Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#1501 MinT

MinT

• 2,029 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 14:18

A great choice by the BBC. Suzi has always been passionate about MotoGP and she knows her motorsport. She is a safe pair of hands to be lead anchor.

Yes - to the point where she has said on more than one occasion that she thinks F1 is boring

Advertisement

#1502 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,927 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 14:20

Perry is a good choice. And reasonably fit, too. :)

As for SKY SPORTS F1 being only for Sky Sports subscribers - I don't think it will happen. I bet a good number of viewers only watch F1 and not the other sports.

#1503 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 365 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 21:16

I don't doubt that Perry has the necessary skill for the job, but I don't think having a woman in the group with EJ and DC would result in the same chemistry as they had with Jake. Imagine putting a female presenter, however good, into Top Gear or something.

Basically, I just don't want it to be awkward like Sky presenters were at the start :p

#1504 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,612 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 22:04

I don't doubt that Perry has the necessary skill for the job, but I don't think having a woman in the group with EJ and DC would result in the same chemistry as they had with Jake. Imagine putting a female presenter, however good, into Top Gear or something.

Basically, I just don't want it to be awkward like Sky presenters were at the start :p

She managed pretty well controlling Charlie Cox and 'Stavros' - should have EJ eating out of her hands.

#1505 mjspeed

mjspeed

• 27 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 23:44

Any newcomer to an established group will take a little time to integrate well; give her a few races and I think she will be settled just fine.

#1506 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,929 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 00:27

Yes - to the point where she has said on more than one occasion that she thinks F1 is boring

Yeah. I remember her saying that when it came up a few years ago. Did she lose the MotoGP job then?

#1507 Vereint

Vereint

• 91 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:38

For me, the BBC presenters were awkward anyway. The forced Top Gear style humor of the three amigo's was horrendous. Personally I think your opinion is pretty sexist. The Top Gear three are middle class Tory bafoons who appeal to similar type people. Hopefully Perry will come in and help to turn it back to a show where the main focus is the sport, and not some cringe worthy forced comedy show aimed at readers of the Daily Mail or Express.

Edited by Vereint, 23 December 2012 - 10:39.

#1508 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,608 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:55

Lee, was terrible when standing in for Jake.

She was excellent, obviously you weren't paying much attention.

#1509 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,341 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 13:26

Or maybe someone just has a different opinion? I thought Lee was OK as an anchor but not excellent. As others have said, I found her a little dry. Fine as a stand-in, but full-time I feel she's better in her current role.

#1510 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 14:12

Easily. Sabine Schmitz would make a good addition to that team any day.

#1511 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 17:14

Agreed, especially since she is a presenter on German Top Gear.

#1512 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,876 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 17:49

She'd get my vote every day. :)

#1513 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,560 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 18:50

Good to see Monaco is not one of the 10 live races on the Beeb, that's made my day. Means we get a decent length race in its place. :up:

#1514 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,821 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 19:37

She really wasn't.

She may be an excellent journalist, but unfortunately she is a mediocre to average presenter, and certainly not a viable replacement to Jake; after years of working with her it seems the BBC bosses also thought so.

#1515 JimmyTheFox

JimmyTheFox

• 82 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 20:48

Yeah. I remember her saying that when it came up a few years ago. Did she lose the MotoGP job then?

In the past she said F1 is boring compared to Moto GP - and who would argue with that?

I never knew Perry was offered a presenters role on Top Gear, she turned it down. Which of the other two took her place?

#1516 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 21:01

In the past she said F1 is boring compared to Moto GP - and who would argue with that?

I never knew Perry was offered a presenters role on Top Gear, she turned it down. Which of the other two took her place?

Best bet would be May. In the 1st series of the re-boot James Dawes was the third presenter but he got the boot as he was a little drab to say the least and was replaced by Captain Slow. Guessing she was offered the job around then.

#1517 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,182 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:38

F1 Christmas Schedule
Christmas Eve
18:00 to 20:00 - F1 2012: A Season to Remember (Sky Sports 1/F1)
- repeated a lot across Sky Sports 1, 2, 3, 4 and F1 in the days following

Christmas Day
- a lot of Britain's Next F1 Star repeats starting scattered across Sky Sports 1, 2, 3, 4 and F1 in the days following

Boxing Day
19:00 - Red Bull Season Review (Sky Sports F1)
19:30 - Ferrari Season Review (Sky Sports F1)

Thursday 27th December
19:00 - McLaren Season Review (Sky Sports F1)
19:30 - Lotus Season Review (Sky Sports F1)
20:00 - Racing Legends: Stirling Moss (BBC Two)

Friday 28th December
19:00 - Mercedes Season Review (Sky Sports F1)
19:30 - Sauber Season Review (Sky Sports F1)
20:00 - Racing Legends: Jackie Stewart (BBC Two)

Saturday 29th December
13:00 to 14:00 - F1 2012: What a Year (BBC One)
14:00 - A Season in Stills (Sky Sports F1)
- a lot of airings before Saturday, but seems a nice gap between the above and below
15:00 - Force India Season Review (Sky Sports F1)
15:30 - Williams Season Review (Sky Sports F1)

Sunday 30th December
15:00 - Toro Rosso Season Review (Sky Sports F1)
15:30 - Caterham Season Review (Sky Sports F1)

New Year's Eve
19:00 - Marussia Season Review (Sky Sports F1)
19:30 - HRT Season Review (Sky Sports F1)

:)

#1518 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,800 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:49

Funny to see that it's the other way around now. MotoGP has never been more boring with only 12 manufacturers and a title fight between just two riders.

#1519 smitten

smitten

• 1,437 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:02

From memory she gave up the MotoGP because of the travelling when she was trying to start a family, coupled with some pregnancy related health problems.

Advertisement

#1520 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,743 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 13:12

Sky was still pretty awkward towards the end though far more so IMO with Simon than any of their female presenters.

I think Suzi Perry is a fair enough choice. No doubt the Daily Mail will find a negative spin to put on it.

#1521 bongofury

bongofury

• 57 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 13:46

Suzi is a good signing, albeit a bit of a surprise. Tempting now not to renew my Sky HD subscription. (Assuming that it even gets me to see the F1 channel). £82 a year to watch 10 races...decisions to be made.

I notice from the BBC list of races that the 21st July race is on their list. Presumably Sky still will show all other 10 and if the 21/7 race doesn't go ahead, then BBC stick with 9.

#1522 MinT

MinT

• 2,029 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 17:23

I thought the Sky F1 season review was excellent - pity probably only me and a couple of others watched it.

#1523 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 00:28

Many countries don't even have F1 on free-air television. The British are very spoilt IMO.

#1524 pRy

pRy

• 10,874 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 21:03

I only caught the end of it but the Patrick Stewart/Stirling Moss thing looked pretty special tonight. Jackie Stewart tomorrow.

#1525 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,446 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:41

There was a fabulous moment when they were sitting in a huge garage at Maranello and Stewart said to Moss that some people considered his race ending crash actually saved his life because with every race completed the odds against him surviving reduced. Moss's reaction to this, and Stewarts reaction to the discussion was worth the hour alone. Great show, and well worth checking out on iPlayer.

#1526 pRy

pRy

• 10,874 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 14:14

Caught it on iplayer. A brilliant hour of TV. The pairing of Patrick & Stirling was perfect. It's rare that the presenter and subject of a documentary click as well as those two did. Could have watched them for another hour or two. Patrick was genuinely moved on a couple of occasions which was nice to see too. Two top gents.

#1527 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,426 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 14:16

There was a fabulous moment when they were sitting in a huge garage at Maranello and Stewart said to Moss that some people considered his race ending crash actually saved his life because with every race completed the odds against him surviving reduced. Moss's reaction to this, and Stewarts reaction to the discussion was worth the hour alone. Great show, and well worth checking out on iPlayer.

It was very interesting for a number of reasons.

Moss seemed very sure that the Ferrari was the car to have, but in fact after the Climax V8 came out, the Ferrari was no longer at the top performance-wise.

He seemed to be in complete denial of the risks in GP racing at that time, saying that Ferraris didn't fall apart so no problem there. What about the risk of being involved in someone else's accident?

Everyone was saying that Moss' crash was a big mystery. I was at Goodwood that day, it was no big surprise to me, I'd never seen Moss driving the way he did that day, often sideways with full opposite lock. Either there was something wrong with the car, or he was pushing really hard.

Maybe I'm going OT here...

#1528 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,446 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 14:22

He seemed to be in complete denial of the risks in GP racing at that time, saying that Ferraris didn't fall apart so no problem there. What about the risk of being involved in someone else's accident?

What caught me was the audible and visible conviction of the reaction. Stewarts question "Do you think you are invincible?" was a completely natural response.

Just a little. If we can convince others to watch the show (about an F1 driver on a BBC channel), I'm all for it.

#1529 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 15:49

Just a little. If we can convince others to watch the show (about an F1 driver on a BBC channel), I'm all for it.

Well you've convinced me, skipped the show initially but after reading here thought to give it a try.
Very interesting, very original format, I liked it a lot.

Thanks for the tip :up:

#1530 pRy

pRy

• 10,874 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 18:38

Moss seemed very sure that the Ferrari was the car to have, but in fact after the Climax V8 came out, the Ferrari was no longer at the top performance-wise.

Everyone was saying that Moss' crash was a big mystery. I was at Goodwood that day, it was no big surprise to me, I'd never seen Moss driving the way he did that day, often sideways with full opposite lock. Either there was something wrong with the car, or he was pushing really hard.

I suppose you can crash due to three factors.. a driving error (he felt he never made any), a car failure (he felt the Ferrari was bullet proof in that area) or as you say, being caught up in someone else's accident.. but that was probably the least likely of the three ways and out of his control. So I can sort of see his point in feeling if he were driving a Ferrari, he would be as safe as possible from harm with the factors he had control over. I felt the documentary suggested his faith in Ferrari giving him a chance of the title was more from a reliability point of view more than out right performance. That he was confident he could make up the difference if the car was off the pace, as long as it could finish the races. My views are based on little knowledge of the history back then however, just the documentary. :)

Edited by pRy, 28 December 2012 - 18:41.

#1531 pRy

pRy

• 10,874 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 13:57

That was a very good BBC season review. Not too much, not too little.. just the right balance I felt. Some good interviews along the way.

#1532 Moore

Moore

• 394 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 18:23

Trying to play it on iPlayer atm but having no luck, seems to be broken... Anyone else not able to play it?

#1533 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,182 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 19:07

Have finished Steve Rider's book (minus 30 pages) so a few thoughts and interesting bits on it:

- a few historical inaccuracies (ie saying ITV's first race was at Adelaide) but these are not detriment to the book overall
- strikes the right balance between broadcasting and racing, linking between both nicely
- said that BBC management did not care about motor sport in the mid 2000's, didn't think F1 was a 'proper' sport then jumped in 2008
- a lot of interesting information about 2007 and covering 'spygate' from ITV perspective, one particular bit about how Ron Dennis phoned up ITV production and demanded a live interview after hearing Max Mosley's thoughts
- Not Rosenthal's choice to leave in 2005
- praises ITV's advances in 1997 and then BBC's advances in 2009 (although notes the BBC budget in comparison to ITV)
- O/T to F1 but Rider wasn't impressed with ITV 'shifting' him to football constantly, and was offered the Daybreak role twice (Rider said to Peter Fincham that having Adrian Chiles on Daybreak was a mistake... we know the rest)

And two interesting quotes I thought I'd pick out there, the second of which it is nice to have confirmed by someone like Rider:

1) "my regular pit-lane pundit was Mark Blundell, a delight to work with though his entertaining failure to master the English language had made him a cult figure on some of the most spiteful Formula One websites" - doesn't mention James Allen as being vilified on the same F1 websites surprisingly? Rider does say Blundell would have benefited from someone alongside him

2) "We received a call from a very senior producer at the BBC asking if we would mind giving them a rough ballpark figure on what our production costs had been (aside from the rights costs) for putting a full season of Formula One on the screen. [..] When he was told there would not be much change out of £8 or £9 million there was silence, then 'Oh shit...', and the line went dead." - This probably says it all for me, the BBC did not realise in any way what they were getting into at the start of 2009. £9 million on top of £40 million a year is a significant amount of money and no doubt contributed to why we have what we have now (although reading Rider's book, I get the impression that things were starting to look bleak towards the end of 2006)

#1534 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 19:25

That was a very good BBC season review. Not too much, not too little.. just the right balance I felt. Some good interviews along the way.

Yup, trounced Sky's effort.

#1535 pRy

pRy

• 10,874 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 20:24

DMN: Point 2 surprises me as the BBC had been covering Moto GP which can't be that different from F1 in terms of global travel costs etc etc. I would have thought they'd be able to get a rough idea of costs from what they were spending on that. Odd.

#1536 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 20:58

DMN: Point 2 surprises me as the BBC had been covering Moto GP which can't be that different from F1 in terms of global travel costs etc etc. I would have thought they'd be able to get a rough idea of costs from what they were spending on that. Odd.

They probably were planning to send a much bigger team to F1 races than they were to Moto GP. Plus, the wages for the names would of been higher than the Moto GP crew. EJ's shirts don't come cheap...

#1537 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,927 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 21:14

It's the forty million per year that's the killer. I don't blame BBC for not wanting to cover all the races live. It's way too much.

#1538 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:01

Yup, trounced Sky's effort.

Personally, i preferred Sky's, not to mention a 30min programme dedicated to each team. Not bad.

#1539 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:42

Personally, i preferred Sky's, not to mention a 30min programme dedicated to each team. Not bad.

If you hang off of every word Brundle, Hill and Herbert says i'm sure it was great, otherwise, it was quite dull in comparison.

Advertisement

#1540 BoozeBaron

BoozeBaron

• 228 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:17

If you hang off of every word Brundle, Hill and Herbert says i'm sure it was great, otherwise, it was quite dull in comparison.

Well, I prefer to watch Sky/Ant for P123/Q123 and then back to BBC pre-race... until MB starts his gridwalk - Then Brundle/Sky for the Race... Lee for post-race interviews, and then the BBC Forum after... It sucks when both are broadcasting simultaneously ... but with all due respect, DC is not a great colour commentator (IMO) - but does do fairly well after the races on the Forum with Jake and EJ -

Now that Jake has abandoned $hip - I really have little reason to watch BBC's coverage, except for the cool graphics and better tunes in their production... But that's just me... (still cracks me up, that they send a 'team' to each race anyway, yet don't shell-out to do it live) ... I know, everyone's hurting... but if you're gonna go 'lame' - then follow SPEED TV's USA model, and just sit in a dark room at 3AM and call the races from there - saving the dosh...

As someone noted upstream, most countries don't even get FTA broadcasts of F1 ... So, those in the UK that whinge about losing their 'free' coverage, whilst I do understand, at least you have a viable option in Sky... Is it perfect? No - Much rather have the old 2011 BBC team covering all the races... but that's life... it changes... Make the best of it. At least even your 'pay' option with Sky, the races are advert-free... Try watching 5 mins of SPEED/NBC sometime (or FOX, which is even worse) - 5 mins of racing - 5 mins of adverts - 5 mins racing - 5 mins adverts... Does your head in

Edited by BoozeBaron, 29 December 2012 - 23:27.

#1541 pRy

pRy

• 10,874 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:52

They probably were planning to send a much bigger team to F1 races than they were to Moto GP. Plus, the wages for the names would of been higher than the Moto GP crew. EJ's shirts don't come cheap...

They didn't need ITV to tell them any of that. They could have calculated their staff bill themselves. I just don't see what ITV knew that the BBC didn't.

#1542 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,070 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 00:50

It does stand out as a weird thing, it's not like BBC hasn't done sports before. Though maybe it was just one production company asking another?

#1543 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,182 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:18

Now that Jake has abandoned $hip

Not sure why you have decided to put the dollar sign there - the reason Jake is presenting BT Vision's football coverage from 2013 is because he wants to be closer to home now he will be a father from March and also that he wants a new challenge.

#1544 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:13

2) "We received a call from a very senior producer at the BBC asking if we would mind giving them a rough ballpark figure on what our production costs had been (aside from the rights costs) for putting a full season of Formula One on the screen. [..] When he was told there would not be much change out of £8 or £9 million there was silence, then 'Oh shit...', and the line went dead." - This probably says it all for me, the BBC did not realise in any way what they were getting into at the start of 2009. £9 million on top of £40 million a year is a significant amount of money and no doubt contributed to why we have what we have now (although reading Rider's book, I get the impression that things were starting to look bleak towards the end of 2006)

Still amazes me that having dropped half the live coverage they still send everyone to all races and don't seem to have made any real savings on the production side.

#1545 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:16

Not sure why you have decided to put the dollar sign there - the reason Jake is presenting BT Vision's football coverage from 2013 is because he wants to be closer to home now he will be a father from March and also that he wants a new challenge.

And LH moving abroad had nothing to do with his tax bill.

#1546 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,608 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:30

Many countries don't even have F1 on free-air television. The British are very spoilt IMO.

Spoilt? I pay the TV license and full Sky HD package and only watch F1 on TV, nothing else how is that spoilt? The BBC is free for a reason, it has no adverts for a reason and it was the only channel we used to have. The problem is the F1 bosses making the sport to money orientated instead of sport orientated. Because its just business men being insecure about their social status and the size of their penises we've got to pay stupid amounts of money to watch it at the tracks and view it on the TV.

#1547 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,560 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 13:00

Well, I prefer to watch Sky/Ant for P123/Q123 and then back to BBC pre-race... until MB starts his gridwalk - Then Brundle/Sky for the Race... Lee for post-race interviews, and then the BBC Forum after... It sucks when both are broadcasting simultaneously ... but with all due respect, DC is not a great colour commentator (IMO) - but does do fairly well after the races on the Forum with Jake and EJ -

Now that Jake has abandoned $hip - I really have little reason to watch BBC's coverage, except for the cool graphics and better tunes in their production... But that's just me... (still cracks me up, that they send a 'team' to each race anyway, yet don't shell-out to do it live) ... I know, everyone's hurting... but if you're gonna go 'lame' - then follow SPEED TV's USA model, and just sit in a dark room at 3AM and call the races from there - saving the dosh...

As someone noted upstream, most countries don't even get FTA broadcasts of F1 ... So, those in the UK that whinge about losing their 'free' coverage, whilst I do understand, at least you have a viable option in Sky... Is it perfect? No - Much rather have the old 2011 BBC team covering all the races... but that's life... it changes... Make the best of it. At least even your 'pay' option with Sky, the races are advert-free... Try watching 5 mins of SPEED/NBC sometime (or FOX, which is even worse) - 5 mins of racing - 5 mins of adverts - 5 mins racing - 5 mins adverts... Does your head in

I'm sure in the United States its pretty poor but they don't have the following percentage the uk has. As has been said many times before too, it's easy to say how great the coverage is on sky if you have the option to receive it in the first place. For a lot of fans it's not the 'I'm not getting sky' mentality, but an actual inability to afford it. I know it's not a god given right to have it, but when 6 million fans suddenly have the coverage taken away, it's going to hurt and people are going to be vocal about it.

I partially blame the bbc for the deal going the way it did but also the sport itself for demanding such an obscene amount of money from broadcasters. Sky are lucky they can afford it but its at the fans expense at the end of the day. The beeb are still pulling in the majority audience and the powers that be are keeping up the fake smiles pretending the deal is perfect. Is it really so great if sky viewers are channel hopping to get the best of both? Sky admitted they didn't get as many fans going to them as they expected but expect more to follow in 2013. I know of 3 fans who are dropping the coverage for next year alone because of the cost. It's not all rosy for everybody.

And LH moving abroad had nothing to do with his tax bill.

That isn't even close to being the same thing. Lewis moved abroad so the tax man didn't take the lions share of his earnings and jake had a life changing situation. Anybody who has kids knows they can't be away for 9 months of the year especially in the important early years. It would have been very selfish of jake to have put his career first in that instance. He should be respected not ridiculed and accused of chasing more money by fans only thinking F1! If they offered him more money as well then great for jake, but there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever the real reasons why the decision had to be made.

#1548 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,182 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 13:15

Right onto Jake Humphrey's book. Hmmm, this depends on what you were looking (or hoping) for. If you were hoping for general F1 anecdotes from the past four years then you will like it. If you were hoping for broadcasting anecdotes from the past four years, you'll be disappointed.

I fall into category 2. For me, the majority of the book falls into re-telling the past four years from 2009 onwards with no real broadcasting stuff in there. Okay, it is definitely a good book, but not what I was hoping for. The main two broadcasting bits, as far as I could tell were at the front of the book (how he got the job) and the back (his move to BT).

Some pages I skimmed over admittedly because as I said it falls into re-telling the past 4 years. I'm not sure whether it is a recentism thing or what but I don't find it all that interesting when things like that are told in so many different formats nowadays. The majority of those that bought it (or had it for Christmas) will enjoy it, but it feels like that it was pitched at the more casual Formula 1 fan rather than those interested (like us) in the broadcasting behind the scenes. There's nothing wrong with the F1 anecdotes but I don't believe the balance was there.

It's the same length as Rider's book, except Rider's book covers 35 years whereas Humphrey's book covers 4 years - both are 250 pages. I think Humphrey's book was 'safer' in content given that he is just into a long broadcasting career whereas Rider is nearing the end of his, so Rider can go and criticise whoever whereas Humphrey probably "can't" if that makes sense.

Although it's not just that - simple things like BBC's plans before each season (what was discussed, what came to fruition, what was ditched, what changed between seasons etc) did not enter the book. It's not just the entire BBC and Sky saga that is overlooked, but things like the above. Personnel changes like Legard going was not mentioned either. We noticed simple changes between 2009 and 2010, such as the change is the Forum format, what made that come to fruition? Did a particular member of the team suggest it? Regarding BBC and Sky - it didn't even require criticism, but more just of that weekend as a whole (Hungary 2011) and being subject of attention - did he think about moving to Sky?

It's a good book - but it is not aimed at us broadcasting freaks.  ;)

#1549 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 13:27

That isn't even close to being the same thing. Lewis moved abroad so the tax man didn't take the lions share of his earnings and jake had a life changing situation. Anybody who has kids knows they can't be away for 9 months of the year especially in the important early years. It would have been very selfish of jake to have put his career first in that instance. He should be respected not ridiculed and accused of chasing more money by fans only thinking F1! If they offered him more money as well then great for jake, but there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever the real reasons why the decision had to be made.

I don't care whether he fronts F1 or not, but do believe he could have dropped F1 and remained at the BBC if he wanted. I agree having kids is life changing, but I still think the money was the clincher.

#1550 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 292 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 13:39

I'm reading the book at the moment, a gift from my little girl for Christmas. I See DMN's point already and am only about 30 pages in.

Here is some insight for you though DMN. I was in the paddock in Hungary 2011 and what was immediately noticeable before the story broke in the paddock is the way that Jake and the rest of the BBC team sloaped in. It was totally different to usual and so very obvious. When the story broke about 30 mins later, up and down the paddock in the motorhomes (that day I was in Red Bull, Mclaren, Team Lotus (Caterham) and Lotus) it was THE hot topic of conversation. Later on that morning when I was in the Pirelli motorhome (which was near the paddock entrance) Bernie was driven into the paddock and then driven down to the bottom where he jumped straight into his bus. That might sound normal for a thursday but it wasn't. All the media wanted to jump on him for it; the story for them let's remember was not the BBC being dropped but the potential for the TV distribution model to be changed from free to air to pay per view. Hence he did what he does best and ignored the situation. :)

It was fun to be in the paddock that morning and the only BBC person to really show their face was the misery guts that is Lee McKenzie.

Happy Christmas all...