Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#1301 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 14:41

anyone, Anyone will be better than that smug little git Humphries, glad he's buggering off to football, shows where his passion truly is.

Good Riddance!

Sorry but :rolleyes:

Jake is starting a family with his missus, having the BT Vision gig means he can be around for both his missus and kid alot more. The impression i get from Jake is that he loves both football and F1 but one involves being away from home for most of the year, the other doesn't.

Some things are more important than a job.

Advertisement

#1302 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 3,032 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 14:46

Watching SKY now, they need to stop these irritating musical montages. It's pointless filler.

#1303 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,697 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 14:54

They learned from the best...

#1304 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,925 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 15:00

Farewell Jake....the BBC picked the best front man for F1 when it came back to them, Jake lived and breathed F1 and truly understood it. Couldn't have asked for more.

#1305 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 15:09

Watching SKY now, they need to stop these irritating musical montages. It's pointless filler.

Far too many, and they're all pretty bland, with average music choices. I've said before, but I far prefer the beeb's 'artistic direction' with things like that. It's a bit more understated, subtle. I loved this feature for example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/15225662

If Sky did this, they would either produce something a lot more shouty, or with excessive faux 'emotion' and pick some rubbish music to go with it The whole tone of the BBC's coverage works much better for me. Sky try too hard IMO.

#1306 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,837 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 15:16

BBC presenter will be announced at end of today's broadcast

So I've still got a chance to submit my application?

#1307 bongofury

bongofury

• 57 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 15:21

BBC presenter will be announced at end of today's broadcast

Toby Anstis.

#1308 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 316 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 15:30

anyone, Anyone will be better than that smug little git Humphries, glad he's buggering off to football, shows where his passion truly is.

Good Riddance!

I really don't understand you. If you HATE him so much (which you clearly do), then why do you even acknowledge his existence by watching the BBC's limited coverage (and infuriating yourself at the same time) when Sky offer full Jake-free coverage across the complete season?

Disclosure: I think he has been a really good frontman for F1 coverage in the UK. I much prefer the Beeb's coverage to Sky, and I hope his successor can keep the plates spinning on the Beeb.

#1309 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 652 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 15:34

Farewell Jake....the BBC picked the best front man for F1 when it came back to them, Jake lived and breathed F1 and truly understood it. Couldn't have asked for more.

He was a corporate suck up working his way up the career ladder. As more than evidenced by his shift of focus.

And that's not to mention his smug, irritating, nodding dog, third of three pricks in the pitlane schlock.

Though I had to resist the urge to throw things at the laptop when Herbert was firstly continuing his villification campaign against Schumacher, then deifying Senna in the next breath.

Times like these remind me neither option have tolerable pre-race, but as it's the title decider and weather might be a factor I'm trying to suffer through to keep an eye out for rain.

#1310 DS27

DS27

• 1,130 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 15:47

Though I had to resist the urge to throw things at the laptop when Herbert was firstly continuing his villification campaign against Schumacher, then deifying Senna in the next breath.

Times like these remind me neither option have tolerable pre-race, but as it's the title decider and weather might be a factor I'm trying to suffer through to keep an eye out for rain.

I'm with you here.

STFU Herbert - still bitter after all these years.

#1311 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 16:21

This TV director is effing useless!!

#1312 Peter

Peter

• 1,392 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:21

Jake said every race will be live on BBC in 2013?

#1313 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,630 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:26

Jake said every race will be live on BBC in 2013?

That's what one of my mates has just told me. Thought he might have mis-heard or mis-understood.

#1314 F1EC

F1EC

• 864 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:26

Agreed. He's done a great job. Fingers crossed they find someone with similar skills to take over.

#1315 F1EC

F1EC

• 864 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:27

He was a corporate suck up working his way up the career ladder. As more than evidenced by his shift of focus.

And that's not to mention his smug, irritating, nodding dog, third of three pricks in the pitlane schlock.

This says more about you than it does about the people you're disrespecting.

#1316 D A

D A

• 888 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:30

I can't believe that everyone at Sky failed to notice that yellow lights flash and red/yellow ones don't.

#1317 dweller23

dweller23

• 677 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:34

I also heard Jake saying that all 2013 races will be live on BBC. Great stuff if true. But it's pretty obvious, since Bernie is Jake replacement.;)

#1318 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,362 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:49

Sky season compilation vs. Barry Lyndon, classy.

#1319 Moore

Moore

• 400 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:51

Sky has had a poor after-race show tbh. Are they even going to show Mclaren?

Advertisement

#1320 fred54

fred54

• 192 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:51

This TV director is effing useless!!

TBF he had a hell of a job on his hands.

However it seemed that Vettel's recovery from his spin with Senna was completely missed, saw a few overtakes but was amazed at how quickly he got up and how little we saw of it. Now maybe I missed it, but I can't recall seeing Lewis pit for inters (his first pit stop) I only realised he had pitted because the gap between him and Button was massive!

#1321 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,199 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:53

Sky season compilation vs. Barry Lyndon, classy.

First time they reached BBC's level if you ask me

#1322 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,386 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:58

Sky have been poor all season for the post race stuff all season. BBC always beat them post race for me when they are live.

#1323 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:00

It's what I like about Sky they show what matters and McLaren didn't really today :up:

Anyway after this season I won't bother with BBC anymore, Sky has everything LIVE and in full
Maybe I'll watch the occasional BBC forum but Sky has won the battle for me this year

#1324 Moore

Moore

• 400 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:01

It's what I like about Sky they show what matters and McLaren didn't really today :up:

Anyway after this season I won't bother with BBC anymore, Sky has everything LIVE and in full
Maybe I'll watch the occasional BBC forum but Sky has won the battle for me this year

No, the race winner doesn't matter...

#1325 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,640 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:05

Jp's end of season verdict.

I've decided...Croft sucks ass beyond belief.
Trite, xenophobic,insolent and plain dull.
He can't improvise to save his mother.
His tired routine is so narrow.
Glad to hear that he is under review

I was all up Sky's backside about how great it was but every time I watch BBC coverage I go..Oh Yeah, that's better!!
Better conception, more congruent editing etc.
Yes Sky have MORE and I DO like GT, Damon and Martin but everything else seems so meh.
Roebuck's retros are sublime however.

I wish Bob Varsha could come over and take over Croft's seat..
Don't think y'all could put up with him though.
Jp

#1326 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 652 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:08

This says more about you than it does about the people you're disrespecting.

So you've no structured argument against the content of the post, just a veiled attack on the poster.

Congratulations, I feel so much more enlightened and set back on the right path now.

(Oh, and I'm sure Mr Watson would like tips on you from how to properly disrespect sporting celebrities without rebuffal)

#1327 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,802 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:12

Well a whole season has passed and the BBC have remained the best of the two IMO. Sky have all the live content but lack in the areas that matter to me. I've had access to Sky all year but have rarely used it. If you find yourself frustrated when watching, it takes away from the experience and it'll be back to the Beeb for 2013... Its a long time to wait but looking forward all the same :up:

#1328 Peat

Peat

• 1,342 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:13

Pete's verdict.

I have to disagree with JP, Sky's comms team much better than BBC's imho. Edwards/Coulthard only seem capable of reporting on what's happening at the end of thier noses, they never seem to figure out whats going to happen or smaller incidents in the background etc.

Sky's coverage a bit too OTT (I have no desire to get the Annual review DVD this year - im all worn out)

Sky's presenters - Cringy
BBC's presenter - Slimey.

#1329 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:17

Well a whole season has passed and the BBC have remained the best of the two IMO. Sky have all the live content but lack in the areas that matter to me. I've had access to Sky all year but have rarely used it. If you find yourself frustrated when watching, it takes away from the experience and it'll be back to the Beeb for 2013... Its a long time to wait but looking forward all the same :up:

OMG, I'M TOTALLY SHOCKED.

No offense Mac but your opinion has been pretty skewed and bias towards the "Lets give F1 away for The Voice" BBC.

Personally, i think the BBC offer better pre/post race coverage, bar EJ (who i detest) and the "Skypad" which i quite like but i prefer Crofty and Brundle over Ben and DC. I like DC, he's a good number 2 but i'm surprised how much i haven't liked Ben Edwards, loved him in the BTCC but he lacks control sometimes and is a little too shouty too often for me.

#1330 WonderboyF1

WonderboyF1

• 115 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:23

Took the whole season, but at last 'look but never stare' made a return today, love that sends chills down the spine waiting on the lights going out.

#1331 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,802 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:28

No offense Mac but your opinion has been pretty skewed and bias towards the "Lets give F1 away for The Voice" BBC.

Personally, i think the BBC offer better pre/post race coverage, bar EJ (who i detest) and the "Skypad" which i quite like but i prefer Crofty and Brundle over Ben and DC. I like DC, he's a good number 2 but i'm surprised how much i haven't liked Ben Edwards, loved him in the BTCC but he lacks control sometimes and is a little too shouty too often for me.

No offence taken. I prefer the way the BBC deliver the coverage and that's my choice, you don't have to agree with it. I quite like EJ and think he adds to the coverage but accept he is not to everyone's taste. I have no time whatsoever for Brundle or Herbert and for me that reduces the quality of Sky's coverage right there. I won't watch and feel frustrated, can you imagine paying for that and feeling that way?! The Beeb have delivered this season as far as I am concerned and will stick with them again next season. Highlights haven't bee as bad as I had expected and edited well, although I would easily trade for full live coverage I could record and watch at my leisure.

The best for everybody would be both channels completely live and all tastes could be catered for. People could watch their favourites on each channel and viewership would be up once again. We had it so good in 2011 and is doubtful it will ever be at that level again.

#1332 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,640 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:28

Pete's verdict.

I have to disagree with JP, Sky's comms team much better than BBC's imho. Edwards/Coulthard only seem capable of reporting on what's happening at the end of thier noses, they never seem to figure out whats going to happen or smaller incidents in the background etc.

Sky's coverage a bit too OTT (I have no desire to get the Annual review DVD this year - im all worn out)

Sky's presenters - Cringy
BBC's presenter - Slimey.

Points taken..

It's really only Croft that makes me cringe.
I like commentators to talk about what's on the TV screen.

My beef is more with the overall feel of the production.
Jp

#1333 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:31

Shall miss the BBC trio :cry:

#1334 expert

expert

• 1,030 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:31

Ha Bernie

#1335 djparky

djparky

• 172 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:40

I kinda miss the F1 fan forum that the Beeb used to do- I've watched the entire thing on Sky- I don't bother with the pre and post race stuff (and I didn'tlast year on the Beeb either)- it's all about the cars on track to me, and everything else is pretty much what FOM would give to the Beeb anyway and Sky have done a grand job as far as I'm concerned

Personally I prefer having the practice session on schedule rather than red button so I can record during the day and watch in the evening (yes I am enough F1-nerd to do that!)that gets a plus for me as well,

and I've enjoyed watching GP/GP3 all year long- live and uninterrupted and on schedule- unlike dear old Eurosport who sometimes didn't bother showing it at all

can we have all this again in 2013 plus more archive footage (especially from the 80's)

#1336 evol88

evol88

• 43 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:41

So what's the deal with the BBC next year? Jake seemed to imply they'd have all the races live at the end of today's show, but that can't be right surely?

#1337 Psymon

Psymon

• 725 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:43

I also heard Jake saying that all 2013 races will be live on BBC. Great stuff if true. But it's pretty obvious, since Bernie is Jake replacement.;)

Just checked on iPlayer, and he did say all races live on the BBC...

However one point to note, all races have been live on the BBC this year if you count Radio 5 live...

#1338 pRy

pRy

• 10,997 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:44

So what's the deal with the BBC next year? Jake seemed to imply they'd have all the races live at the end of today's show, but that can't be right surely?

Same as this year i'm guessing. I think what he always means by that is the BBC will be at all the races, just not live at them all.

#1339 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,420 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:46

I shall miss Jake a lot personally. I thought he was a great presenter, able to get all the facts across and have fun while doing so. So long to the famous threesome :(

Til next season then, and with Bernie presenting the BBC are easily going to beat Sky ;)

Advertisement

#1340 bongofury

bongofury

• 57 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:47

TBF he had a hell of a job on his hands.

However it seemed that Vettel's recovery from his spin with Senna was completely missed, saw a few overtakes but was amazed at how quickly he got up and how little we saw of it. Now maybe I missed it, but I can't recall seeing Lewis pit for inters (his first pit stop) I only realised he had pitted because the gap between him and Button was massive!

When there's a lot of action going on, we don't need to see a reply of an overtake, only to miss another overtake live, and we then have to watch that on a further reply.

#1341 expert

expert

• 1,030 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:53

I imagine part of Bernie's presenting contract is to have all the races live. Sky will be highlights only next year.

#1342 evol88

evol88

• 43 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:54

Yeah the local TV director was pretty bad today. Reminded me of races in the 90s when you'd constantly be screaming in frustration at the TV because the Japanese director was showing Shinji Nakano fighting for 17th place, instead of the leaders.

#1343 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:57

Why SHOCKED for a certain group of fans half the races live and the rest hours later is quite enough
And another group of fans just has to rationalize being stuck with half the coverage.

BBC has been excellent but with only half the product and now their main man leaving it's all going further downhill I'm afraid

#1344 SamH123

SamH123

• 1,303 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:58

Interesting to put a face to Rocky (on Sky)
He has such a distinctive voice to me, it feels like a cross between Spanish and upper class English

Edited by SamH123, 25 November 2012 - 19:59.

#1345 evol88

evol88

• 43 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:02

Why SHOCKED for a certain group of fans half the races live and the rest hours later is quite enough
And another group of fans just has to rationalize being stuck with half the coverage.

BBC has been excellent but with only half the product and now their main man leaving it's all going further downhill I'm afraid

That's not true. Where I have the choice, I watch on the BBC. When I'm forced to, I watch the races live on Sky.

#1346 JonathanProc

JonathanProc

• 267 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:19

I generally enjoy the Sky commentary team, especially Brundle, but I noticed them making a lot more mistakes today than usual - Maybe it was just the excitement of the championship battle.
But did anyone else notice that it took them a while to realise that Lewis had passed Hulkenberg?

#1347 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:25

I generally enjoy the Sky commentary team, especially Brundle, but I noticed them making a lot more mistakes today than usual - Maybe it was just the excitement of the championship battle.
But did anyone else notice that it took them a while to realise that Lewis had passed Hulkenberg?

Have to say i noticed this too. And, briefly, Paul Di Resta was in a Sauber according to Crofty! Still, there was so much going on!

#1348 swerved

swerved

• 3,689 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:27

Yeah, and the fact that Crofty cant tell the difference between a Force India and a Sauber, he's absolutely useless.

#1349 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:33

Yeah, and the fact that Crofty cant tell the difference between a Force India and a Sauber, he's absolutely useless.

He has got repetitive and rather annoying to listen to I have to admit...

Any word on who is going to replace Jake as the Beebs lead presenter?

#1350 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:56

For the F1 fan, 2012 is a no brainer. (edited)

BBC - 10 races live, 10 edited highlights
SKY - ALL races live.

SKY win by default
/thread

Edited by Longtimefan, 25 November 2012 - 21:04.