Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#101 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,056 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 20:09

Can JV shut up now ? he's making himself look very stupid with his whining and moaning about DRS - the fact that Lewis was 1 or 2 seconds a lap quicker obviously had nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#102 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 20:10

I watched this race on my iPhone using the Sky Sports TV app, was pretty impressed! Small screen but great quality and only cost £4.99! Couldn't justify paying for a monthly Sky Go ticket this month considering Valencia and Silvo will be on the BBC live.

It's races like this where the BBC really lose out, highlights at half ten at night for a race like Canada is dire.

#103 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 20:11

Can JV shut up now ? he's making himself look very stupid with his whining and moaning about DRS - the fact that Lewis was 1 or 2 seconds a lap quicker obviously had nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

Agreed. He likes to be so controversial it almost desperate.

#104 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 20:13

Aye, I've resisted saying it all weekend, but shut up Jacques. Hamilton would of got past both Vettel and Alonso easily at the same time without DRS.

#105 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 335 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 20:25

JV is such a stick in the mud!!

Edited by Smitla321, 10 June 2012 - 20:30.

#106 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 335 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 20:36

Sorry to post again....

But what the **** JV?! First comment to Lewis was about how "Relaxed" his overtake was.........

I love the legends and have great respect for them, but what a prick........

Edited by Smitla321, 10 June 2012 - 20:37.

#107 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 20:38

Mario Andretti. Legend

#108 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,883 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 20:39

Good to see them talking to the legendary Mario but Emmo is there too, talk to Emmo!!

#109 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 20:41

Sorry to post again....

But what the **** JV?! First comment to Lewis was about how "Relaxed" his overtake was.........

I think he has been pretty good this weekend.

#110 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,706 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 20:45

I think he has been pretty good this weekend.

I think he's been good, too. I can see his point on DRS, too, though I think he overstates the issue and has a bit too much of a bee in his bonnet about it.

#111 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 20:49

Does anybody know what the name of the music track that was played during the race highlight feature on the Sky F1 show at around 21:45 tonight? It's doing my head in!

#112 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:01

Does anybody know what the name of the music track that was played during the race highlight feature on the Sky F1 show at around 21:45 tonight? It's doing my head in!

Kurtis mantronik. Presents chaminox.
How did you know.

I think!

#113 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:08

Kurtis mantronik. Presents chaminox.
How did you know.

I think!

That's it! Thank you!! I'd never have got that in a million years haha :drunk:

#114 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,188 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:13

Sorry to post again....

Your Sorry?
Really?

He is the only pundit to say what the drivers are thinking..(and are not allowed to say themselves)

More JV
Less bulletin board ignorance.

Jp

#115 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,414 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:20

11 minutes until BBC coverage begins.. Woohoo!

#116 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:22

That's it! Thank you!! I'd never have got that in a million years haha :drunk:

I have it on my phone so did a quick search!

#117 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:23

This would kill me having to wait this long before I could watch the race.

I would watch the highlights. But after 5 hours of F1, I think my missus would kill me.

#118 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,822 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:38

:up: On it.

#119 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,075 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:39

:up: On it.

So much less stressful, can actually enjoy the race now :)

Advertisement

#120 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:40

In bed ready to enjoy the race again on the BBC.

#121 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 21:54

Same I didn't plan it but I'm watching again. Forgive me for gloating at Vettel and Alonso telling them how they're gonna lose the race :D :p

#122 WonderboyF1

WonderboyF1

• 115 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 22:12

Croft was terrible today, particulary on two occasions which really made me cringe, he pratically admited the race had got boring live on air, when comparing to test cricket, and the whole 1 second thing with Nicole, was shocking, not funny in anyway. "im sure thats not the only time shes been dissapointed with 1.5 seconds" for those that missed it, while he giggled like a school girl. Watching Beeb the now, Ben Edwards isnt much better, but hey who am i to say, jus an opinion, i certainly couldnt do a better job thats for sure, generally im really happy with the Sky coverage tho, i think they are doing a fantastic job.

#123 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 713 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 22:13

Thought Jacques was great, would like him to do it again.
Also got to say the coverage got a lot better since the start after Johnny Herbert joined, adds a lot of personality, less "here's what happened, here's what's going to happen", always got that mischievous look on his face.

#124 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 713 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 22:21

Croft was terrible today, particulary on two occasions which really made me cringe, he pratically admited the race had got boring live on air, when comparing to test cricket, and the whole 1 second thing with Nicole, was shocking, not funny in anyway. "im sure thats not the only time shes been dissapointed with 1.5 seconds" for those that missed it, while he giggled like a school girl. Watching Beeb the now, Ben Edwards isnt much better, but hey who am i to say, jus an opinion, i certainly couldnt do a better job thats for sure, generally im really happy with the Sky coverage tho, i think they are doing a fantastic job.

Agreed, he's really pissed me off this weekend, first in practice when he showed he's blind or stupid after cars were obviously slowing down on the back straight to give themselves room for a flyer and when they crossed the line he'd look at the time and declare "Testing their long run pace." Also agreed his jokes are shit, he just seems generally clueless, he tries to impart his cringe worthily inaccurate knowledge and is then swiftly corrected by whichever professional is on hand. Also missing clear parts of the race such as Kobayashi coming out in front of Schumacher and him proceeding to say "Schumacher is chasing down Di Resta in the car in front." Much preferred Brundle and Coulthard thinking back and preferred Jake of Simon, every time Simon is giving an interview it's like an interrogation, I'm sat there thinking back off mate, he doesn't have to talk to you at all and you're grilling him on his teams mistakes. Love Johnny Herbert though, absolute lad and Brundle is predictably good, as is Ted.

#125 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 22:24

Your Sorry?
Really?

He is the only pundit to say what the drivers are thinking..(and are not allowed to say themselves)

More JV

Jp

How do we know he knows what the drivers are thinking? :|

#126 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,699 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 22:37

Is there a bbc canada forum?

#127 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 22:37

Is there a bbc canada forum?

Probably be on the website only.

#128 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 22:59

I've watched both broadcast today, and yes I've gotta say the BBC's team is just better. Crofty was quite poor today, not that he's been that good in the race on either Sky or the BBC, and as much as I like Brundle it doesn't make up for having Edwards and DC who are working well.

Same goes for the pundits, I really don't like JV so I may be somewhat biased today, but Simon isn't working for me, Herbert is alright but not the best, and having Hill on is plain boring (he's a great guy but not for TV). I was just sitting around waiting for Brundle to come along post-race. Jake, Eddie and DC are the better trio.

Edited by Fastcake, 10 June 2012 - 23:04.

#129 swerved

swerved

• 3,609 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 23:02

I've watched both broadcast today, and yes I've gotta say the BBC's team is just better. Crofty is really poor, and as much as I like Brundle having Edwards and DC is just better. Same goes for the pundits, I really don't like JV so I may be somewhat biased, but I think DC and Eddie are simply better.

I agree, once again the bbc take the laurels :up:

As far as JV goes, the best thing he said was "bye".

#130 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 23:05

Its almost as if Crofty doesn't enjoy it.

#131 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,414 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 23:10

we missed Lewis getting out of the car and bear hugging Martin :(

#132 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 00:18

I really hope that Mario Andretti joins Sky as a guest pundit for the US GP. He's a fun guy to have on the screen. :up:

#133 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,708 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 00:19

I liked the BBC's substitute pitlane interviewer - his style was completely the opposite to McKenzie's, asking specific questions and getting specific answers, even if he was occasionally shot down immediately a couple of times. Not that I'm criticising McKenzie's open-ended approach to interviewing, but it was interesting to hear a different strategy to make the drivers say interesting things. :lol:

It was also a relief to get highlights that were slightly but noticeably longer than in the Bahrain show.

#134 Siperoth

Siperoth

• 321 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 00:33

Damn that Lazenby guy has become one big joke. Always awkward atmosphere with him trying to talk. along with the others. Seriously how is he still there?
I could say that is not like i could do better but actually i think i could, That's how bad he is.

#135 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 00:41

I don't know why so many people hate on Simon Lazenby. He's nothing special at all, but he doesn't strike me as being annoying or anything either. What exactly is it that a lot of you guys don't like about him? I feel that he works well with Johnny Herbert.

Also I was very happy to see a much more chummy atmosphere with the Sky crew in the post race bits. There were a lot of really humourous moments I felt. Martin Whitmarsh and Sergio Perez seemed right at home in the company of the Sky guys. I was in stitches over Sergio's reply to the "why have you stopped less than any other driver this year?" Sergio didn't miss a beat and immediately shot back, "I'm helping the team save money" or something along those lines. :lol:

I wasn't a big Perez fan before, but he's a genuinely likeable fellow and his sense of humour is bang on. :up:

#136 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,883 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:12

I'm still sulking because Emmo was there and Sky didn't interview him. :(

#137 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 335 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:46

Your Sorry?
Really?

More JV

Jp

Alright mate, just apologised for multiple posts, no need to take the mick......

He is entitled to his opinion, but he was harping on and on and on about it. It's what we have JV, so deal with it.

After a race winner takes time to talk to the press after a victory, calls them all legends and states how proud he is to be stood with them, to then be instantly heckled by said legend (JV) about how "easy" Nando and Lewis were driving at the hairpin before the DRS zone.

Lewis: I was relaxed

LV: Yeah........it looked relaxed

It's flat out disrespectfull.

Edited by Smitla321, 11 June 2012 - 09:36.

#138 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,183 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:00

No BBC forum this week.

#139 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,748 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:54

I've defended Simon but the last few races, I think he has been awful.

I'd actually replace him with Georgie.

Advertisement

#140 Siperoth

Siperoth

• 321 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:16

I don't know why so many people hate on Simon Lazenby. He's nothing special at all, but he doesn't strike me as being annoying or anything either. What exactly is it that a lot of you guys don't like about him? I feel that he works well with Johnny Herbert.

Is not about how annoying he can be. Is about being a presenter. He really sucks at it. He always seems uncomfortable(it's been 7 races already) and like he really doesn't know what to say or ask which creates a very awkward atmosphere when he tries to cooperate with the others and have a conversation with anyone. The weird awkwardness also results in him making fake laughs all the time that DO get annoying. He simply can't handle it. Is like the role is too big for him and his too afraid. He always ends up looking like an ass trying to keep cool and smart but always failing and Brundle just watching him making the fake laugh of nervousness without finding anything funny and with a look on his face of "what is this idiot doing?" .
A presenter has to make the stage his own and has to give you the sense that what he was born on doing what he does, that his like at home. Lazenby is the exact opposite of that. His the epitome of nervousness and awkwardness, every time i watch him i feel like his suffering to get threw it and at the end goes home thanking God another GP finished.

Edited by Siperoth, 11 June 2012 - 09:18.

#141 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 752 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:18

Jeez, lighten up. He was having a laugh. Plus it was bloody boring halfway through.

His Murrayism made me laugh - "he almost hit the tree that wasn't there!"

#142 Peat

Peat

• 1,234 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:31

With regards to Crofty, yeah, there was a few cringy bits, but tbh, if you are listening to the commentator verbatum then you are going to notice these things. I never tend to listen to them too deeply, just the radios and the pitlane bods really.

in practice when he showed he's blind or stupid after cars were obviously slowing down on the back straight to give themselves room for a flyer and when they crossed the line he'd look at the time and declare "Testing their long run pace."

To be fair to the guy, you are watching 1 screen, he has several monitor's, a wall full of trivia to fill dead-air and a window to look out of. I think he can be forgiven for missing that, personally.

#143 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,608 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:42

i'm not sure if i'm taking GPs seriously any more....i don't seem to be wound up by one thing that a commentator says in a 2+hour broadcast and while i can appreciate and agree with the fact that GT should be presenting the programme now i'm not disgusted or disappointed or embarrassed by Lazenby. I liked that Crofty was able to suggest that the GP has some quieter bits rather than the commentary we've had in the past that every race is THE MOST EXCITING EVAH!!! and that Brundle was able to tell him to hang in there and wait for it to go off (like it did! lol).....

.....but most of all, and i'm not sure whether this was the first time or whether i'd missed em, we had Nigel Roebuck's interview piece with Gilles before the race....i'll forgive Sky a hell of a lot for stuff like that to be included (i think there's a series in it....its not like he hasn't got enough interviews over the years and it would be a delight to watch....personal recollections of those we are sadly unable to interview for the 'Legends' series...)

Encore!!

#144 jason1989

jason1989

• 44 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:48

Wasn't impressed with sky this week.

Martins grid walk:
Didn't talk to ONE driver, spent too much time talking to guests so missed any chance to talk to a driver.

Race commentary:
The joke about Nicola not being happy? Bad taste and should never laugh at your own jokes.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't croft, at one point talking about Alonso "leading this Spanish grand prix" I may be wrong.

Post race interviews:
The interview of Schumacher was horrible, the questions almost seemed to annoy him.

Also, it may just be me again, but they repeat clips 2 or more times to fill time.
Simons just stands there with a stupid smile on his face, looks so fake.
And JV seemed to only be on there to ask about DRS and try and provoke drivers into saying bad about it.

I do like Herbert, and thought that he was almost talking over the lead presenter of the show, and think he should.

#145 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:11

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't croft, at one point talking about Alonso "leading this Spanish grand prix" I may be wrong.

I caught that as well, but it was just a slip of the tongue obviously. The wrong word came out while he was busy focusing on a Spanish driver. Every commentator since the dawn of time has made this mistake before, so it wasn't too big of a deal. I caught Coulthard doing it a few times last year and once this year when I followed the BBC feed, but nobody seemed to bring that up.

I feel bad for Croft. He seems like a genuinely likeable and passionate guy. While I like Lazenby too, I can understand why people may not like him... but Croft? He's a pretty decent fellow. He doesn't yell endlessly or gush over drivers like James Allen, and he isn't as out of tune as Jonathan Legard. Even Ben Edwards is a lot noisier than Croft. So the guy might make a joke every now and then or let the wrong word slip out, no biggy. It happens to everyone.

And on Herbert, I agree 100%. He's as made for this side of F1 just as much as Brundle. He'd be a fantastic lead presenter and I probably would prefer him over Lazenby. I was getting a kick out of Johnny yesterday in the post race segments as he carried on with everyone.

Johnny Herbert is definitely the kind of guy Sky needs if they want to beat BBC's post race coverage.

Edited by UPRC, 11 June 2012 - 11:20.

#146 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,748 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:35

Wasn't impressed with sky this week.

Martins grid walk:
Didn't talk to ONE driver, spent too much time talking to guests so missed any chance to talk to a driver.

Race commentary:
The joke about Nicola not being happy? Bad taste and should never laugh at your own jokes.

Post race interviews:
The interview of Schumacher was horrible, the questions almost seemed to annoy him.

Also, it may just be me again, but they repeat clips 2 or more times to fill time.
Simons just stands there with a stupid smile on his face, looks so fake.
And JV seemed to only be on there to ask about DRS and try and provoke drivers into saying bad about it.

I do like Herbert, and thought that he was almost talking over the lead presenter of the show, and think he should.

I wish Johnny would announce when a break is coming up instead of Simon telling us 'on the other side of which'

#147 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 192 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:13

First experience of Sky since the opening weekend for me.

Lazenby reminds me of Jim Rosenthal, stilted and awkward; although he doesn't gurn whilst listening to the producer in his earpiece quite so bad... The bit were Brundle made a joke which was slightly near the mark and he responded with a 'quip' about the watershed was uncomfortable to watch.

Having said that, Johnny was made for this and was just great, a real find for Sky and like a lot of people have said would be the perfect anchor for the show. The Gilles feature was also fab.

#148 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 713 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 15:56

I don't know why so many people hate on Simon Lazenby. He's nothing special at all, but he doesn't strike me as being annoying or anything either.

As I mentioned earlier:

every time Simon is giving an interview it's like an interrogation, I'm sat there thinking back off mate, he doesn't have to talk to you at all and you're grilling him on his teams mistakes.

It just really bugs me that he seems to think he's so important and can just go in asking sometimes quite offensive questions, I also hate his nervous laugh that he does a lot, the way he stands too close to the person he's interviewing, for some reason I feel that he's not really a true fan of F1 either, doesn't really understand the sport, but that could just be a very unfair assumption I'm making from what he says about the racing.
IMO they need to ditch Lazenby and Croft, get Brundle and Coulthard commentating as I thought they went well together. Johnny Herbert should be the lead presenter although that might be difficult as he doesn't have any experience of presenting as such, obviously keep Ted and I think Natalie Pinkham does a good job as well, I think a driver is more receptive to her charms to give an interview than they would if it was just Ted's mug on the other side of the microphone, keep Anthony Davidson on Free Practice and let Croft do it as well and have Damon Hill and David Coulthard alongside Johnny Herbert as the main presenting team or get Jake doing it with Johnny and one of the others if a professional presenter is necessary, oh and keep Eddie Jordan as far away as possible, I like my sentences to have a beginning, a middle, and an end, in that order.

#149 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 16:46

I'll probably get killed for saying this but.............i'd like Georgie to anchor the Sky coverage.

No, its not because i'm a chauvinist or anything its because i really think as an anchor to hold things together and let the others do all the important talking without being a nuisance she is very good, much better than Simon thats for sure. He's not terrible in my opinion just awkward and constantly has a (distracting) strained expression on his face.

#150 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,056 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 16:54

Quite funny people moaning about Crofty, when he was at the BBC everyone would post about how he was the best out there and they'd turn down the TV to listen to him, now he's on TV he's awful ?

I think having JV there disturbed Lazenby, he's been better than that lately.