• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#1101 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,142 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 16:55

Where's EJ this weekend?

Highlights weekend, so he's not there - he's only been at two (Australia - opening race; Italy - Hamilton story)

Advertisement

#1102 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,649 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 17:58

So the 'Times' reckon Lee Mac will take over main anchor for 2013, but are betting on none other than Chris Evans as having a good chance.

#1103 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 18:14

McKenzie is surely a shoe-in for the role? Although, Evans would probably fit in well with DC and EJ, and has a decent understanding of F1 and its history. Doubt he'd want to give up his morning breakfast show on Radio 2 though.

#1104 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,649 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 18:19

Well, I'm just grateful that the beeb are not ditching the thing altogether. Chris would be interesting, I know he's a genuine fan. I like Lee, not convinced she's anchor material though.

#1105 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 18:27

Nor am I. She seems very wooden when in front of the camera - much better as a reporter, where she has a good rapport with just about every driver.

#1106 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,723 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:47

Nor am I. She seems very wooden when in front of the camera - much better as a reporter, where she has a good rapport with just about every driver.

yeah she seems uncomfortable in that role, she's much better with handjobs

I mean interviews :smoking:

#1107 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,734 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:00

The BBC's attitude to F1 still amazes me.

People in such places as Canada can watch ALL the races LIVE via the BBC

yet the people who pay £140+py on a licence fee only have access to 50% of the races LIVE.

Really.. you can't make this stuff up.. lol

#1108 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:05

They're not watching it "via the BBC," but through their local broadcasters who happen to use the Beeb's commentary. Presumably they have ongoing contracts with these other broadcasters.

#1109 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:06

So the 'Times' reckon Lee Mac will take over main anchor for 2013, but are betting on none other than Chris Evans as having a good chance.

Will Buxtons contract is up at the end of the season and he said he like to do some presenting, I'd like him on SKY's coverage instead of Lazenby.

#1110 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,734 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:10

They're not watching it "via the BBC," but through their local broadcasters who happen to use the Beeb's commentary. Presumably they have ongoing contracts with these other broadcasters.

But they have the BBC feed with the BBC commentators.. word it how you like, its still a slap in the face for licence paying F1 fans.

#1111 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:12

Or those with an axe to grind...

#1112 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:15

But they have the BBC feed with the BBC commentators.. word it how you like, its still a slap in the face for licence paying F1 fans.

You seem clueless
there's no BBC feed just FOM feed with BBC commentary
Other broadcasters pay for that commentary and BBC makes money from it so it benefits the license payer

#1113 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,014 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 21:46

I got a bit of grief earlier in this thread for claiming it was the cost of BBC Olympic coverage which forced them to give up their old F1 rights.

In addition, they gave up Thursday and Friday's of the Masters. In addition, I've no discovered that they have lost the rights to all horse racing from 2013 onwards. In addition, they won't even put up enough money to cover tomorrow's Prix de l'Arc. The BBC's sports budget is in bits due to the Olympics. I certainly hope the memories were good cause they'll have to last about 3 years I suspect.

#1114 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 695 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 21:57

You seem clueless
there's no BBC feed just FOM feed with BBC commentary
Other broadcasters pay for that commentary and BBC makes money from it so it benefits the license payer

I don't know if it is like this but if they get a live build up by the BBC and all their pit lane bits during the race then I'd say that counts as a BBC feed.

#1115 techspeed

techspeed

• 372 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:10

I don't know if it is like this but if they get a live build up by the BBC and all their pit lane bits during the race then I'd say that counts as a BBC feed.

They don't get anything from the BBC except the in race commentary, the audio feed. They get no pictures at all from the BBC as the race is provided by FOM and they just add the BBC commentary over the top of it. No Eddie, Jake and DC at the beginning and end, no driver interviews from Lee after the race, nothing. If the BBC TV didn't show F1 then they would do exactly the same using the Radio 5 Live commentary instead. They buy the BBC commentary because it's cheaper for the various English speaking countries to buy the BBC commentary than to send their own pair of commentators to each race, and it helps the BBC afford to show F1 in the UK.

#1116 WatchingF1since4yearsold

WatchingF1since4yearsold

• 250 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:11

if that **** Evans get's the gig I will boycott any BBC coverage of F1, can't stand him.

anyway, I will watch the races all live on Sky.

#1117 WatchingF1since4yearsold

WatchingF1since4yearsold

• 250 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:14

I got a bit of grief earlier in this thread for claiming it was the cost of BBC Olympic coverage which forced them to give up their old F1 rights.

In addition, they gave up Thursday and Friday's of the Masters. In addition, I've no discovered that they have lost the rights to all horse racing from 2013 onwards. In addition, they won't even put up enough money to cover tomorrow's Prix de l'Arc. The BBC's sports budget is in bits due to the Olympics. I certainly hope the memories were good cause they'll have to last about 3 years I suspect.

probably true, the Olympics were dull as **** anyway, the fact the BBC wasted so much money on them is a joke, all that for 2 weeks of shitty sports instead of 4 years of good sport like the F1/golf, geez.

#1118 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:14

There's no BBC live build up when they don't broadcast the race live

#1119 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:15

They don't get anything from the BBC except the in race commentary, the audio feed. They get no pictures at all from the BBC as the race is provided by FOM and they just add the BBC commentary over the top of it. No Eddie, Jake and DC at the beginning and end, no driver interviews from Lee after the race, nothing. If the BBC TV didn't show F1 then they would do exactly the same using the Radio 5 Live commentary instead. They buy the BBC commentary because it's cheaper for the various English speaking countries to buy the BBC commentary than to send their own pair of commentators to each race, and it helps the BBC afford to show F1 in the UK.

Thank you that would have sufficed :up:

Advertisement

#1120 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,901 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:16

I would love Chris Evans. He is a funny guy, would have good banter with EJ and DC (I guess that is needed) and it a genuine motorsports fan in general. I see I have repeated these same reasons, but the BBC would be making a very good move if it happened.

But I think he is the highest paid DJ/BBC employee or something so it will be tough to get him on the F1, budget wise especially going by their cuts.

#1121 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 407 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:24

They don't get anything from the BBC except the in race commentary, the audio feed. They get no pictures at all from the BBC as the race is provided by FOM and they just add the BBC commentary over the top of it. No Eddie, Jake and DC at the beginning and end

Sounds heavenly to me. If only I could emigrate to Canada.

#1122 Les

Les

• 2,059 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:28

Can we agree Chris can get the gig if he agrees to put Dunlop Bridge back in its place?

#1123 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 5,998 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 23:52

probably true, the Olympics were dull as **** anyway, the fact the BBC wasted so much money on them is a joke, all that for 2 weeks of shitty sports instead of 4 years of good sport like the F1/golf, geez.

I can guarantee you both that the majority of people would think that spending money to broadcast the home Olympics at the cost of all those sports was the correct decision, should that truly be the reason.

#1124 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:23

I would love Chris Evans. He is a funny guy, would have good banter with EJ and DC (I guess that is needed) and it a genuine motorsports fan in general. I see I have repeated these same reasons, but the BBC would be making a very good move if it happened.

But I think he is the highest paid DJ/BBC employee or something so it will be tough to get him on the F1, budget wise especially going by their cuts.

But Evans loves F1 and Motorsport, it could be his idea of a dream job, certainly worth swapping early mornings for.

And Chris Moyles could step into those Radio2 shoes

#1125 john ruston

john ruston

• 949 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:47

But Evans loves F1 and Motorsport, it could be his idea of a dream job, certainly worth swapping early mornings for.

And Chris Moyles could step into those Radio2 shoes

What planet are you people on?
Chris Evans is not going to give up his kings ransom for small change of Beeb F 1 coverage.
The Olympics were so much more important to the average viewer and license payer than any F 1 stuff.An audience of up to 28 million and far higher than any G P on a daily basis.
Sky provides the coverage that is now missing from Beeb but the loss of Arc,Ascot ,Test cricket and all the other stuff is annoying but whilst the politians and bean counters control purse strings more sport will be lost from Beeb .
It is only a matter of time before it loses F1 completely along with all golf coverage.

#1126 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,734 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:53

The BBC shouldn't bother looking for a replacement, simply drop F1 totally.

No point in showing 50% of the season, it's pointless.
(And no, delayed edited-highlights don't count)

#1127 FredF1

FredF1

• 1,950 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:47

Or move to Ireland. I watched the race live on Setanta this morning with the BBC commentary. Other than a very short ad break mid-race, it's like watching the BBC version only without the tedious pre and post race banter.

#1128 F1EC

F1EC

• 857 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:30

I watched the race live on Setanta this morning with the BBC commentary. Other than a very short ad break mid-race, it's like watching the BBC version only without the tedious pre and post race banter.

Thanks for the tip. I don't like the Croft/Brundle pairing. I appreciate how difficult it is to keep an eye on everything and talk at the same time, so it's not the errors that annoy me. I keep trying them, but they're just not to my taste

On another topic, according to my digiguide schedule, the highlights on BBC 1 at 2.05pm are 2 hours long, but on channel 301 (freeview) at 17.10 they're listed as being 2hr 40 mins long. Does anyone know why? (apologies if this has already been discussed).

#1129 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,014 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:14

I can guarantee you both that the majority of people would think that spending money to broadcast the home Olympics at the cost of all those sports was the correct decision, should that truly be the reason.

Let's see what people think in about 2 years time when there's virtually no sport left on the BBC.

Live football - None that I can think of
Golf - Only things left are the Open and the last two days of the Masters
Horse Racing - Completely gone
World Athletics Championships - Lost the next two championships to Channel 4

I have no doubt that on top of this, they'll dump Moto GP once their current contract comes to an end. The BBC when signing the original contract decided that it also needed to be exclusive, robbing us of Eurosport coverage which I think most poeple always preferred. The BBC commentary team is shit compared to the Eurosport team.

#1130 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:51

Chris Evans is an F1 fan and would be good at the job I'm sure, but he is also a family man with a recent addition to his family. I doubt he would wish to spend months of the year away from all that just to cover something which he has the money to attend should he want to anyway. I listen to his radio 2 show every morning and its clear he enjoys his job as it allows him to get home and spend time with his children. I defended Jake in his decision for similar reasons. Family is way more important.

The BBC are showing 75% of the season now, so its more than you suggest. Highlights do count for some of us as we have no choice if we wish to watch. The highlights today were top notch even though I knew the result.

#1131 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:48

Let's hope Chris Evans doesn't get caught knocking one off, if gets the job.

#1132 KavB

KavB

• 1,053 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:16

It's so annoying that the BBC doesn't show the podium ceremony. I actually think the highlight package is not so bad, today certainly felt like I watched the full race distance but it would have been nice to see Vettel talking with Kamui and Felipe and seeing the emotions of the latter two drivers.

#1133 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:21

Wow. Call it a hunch, but I think Auntie Beeb's no longer on your Christmas card list.

#1134 Psymon

Psymon

• 725 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:31

As I watch the Sky coverage I can't remember if this is relevant or not but (apologies if it isn't), something that may affect non-freeview viewers of the BBC coverage in the future:

Sky, FreeSat & Virgin are being reduced down to one video stream on the red button - with the intention that people have to use online content instead of the dropped feeds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...on_changes.html

On 15th October the video component of BBC Red Button on Sky, FreeSat and Virgin Media will be reduced from five to one stream, bringing it in line with our Freeview offer. We are doing this because these services rely entirely on linear broadcast technologies, which are not cost-effective for an interactive service like the red button. At the end of this post, I've summarised the background to the decision and provided links to relevant documents which expand on the reasoning behind reducing the number of video streams.

#1135 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,466 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:52

Be careful what you wish for - if the Beeb dropped F1 there would be no disincentive to Sky ramping up the cost of F1 or having advert breaks during the race.

#1136 fred54

fred54

• 192 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:23

DC on the highlights today, had a real LOL moment when he mocked Hulkenberg 's weepy/sulky radio message about losing performance when getting close to Hamilton.

#1137 pRy

pRy

• 10,825 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:38

I can't see Chris dropping his radio gig for F1. It would be too much like hard work for him to go around the world following the F1 circus. Lee will do a fine job.. she's perfectly qualified and has the experience. There is no need to look around.

Crofty made some big errors today. At one point he suggested the London marathon goes under tower bridge?!?! last time I checked the only thing that goes under tower bridge is water. Some other small errors that were obvious.

I still think Coulthard and Brundle are the best commentary pairing. It's a shame DC didn't follow him to Sky.

#1138 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:53

Crofty made some big errors today. At one point he suggested the London marathon goes under tower bridge?!?! last time I checked the only thing that goes under tower bridge is water. Some other small errors that were obvious.

you can walk under the tower bridge near its beginning/end, I know as I have recently walked under it. Whether marathon people run there I have no idea.

#1139 RC127

RC127

• 913 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:59

I quite like the coverage that TSN provide.

I *really* was impressed that during the MASSIVE rain delay at Silverstone during qualifying, they stayed with the FOM World Feed the whole time (and something they do quite frequently) they just keep the BBC audio going the whole time. So you hear everything Jake, Eddie and D.C. might say - okay you know you are missing inserted pictures from the BBC's local cameras in the paddock/pitlane, but when you are getting all of the BBC's excellent analysis (including Lee and Gary) then it is a small price to pay...

Advertisement

#1140 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:30

He was referring to the cobblestone section that runs over Traitors Gate, outside The Tower of London. It was in every London Marathon until 2005.

#1141 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,597 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:47

I've been very impressed with Sam Bird as the BBC's colour commentator in practice this weekend.

#1142 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,588 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:25

When are(or are) Hill coming back?

#1143 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,723 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:14

I've been very impressed with Sam Bird as the BBC's colour commentator in practice this weekend.

Me too, he made it possible to listen to practice with that tit Legard in the booth.

#1144 WonderboyF1

WonderboyF1

• 115 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:47

A bit of childish actions from the boys at Sky at the end of the coverage with the Webber interview. Can anyone tell me if that was Lana del rey, in the Ferrari garage?

#1145 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,417 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:53

A bit of childish actions from the boys at Sky at the end of the coverage with the Webber interview. Can anyone tell me if that was Lana del rey, in the Ferrari garage?

what did they do?

Terrible tv direction today particularly in Q1 and Q2. They wiould miss a driver doing a hot lap because they were showing someone on a slow lap, then finally go to that driver after he has finished his hot lap and is on a slow down, and show their timing as well. :drunk:

#1146 LB

LB

• 12,474 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:30

It certainly used to go under tower bridge on the embankment side of the river. Hasn't for a while now though

#1147 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 293 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 16:59

Enjoyed having full coverage on the Beeb again this weekend! Peerless IMO.

Aside from the racing, and certainly not for some of the 'purists' here, I found this funny: Jake, Eddie and DC; Gangnam Styleee!

Edited by BillyWhizz, 15 October 2012 - 11:22.

#1148 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,799 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:12

We'll have forgotten about that by the start of the next season. We could probably say the same for Humphrey.

#1149 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 407 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:25

Aside from the racing, the highlight for me was- Jake, Eddie and DC; Gangnam Styleee!

A perfect reminder for me as to why I turn on with 5 minutes to go, and off after the champagne spraying.

If I wanted scripted, unamusing, self indulgent drivel from three "odd coupled" irritants, I'd watch Top Gear.

#1150 united2010

united2010

• 82 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:35

That was probably Alonso's Russian girlfriend that you seen