Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#151 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 17:14

I'll probably get killed for saying this but.............i'd like Georgie to anchor the Sky coverage.

No, its not because i'm a chauvinist or anything its because i really think as an anchor to hold things together and let the others do all the important talking without being a nuisance she is very good, much better than Simon thats for sure. He's not terrible in my opinion just awkward and constantly has a (distracting) strained expression on his face.

Yeah I think Georgie's better than Lazenby. She has real charisma. Maybe it's her height that's the problem in the pitlane? Interviewing Ross and so on. Simon is always struggling a bit I think, rather Legard-like. Tho I do wish Georgie could drop that couple of kilos so her clothes fit a bit better and her bare arms worked; she often looks quite weird in those outfits!

Advertisement

#152 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 17:17

Quite funny people moaning about Crofty, when he was at the BBC everyone would post about how he was the best out there and they'd turn down the TV to listen to him, now he's on TV he's awful ?

I think Crofty's been brilliant. Gelled so well with MB. And apologises if he starts talking at the same time!

#153 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 17:35

Croft was terrible today, particulary on two occasions which really made me cringe, he pratically admited the race had got boring live on air, when comparing to test cricket, and the whole 1 second thing with Nicole, was shocking, not funny in anyway. "im sure thats not the only time shes been dissapointed with 1.5 seconds" for those that missed it, while he giggled like a school girl. Watching Beeb the now, Ben Edwards isnt much better, but hey who am i to say, jus an opinion, i certainly couldnt do a better job thats for sure, generally im really happy with the Sky coverage tho, i think they are doing a fantastic job.

Yes i wasnt impressed when he said the race was boring maybe he should be commentating on something else like BTCC, crash bang wallop

#154 The July Plot

The July Plot

• 482 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 17:43

Just watched the BBC show, good to hear DC and Edwards up their game a bit, Still not on par with Croft and Brundle though.

Has anyone noticed the faces Simon Lazenby pulls when others are talking, he gurns like the old guy from steptoe and son!

#155 The July Plot

The July Plot

• 482 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 17:47

Also was Will Buxtom going the driver interviews in the pen?

#156 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 17:51

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by olliek88, 11 June 2012 - 17:57.

#157 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 18:18

:lol:

#158 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 18:28

Also was Will Buxtom going the driver interviews in the pen?

No. It was Tom Clarkson who writes for F1 Racing among other things.

#159 The July Plot

The July Plot

• 482 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 19:01

@olliek88 hahah!

Cheers Dank.

Advertisement

#160 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,669 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 19:07

Quite funny people moaning about Crofty, when he was at the BBC everyone would post about how he was the best out there and they'd turn down the TV to listen to him, now he's on TV he's awful ?

I wouldn't be too quick to tar everybody with the same brush. There was plenty of criticism on here when he was on 5Live for the amount of mistakes he made and his overexcitement. He's in a different role on Sky altogether and some are enjoying him more than others. I personally think Edwards is far better but then again, I always have.

#161 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,719 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 20:15

No BBC forum this week.

:down: breaking promises again...

#162 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 21:21

While were gushing over Sky, I think the turn up of this season has being Anderson, started slowly but gets better and better. I think he shows what the teams are missing, they use computers to plan strategy, rather then a experienced old bloke who can read whats happening.

I really can't believe that not a single one of these top teams have hired Pat Symonds, he'd be worth his weight in gold

#163 dav115

dav115

• 716 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 21:27

While were gushing over Sky, I think the turn up of this season has being Anderson, started slowly but gets better and better. I think he shows what the teams are missing, they use computers to plan strategy, rather then a experienced old bloke who can read whats happening.

I really can't believe that not a single one of these top teams have hired Pat Symonds, he'd be worth his weight in gold

Some of the strategy blunders they make have been so basic they'd genuinely be better off just by having a browse over the GP thread on this forum during the race.

#164 JV97

JV97

• 199 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 21:41

Sky was very good at times over the weekend. JV was top drawer obviously and great having Mario and the drivers on later too.

Croft's casual fan (if at all) status shows through. To me he can tell he's a general commentator that does darts etc, especially when the 'banter' kicks in. Don't get me wrong, he's fine but he's not a proper motorsport man like Ben Edwards.

Lazenby just can't relax into the role. Always left with the impression he's sitting there thinking about when to smile, when to laugh etc rather than just take it all in and react naturally. Jake's a real pro compared to him and always makes for believable coverage.

And there seemed less Skypad this time :smoking:

#165 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 21:45

Croft's casual fan (if at all) status shows through. To me he can tell he's a general commentator that does darts etc, especially when the 'banter' kicks in. Don't get me wrong, he's fine but he's not a proper motorsport man like Ben Edwards.

It was annoying when he compared cars going 180mph to test cricket, he should be a fanatic and consider him self lucky to have such a role in F1.

#166 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 22:49

I just watched the Sky coverage earlier and I thought JV was pretty good, I agree with his views on DRS, a bit less so about the Pirellis, but I understand why some people found that irritating and tiresome. I don't think the repetitive element was entirely down to JV though, Lazenby and Herbert seemed like they always wanted to start this discussion with every guests, and predictably JV reamained consistent every time.

I believe it was all done in good taste though, in the post-race show when Mario Andretti came and pretty much had a completely opposite view to what JV expressed a few seconds earlier, it was still all smiles and respect. Herbert was excellent in making sure it didn't get too serious and you could see he's better at not boxing himself in a position that might be a bit too radical.

I'm feeling the awkwardness with Lazenby too, sometimes I don't like the way he handles the end of the interviews or segments, it's a bit brutal and weird, but overall he's fine.. not a deal-breaker.

I think JV could be very good in that role with more experience, he obviously doesn't have the poise of a Brundle on TV, but he could get there.. the point he made about Hamilton and Alonso not wanting to be in front at the hairpin was just spectacular, it illustrated perfectly what ha was saying all weekend.

#167 DS27

DS27

• 1,053 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 17:21

Hardly a JV fan, but I thought he was really good. Not afraid to really speak his mind - whether right or wrong - coherent, and natural in front of the camera, in stark contrast to the awful Slaz

#168 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,756 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:01

It looked like Lazenby was a bit "afraid" of JV's opinions. For me, it looked like they were to "negative" to the sport for Skys (or Lazenbys) liking. But JV kept consistent with his opinion the whole weekend.

#169 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:14

I didn't mind JV that much. It's not like he was openly blasting the DRS and Pirellis as every opportunity. Far from it! Most of his comments usually came from Simon goading him or sort of putting him on the sport and more or less forcing him to mention his dislike for DRS and the Pirellis. If Simon wasn't present and it was just Jacques and Johnny, I think that a lot of people would have found Jacques to be infinitely more tolerable.

Jacques was definitely very knowledgeable and had many good points, but he was just sort of lured into expressing his disdain by others a little too frequently.

#170 bauss

bauss

• 5,022 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:43

I'll probably get killed for saying this but.............i'd like Georgie to anchor the Sky coverage.

No, its not because i'm a chauvinist or anything its because i really think as an anchor to hold things together and let the others do all the important talking without being a nuisance she is very good, much better than Simon thats for sure. He's not terrible in my opinion just awkward and constantly has a (distracting) strained expression on his face.

you are onto something.... her little segments always seem effortless and fluid, I was very reserved at the start bcos of what folks here said about her, but she is good at what she does

#171 grandmastashi

grandmastashi

• 193 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:42

you are onto something.... her little segments always seem effortless and fluid, I was very reserved at the start bcos of what folks here said about her, but she is good at what she does

She's a good presenter, I think when the Sky deal was announced I said I'd bet on her being the anchor (didn't she do A1GP in the past?). So I was slightly surprised when Lazenby or (Diet Jake as my dad likes to call him) was given the gig, bearing in mind Sky have been grooming her for better things than the sports news channel for many years.

#172 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 292 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:58

I think JV could be very good in that role with more experience, he obviously doesn't have the poise of a Brundle on TV, but he could get there.. the point he made about Hamilton and Alonso not wanting to be in front at the hairpin was just spectacular, it illustrated perfectly what ha was saying all weekend.

Completely agree. I would put myself in the top couple of % of those knowledgeable about F1 and motorsport. I normally spot most things in the race coverage including;

- during the early laps of the race when the slippery flags were put out near the second chicane. It was clear that it was for a broken plastic bottle which had made its way on to the track. Neither crofty or brundle mentioned this.
- Brundle was banging on about the pass Massa made on lap2 being done with DRS. It was very clear immediately that no DRS was used and he simply made a normal pass. Plus it was lap 2 and DRS was not enabled.

So on to my point..... I didn't spot that neither Alonso or Hamilton wanted to be first into the hairpin. It was a point really well made by JV. That is what I want from a colour commentator. Insight, that even I didn't spot.

Just like when Jenson joined the Monaco commentary in 2005 with ITV because of BAR's ban. I remember that he pointed out during live commentary that one of the drivers had left the pit lane and there was no red light at the back of the car, meaning that he would be done for speeding, which in turn the driver was duly served a drive-through.

JV was excellent. Simon Lazenby is awkward. I have given him his chance from my own point of view and can no longer feel that he will improve.

#173 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,297 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:12

It was actually impressive how clued up JV was for a 'retired driver'. Sure he's been doing bits and bobs lately but there seems to be an exponential loss of knowledge for every year a driver hasn't raced. So Button was amazing when he did Monaco, but the longer DC goes it seems like just isn't as sharp and to me adds nothing.

#174 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:17

Same deal with Antony Davidson. Brundle has more insight than both of them really.

Edited by OwenC93, 13 June 2012 - 12:17.

#175 Risil

Risil

• 13,924 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:20

Well, you've got to keep learning to avoid standing still. The essential truths in motor racing are all mechanical and aerodynamic, so for ex-drivers to remain clued-up they've got to keep studying the details. Attitudes from "another time" are refreshing, but a field of knowledge exclusively taken from it is not.

Of course in JV's case we know that he's been constantly plotting a comeback since mid-2006. ;)

#176 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 1,546 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 19:12

She's a good presenter, I think when the Sky deal was announced I said I'd bet on her being the anchor (didn't she do A1GP in the past?). So I was slightly surprised when Lazenby or (Diet Jake as my dad likes to call him) was given the gig, bearing in mind Sky have been grooming her for better things than the sports news channel for many years.

I agree. In Lazenby, Sky have an awkward, inferior version of Jake Humphrey. I've always thought Georgie was good at presenting through her years on Sky Sports. I've no doubt that she would be an instant improvement on Lazenby and give Sky a bit more contrast to the BBCs very popular presenting team.

#177 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,669 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 19:24

Same deal with Antony Davidson. Brundle has more insight than both of them really.

Interesting view point. Personally I find DC more insightful than Brundle and alot more clued up with present regs. I suppose being a Red Bull consultant helps with this info but its great to have a recent F1 driver being lead pundit IMO.

#178 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,204 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 18:11

The F1 Show on in 50 minutes on SSF1. :)

#179 DN5

DN5

• 278 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 15:11

Caught up to the F1 show this morning and I have to say it keeps up it's high standard and is a great edition to the TV schedules.

Geoff

Advertisement

#180 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,598 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:40

Having watched both the Sky coverage and BBC highlights, I must say that on this occasion I preferred the BBC commentary. I they seemed to be more enthusiastic and have a better read on the race, particularly upfront. Also Gary Anderson's input was pretty accurate, his been very good I must say.

#181 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,794 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:59

I'd give her the gig. Certainly for next season as doubt they would change things for this season now.

#182 expert

expert

• 1,030 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:07

Agreed. Surprised really as I heard negative opinions on his writing on this forum before his BBC role, but he certainly brings a lot more insight to the team side than Kravitz, or Eddie for that matter, and it's obvious his peer relationship with people in the pit lane gets him special access and candor at times from team members.

#183 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:14

Having watched both the Sky coverage and BBC highlights, I must say that on this occasion I preferred the BBC commentary. I they seemed to be more enthusiastic and have a better read on the race, particularly upfront. Also Gary Anderson's input was pretty accurate, his been very good I must say.

Very much agree.

I've already stated it but Crofty shouldn't compare F1 to cricket, as the lead commentator on the "new home of F1" he should be a lot more interested in the sport.

#184 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,598 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:37

Very much agree.

I've already stated it but Crofty shouldn't compare F1 to cricket, as the lead commentator on the "new home of F1" he should be a lot more interested in the sport.

To be honest that didn't really bother me personally, but I do understand your point. He certainly could have been more subtle about it. Perhaps 'Things have calmed down for the moment but I expect this is the calm before the storm'? The BBC guys were certainly more enthused.

#185 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 714 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 15:00

Kind of agree, seemed to take the BBC team an age to realize Alonso and Vettel were trying to one stop but at least they understand (for the most part) what is going on, Crfoty irritated me greatly in Canada which he'd never done before, seemed clueless about what was going on sometimes.

#186 Hamilton100000

Hamilton100000

• 35 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 15:05

lots of u are saying that crofty said the race was boring but he said "its the calm before the storm" and then martin brundle just says that its is boring rather than being subtle

#187 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,669 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 19:45

It was actually impressive how clued up JV was for a 'retired driver'. Sure he's been doing bits and bobs lately but there seems to be an exponential loss of knowledge for every year a driver hasn't raced.

It was amazing how clued up Jacques was considering it was only last year he said he doesn't watch the sport because it is boring!! I wonder when he started watching it again and for how long did he not watch? lol

"I don't watch the races anymore," he said. "I'm done, for the first time ever. I just can't be bothered. Halfway through the race I'm yawning and it's really tough ... and I just get upset."

http://www.crash.net...ven_racing.html
http://www.pitpass.c...uve-bored-by-F1
http://en.espnf1.com...tory/53301.html

#188 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 21:04

Maybe he prefers the excitement of DRS and Pirelli tyres after all!

#189 robefc

robefc

• 8,020 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 22:18

Completely agree. I would put myself in the top couple of % of those knowledgeable about F1 and motorsport. I normally spot most things in the race coverage including;

- during the early laps of the race when the slippery flags were put out near the second chicane. It was clear that it was for a broken plastic bottle which had made its way on to the track. Neither crofty or brundle mentioned this.
- Brundle was banging on about the pass Massa made on lap2 being done with DRS. It was very clear immediately that no DRS was used and he simply made a normal pass. Plus it was lap 2 and DRS was not enabled.

So on to my point..... I didn't spot that neither Alonso or Hamilton wanted to be first into the hairpin. It was a point really well made by JV. That is what I want from a colour commentator. Insight, that even I didn't spot.

Just like when Jenson joined the Monaco commentary in 2005 with ITV because of BAR's ban. I remember that he pointed out during live commentary that one of the drivers had left the pit lane and there was no red light at the back of the car, meaning that he would be done for speeding, which in turn the driver was duly served a drive-through.

JV was excellent. Simon Lazenby is awkward. I have given him his chance from my own point of view and can no longer feel that he will improve.

I originally thought the same as you but subsequently heard that vettel had passed the finishing line and therefore DRS was activated in time for massa to use it. No idea if this was true or not nor where I heard it (probably a journo).

Edited by robefc, 18 June 2012 - 22:20.

#190 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,204 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:37

The British Grand Prix will be on BBC Two and BBC HD this year due to the Wimbledon Tennis finals.

#191 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,669 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 18:42

The British Grand Prix will be on BBC Two and BBC HD this year due to the Wimbledon Tennis finals.

Oh my god this is outrageous, have I seriously got to press the 'channel +' button on my remote!!?? Seriously though I doubt there will be complaints about that, as its not like hiding it away amongst other sports channels and is still on a prime terrestrial channel.

#192 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 18:46

Build up will be on BBC One, which is a bit stupid.

Nevertheless, no doubt this will change if Mr. Murray fails to reach the final

#193 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,669 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 18:51

Nevertheless, no doubt this will change if Mr. Murray fails to reach the final

Oh god I hope he gets well and truly thrashed.

#194 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,170 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 19:27

Oh my god this is outrageous, have I seriously got to press the 'channel +' button on my remote!!?? Seriously though I doubt there will be complaints about that, as its not like hiding it away amongst other sports channels and is still on a prime terrestrial channel.

Many hundreds of Daily Fail readers (half of which probably want to watch the tennis anyway) are already crafting their letters of complaint to the BBC.

#195 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,653 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:35

Many hundreds of Daily Fail readers (half of which probably want to watch the tennis anyway) are already crafting their letters of complaint to the BBC.

No - most of them are still cowering under their beds awaiting the 80mph storms the front page was predicting for last week!

#196 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,375 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:54

I bet there will be complaints, especially from those that won't be watching live and have set the race to be recorded. I've yet to see a recording continue when a channel change is involved and not everyone will realise it's being split.

Seriously though, why split the coverage? Would it not be more sensible to just put the whole thing on one channel, even if that isn't BBC1? The usual excuse of scheduling is bogus as they have had months to work this out.

#197 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,794 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:58

No - most of them are still cowering under their beds awaiting the 80mph storms the front page was predicting for last week!

Or if not that, most of them will be be bemoaning the damage adult internet material is doing to the world!

#198 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 20:51

I originally thought the same as you but subsequently heard that vettel had passed the finishing line and therefore DRS was activated in time for massa to use it. No idea if this was true or not nor where I heard it (probably a journo).

Mark Hughes I think wrote that, but I'm pretty sure he was mistaken. Watching the highlights I had a look at it a couple of times and there was no way Vettel was that far ahead of them at that point - he would had to have already started the 3rd lap by the time Massa was in the detection zone for the DRS, that's a full sector in front in the space of two laps. Rosberg must have got a really bad purchase off of the hairpin and Massa just drove by, although the speed differential made it look as if it must have been DRS assisted, but it couldn't have been.

#199 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 292 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 21:24

If mark Hughes did write that then he is an idiot. I knew this anyway but have also just checked. it is article 3.18.3 of the tech regs.

It is not when the lead driver crosses the line to complete two laps that DRS is activated for the field. It is when each driver crosses the line to complete their 2nd lap that the system Is activated.

Advertisement

#200 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,340 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:40

Not sure why the BBC want to have British GP on BBC2. Lets face it there is more chance of British winner on home soil in the F1 than the Tennis. I would laugh if F1 beat the tennis in the ratings in 2 weeks. BTW is Jake decided to present the f1 this weekend? Saw a tweet that said he was flying to Spain after all.

Edited by Massa_f1, 21 June 2012 - 09:41.