery and general attitude, but have appreciated his performances and depth of knowledge on the Sky F1 show this year.

#1058 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 714 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 20:57

Felt the exact same way.

#1059 robefc

robefc

• 8,101 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 21:23

Simon Lazenby and Jake out on the tiles together in Singapore, good to see!

Watched the end of the forum, I think Gary Anderson may be the best pundit out there from what I've seen, I like it when brundle joins the sky lot but Hill, Herbert, DC and EJ are all equally useless in my book, quite like Ant on the skypad.

GA comes across with real authority though, actual insight, which is rare from pundits in any sport, Michael Johnson excepted.

Advertisement

#1060 PokePoke

PokePoke

• 146 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 21:29

GA comes across with real authority though, actual insight, which is rare from pundits in any sport, Michael Johnson excepted.

:up:

#1061 g1n

g1n

• 877 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 21:41

Ted K getting P Oed with the camera man during his notebook. :lol:

just watched it, when was that?

#1062 Spillage

Spillage

• 1,053 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 21:46

Agree, although I think he's a different kind of pundit to Ted. Ted is a reporter, whereas GA is an expert in his own right, so while Ted gives an insight into what is about to happen, GA tends to explain why something is happening as it does. I think there's room for people doing both jobs during a race, and that's something I'd like to see in the future

#1063 g1n

g1n

• 877 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 21:46

actually, some time ago I have read what someone wrote about Ted who met him, they said that he was actually pretty stuck up and arrogant in real life. Since then I have been noticing hints of this, also he was a right ass when he interviewed Irvine after Monza 2011, BBC quickly edited that bit out. (note I am not talking about the language, BBC cut the whole Kravitz's bitchy comment out)
watch it here:

Edited by g1n, 23 September 2012 - 21:47.

#1064 F1EC

F1EC

• 864 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:38

So the BBC really do get the best scoops, as well as having the best show. Good for EJ.

#1065 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,436 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:35

I bumped into Ted at Hockenheim in 2006 and he was friendly, not stuck up or arrogant at all.

#1066 MinT

MinT

• 2,105 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:24

Funny how all the people previously lauded on here have gradually had their turn at being slagged off now they have gone to Sky.....

#1067 djned

djned

• 1,042 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:26

so, in the biggest f1 news of the day: psy is performing gangnam style at the korean gp...
http://www.autosport...e.php/id/102903

the coverage has gotten a bit cheesier from both sky and bbc this year - which network will make the best/worst reference to the song? i can definitely see the bbc boys doing a 'yeongam style' dance.

#1068 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,256 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:25

Don't normally post this week-on-week now as most people probably know by now, but The F1 Show is on tonight at 20:00 on Sky Sports F1. With the news today, it should be one of the more interesting editions this year for those, like me, who want their F1 fix. :up:

#1069 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,855 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:43

I wonder if that show will get more than 28k viewers?

#1070 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,256 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:03

I wonder if that show will get more than 28k viewers?

:lol: I would hope that the first showing tonight can be near to 100k in the official figures.

#1071 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,855 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:48

:lol: Fingers crossed

#1072 MinT

MinT

• 2,105 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 17:50

:lol: Fingers crossed

Dont be sarky - you could always watch the 1 hour live show the BBC are putting on tonight.........

#1073 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,482 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:25

Yeah I'm going to tune in later, quite interested in any new driver rumours now that Hamilton has moved. :)

#1074 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,256 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 20:35

Although tifosiMac was being sarcastic, the viewing figures are scarily true, it has only once hit 100k and that was for the launch show. And looking around here, I can't see anyone make any discussion points about anything raised in Sky's programme tonight.

Which was, for the record, a great programme. I'd love to know why people don't watch it when it is in my opinion the best part of the Sky F1 channel by a country mile, Kravitz and Thompson are great as presenters, while they had three good guests in Graeme Lowdon, AUTOSPORT's Jonathan Noble and Martin Brundle. They spent half an hour on Hamilton including Whitmarsh and Brawn extended interviews.

Yet not one of them generated any discussion points on a dedicated F1 forum. If no one on here is watching, then what are the chances of anyone else watching? Zero. If The F1 Show was the worst show ever produced, I might understand the poor viewing figures, but it's not. It just seems odd that a lot of people comment on Sky's product at the weekend yet choose not to watch the best part of the channel.

Illogical.

#1075 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 20:46

Yet not one of them generated any discussion points on a dedicated F1 forum. If no one on here is watching, then what are the chances of anyone else watching? Zero. If The F1 Show was the worst show ever produced, I might understand the poor viewing figures, but it's not. It just seems odd that a lot of people comment on Sky's product at the weekend yet choose not to watch the best part of the channel.

Illogical.

TV programme on Friday night - pah, most people have a life outside of F1. Bet there are fewer posts made here on Fridays than any other day of the week. Today excluded.

#1076 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,271 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 21:00

Although tifosiMac was being sarcastic, the viewing figures are scarily true, it has only once hit 100k and that was for the launch show. And looking around here, I can't see anyone make any discussion points about anything raised in Sky's programme tonight.

Which was, for the record, a great programme. I'd love to know why people don't watch it when it is in my opinion the best part of the Sky F1 channel by a country mile, Kravitz and Thompson are great as presenters, while they had three good guests in Graeme Lowdon, AUTOSPORT's Jonathan Noble and Martin Brundle. They spent half an hour on Hamilton including Whitmarsh and Brawn extended interviews.

Illogical.

I normally don't watch it because I'm usually at work or on my way home when it is on.

Watched it tonight though. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Only complaint? It could have done with being 15 minutes longer.

#1077 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 22:08

I took advantage of her indoors going out. I've had a night of FIFA and watched the F1 show. I'm living the dream.

To be fair I always record it then watch it. It's F1 so I'll always it.

#1078 Spillage

Spillage

• 1,053 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 22:40

Illogical.

Its like Coulthard said. Round-the-clock F1 is just too much, especially when the show is repeated many times the following week anyway.

#1079 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 22:46

Although my access to the F1 channel is sporadic at best, I'd agree with those saying that it's simply timing - I love F1 but I've got other things to do on Friday at 8pm. And even though the general quality may be good, it's not like they are going to air any unmissable features during the show instead of the race coverage. It's an added bonus but not a necessity, which is why other things take priority. I don't think that's illogical at all.

Advertisement

#1080 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,453 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 23:06

Illogical.

It's the TV licence terrestrial TV based culture we have in this country. If we had a more market driven TV system then that natural diversity would probably encourage more variety in viewing habits. As it is now, you pay your licence and sit down and watch Corri then Eastenders which is all rather depressing.

I think it's a deep cultural behavioral type thing. hence why even those with Sky don't tune it. It's like an 'effort' to watch something different than BBC/ITV on Friday evening at 7pm. I would almost guarantee that if the BBC produces such a program on BBc2, it's viewing figures would be far more impressive and all this talk of "I got a life, better things to do on a Friday evening" would evaporate. And of course we'd get the "the BBC is amazing doing this" bollocks we always get when they do stuff that's not all that unique or special.

#1081 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 00:13

It's the TV licence terrestrial TV based culture we have in this country. If we had a more market driven TV system then that natural diversity would probably encourage more variety in viewing habits. As it is now, you pay your licence and sit down and watch Corri then Eastenders which is all rather depressing.

I think it's a deep cultural behavioral type thing. hence why even those with Sky don't tune it. It's like an 'effort' to watch something different than BBC/ITV on Friday evening at 7pm. I would almost guarantee that if the BBC produces such a program on BBc2, it's viewing figures would be far more impressive and all this talk of "I got a life, better things to do on a Friday evening" would evaporate. And of course we'd get the "the BBC is amazing doing this" bollocks we always get when they do stuff that's not all that unique or special.

Is that supposed to make sense? Have you been on the pop?
No one is forced to watch a soap.
WTF is market driven tv? London adspeak?
Don't you want or believe people have a life outside of following F1 or watching the box?

#1082 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,453 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:15

Is that supposed to make sense? Have you been on the pop?
No one is forced to watch a soap.
WTF is market driven tv? London adspeak?
Don't you want or believe people have a life outside of following F1 or watching the box?

It's quite a simple concept and I will make it as simple as I can for you.

If the BBC had a BBC2 7pm Friday night F1 show it would attract far far far more viewers and you won't have people coming on forums saying they've got 'better' things to do. Everyone would come on here saying how amazing it is that the BBC can do that. I can guarentee that! We've even had people come on the forum and say they have 'better things to do' on a Sunday afternoon and are happy for the non-live BBC coverage. We never never never heard this before the Sky F1 buy-out. For some the BBC is like a religion. Whatever they do is great, and if anyone else does something similar it's stupid.

Someone said it was illogical the F1 show has been a ratings disaster. It's quite logical...

#1083 robefc

robefc

• 8,101 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:02

Illogical.

Just watched it (I don't understand people saying they have better things to do when there's been a method of recording tv programmes for about 30 years).

For me the trouble is it adds very little, it's a very well put together programme and ted and georgie are very good, if I didn't have the internet then it would be a worthwhile watch but as it is I didn't learn anything I hadn't already read.

Good that they get some decent guests on rather than listening to Herbert and Hill's complete lack of insight. The Lotus engineer is my favourite, very direct.

#1084 FredF1

FredF1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:05

If the BBC had a BBC2 7pm Friday night F1 show it would attract far far far more viewers and you won't have people coming on forums saying they've got 'better' things to do. Everyone would come on here saying how amazing it is that the BBC can do that. I can guarentee that! We've even had people come on the forum and say they have 'better things to do' on a Sunday afternoon and are happy for the non-live BBC coverage. We never never never heard this before the Sky F1 buy-out. For some the BBC is like a religion. Whatever they do is great, and if anyone else does something similar it's stupid.

Someone said it was illogical the F1 show has been a ratings disaster. It's quite logical...

Err, I've been only half-interested in F1 for several years now so am quite happy to skip live races on the BBC when I've something better to do. I've been saying this for years so that's you proved wrong about nobody saying this pre-Sky. I can afford the Sky F1 channel but choose not to as I'm not interested enough in roundy-roundy cars to pay the extra whack. Oh, and outside of their F1 coverage, BBC1 is on my "Don't care if it fell off my channel menu tomorrow as I rarely watch it" list of dull (IMHO) channels list anyway.

#1085 P123

P123

• 8,706 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:14

Illogical.

I don't think there are that many fans who would go out of their way to watch extras next to the actual race broadcast, which Sky are no doubt now finding out. I agree with you that it is an excellent programme. I think the likes of GP2 also suffered poor viewing figures when on ITV4? How many pay attention to Inside F1 on the BBC? The market of die-hard F1 fans is obviously small.

As for it not generating any discussion on the forum, perhaps that is more an indication of the state of the forum itself? Most of the comment appears to be taken from people's colourful imaginations, rather than being based on what those at the centre of events say.

Edited by P123, 29 September 2012 - 11:17.

#1086 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:42

The vast majority of tv viewers in the UK don't have Sky. A F1 programme on the BBC would be new to them, if it was good, they would say so. They may choose to carry on watching Soaps, because as you believe, we're force by culture into doing that.
People do have other things to do at weekends. Watching highlights at a reasonable time is great for them.

Not everyone who follows/watches F1 is a fanatic. The views posted on this and other F1 forums do not represent those of the majority.

#1087 techspeed

techspeed

• 372 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 13:40

The TV licence is not unique to the UK, in fact most countries in Europe help fund their public broadcaster with a TV licence fee, some fees considerably higher than in the UK.
If we abandoned the TV licence fee and let the BBC be "market driven", we would all be complaining about all the adverts during the race. The only reason Sky runs races ad free is that they know that on weekends when races are also shown on the BBC when adverts came on everyone would switch over.

There is a tiny minority who will watch everything F1 whatever and whenever it is shown. Whether people have "better things to do" is irrelevant. I'm a big f1 fan, but these days I only turn on the TV at most 15 minutes before qualifying or the race, and turn off soon after as I can read or watch all the interviews and news online when I want to. I used to watch the BBCs F1 forum in the first year when it had a proper after race discussion in various teams hospitality areas, but abandoned it when it turned into having a laugh with the crowds and grabbing anyone passing as they stroll along the paddock - that's 'market driven' programming in action, catering to the masses.

#1088 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 16:29

As the person who said I'd have better things to do, I can assure you that I am perfectly capable of speaking for myself, and yes I would say the same thing if it was on BBC2 instead of Sky F1.

Which is almost a moot point, because it would never be on BBC2 on a Friday evening as there just isn't enough interest in such a programme for that to make sense in terms of viewing figures - F1 doesn't have anywhere near the popularity of the likes of football. Look how much the BBC have cut down on Inside F1 - that's gone from a proper programme in a studio in 2009 to 10 minutes of Lee in the paddock today. They realised that it was a waste of money and I'm sure Sky do now. I wouldn't be surprised if The F1 Show is reduced to race weekends only for next year.

#1089 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,855 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 13:44

If the BBC had a BBC2 7pm Friday night F1 show it would attract far far far more viewers and you won't have people coming on forums saying they've got 'better' things to do. Everyone would come on here saying how amazing it is that the BBC can do that. I can guarentee that!

I'm not doubting the F1 show on Sky is a great, well put together program. If it was on BBC I would most likely record it and watch it late at night, or watch it the following morning before I go out for the day. Theres no doubt it would attract many more viewers but that is because its got a wider audience base. Most F1 fans in the UK don't have access to the F1 channel so viewing figures will always speak for themselves. Many of us also are generally busy on Friday nights too, and I don't know why you think that notion is a fabrication? When you've been working all week, its nice to socialize with friends or family knowing you haven't got to get up the following morning. People might enjoy a glass of wine with their partners rather than sitting down and watching an hour program discussing F1. It doesn't appeal to everybody.

We've even had people come on the forum and say they have 'better things to do' on a Sunday afternoon and are happy for the non-live BBC coverage. We never never never heard this before the Sky F1 buy-out. For some the BBC is like a religion. Whatever they do is great, and if anyone else does something similar it's stupid.

You make it sound like some of us are suddenly only recording the races because Sky have the better broadcast deal? The fact of the matter is I have been recording the races for years and years and watching them a few hours delayed. I don't live in student digs, spend my Sundays nursing a hangover, or live on my own (not saying every F1 is). I am a married man who enjoys spending time with my wife on the two days a week where neither of us are working. I record the race because I would rather be out and about doing enjoyable social things during a Sunday afternoon. I'm not saying people who do watch every race live are sad or pathetic, but we all have different responsibilities and different levels of need when it comes to F1. Not all of us watch the race and then spend several hours, often into a Sunday evening arguing on here.

PS: I'm not generally pro BBC to the point I would stand up for them as a broadcaster. I've sent many complaints into them over the years and would happily see them dropped in favour of better value for money broadcasting. I do however think the quality of their F1 coverage is very good, and has remained good even though 25% of the coverage has been lost.

#1090 Fourjays

Fourjays

• 242 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 14:10

The only reason Sky runs races ad free is that they know that on weekends when races are also shown on the BBC when adverts came on everyone would switch over.

I don't think so. From what I've observed on some other sports they cover, any adverts are tactically inserted according to the sport. For example, in the tennis they show single adverts between points. I could see them showing adverts during safety car periods in the future, but I'd be surprised if they ever did it ITV-style.

#1091 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,271 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 21:57

Why am I expecting the BBC coverage to have Gangnam Style in the build up for the Korean GP?

I'm just picturing Jake, Eddie and DC. :lol:

#1092 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,482 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 23:10

Why am I expecting the BBC coverage to have Gangnam Style in the build up for the Korean GP?

I'm just picturing Jake, Eddie and DC. :lol:

You and me shared the same thought. :lol:

I have read that the guy who did the song is actually going to be at the race, so not doing it will turn out to be a huge disappointment. :p

#1093 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,256 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 18:38

Seeing as no one has noted it.... Britain's Next F1 Star, tonight and every Thursday before a GP from 19:30 to 20:00. Six part series on SSF1.

#1094 Moore

Moore

• 400 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 22:49

Have the BBC got live coverage for this GP?

#1095 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,453 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 22:51

Have the BBC got live coverage for this GP?

no

#1096 Moore

Moore

• 400 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 22:53

no

Cheers, guess I'll have to watch it on Sky GO then.

#1097 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,852 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 00:27

So Sky has decided to upgrade Sky Go for a few hours, with around 10 minutes to go until FP1, meaning no one can watch it online.....Bravo!

Edited by Kvothe, 05 October 2012 - 00:31.

#1098 F1EC

F1EC

• 864 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 13:17

I used to watch the BBCs F1 forum in the first year when it had a proper after race discussion in various teams hospitality areas, but abandoned it when it turned into having a laugh with the crowds and grabbing anyone passing as they stroll along the paddock - that's 'market driven' programming in action, catering to the masses.

Glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this. They seem to enjoy engaging with fans at the track, but they're not giving anything to their viewers at home, and I thought that was supposed to be their main objective.

#1099 F1EC

F1EC

• 864 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 13:18

Where's EJ this weekend?

Advertisement

#1100 stewie

stewie

• 520 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 15:51

His head has grown so big from correctly stating Hamilton would go to Mercedes, that he couldn't get on the plane...