Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#1151 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:26

I get the impression that Brundle can't stand Crofty and his 'banter'.

DC to sky next year?

Advertisement

#1152 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,552 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:28

I get the impression that Brundle can't stand Crofty and his 'banter'.

DC to sky next year?

Don't tempt it. I want DC exactly where he is, he's doing a great job on the Beeb.

#1153 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,717 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:45

Certainly thought DC's gridwalk today outdid the ever familiar Martin Brundle one.

#1154 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,717 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:47

That was probably Alonso's Russian girlfriend that you seen

Yeah, saw her in the garage during one of the sessions. Stunning woman.

#1155 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,723 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 20:21

She's cute better than Alonso's ex.

#1156 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 1,916 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 22:55

It's a love hate relationship for some but I thoroughly enjoy the banter the BBC crew seem to have with almost everyone in the paddock. Extremely entertaining.

#1157 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,717 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:50

It's a love hate relationship for some but I thoroughly enjoy the banter the BBC crew seem to have with almost everyone in the paddock. Extremely entertaining.

If it's on the BBC, I watch Qualy and the race. I still watch the practice sessions on Sky usually (unless I am at home during them)

A few things on Sky annoy me. Notably yesterday, the way Ted Kravitz came across (as if he owned the paddock)

All in all though, it is a great choice to have.

#1158 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,552 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:12

Don't worry there will soon be someone here with higher standards who will claim she is ugly like many have done with Hamilton's girlfriend. :lol:

#1159 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,552 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:14

All in all though, it is a great choice to have.

If you have access to both that is.

Advertisement

#1160 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,717 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:17

If you have access to both that is.

True - should have added that!

#1161 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,835 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:17

Don't worry there will soon be someone here with higher standards who will claim she is ugly like many have done with Hamilton's girlfriend. :lol:

While Lewis's girl is far from ugly, her worst feature is that she's brain-dead, I'm sure he can do so much better than someone who couldn't outwit a used teabag.

#1162 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,552 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:37

While Lewis's girl is far from ugly, her worst feature is that she's brain-dead, I'm sure he can do so much better than someone who couldn't outwit a used teabag.

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently. There will soon be people needlessly finding fault just for a dig I should have said.

#1163 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:41

She is gorgeous, I most definately would let her remove my wig

Edited by Wiggy, 15 October 2012 - 11:44.

#1164 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,552 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:51

She is gorgeous, I most definately would let her remove my wig

Shhh Eddie, most people don't know you have a series of wigs!! Keep it stum. ;)

Edited by tifosiMac, 15 October 2012 - 11:51.

#1165 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:58

I was streaming the race and the BBC coverage was acting up for me so I looked for a Sky Sports steam and I really find Crofty irritating these days, I don't know, it's just his voice and mannerism is too excitable for me

#1166 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,163 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 15:44

Max Mosley is the guest on The F1 Show, Friday at 8pm on Sky Sports F1.

#1167 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 355 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 16:27

:eek: I wonder if they are doing any 'special' for him on the show.

#1168 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 16:47

A few things on Sky annoy me. Notably yesterday, the way Ted Kravitz came across (as if he owned the paddock)

After watching Sky coverage for almost every race this season, I can safely say that Ted Kravitz is like that every weekend. I never used to mind him, but Sky is letting him do too much and his arrogance is getting the better of him now. :down:

Edited by UPRC, 17 October 2012 - 16:58.

#1169 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 16:53

The potential for good TV is limitless with Spanky, but in reality it's probably going to be an arse-licking like all the other Mosley interviews..

Would be entertaining if Brundle was there to ask a couple of questions though.. :lol:

Edited by Slowinfastout, 17 October 2012 - 16:56.

#1170 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 22:34

Yeah I turned it on and there he was :down: :down: :down: :down:

Switched to the motor cycling instead.

#1171 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,088 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 23:15

I thought Mosley was a great guest. The problem with the F1 shows that aren't on race weekends, or when it's been a slow newsweek, is it tends to be just a rehash of the things we've been talking about here all week. Having someone who can give an unique insight makes a much more interesting show, simply due to the breadth of things that can be discussed.

#1172 WonderboyF1

WonderboyF1

• 115 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 22:30

Just watched a re-run of the European Gp, what a great way to spend a Saturday night in, better Tv than the usual X-factor rubbish! Gets my vote as best race of the year so far, never thought in a million years Valencia would be worthy of carrying that tag!

#1173 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,916 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:41

Having seen coverage on both channels, I can safely say that the BBC are miles ahead of SKY. I think I prefer the laid back attitude and the smaller team of presenters. SKY have this tabloid, glossy approach that just doesn't work for me.

#1174 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 13:40

IMO the whole tone and feel of Sky's coverage is completely outclassed by BBC, I guess you'd put that under 'artistic direction'. I find Sky's to be quite crass, in your face and patronising, like they're trying too hard to make it 'exciting' e.g. constant references to the 6 WDC's, lots of quick fire clips of fist pumping, screaming and animated radio messages with added reverb for dramatic effect. And there's a ton of filler, nobody needs 1hr30mins build up ffs. If it wasn't for Brundle and having every race live, I can't see anything which would draw me to Sky over BBC.

#1175 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,233 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 14:17

Having seen coverage on both channels, I can safely say that the BBC are miles ahead of SKY. I think I prefer the laid back attitude and the smaller team of presenters. SKY have this tabloid, glossy approach that just doesn't work for me.

I don't think you can safely say that at all. It all depends on your own preferences. But as the BBC are missing large chunks of the main event then for me they can never be judged as ahead.

#1176 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,233 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 14:40

I don't think you can safely say that at all. It all depends on your own preferences. But as the BBC are missing large chunks of the main event then for me they can never be judged as ahead.

#1177 Fourjays

Fourjays

• 240 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 14:48

I've not noticed anything tabloid-like to Sky's coverage this season. Loads more technical analysis than the BBC's three-men mucking about format from last year (I've not bothered this year - I stopped watching their pre/post-race coverage about five races into 2011).

#1178 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,916 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 14:48

They've got the main stories covered, though. SKY coverage is bloated - and I don't like it much. And I like that they were wrongfooted over the Lewis move. They are not well connected like Eddie Jordan is.

#1179 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 14:49

Them races hours after the race has ended means they will never be ahead. The Beeb screwed British F1 fans, yet still get treated like they are next coming.

Oh and that legendary presenter, who loves F1 so much, couldn't wait to ef away to present 2nd rate premier league games on a tv package 3 people will have.

Edited by chrisblades85, 21 October 2012 - 14:50.

Advertisement

#1180 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,233 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 16:36

They've got the main stories covered, though. SKY coverage is bloated - and I don't like it much. And I like that they were wrongfooted over the Lewis move. They are not well connected like Eddie Jordan is.

You don't have to watch it all and having less doesn't equal better, but as I said the main thing is the race and BBC are sadly lacking. Late highlights might meet some peoples expectations, but fall short for me. Even if I don't watch the race live I do at least want to watch the whole race.

#1181 MinT

MinT

• 2,011 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 16:41

You can "safely say" what you like, but besides sounding very smug, it is only your opinion and not fact...hopefully you will carry on liking the BBC coverage as it slowly winds down.

#1182 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,916 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 19:02

You don't have to watch it all and having less doesn't equal better, but as I said the main thing is the race and BBC are sadly lacking. Late highlights might meet some peoples expectations, but fall short for me. Even if I don't watch the race live I do at least want to watch the whole race.

I don't watch all of it. I start from the Brundle walk, up to 3 hours, then catch up with anything I miss during the week. I have SKY, so I do watch the races BBC don't cover live, but there's no contest when it comes to dual live coverage. BBC all the way. :up:

#1183 DN5

DN5

• 276 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 19:07

One thing about the Sky coverage I love is: Tooned!

I have had many a laugh watching that.

Geoff

#1184 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 19:22

I don't watch all of it. I start from the Brundle walk, up to 3 hours, then catch up with anything I miss during the week. I have SKY, so I do watch the races BBC don't cover live, but there's no contest when it comes to dual live coverage. BBC all the way. :up:

BBC's coverage is good and so is Sky's, almost equally so in my opinion but that is all it is, an opinion.

For me Sky's coverage has been the better of the two, the pre/post race coverage is similar but during the race i prefer Crofty & Brundle's measured, intelligent approach over Edward's incessant screaming/shouting approach. Plus Sky have a dedicated channel, i spent this afternoon watching the 2005 season review between the BTCC/WSR races, Friday i watched the F1 show. Sky are far more dedicated to F1 & Motorsport than the BBC who a more bothered about pleasing Joe "gimme a singing contest" Bloggs and that comes across in the quality and quantity of the coverage, if i wanted to watch three blokes cocking around i'd put Top Gear on. Its an F1 race, not an entertainment show, the Formula One is the entertainment, not the presenters, Sky understand that, the BBC don't. But thats just my opinion.

#1185 F1EC

F1EC

• 863 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 20:37

IMO the whole tone and feel of Sky's coverage is completely outclassed by BBC, I guess you'd put that under 'artistic direction'. I find Sky's to be quite crass, in your face and patronising, like they're trying too hard to make it 'exciting' e.g. constant references to the 6 WDC's, lots of quick fire clips of fist pumping, screaming and animated radio messages with added reverb for dramatic effect. And there's a ton of filler, nobody needs 1hr30mins build up ffs. If it wasn't for Brundle and having every race live, I can't see anything which would draw me to Sky over BBC.

Agreed. Personally though, I'm glad that Brundle left the BBC. Coulthard has blossomed without him, and the commentary is less biased and more relaxed.

I do watch Sky occasionally, but it's like fingernails on a blackboard for me. I watch the race (and Tooned) but I can't stomach the rest of it, and I'm seriously thinking of having a radio commentary on and just watching the video. The style grates on me.

I do take the point of the person who said that the BBC, as an organisation, let us down, and I agree. But the people who make the programmes seem to be putting their heart and soul into them. They deserved the awards they got in the past, and I think they're still producing award-winning shows.

#1186 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,135 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 21:44

When Sky started I hated the coverage. But it was full race coverage so I put up with it. Over the year they have listened to the fans and have responded. The introduction of Johnny Herbert has had a massive impact. Simon is their weakest link. He isn't cut out for it. I just get the impression that he is doing it as a job, not because he loves the sport. I think Georgie knows more but I'm not sure if she is the right person to front it. However, she might have more chance at getting the drivers than Simon. He just doesn't have the confidence that Jake has.

With the BBC, I think even the live races have gone downhill a bit. It is too presenter focussed as opposed to race focussed. Gary is good. I like him as an addition to the team. There seems to be less technical content than there used to be. Sky now wins hands down in that area. However the drivers are more accustomed to the BBC crew and seem to have a better rapport. However in Korea Sky got more than the BBC. As smug as people think Jake is, he does know F1 and fully understands the sport and you see a genuine appreciation and understanding of the sport from him. Ben Edwards does my head in. He sounds loud but boring. Not much of an improvement over Legard.

There are good points and bad points on both sides. If the best of both came together it would be perfect. However that wont happen.

#1187 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,909 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 23:09

I really like Ben Edwards. He and DC always manage to notice everything going on on the track and GA is there to tell you how the race is going to play out, which is great.
You always get the feeling IMO that with the BBC you have more of an insight into what is really going on right in the garages (EJ breaking the Lewis to Mercedes story for example) but I do kind of see how 3 guys just mucking about might annoy folk.

With Sky, I like how dedicated they are to F1 and they are pretty unbiased. I also love some of Damon Hill's awkward jokes :lol:

But you get the feeling at times that they say something's that aren't entirely true to make their points, and having PF1 do their new stories on their site isn't going to help anyone.

All in all, I think both are very with the BBC maybe getting a slight edge but only because of experience. In a couple of years, I think Sky (through either acquiring the BBC guys or just getting their team more experienced) will manage to give as quality a coverage as possible. Also, their montages are great.

#1188 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,835 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 23:43

I like Ben Edwards, I used to watch him a lot year ago but right now I simply cannot watch him commentate on the BBC and thats a shame.

His constant SHOUTING AND SCREAMING really get on my nerves. I can *see* its exciting, I'm not six years old, you don't have to tell me. Although I must say Crofty can be a bit shouty too, but not quite as bad.

#1189 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 365 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:00

In the pre-race/post-race shows, I just get the feeling that the Sky crew are a lot more uncomfortable in front of the camera. I guess only years of experience can cure that. Though EJ/DC/Jake do dumb things at times, in front of the camera they seem very natural as if it's second nature (it probably is now).

#1190 robefc

robefc

• 8,017 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 22:22

When Sky started I hated the coverage. But it was full race coverage so I put up with it. Over the year they have listened to the fans and have responded. The introduction of Johnny Herbert has had a massive impact.

For me Johnny offers zero insight and is one of those pundits who appears to desperately try and formulate enough sentences to fill the gap after a question with no regard for the validity or relevance of what he's actually saying.

Edited by robefc, 22 October 2012 - 22:23.

#1191 SerratedEdge

SerratedEdge

• 108 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 22:36

worrying addition to the Sky coverage in the last race was Mr Dull Mark Blundell :|

Edited by SerratedEdge, 22 October 2012 - 22:38.

#1192 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 751 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:39

Sky beats BBC solely on the basis there's no Eddie Jordan's Poetry Corner.

#1193 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:43

Sky beats BBC solely on the basis there's no Eddie Jordan's Poetry Corner.

And they have Geordie's side profile :cool:

#1194 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:46

For me Johnny offers zero insight and is one of those pundits who appears to desperately try and formulate enough sentences to fill the gap after a question with no regard for the validity or relevance of what he's actually saying.

Gotta agree - he looks like teh biggest tool closely followed by Lazenby. Also it may be just me but he doesnt look at all like a race driver. Chubby cheeks look like he has had a lazy life of a 9 to 5 bank clerk.

Hill is ok and at least tries to answer the question. And the only saving grace for Sky are the 2 hotteis (well kind of ) although we mostly only get to hear the hotter one.

Edited by sailor, 23 October 2012 - 11:49.

#1195 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,717 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 15:44

Gotta agree - he looks like teh biggest tool closely followed by Lazenby. Also it may be just me but he doesnt look at all like a race driver. Chubby cheeks look like he has had a lazy life of a 9 to 5 bank clerk.

Hill is ok and at least tries to answer the question. And the only saving grace for Sky are the 2 hotteis (well kind of ) although we mostly only get to hear the hotter one.

Pinkham hotter than Georgie?

#1196 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 476 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 19:25

Pinkham hotter than Georgie?

A penguins arse is hotter than Georgie.

#1197 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 255 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 19:36

And they have Geordie's side profile :cool:

Oh yes :cool:

#1198 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 20:16

I'm ashamed to lower the tone of this place with something from Hello! magazine but how tiny is georgie?!?!

Posted Image

#1199 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 20:30

Guess Pinkhams off the market... damn.

Advertisement

#1200 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 21:32

I'll keep the value of the discussion at an extremely low level, but personally I find there is a Glenn Close vibe with Georgie's face and it's very disturbing as well as a major turn-off.

Hopefully you guys will manage to avoid seeing Glenn Close everytime she's on from that point :p