Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#1401 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:26

congrats for totally and utterly missing my point.

So what was your point then?

Advertisement

#1402 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,407 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:51

Making Vettel in a anyway responsible for his collision with Senna was just ridiculous in view of both the overhead helicopter shot and the in car view from Vettel's car.

No, no, no and no. THis is not really a grey area, it's black and white. Senna made a legitmate pass on one car and HELD HIS LINE into the corner, he did not over shoot the turn. The man on the outside, Vettel in this case, went wide and then assumed the racing line as if nobody was there! In a contest for the corner the outside man MUST allow room for the inside man to make the corner, full stop, there is no grey area. I said EXACTLY the same thing when Kubica came across and whacked vettel in Melbourne, so it's not like I am picking on Vettel.

IMHO Vettel just did not see Senna there but he never, ever has the right, as the outside man, to cut across and assume the apex in a contested corner.

#1403 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,631 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:28

No, no, no and no. THis is not really a grey area, it's black and white. Senna made a legitmate pass on one car and HELD HIS LINE into the corner, he did not over shoot the turn. The man on the outside, Vettel in this case, went wide and then assumed the racing line as if nobody was there! In a contest for the corner the outside man MUST allow room for the inside man to make the corner, full stop, there is no grey area. I said EXACTLY the same thing when Kubica came across and whacked vettel in Melbourne, so it's not like I am picking on Vettel.

IMHO Vettel just did not see Senna there but he never, ever has the right, as the outside man, to cut across and assume the apex in a contested corner.

Completely incorrect. If this were the case, a divebomb at any corner would result in a legitimate pass, which is not true.

The key is not who has the inside, or who turns in when. The key is the speed they are carrying into the corner. Senna was going much too fast to make the corner (just because he was pointing at the apex on the way in, doesn't mean he was going to keep the car on the track on the way out), he was no where near Vettel at the point Vettel turned in - positioning and turn in is only relevant if Senna has already got alongside in the braking zone.

Senna came from many car lengths back and t-boned an already-turning Vettel. Completely Senna's fault. Fortunately (miraculously, considering the damage), that moment of incompetence didn't cost Vettel his shot at the title.

#1404 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,870 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:16

So the moral of the season...

Those who like the Sky team better - watch it on Sky and don't worry about those who like the BBC team.

Those who like the BBC team better - watch it on the BBC and don't worry about those who like the Sky team.

Those who don't mind either team, rejoice, and watch whichever you choose.

There's no reason to argue over which team is better.

:up:

Yep - 1400 posts just reinforcing entrenched views.

#1405 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:42

Asked a couple of questions on the Sky forum about next years coverage.

They have confirmed the races will be ad free, but won't confirm that the channel will still be part of the HD subscription. Sounds very much like it will move into the Sky Sports subscription or have an additional fee.

#1406 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,235 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 18:42

So the moral of the season...

Those who like the Sky team better - watch it on Sky and don't worry about those who like the BBC team.

Those who like the BBC team better - watch it on the BBC and don't worry about those who like the Sky team.

Those who don't mind either team, rejoice, and watch whichever you choose.

There's no reason to argue over which team is better.

Well, couple other factors such as:

a) Only Sky show all the races so it isn't a choice a lot of the time.
b) Arguing over petty things is what the internet was invented for.

Asked a couple of questions on the Sky forum about next years coverage.

They have confirmed the races will be ad free, but won't confirm that the channel will still be part of the HD subscription. Sounds very much like it will move into the Sky Sports subscription or have an additional fee.

I thought you needed Sky Sports already for F1HD. Wasted a bit of money this summer! Although the Ryder Cup was pretty awesome...

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 29 November 2012 - 18:44.

#1407 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,147 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 18:57

I thought you needed Sky Sports already for F1HD. Wasted a bit of money this summer! Although the Ryder Cup was pretty awesome...

Nope, this year you either needed the HD pack or the Sports pack.

#1408 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 507 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 19:14

Still Sky for me although, having just dropped Sky Sports and Sky Movies because I felt I was paying too much for things I no longer watched, I may well end up back at the beeb if Sky stop showing F1 HD free to those with the HD package. I don't dislike the BBC coverage, I just prefer the Sky coverage.

Just a thought - for those on here who are heavily criticising the various presenters and commentators/pundits, please would you get together with a number of your expert armchair critics and do a live show for me and post it on YouTube. Has to be full TV screen + timing screens + presenting the whole show + live race commentary and live analysis + post-race analysis. Gee. I can't wait for the results and it will be so much better than what the professionals currently do..... :drunk:

#1409 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 19:57

Just a thought - for those on here who are heavily criticising the various presenters and commentators/pundits, please would you get together with a number of your expert armchair critics and do a live show for me and post it on YouTube. Has to be full TV screen + timing screens + presenting the whole show + live race commentary and live analysis + post-race analysis. Gee. I can't wait for the results and it will be so much better than what the professionals currently do..... :drunk:

What a lame argument, so you are saying just because they are paid to do it then they are all commentating gods? seriously what a rubbish argument.

#1410 Risil

Risil

• 13,424 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 21:49

Meh, there's probs enough talent in the Atlas F1 ranks to do a pretty good job. Reckon the appearance fees'd be too steep though. :drunk:

#1411 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 507 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 17:01

What a lame argument, so you are saying just because they are paid to do it then they are all commentating gods? seriously what a rubbish argument.

No, not all. I think those are your words, not mine. I'm suggesting they're better than anyone on this forum would be, that's all.

#1412 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,896 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 17:50

The worst commentator in the world will be better than anyone who isn't a commentator. Let's aim a little higher.

#1413 ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer

• 57 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 19:35

SkySport's Simon Lazenby and David Croft are pretty terrible....

Having said that, Sky's got a really competent team of Brundle, Hebert, Hill, Davidson & Ted.

SkySport > BBC for me.

#1414 PEW

PEW

• 1,064 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 19:55

The worst commentator in the world will be better than anyone who isn't a commentator. Let's aim a little higher.

Am I the only person who would prefer a no commentary option?
After several years subscribing to Premerie , I was relieved when Sky Germany bought them out that the BBC offered this option. Since Spa '12 they seem to have dropped it and although Sky offer natural sound on the pit lane, on-boards and timing options they don't on the main screen.

I find commentary intrusive for the race though companiable for FP sessions.

I have noted several comments when commentary hnas failed in F

#1415 PEW

PEW

• 1,064 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 19:57

Free practice sessions appreciating the natural sound

whoops prsssed wrong key

#1416 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,113 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 22:32

Free practice sessions appreciating the natural sound

whoops prsssed wrong key

YOU could type &/@:nendjdjejxjsj, hit post and it would still be more valid than 95% of what's on here my dear PEW

#1417 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:58

Anyone have a clue what the name of the orchestral piece is that was used in Sky's montage thingy?

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

#1418 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 23:22

http://www.telegraph...rix-season.html

Suzi tops list to replace Jake on BBC.

#1419 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 23:46

She's OK I guess and would prefer her over Jake anyway
Still think they should give the job to Lee, experience, knowledge and great chemistry with the drivers

Advertisement

#1420 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:56

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

#1421 pRy

pRy

• 10,845 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:05

She's OK I guess and would prefer her over Jake anyway
Still think they should give the job to Lee, experience, knowledge and great chemistry with the drivers

Perhaps that's an argument for Lee staying where she is. As the person who fronts the show she wouldn't get much time with the drivers really. I quite like the idea of Suzy replacing Jake and Lee retaining her current role.

#1422 Prancing Horse

Prancing Horse

• 53 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:08

I would be very surprised if Lee McKenzie stays on and works alongside Suzi Perry if she gets the job, a move to Sky perhaps, she did work there before.

#1423 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,490 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:37

Suzi did a good job on MotoGP a few years ago and she's into her motorsport so I could think of worst people. Either Lee or Suzi would make good presenters for me. I can't see Lee jumping ship for Sky anytime soon and would be disappointed if she did.

#1424 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,991 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:41

Anyone have a clue what the name of the orchestral piece is that was used in Sky's montage thingy?

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Sarabande by Handel.

#1425 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,490 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:45

No, not all. I think those are your words, not mine. I'm suggesting they're better than anyone on this forum would be, that's all.

I think its possible to criticise people who are employed to do a job considering that is their chosen career path. I'm a product designer and some of the best critique you can get is from average consumers/users and people who are using a product for the first time. People know what they like and how something interacts with their preferences. You don't have to have a broadcasting degree to know who you like presenting on TV. Asking someone to do something they are not trained in just to prove a lame point is ridiculous. If you were to say I don't like that car, my response 'could' be to ask you to design a better one. But that's stupid isn't it? Anybody is qualified to give opinions on a service.

#1426 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,147 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:25

Sky win FIA award: http://www1.skysport...Sky-Sports-F1HD

But the main bit I am interested in...

Sky Sports F1 HD will continue throughout the winter with regular F1 programming as well as coverage of the build-up to the new season including all three February tests.

Live coverage = highly unlikely. But an F1 Show at the end of each day or end of each test? I'd say that's likely myself.

#1427 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:01

Live coverage = highly unlikely. But an F1 Show at the end of each day or end of each test? I'd say that's likely myself.

Hopefully!

#1428 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,896 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:18

That sounds like what they've been doing already with the interviews and what not?

#1429 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,147 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:31

That sounds like what they've been doing already with the interviews and what not?

They had live bits with Rachel Brookes and Craig Slater over on Sky Sports News every few hours, but no proper show.

#1430 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,656 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:35

Didn't the bbc do a bit of testing coverage too? Albeit mainly interviews and internet only uploads...

#1431 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,896 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:09

They had live bits with Rachel Brookes and Craig Slater over on Sky Sports News every few hours, but no proper show.

The way the sentence was worded, it reads like doing what they've been doing now.

#1432 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,147 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 13:08

Well the Sky Sports F1 channel didn't launch until March, so we shall see...

#1433 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,537 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 16:25

Does anyone know if there'll be any new features on Sky Sports F1 over the christmas period?
Couldnt be that hard to schedule a couple of legends interviews....

#1434 Exb

Exb

• 1,117 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 16:52

There is an F1 show on Christmas day and then half hour review shows for each team running up to New Year. Not sure if there are any new Legend programs.

#1435 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 17:13

There is an F1 show on Christmas day and then half hour review shows for each team running up to New Year. Not sure if there are any new Legend programs.

That is pretty good :up:

anything on the BBC?

#1436 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 17:27

Season review on the 29th December.

#1437 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 17:33

Season review on the 29th December.

those are usually pretty good from the BBC too

#1438 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 21:54

Brilliant F1 review on BBC SPOTY, all 10 seconds of it.

Apparently the rest of it is being shown on Sky though.

#1439 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 22:42

Brilliant F1 review on BBC SPOTY, all 10 seconds of it.

Apparently the rest of it is being shown on Sky though.

LOL

Now you've done it ;)
The usual I-can't-afford-Sky-hence-BBC-is-great-posse are going to be furious with you

Advertisement

#1440 AlanK

AlanK

• 58 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 23:20

There you go bashing the beeb again! Actually, I think it was at least 30 seconds! Obviously enough time to cover the amazing season we had.

In all honesty I am disgusted but not suprised. Thank god for SKY because the BBC showed thier cards tonight.

#1441 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,896 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 23:23

What, not giving a lot of time to a sport that didn't have any representatives in the awards?

#1442 AlanK

AlanK

• 58 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 23:46

I didn`t see any footballers nominated and we had Man C v Man U. Chelsea in Europe. Spain ruling the world and Fabrice Muamba.

#1443 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,896 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 00:00

I think, think, football is kinda popular in Britain.

#1444 AlanK

AlanK

• 58 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 00:19

And F1 isn`t !?!

#1445 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,896 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 00:25

As much as football? Not even close.

#1446 AlanK

AlanK

• 58 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 00:47

When the F1 races were exclusively on a free view channel like the BBC they have achieved viewing figures between 6-8 million. ( I believe a peak of 13 million watched Jenson win in Canada ) That is more than the viewing figures for premiership football. Fact.
The Man U v Man C derby last week attracted 4 million viewers. A new record.
Recent F1 viewing figures

Football viewing

As you can see, F1 attracts as many viewers as football. The coverage on sports personality tonight was disproportionate.

Edited by D.M.N., 17 December 2012 - 12:41.

#1447 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,896 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 00:52

How often is premiership football on the BBC in primetime?

#1448 AlanK

AlanK

• 58 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 00:57

I refer you to my edited post above. Also, remember that after the world cup and olympics, F1 is the most watched sport globally. Considering the other two happen every 4 years and are considered special events and F1 has 20 races annually this is some achievement.

I do not claim F1 is more popular than football. I do claim that tonights coverage of F1 on the BBC was dis proportionate to the other sports. I saw more curling!

#1449 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,896 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:07

F1 isn't as big in Britain as people would like you to believe. It's 'okay' but it doesn't have anywhere near the cultural penetration that football does.

#1450 AlanK

AlanK

• 58 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:07

To tell you the truth, I am undecided on whether SKY will be good or bad for F1 in this country. They are taking away coverage to a huge slice of the casual viewers but you could argue that they did that with football but ended up creating a monster.
Like I said before, football will never be caught in terms of popularity, its our national sport.
But.....more people attended the british grand prix weekend than any other sporting event this year and in awful conditions. More people watch F1 on tv than football. Yes because they have easier access to it through the BBC live/highlights coverage but even so, its hugely popular. 30 seconds on a channel we pay for at the end of year bash was disgraceful.