Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#1351 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,655 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:02

For the 'true' F1 fan, 2012 is a no brainer.

BBC - 10 races live, 10 edited highlights
SKY - ALL races live.

SKY win by default
/thread

Your use of the word 'true' (fan) is not only provocative but false too. You can't claim the viewers of one channel are true fans and the others who don't or can't are not. What gives anyone the right to make a claim like that? How can someone's level of enthusiasm or support be measured by what channel they watch on? Ridiculous in the extreme.

Advertisement

#1352 fred54

fred54

• 192 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:02

Err ignore my post about Hamilton's first pit stop, it was the one that was botched and was clearly shown. :blush:

#1353 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,941 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:04

Your use of the word 'true' (fan) is not only provocative but false too. You can't claim the viewers of one channel are true fans and the others who don't or can't are not. What gives anyone the right to make a claim like that? How can someone's level of enthusiasm or support be measured by what channel they watch on? Ridiculous in the extreme.

okay, it was a bad choice of words, I'll give you that.

but still, when one offers all the races and another offer half, theres simply no contest.

#1354 amppatel

amppatel

• 458 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:07

Who is lead presenter next season for the BBC?

Edited by amppatel, 25 November 2012 - 22:09.

#1355 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,655 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:10

but still, when one offers all the races and another offer half, theres simply no contest.

I've never been bothered about the live element, more the content. I would accept the whole race delayed as I enjoy more social activities during the day on a Sunday. I prefer the quality of the Beeb and agree there isn't enough of it, but I feel frustrated when I watch Sky. That doesn't mean I am any less a fan than anybody else here. I dedicate considerable amounts of time following the sport so my commitment is never in doubt.

For clarity though, the BBC don't offer half the races, they offer half of them live. They show 70 to 75% of the content of the other races at a delayed time. Its not ideal but both channels have negatives which will always make it difficult for us to agree which is better at the delivery.

#1356 Pingu Pi

Pingu Pi

• 1,686 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:14

Crofty is pretty terrible at distinguishing cars and slow to pick up on events, Martin is guilty of being slow to take in events and understand the effect on the race.

Saying that I imagine its easier for us to sit here and throw our opinions on how events are unfolding as if they are facts, I guess they don't like to, when live infront of millions, as you can come across as a bit of a numptee if it wasn't to actually occur.

Sky takes the commentary for me for Brundle and Crofty's voice not being irritating so I can bare with his mistakes.

Pre and post race, I'll be honest I barely watch them now, I leave it on but usually I'm sat on here talking events, I'll pay attention if a driver interview pops up. Sky has the Martin's Gridwalk which I massively enjoy still and watch, so Sky win again as Coulthard on the grid doesn't appeal to me, the man has 5 brain cells, 1 for each sense that allows them to 'operate'.

Edited by Pingu Pi, 25 November 2012 - 21:15.

#1357 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,936 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:17

Georgie's profile wins. Oh yes. :D

#1358 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:18

For the F1 fan, 2012 is a no brainer. (edited)

BBC - 10 races live, 10 edited highlights
SKY - ALL races live.

[b]SKY win by default[b/]
/thread

Of course they do
Having only half the races surely doesn't suffice for the real F1 fan

I like EJ and the Beeb did very well but they have just lost out to Sky, it's no match really

#1359 Grenville

Grenville

• 30 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:21

Today's race was a joy to watch but Ben Edwards needs to control his yelling and shouting. Professional broadcasters need to convey the excitement without screaming and perhaps it is down to the pitch as dear old Murray Walker raised his voice on many occasions but it didn't distract the viewer.

Advertisement

#1360 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,903 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:32

Yeah the local TV director was pretty bad today. Reminded me of races in the 90s when you'd constantly be screaming in frustration at the TV because the Japanese director was showing Shinji Nakano fighting for 17th place, instead of the leaders.

FOM do pretty much every race now, including this 1.

#1361 KimiSolberg

KimiSolberg

• 70 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:36

A tribute to Jake Humphrey

(Start sentimental music. Voice of James Earl Jones narrates:)

Hello. My name is James Earl Jones and I have something to tell you: I know Jake Humphrey is not everybodys cup of tea, but he started as BBCs main F1 presenter at the same time as I got into F1 again. Together with Eddie and David, to me he´s as synonymous with F1 as red lights counting down, Grosjean wiping out and Vettel getting on pole again.
Having watched a lot of Sky and BBC F1 this year, I´m extra sorry to see him go. I really love his relaxed style and easy rapport with colleagues and others in the paddock. The alternative on Sky is just not for me. They are just trying too damn hard, like Mitt Romney trying to act natural during the election.

Now. Let´s take a moment and remember Jake. He was kind of teflony and sometimes made you embarassed - but compared to the convention of uncoolness and awkwardness called Sky F1, Jake and company are Woodward and Bernstein + 1 other guy from The Washington Post.

So. Who can fill his shoes? What can the scandal and money stricken BBC do to keep us watching? Will David take centre stage? Probably not as he´s also doing commentary. And Eddie does not have time for yachting AND presenting. Will Eddie and David stay on even? More after this brake.

(CNN jingle plays)

This is CNN.

Edited by KimiSolberg, 25 November 2012 - 21:39.

#1362 dave34m

dave34m

• 475 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:37

BBC covers all races live, they just aren't all broadcast in the Uk. We get the BBC coverage live here in New Zealand for every event. You could stream their coverage on the internet if you really wanted I would imagine

#1363 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,263 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:45

How is lead presenter next season for the BBC?

Which How?
Steve How?
Geoffrey How?
How now brown cow?
:drunk:
Jp

#1364 tomboyracer

tomboyracer

• 101 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:59

How is lead presenter next season for the BBC?

Does this mean How has sold Honda F1 team?!?!

#1365 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:03

I generally enjoy the Sky commentary team, especially Brundle, but I noticed them making a lot more mistakes today than usual - Maybe it was just the excitement of the championship battle.
But did anyone else notice that it took them a while to realise that Lewis had passed Hulkenberg?

Not sure how long it took them to realise this, but the BBC comm team took a few moments to realise it aswell.

#1366 Ellios

Ellios

• 1,143 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:08

I tried with the SKY package, I really wanted to be ok with it. I've always been a fan of Martin Brundle's commentary and thought it would be good change moving away from BBC

After a full season, for me...it's not been that great, Simon Lazenby is just awful, Crofty should stick to commentating on Darts, I'm sure Georgie Thompson could be way better, but doubt she will ever be given the chance.... the ex's of F1's driving community are fine, know what they are talking about, but seem to be restricted by the SKY tin of fruits, Ted's also great, but I actually think Gary Anderson is better

for me I appreciate the BBC delivery more, granted never perfect but it's just better, maybe a tad last of the summer wine about it, but that's not such a bad gripe

#1367 amppatel

amppatel

• 458 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:10

Which How?
Steve How?
Geoffrey How?
How now brown cow?
:drunk:
Jp

Does this mean How has sold Honda F1 team?!?!

Shhh! :)

#1368 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,941 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:54

BBC covers all races live, they just aren't all broadcast in the Uk. We get the BBC coverage live here in New Zealand for every event. You could stream their coverage on the internet if you really wanted I would imagine

I find it a bit disgusting that the people who actually PAY the BBC Licence fee, only get to see half of the races live, yet other places who don't pay, get them all.

#1369 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,201 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:55

By BBC coverage, dave34m is referring to commentary, BBC's commentary is heard in many places around the world.

#1370 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,316 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:07

Completely agree with tifosimac, KimiSolberg and Ellios. Jake era BBC has been the best F1 coverage we've ever had. I hope Brundle and Kravitz got paid a pretty penny as they are the only two reasons that the Sky coverage has had any real credibility. Even Damon Hill has been wooden and ill informed at times. Lazenby hasn't improved, you can't learn character.

#1371 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,662 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:41

I have been lucky enough to have access to the Sky races this year but I have not sat and watched both sets of commentary for the same race in order to evaluate them. I don't think that would be terribly helpful if I did anyway, since I would watch the second version in a more cold and analytical way than I would the live version so I couldn't see it ever being a fair comparison.

However, I would say that although I preferred listening to Ben Edwards and DC over Crofty and Brundle, I really think Sky has a winner with the Skypad analysis and little Ant doing his thing. You might not always agree with his conclusions but there's no doubt the analysis has been interesting. The BBC also has Gary Anderson who has been a revelation this year. He's gone into far more technical depth than we have seen previously and although early on there were some talking-over-radio-transmission moments I really hope they keep him around because he's added to my interest and knowledge. Can't say the same for Kravitz but he's simply not as knowledgeable as Anderson with his clipboard.

I hope the BBC rues the decision to reduce F1 coverage.

#1372 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,266 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:51

Brundle is much better than DC in every category so Sky was better for me.

#1373 Vereint

Vereint

• 91 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 00:01

Personally, I have been delighted with the Sky coverage. Entertaining and not dull, without the shocking three amigo act. Davidson and Herbert are better than anything on the BBC in similar positions. For me, Jake is a good presenter but the overuse of terrible comedy, and Eddie Jordan totally ruin the BBC coverage. Still think the BBC are too Red Bull focused too.

Is it just me, or is the HD picture on Sky better?

#1374 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 00:02

I have been lucky enough to have access to the Sky races this year but I have not sat and watched both sets of commentary for the same race in order to evaluate them. I don't think that would be terribly helpful if I did anyway, since I would watch the second version in a more cold and analytical way than I would the live version so I couldn't see it ever being a fair comparison.

However, I would say that although I preferred listening to Ben Edwards and DC over Crofty and Brundle, I really think Sky has a winner with the Skypad analysis and little Ant doing his thing. You might not always agree with his conclusions but there's no doubt the analysis has been interesting. The BBC also has Gary Anderson who has been a revelation this year. He's gone into far more technical depth than we have seen previously and although early on there were some talking-over-radio-transmission moments I really hope they keep him around because he's added to my interest and knowledge. Can't say the same for Kravitz but he's simply not as knowledgeable as Anderson with his clipboard.

I agree that his technical input has been great, but he is still talking over radio transmissions. Especially in practice sessions. Only a tiny little bone of contention though.

#1375 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 00:03

Sky was fine. There were no glaringly obvious faux-pas, yeah Lazenby is still a bit awkward, yeah the Sky pad is a bit redundant at times, yeah they got more pundits than they probably need, but at the end of the day they cover all the races, they cover all the news, they provide more depth than the BBC can provide and their commentary is generally decent, sure sometimes they miss stuff like today it took them a while to figure out Hamilton had overtaken Hulk but that's part of the parcel of live coverage, if your attention is distracted towards something else you can miss what's happening right in front of you.

I might watch the BBC coverage of the Brazilian GP just for comparison, but overall I was happy with Sky.

#1376 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,316 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 00:09

Is it just me, or is the HD picture on Sky better?

It is but only because Sky HD is transmitted at a higher bitrate than BBC HD, same FOM feed.

I watch pre race on BBC, race on Sky, immediate post race on BBC, then the additional coverage after BBC has gone off air on Sky :lol:

#1377 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,655 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:09

I agree on Edwards and DC, they are much better IMO. Anderson is brilliant and can't find a single fault with him really. Providing such in-depth analysis is valuable to the coverage and I hope he wants to stay on next season. The Beeb wouldn't get rid of him because the reaction from fans has been pretty much 100% positive.

The BBC has saved money so I doubt they are ruing the day they made the decision. If it wasn't for the fact they have reduced coverage for a few of the races, Sky wouldn't even be worthy of being compared as the quality is just lacking in every other area as far as I am concerned.

#1378 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:31

I find it a bit disgusting that the people who actually PAY the BBC Licence fee, only get to see half of the races live, yet other places who don't pay, get them all.

Is there an echo in here?

#1379 Fourjays

Fourjays

• 242 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:37

Personally, I have been delighted with the Sky coverage. Entertaining and not dull, without the shocking three amigo act. Davidson and Herbert are better than anything on the BBC in similar positions. For me, Jake is a good presenter but the overuse of terrible comedy, and Eddie Jordan totally ruin the BBC coverage. Still think the BBC are too Red Bull focused too.

My sentiments entirely. Not felt like I've missed anything from the BBC watching Sky-only this year. Although as I've said before I got thoroughly bored of the BBC's pre/post race coverage in 2011 and stopped bothering with it (stupid jokes, not enough focus on the race, RBR love fest). And before 2012 I was a staunch BBC supporter who thought Sky would do an even worst job. Been very pleasantly surprised all year. :up:

Advertisement

#1380 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:53

I've watched both all year.

I like the skypad presentation, but some of the sky presenters are too lightweight. Natalie Pinkham is a case in point, all inane laughter and nonsensical throw away lines. I don't think she does female presenters much justice - seems par for the course for most female presenters these days. Although Georgie Thompson is an exception to that rule. Lazenby looks out of his depth half the time (he was awful at the start of the season) and Ted Kravitz is the most smug man on the planet, while simultaneously not having anything to be smug about. Quite an achievement. Anderson is much better, despite not being really a TV man, as such.

Davidson and Herbert are great; Hill has really grown into the role after a nervy start and provides some great insight. Seems much more relaxed these days. McNish is also good.

Crofty is just annoying. The whole informal 'nickname' over familiarity grates with me. Like I should know him as someone I might meet down the pub who happens to be great at fruit machines or something. Idiot. Brundle and Coulthard were a great pairing and I just can't see past that.

I like the balance of the BBC presentation and prefer their commentary; despite the fact that everytime they get a live race, Hamilton DNFs.

#1381 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:01

Overall I now prefer Edwards and Coulthard for commentary, Anderson for tech and Lazenby, Brundle and Hill for pits.

Skypad brings very little of value imo.

#1382 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,312 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:04

I agree on Edwards and DC, they are much better IMO. Anderson is brilliant and can't find a single fault with him really. Providing such in-depth analysis is valuable to the coverage and I hope he wants to stay on next season. The Beeb wouldn't get rid of him because the reaction from fans has been pretty much 100% positive.

The BBC has saved money so I doubt they are ruing the day they made the decision. If it wasn't for the fact they have reduced coverage for a few of the races, Sky wouldn't even be worthy of being compared as the quality is just lacking in every other area as far as I am concerned.

Personally I have never liked Edwards commentary, all comes down to personal choice in that dept. As I've said before, the main thing is being able to watch the whole race, preferably live, I do watch it recorded when circumstances dictate. But it has to be the whole thing, highlights just do not do it for me. The BBC have saved money, but that has resulted in a diluted and inferior overall package.

#1383 Haribo

Haribo

• 715 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:08

SKY coverage has been great. BBC coverage (when live) has been great.

I think in the UK we're quite spoiled to have two networks doing a good job.

Lazenby isn't quite my cup of tea, and Damon Hill is more wooden than my table, but everyone else is fine. I sometimes find the "3 amigos" BBC style a little nauseating, but overall it has been good. It'll be interesting to see who takes over from Jake. Will Lee McKenzie take over as she did sub once before?

#1384 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,226 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:09

After watching most of the season on the BBC (who were competent but not amazing, Coulthard and Jordan are starting to grate on me) I watched the last couple of races on Sky.

I have to agree with most people here Simon Lazenby really lets the whole Sky team down, Brundle, Herbert and Hill are all doing an amazing job (even if Hill gets a bit awkward at times during interviews) but Simon Lazenby is out of his depth and feels like the new boy tagging along with his cool ex-F1 friends and isn't the presenter leading the show.

Georgie Thompson didn't seem to add that much to the show other than being the pretty lady stood with Anthony Davidson, who really shouldn't just be left out with his dumb replay touch screen all the time, he could do so much more.
The whole idea of the SkyPad didn't make a lot of sense to me, why would I want to watch people poke with a blurry zoomed out TV screen when they can show me the replays fullscreen.

Get rid of this pointlessness Sky.
Posted Image

In general I think the Sky broadcast was a little better than i'm used to on the BBC, but i'm not sure it's worth the extra £35 I had to pay to access Sky Go for the last couple of races.

#1385 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,884 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:17

I think the SkyPad has potential, but they quite often analysis mundane issues, like spending an age watching and re-watching Maldonado drive past the FIA weigh bridge.

I prefer the Sky coverage overall, based on Brundle and the pundits predominantly, but the team is bloated. Georgie is entirely pointless and Anderson is obviously superior to Ted.

The pre and post-race coverage is also bloated on Sky with infinite musical montages. The three amigos on BBC got tired years ago, so actually I've given up on all pre-race coverage until the gridwalk.

Edited by Disgrace, 26 November 2012 - 12:18.

#1386 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,655 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:27

Personally I have never liked Edwards commentary, all comes down to personal choice in that dept. As I've said before, the main thing is being able to watch the whole race, preferably live, I do watch it recorded when circumstances dictate. But it has to be the whole thing, highlights just do not do it for me. The BBC have saved money, but that has resulted in a diluted and inferior overall package.

We can agree to disagree on the commentary. You don't like Edwards I don't like Brundle, they suit our tastes differently. Highlights don't do it for me either but I don't really have a choice if I want to watch it delayed as I usually do. I can't record the race off Sky Go so have no choice but to wait. What I will say is when the BBC have it live they are better, but lose out ultimately because of the loss of 25% of some of the races. Its not ideal but we are diehard fans and can only follow with what we have available. I wish the Beeb had the whole race every race. Those with Sky could watch their preference and those who prefer the Beeb could do the same. It would enhance the viewership back up to 2011 figures and everyone would be happy. It really is shit for fans in general and those of you who have the choice are very lucky indeed.

I think in the UK we're quite spoiled to have two networks doing a good job.

I see this stated a lot and don't really understand it. The only people who are spoiled are those with access to both. If you haven't got something and mix with others that have, its a little difficult to take pride in just living in a country where some people have such good coverage.

#1387 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,226 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:30

The pre and post-race coverage is also bloated on Sky with infinite musical montages.

Yes I thought the musical montages using the Just Drive theme all the time was a little odd. The song was ok once at the end of the 2010 season on the BBC, but they play it constantly throughout the Sky broadcasts.

#1388 Haribo

Haribo

• 715 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:35

I see this stated a lot and don't really understand it. The only people who are spoiled are those with access to both. If you haven't got something and mix with others that have, its a little difficult to take pride in just living in a country where some people have such good coverage.

Compared to the rest of the world, yes we do have it pretty good. No adverts on either network during the race, informed commentary and full (maybe even over the top) coverage. There are many countries where all they get is one commentator in a studio, not at the track, who doesn't know what he is talking about. Compared to that - yes we are pretty spoilt

#1389 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,655 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:40

Compared to the rest of the world, yes we do have it pretty good. No adverts on either network during the race, informed commentary and full (maybe even over the top) coverage. There are many countries where all they get is one commentator in a studio, not at the track, who doesn't know what he is talking about. Compared to that - yes we are pretty spoilt

I don't watch coverage from anywhere else in the world so its irrelevant to me. If I was from another country and contributing on a forum based in that country, no doubt I would be vocal about how shit it is. Having our coverage reduced in the UK not only in length but in quality, does not exactly have me high fiving people and bragging about how good it is. 2011 was the best we ever had it, and now we have two channels both trying to compete to bring it back up to that level. One is still better but its the fans who have lost out ultimately. We were spoiled in 2010/11, now we are trying to see the best of a bad situation.

#1390 Haribo

Haribo

• 715 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:57

I don't watch coverage from anywhere else in the world so its irrelevant to me. If I was from another country and contributing on a forum based in that country, no doubt I would be vocal about how shit it is. Having our coverage reduced in the UK not only in length but in quality, does not exactly have me high fiving people and bragging about how good it is. 2011 was the best we ever had it, and now we have two channels both trying to compete to bring it back up to that level. One is still better but its the fans who have lost out ultimately. We were spoiled in 2010/11, now we are trying to see the best of a bad situation.

Well in that case, we're looking at things from different angles. I'm comparing the UK coverage to what other people in the world get, and my opinion is that it's pretty good. The recent BBC years were excellent, but it's in the past now. For whatever reason, the BBC decided they couldn't justify the cost, so there had to be a compromise. If SKY were the only ones willing to step into that void, then so be it. As far as I can tell, the coverage in the UK hasn't been reduced in length and quality at all. If you add up the hours of BBC and SKY, then we have more than ever with similar quality. I don't see one network as being better than the other - nor do I classify it as a bad situation. Perfect? No. But definitely not bad.

#1391 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,655 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:06

Well in that case, we're looking at things from different angles. I'm comparing the UK coverage to what other people in the world get, and my opinion is that it's pretty good. The recent BBC years were excellent, but it's in the past now. For whatever reason, the BBC decided they couldn't justify the cost, so there had to be a compromise. If SKY were the only ones willing to step into that void, then so be it. As far as I can tell, the coverage in the UK hasn't been reduced in length and quality at all. If you add up the hours of BBC and SKY, then we have more than ever with similar quality. I don't see one network as being better than the other - nor do I classify it as a bad situation. Perfect? No. But definitely not bad.

I can only add up the hours available to me and people in my situation, so for 3 million of us the coverage has reduced in length and quality. Neither channel is as good as the recent years on the BBC so that is what I mean by reduced quality.

#1392 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,161 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:25

I think the SkyPad has potential, but they quite often analysis mundane issues, like spending an age watching and re-watching Maldonado drive past the FIA weigh bridge.

I don't see the need to watch two people stand in front of a giant touchscreen watching various race incidents. Just give us a full screen replay with Ant or someone talking us through it - they can still pause or mark out things without us having half the screen wasted. And I've said it before, but Sky should really replace Lazenby with Georgie, she's a much better presenter (and a bit of a cutie :cat: ).

#1393 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,312 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:25

You think they are getting it for free? :rolleyes:

#1394 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,791 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 15:15

I think the BBC has been better but the problem being, in only covers half the races live.

DC's grid-walks are better than Martin Brundle's IMO. Brundle always talks to the same guys which is a little boring. Why not occasionally head towards the back of the grid?

Crofty has been beaten hands down by the excitable Ben Edwards. Lee McKenzie is better than Pinky too.

I think Sky should use Georgie more. Her F1 show presenting and FP3 has been better than anything from Simon.

McNish and to a slightly lesser extent, Herbert have been the best thing on Sky IMO.

One liner of the season was from DC - something about always needing your nuts (in Singapore I think)

Edited by Jon83, 26 November 2012 - 15:16.

#1395 Risil

Risil

• 13,897 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 15:29

And Gary Anderson's been brilliant as roving pit reporter. Really makes you wonder how they did without him.

Edited by Risil, 26 November 2012 - 15:30.

#1396 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,476 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:04

However, I would say that although I preferred listening to Ben Edwards and DC over Crofty and Brundle

From what I'v e seen I prefer BE over Crofty and over the whole year preferred Brundle over DC - but in Brazil Brundle was simply completely on the wrong foot time and again.

Making Vettel in a anyway responsible for his collision with Senna was just ridiculous in view of both the overhead helicopter shot and the in car view from Vettel's car.
Seeing a red-and-yellow flag as a yellow flag and building a whole story about that clearly false impression (from what I've seen that red-and-yellow flag was there for ages) is just shameful and unacceptable.

#1397 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,625 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:16

Brundle is much better than DC in every category so Sky was better for me.

Brundle has totally lost his mojo, nowhere near as clever and funny as DC, also if you pay careful attention you'll notice just how fast DC at evaluating what's happened, he is incredible observant.
Brundle seems first and foremost interest in himself and what he knows and what he can do and his analysis and is quite a grumpy faced arrogant 'I know better' character. He wasn't like that before he was just good at his job and insightful, things have definitely changed though.
Eddie Jordan could have been rubbish but the other two have embraced his qualities, given him a place and help him in that place. They bring his strengths out really well instead of ignoring his quirks.

Lee McKenzie, Gary Anderson, Jake, DC and Eddie were a fantastic team. I have the choice, I can watch either SKY or BBC and its an easy choice, BBC all the way. I would never sit and chose the rubbish Georgi Thompson either, I was embarrassed when I first met her and she knew nothing about F1, very cringe worthy.
Simon is a nice guy but not at the same level, nothing against him though. David Croft is another personally I've met and talked to at length about F1, I think he drowns his thoughts with his extra loud voice though, he's no different to talking to some punter down the pub, learnt not a thing chatting to him for 15 minutes.

#1398 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,941 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:24

You think they are getting it for free? :rolleyes:

congrats for totally and utterly missing my point.

#1399 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,266 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 23:29

Your point was wrong though. The NZ broadcaster is paying Bernie whatever he commanded so they could show all the races live. They will have most likely paid additional to the BBC for their commentary.

Advertisement

#1400 Fudce

Fudce

• 289 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:08

So the moral of the season...

Those who like the Sky team better - watch it on Sky and don't worry about those who like the BBC team.

Those who like the BBC team better - watch it on the BBC and don't worry about those who like the Sky team.

Those who don't mind either team, rejoice, and watch whichever you choose.

There's no reason to argue over which team is better.