F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#1201 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,111 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 21:42

This is not battle of the BBC vs Sky ladies in F1 sex appeal. It is off topic.

Discussing their abilities in their role is not off topic as long as it is related to their journalistic styles and comparisons.

Please stay on topic as per the forum rules.

Advertisement

#1202 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,852 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:11

BBC's coverage is good and so is Sky's, almost equally so in my opinion but that is all it is, an opinion.

For me Sky's coverage has been the better of the two, the pre/post race coverage is similar but during the race i prefer Crofty & Brundle's measured, intelligent approach over Edward's incessant screaming/shouting approach. Plus Sky have a dedicated channel, i spent this afternoon watching the 2005 season review between the BTCC/WSR races, Friday i watched the F1 show. Sky are far more dedicated to F1 & Motorsport than the BBC who a more bothered about pleasing Joe "gimme a singing contest" Bloggs and that comes across in the quality and quantity of the coverage, if i wanted to watch three blokes cocking around i'd put Top Gear on. Its an F1 race, not an entertainment show, the Formula One is the entertainment, not the presenters, Sky understand that, the BBC don't. But thats just my opinion.

Totally agree. :up:

#1203 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,228 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:57

BBC's coverage is good and so is Sky's, almost equally so in my opinion but that is all it is, an opinion.

For me Sky's coverage has been the better of the two, the pre/post race coverage is similar but during the race i prefer Crofty & Brundle's measured, intelligent approach over Edward's incessant screaming/shouting approach. Plus Sky have a dedicated channel, i spent this afternoon watching the 2005 season review between the BTCC/WSR races, Friday i watched the F1 show. Sky are far more dedicated to F1 & Motorsport than the BBC who a more bothered about pleasing Joe "gimme a singing contest" Bloggs and that comes across in the quality and quantity of the coverage, if i wanted to watch three blokes cocking around i'd put Top Gear on. Its an F1 race, not an entertainment show, the Formula One is the entertainment, not the presenters, Sky understand that, the BBC don't. But thats just my opinion.

Its totally the opposite for me in terms of the way the program is presented. I prefer the light hearted approach where the interesting issues are discussed in a relaxed manner rather than the full Sky Sports treatment with a very formal approach. I can see why fans new to the sport would prefer the BBC as it is all a lot more viewer friendly. Sky have tried really hard to improve but its still not tempted me to choose them yet. I'm not bothered about a dedicated F1 channel as I don't have time to sit and watch hours of shows and coverage. A race every couple of weeks is sufficient for most fans IMO and this notion we need a dedicated channel we have to pay through the nose for is just born out of choice or the fact people have acquired it anyway IMO. Its all good to support it if you have got it, but for those that don't its not going to be something that's ever going to be supported.

#1204 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 162 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:06

Watson and Edwards on BBC. It's like being back in the 90s. Keep thinking they'll start talking about Footwork, Ligier, Jordan...

#1205 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:13

How come Sky have so many commercial breaks. They are charging for the service anyway?

#1206 pRy

pRy

• 10,713 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:41

Jonathan Legard back behind the F1 mic during FP2.

#1207 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 270 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 14:09

Jonathan Legard back behind the F1 mic during FP2.

Ah, yes, it's nice to hear him again.

If only to remind me how truly shockingly godawful he was!

I honestly have no idea what on earth is he prattling on about most of the time.

I'm not a hater of the man, he's absolutely fine covering the football on the radio, but sorry Jon, F1 does not suit your style/delivery.

Thank God for Gary Anderson is all I can say.

#1208 tomboyracer

tomboyracer

• 98 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 14:20

:clap:
This is exactly how I feel - in fact I couldn't have said it better myself!

#1209 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 16:44

Today at FP the commentators talked about how the Austin GP could possibly be this year's title decider.
If so that would be a shame for the BBC.
They would be doing a 10.30pm highlights show when everyone and his dog would already know who was the 2012 WDC

#1210 F1EC

F1EC

• 857 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 16:47

If the BBC have John Watson on again, I will finally give in and get Sky. He comes across as ignorant and bitter.

#1211 pRy

pRy

• 10,713 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 17:04

Today at FP the commentators talked about how the Austin GP could possibly be this year's title decider.
They would be doing a 10.30pm highlights show when everyone and his dog would already know who was the 2012 WDC

That was always a possible scenario sharing the races. I suspect it will still go down to the final race so they should be ok.

#1212 MinT

MinT

• 1,960 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 17:15

No the shame was them deciding/being forced/whatever to cut their live coverage this year - anything that follows is the inevitable consequence of that....

#1213 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,712 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 18:03

Legard was awful once again, waffling on and cutting off Watson on numerous occasions.

Furthermore when Vettel was setting those fastest laps at the beginning of FP2 he got too excited and said "Sebastian Vettel the triple World Champion goes faster again!!!"

I'm glad it's not 09-10 anymore :lol:

#1214 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 5,656 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 19:17

Everyone and his dog knows who it is going to be anyway...

#1215 Ellios

Ellios

• 1,064 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 19:20

Legard was awful once again, waffling on and cutting off Watson on numerous occasions.

Furthermore when Vettel was setting those fastest laps at the beginning of FP2 he got too excited and said "Sebastian Vettel the triple World Champion goes faster again!!!"

I'm glad it's not 09-10 anymore :lol:

I'm with you on this - just appalling!

#1216 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,292 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:13

How come Sky have so many commercial breaks. They are charging for the service anyway?

Welcome to the future of F1 - How long before Sky decide that they cannot make enough to pay Bernie from new Sky subscibers ('cos they didn't get many) and decide they need adverts during the races to cover the cost?

#1217 travbrad

travbrad

• 510 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:35

Pardon my ignorance but what is the red fruit/flower thing the SkyF1 team has been wearing on their shirts the last couple weekends? I've seen it on Doctor Who also so I assume it's a British tradition of some kind?

#1218 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:37

Pardon my ignorance but what is the red fruit/flower thing the SkyF1 team has been wearing on their shirts the last couple weekends? I've seen it on Doctor Who also so I assume it's a British tradition of some kind?

http://en.wikipedia....Remembrance_Day

#1219 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,389 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:54

http://en.wikipedia....Remembrance_Day

And also: http://en.wikipedia....membrance_poppy

Posted Image

Advertisement

#1220 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 2,868 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:23

Turn 1 of Austin GP :eek: From start going uphill to the first corner completely blind. Amazing.

#1221 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,806 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 18:00

Watson and Edwards on BBC. It's like being back in the 90s. Keep thinking they'll start talking about Footwork, Ligier, Jordan...

I had a tear in my eye. They were very good. :up:

#1222 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 7,993 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:35

Great BBC feature with Newey and DC driving the '90 Leyton House and modern RB at same time :up:

#1223 Sinceref189

Sinceref189

• 585 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:38

LOL jake bumps in to brundle again ' there's a familar face ' the look on brundle face was like **** you jake :lol:

#1224 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,155 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:50

Great BBC feature with Newey and DC driving the '90 Leyton House and modern RB at same time :up:

Great? It was merely just some fancy but pointless shots that don't tell you anything about how the cars compare.

#1225 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 2,868 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:55

F**k SKY! Bernie was talking to Vettel and they cut to some crappy montage!

#1226 DS27

DS27

• 822 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 13:33

Watching the three ex-F1 drivers at Sky, it occurs to me that stats often don't mean much.

Hill = F1 WDC
Herbert = F1 race winner
Brundle = Podiums only

And yet in terms of talent, having watched them all I would put them in the order of Brundle, Herbert, then Hill all day long. F1 never has been fair I guess.

#1227 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 55,894 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:15

Yeah but driving an F1 car is about driving an F1 car, not talking about it.

Would you sign Kimi as an announcer?

#1228 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,389 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 14:31

Would you sign Kimi as an announcer?

Shit, no. :p

Or "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I know ..." ;)

#1229 tomisumi

tomisumi

• 182 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 15:53

Why is Sky crew wearing those red roses? (or what is it)

#1230 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,533 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:39

I dunno if I should be starting a new thread for this or not but has anyone been watching Britains Next F1 Star on Sky Sports F1?
Its on at the minute and they're featuring Alice Powell, who wasnt even a star in Formula Renault UK - she finished 9th out of the 10 drivers that entered every race.

Wonder how much daddys paying for this feature?

#1231 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,609 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:49

Why is Sky crew wearing those red roses? (or what is it)

Next Sunday is Remembrance Sunday in the UK, and it's very very common to see people wearing red poppies in exchange for a charitable donation, as 1 way of showing a mark of respect to those who lost their lives in war. There's no F1 next weekend, hence they're wearing them this weekend instead. It's the same every year and has been for many years.

#1232 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,533 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:51

Just had a look at past drivers:
Josh Hill who drove around at the back of the Formula Renault Eurocup all year season but daddy is a Sky presenter
Jordan King - was quick in karts but very average in the same Renault Eurocup
Seb Morris who's essentially done nothing to warrant being featured, even compared to the other three

Looks like the shows went to the highest bidders which is fairly disappointing from sky......

#1233 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,097 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:23

Just had a look at past drivers:
Josh Hill who drove around at the back of the Formula Renault Eurocup all year season but daddy is a Sky presenter
Jordan King - was quick in karts but very average in the same Renault Eurocup
Seb Morris who's essentially done nothing to warrant being featured, even compared to the other three

Looks like the shows went to the highest bidders which is fairly disappointing from sky......

...except it is a USP Content programme.

Someone more eagle eyed than me has spotted that Lee McKenzie's Twitter description has recently changed from 'Pitlane reporter' to 'TV presenter'...

#1234 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,652 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:23

Someone more eagle eyed than me has spotted that Lee McKenzie's Twitter description has recently changed from 'Pitlane reporter' to 'TV presenter'...

It might not mean anything, she does host inside F1 now, and it is on tv.

#1235 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,533 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:26

Ah so i'm guessing that USP Content just bought the airtime

Still, its a good idea wasted, theres other drivers that are good enough to maybe have a shot at F1 that do need the coverage because they do rely on sponsors.
And no, this does not include Max Chilton! :p

#1236 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:30

Exactly. Why Seb Morris, for example, when Scott Malvern trounced him in Formula Renault BARC this year and is desperate for exposure/sponsorship?

Would love to know what the criteria was for featuring on the programme.

#1237 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,533 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 18:59

Exactly. Why Seb Morris, for example, when Scott Malvern trounced him in Formula Renault BARC this year and is desperate for exposure/sponsorship?

Would love to know what the criteria was for featuring on the programme.

££££££'s

#1238 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 55,894 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 19:41

Being matey with USP people, which uncoincidentally produce the 5LiveF1 coverage, no?

#1239 amppatel

amppatel

• 413 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 20:11

Who else noticed the laughs on The Forum about penetrating America?! Funniest moment of the year...!

Advertisement

#1240 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,234 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 20:12

LOL jake bumps in to brundle again ' there's a familar face ' the look on brundle face was like **** you jake :lol:

I think he was just about to start the grid-walk, hence why he appeared to ignore Jake.

Anyway, I don't know why they can't just work in harmony. Ted Kravitz seems to act like he doesn't know any of the BBC guys when you see them coming across each other in the paddock/pit-lane after the race and Jake always seems keen on a wise-crack or two. Getting pretty boring now.

#1241 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,097 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 20:15

The programme was commissioned last year.

#1242 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 20:30

The programme was commissioned last year.

Yeah, when Scott Malvern broke all records in Formula Ford. Prime candidate for such a programme, no?

#1243 DoodoolTalla

DoodoolTalla

• 203 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 20:57

http://www.youtube.c...p;v=anqX4rA9w6Y

After watching the video above, I'm glad I have been sticking to Sky F1 and will never watch or support BBC EVER!

#1244 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 5,656 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 21:01

After watching the video above, I'm glad I have been sticking to Sky F1 and will never watch or support BBC EVER!

Wow yeah that's something there...

What's you point and how is this relevant?

#1245 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 753 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 21:25

Rosberg with his earplugs on just before race start.

Sky girl: "What you listening to on your iPod?"

:rotfl:

#1246 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,533 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 21:26

Yeah, when Scott Malvern broke all records in Formula Ford. Prime candidate for such a programme, no?

More suitable than those chosen? Yes

Prime candidate? No

#1247 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 21:28

Got to agree, a disgusting and vile mistake to make.....

Edited by chrisblades85, 04 November 2012 - 21:29.

#1248 Peat

Peat

• 1,140 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:00

oh give over. His job is a motorsport commentator, not a historian. Anyway, he corrected himself immediately.

On Topic: I never thought i would say this back in the spring, but - i vastly prefer Sky's coverage now. Presenters and Commentary team are much better. The Edwards/DC has not worked out that well imho and they tend to just say what they see rather than look at the race as a whole. Now that Brundle is back as a pundit, he lets Croft do all the 'Ooooooh, Ahhhhh' bits while he studies the monitors and actually thinks of interesting things to say/inform the viewer.

#1249 Barty

Barty

• 541 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:57

oh give over. His job is a motorsport commentator, not a historian. Anyway, he corrected himself immediately.

No, he incorrected himself, according to http://en.wikipedia...._naming_dispute the UK official name is the Persian Gulf.

#1250 Peat

Peat

• 1,140 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:12

Which only goes to show what a farce it is for anyone to get upset about it.

Move on.