Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#1251 amppatel

amppatel

• 452 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:21

oh give over. His job is a motorsport commentator, not a historian. Anyway, he corrected himself immediately.

On Topic: I never thought i would say this back in the spring, but - i vastly prefer Sky's coverage now. Presenters and Commentary team are much better. The Edwards/DC has not worked out that well imho and they tend to just say what they see rather than look at the race as a whole. Now that Brundle is back as a pundit, he lets Croft do all the 'Ooooooh, Ahhhhh' bits while he studies the monitors and actually thinks of interesting things to say/inform the viewer.

No way, after watching Sky for the first half I started to the pre/after shows on BBC and the actual race on Sky (when possible). Yes the race commentary is better than on BBC but the presenters on BBC are much better! With Sky it is the same boring stuff again and again and again - all very serious and the just talk about the race and not much else. On BBC the are much more fun and joke around - they also talk about other stuff going on in F1 and not just regurgitate the same old stuff!

But I guess which one you prefer will depend on what your after, so really not one is better than the other. I have to say both are fine to watch, which is great!

Advertisement

#1252 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,616 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:39

No, he incorrected himself, according to http://en.wikipedia...._naming_dispute the UK official name is the Persian Gulf.

Just goes to show what a load of 'round objects' the original comment about it on here was. One mans Persian Gulf is anothers Arabian Gulf, in the same was as one mans 'terrorist' is another mans 'freedom fighter'. If the only thing you can find to criticise about a broadcasters coverage is a comment about a disputed regional name with minimal connection to the actual sport being brodcast then they cannot be doing such a bad job on the actual coverage.

#1253 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,075 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:44

Presumably they had to/were asked to do that because of the country they were broadcasting from. The UN and the UK government refer to it as the Persian Gulf.

#1254 Prancing Horse

Prancing Horse

• 53 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:59

You would have thought he'd called it a 'sandy craphole' from all the over the top comments about it. Good grief!

#1255 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,305 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 13:13

Great? It was merely just some fancy but pointless shots that don't tell you anything about how the cars compare.

You're right but I appreciated it for what is was at least. Did you see how tight DC was in the Leyton House? And he's still anorexic looking.

Re Gulf gate: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Persian_Gulf Can't see why it was necessary to apologise so profusely given it's technically correct. Obviously being on the Arabian side they don't like to have the Persian (ergo Iranian) connotation. Guessing it'd be like calling the English Channel 'la Manche'.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 05 November 2012 - 13:25.

#1256 Risil

Risil

• 13,738 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 13:44

I think Ross has got it. Bit weird that the BBC producers listened to the pressure being applied by the politicals, and not their own style guide though. :well:

As for Edwards, one can forgive him for not being mindful of every naming dispute while in the middle of commentating on a Grand Prix. He didn't exactly have time to get onto the Wikipedia page for a quick refresher course in Middle Eastern politics.

#1257 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,929 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 13:49

Anybody know what Alonso was doing in that weird bit on the coverage just before the podium ceremonies where he seemed to be having difficulty deciding which hat to wear? :confused:

#1258 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 13:50

No way, after watching Sky for the first half I started to the pre/after shows on BBC and the actual race on Sky (when possible). Yes the race commentary is better than on BBC but the presenters on BBC are much better! With Sky it is the same boring stuff again and again and again - all very serious and the just talk about the race and not much else. On BBC the are much more fun and joke around - they also talk about other stuff going on in F1 and not just regurgitate the same old stuff!

But I guess which one you prefer will depend on what your after, so really not one is better than the other. I have to say both are fine to watch, which is great!

Sky? Serious? I'm guessing you didn't get to see Johnny Herbert wearing a bib then. :)

#1259 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,748 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 14:14

Anybody know what Alonso was doing in that weird bit on the coverage just before the podium ceremonies where he seemed to be having difficulty deciding which hat to wear? :confused:

He usually just stands in the background and doesn't bother with that 'what happened to .....' conversations etc

Advertisement

#1260 amppatel

amppatel

• 452 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 17:54

The hats have 1st 2nd and 3rd. He needs the right one...

#1261 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,561 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 17:58

I think he was just about to start the grid-walk, hence why he appeared to ignore Jake.

Anyway, I don't know why they can't just work in harmony. Ted Kravitz seems to act like he doesn't know any of the BBC guys when you see them coming across each other in the paddock/pit-lane after the race and Jake always seems keen on a wise-crack or two. Getting pretty boring now.

Its just a bit of banter between the two sides as lets face it they are in competition. Sky have all the coverage and the Beeb have all the viewers.

#1262 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:09

Its just a bit of banter between the two sides as lets face it they are in competition. Sky have all the coverage and the Beeb have all the viewers.

Any competition was created by the BBC themselves. JH still acts as if something was taken from them rather than given away.

#1263 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,561 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:29

Any competition was created by the BBC themselves. JH still acts as if something was taken from them rather than given away.

Perhaps Jake feels he has to have a little dig as the deal is still very raw for many fans. It makes no difference to Sky viewers because they aren't missing out. We all have opinions on this and lets not forget Brundle, Jake, and a few others from the team were not exactly happy when the BBC pulled the rug out from under them. I bet if you asked any of them what the perfect scenario would be, they would still say all the coverage on the Beeb before this deal. Anyway Jake is off in a matter of weeks and this banter will most probably be a thing of the past.

#1264 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:36

Perhaps Jake feels he has to have a little dig as the deal is still very raw for many fans. It makes no difference to Sky viewers because they aren't missing out. We all have opinions on this and lets not forget Brundle, Jake, and a few others from the team were not exactly happy when the BBC pulled the rug out from under them. I bet if you asked any of them what the perfect scenario would be, they would still say all the coverage on the Beeb before this deal. Anyway Jake is off in a matter of weeks and this banter will most probably be a thing of the past.

I'm still unhappy with the Beebs actions despite having Sky, and any digs should be aimed at the BBC, but then JH knows where his bread is buttered and would never have the courage to aim at the real culprits.

#1265 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,075 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:39

Could we just watch the race cars and not treat this like a season of Dynasty.

#1266 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,561 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:51

I'm still unhappy with the Beebs actions despite having Sky, and any digs should be aimed at the BBC, but then JH knows where his bread is buttered and would never have the courage to aim at the real culprits.

In fairness to Jake he has aimed comments towards the Beeb and especially in the early days so courage doesn't even come into it. Jakes off to ITV or BT linked with ITV so he is hardly in a position of loyalty any more.

#1267 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,182 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 18:54

I wonder if the deal is mentioned in Jake's book? Given that he is still under contract with BBC, I can't imagine the book making any digs at BBC.

#1268 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 19:01

In fairness to Jake he has aimed comments towards the Beeb and especially in the early days so courage doesn't even come into it. Jakes off to ITV or BT linked with ITV so he is hardly in a position of loyalty any more.

He may want to go back sometime so doubt he will burn his bridges.

#1269 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,561 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 19:03

Maybe not but he's hardly sticking the boot into Sky now is he? Just some light banter with the guys that jumped ship is hardly worth getting annoyed about. The guys on Sky have made comments in return so its not a case of one being worse than the other IMO.

#1270 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,929 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 19:12

The hats have 1st 2nd and 3rd. He needs the right one...

Heh, didn't think of that. Thanks! Mind you he seemed to be having some difficulty choosing...

Edited by billm99uk, 05 November 2012 - 19:12.

#1271 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,075 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 20:21

Despite not caring much about pre-race, did anyone find the Coulthard sim lap of Austin really disappointing? They could have easily used the actual lap, in an actual F1 car, done by D'Ambrosio a week or so back. But I shouldn't be surprised, it seems like DC is there for the benefit of Red Bull rather than the viewer.

#1272 Rentta

Rentta

• 294 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 15:08

New series on bbc with extremely short episodes : http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/20156789

#1273 fred54

fred54

• 192 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:31

Title could be decided and the BBC don't have the race live and of course due to the scheduling the highlights will be on at a much less convienient time for most.

#1274 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,699 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:35

New series on bbc with extremely short episodes : http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/20156789

mmm.. not bad, but webcast only I take it... :|

#1275 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,777 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:52

I wonder if the deal is mentioned in Jake's book? Given that he is still under contract with BBC, I can't imagine the book making any digs at BBC.

He is too smart to make a dig at a huge broadcaster still so early into his career, the broadcaster that gave him his career. If there is a dig to be had, despite moving to a different channel he won't take it.

#1276 condor

condor

• 11,252 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:09

I was hoping to catch a re-run of the qualifying highlights this morning on BBC i-player as I missed it last night - but seems it's not there.

#1277 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:11

I was hoping to catch a re-run of the qualifying highlights this morning on BBC i-player as I missed it last night - but seems it's not there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rix_Qualifying/

#1278 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,929 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:56

BBC showing the race highlights at 10:25PM? Ouch.

#1279 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,616 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:10

Title could be decided and the BBC don't have the race live and of course due to the scheduling the highlights will be on at a much less convienient time for most.

I guess this is where we find out just how popular (or not) F1 is in the UK. Viewing figures should be interesting.

Advertisement

#1280 Ellios

Ellios

• 1,123 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:28

I guess this is where we find out just how popular (or not) F1 is in the UK. Viewing figures should be interesting.

pity viewers to the illegal streams (of which there are many) cannot be included!

#1281 condor

condor

• 11,252 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 16:00

Thanks jrg19 for the link - I did watch it via that - what I meant was it wasn't available on my TV, which has a far bigger screen than my computer.

I'll be fast asleep by then and will probably have to watch it on i-player....hopefully on the TV not the computer

#1282 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 16:05

Won't stop Jake from trying to make out its the best possible way to watch the race.

#1283 F1EC

F1EC

• 863 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 16:13

Won't stop Jake from trying to make out its the best possible way to watch the race.

Well, it's still required viewing for me. When I watch Sky I do so with the sound turned off because the commentary is so irritating/poor. I enjoy watching the BBC highlights because they're a) entertaining and b) the presenters do actually add to the experience. So while it may not be the best possible way, it's still pretty damn good.

#1284 Amin

Amin

• 191 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:59

That was a brilliant piece with Andretti on Sky.

#1285 Snic

Snic

• 564 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 18:31

Great stuff on the Skypad :) Massa's practice start was horrible from the dirty side... so little grip out there. This is going to be a manic start..

Edited by Snic, 18 November 2012 - 18:32.

#1286 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 18:45

David and Martin! LOL

#1287 PapaD

PapaD

• 40 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 18:47

David and Martin! LOL

:rotfl: Brilliant!

#1288 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 18:54

The potential for good TV is limitless with Spanky, but in reality it's probably going to be an arse-licking like all the other Mosley interviews..

Would be entertaining if Brundle was there to ask a couple of questions though.. :lol:

They should hire Sue Lawley to interview Spankie
I never forget Lawley's brilliant interview with Mosley's Mum on Desert Island discs , Sue Lawley very gently passed Lady Diana Mosley enough rope then let her hang herself.

#1289 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,561 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:34

David and Martin! LOL

Brundle was well and truly owned on that one. No Martin you are both required to be live!! lol

#1290 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:53

David and Martin! LOL

what happened?

#1291 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:58

what happened?

DC was waiting to interview SV and MB tried to jump the queue. SV wasn't allowing it.

#1292 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 507 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:42

Yes that was amusing. Fair play to Vettel. :up:

I'm still watching on SkY F1 HD. I especially like the SkyPad as this gives me a much more incisive view of the rights and wrongs of a particular incident. Of course, I'm in love with Georgie too....... :blush:

#1293 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,305 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 15:24

Watching purely BBC this weekend as the build up is consistently better and it's Jake's last F1 broadcast, he will be missed. It's very hard to be a likeable F1 TV presenter/commentator (this place is proof of that) but I can't think anyone could have done a better job making F1 on the BBC more inclusive and enjoyable to the viewers than Jake.

#1294 pRy

pRy

• 10,878 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:25

Had to turn over after the fourth version of the "Is Alonso set up for a wet race" and "Will they move Massa over" conversation.

#1295 F1EC

F1EC

• 863 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:32

Watching purely BBC this weekend as the build up is consistently better and it's Jake's last F1 broadcast, he will be missed. It's very hard to be a likeable F1 TV presenter/commentator (this place is proof of that) but I can't think anyone could have done a better job making F1 on the BBC more inclusive and enjoyable to the viewers than Jake.

Agreed. He's made it very accessible. It's hard to imagine how the BBC will top that.

#1296 pRy

pRy

• 10,878 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 18:59

Agreed. He's made it very accessible. It's hard to imagine how the BBC will top that.

They've a very good chance with Lee.

#1297 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:06

They've a very good chance with Lee.

She was pretty awful in japan as a stand in for Jake.

#1298 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,182 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 14:22

BBC presenter will be announced at end of today's broadcast

#1299 d246

d246

• 559 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 14:32

BBC presenter will be announced at end of today's broadcast

Interesting - got to be Lee then?

Advertisement

#1300 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,881 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 14:37

Interesting - got to be Lee then?

anyone, Anyone will be better than that smug little git Humphries, glad he's buggering off to football, shows where his passion truly is.

Good Riddance!