• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#201 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,223 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:59

LeeMcKenzieF1
So I'm not presenting Valencia now as @mrjakehumphrey will be back from footy. I'm going to pester drivers with questions instead!
10:55 AM - 21 Jun 12

Advertisement

#202 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,450 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:04

Not sure why the BBC want to have British GP on BBC2. Lets face it there is more chance of British winner on home soil in the F1 than the Tennis. I would laugh if F1 beat the tennis in the ratings in 2 weeks. BTW is Jake decided to present the f1 this weekend? Saw a tweet that said he was flying to Spain after all.

It's because the BBC put more importance on the tennis. That's why they extended the tennis deal while scaling back on their F1 contract.

#203 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,223 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:20

A lot of merry-go-rounding with in's and out's this weekend:

- Jake Humphrey is back from Euro 2012 "due to the way the schedule has fallen", so Lee McKenzie is back to interviews
- Therefore, Tom Clarkson presumably is out and working elsewhere
- Allan McNish is in for Anthony Davidson for practice, Davidson at home recovering
- Karun Chandhok is with the Sky F1 team this weekend on The F1 Show

#204 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:26

mcnish in for practice ? thats gonna be interesting

#205 RacingMonk

RacingMonk

• 132 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:37

Am I correct in thinking BBC Freeview Ch301 red button is not showing FP1 and FP2?

#206 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:43

FP1 & FP2 is shown as being on 301 on my EPG.

#207 robefc

robefc

• 8,064 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:07

Mark Hughes I think wrote that, but I'm pretty sure he was mistaken. Watching the highlights I had a look at it a couple of times and there was no way Vettel was that far ahead of them at that point - he would had to have already started the 3rd lap by the time Massa was in the detection zone for the DRS, that's a full sector in front in the space of two laps. Rosberg must have got a really bad purchase off of the hairpin and Massa just drove by, although the speed differential made it look as if it must have been DRS assisted, but it couldn't have been.

Yeah it ocurred to me after I posted that that it was pretty unlikley!

If mark Hughes did write that then he is an idiot. I knew this anyway but have also just checked. it is article 3.18.3 of the tech regs.

It is not when the lead driver crosses the line to complete two laps that DRS is activated for the field. It is when each driver crosses the line to complete their 2nd lap that the system Is activated.

Thanks for that.

You can kind of forgive the commentators for making a mistake but a journo would have had time to corroborate their guess so pretty poor.

#208 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,223 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:50

Drivers PC is on SSF1 in 10 minutes :)

#209 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,223 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 14:57

Marc Priestley (McLaren mechanic from 1999 to 2009) will be pitlane reporter for 5 Live at Silverstone alongside Jennie Gow.

#210 johnhen

johnhen

• 61 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 16:04

LeeMcKenzieF1
So I'm not presenting Valencia now as @mrjakehumphrey will be back from footy. I'm going to pester drivers with questions instead!
10:55 AM - 21 Jun 12

Why in Gods name was Humphrey even at the Euros anyway ? Did anyone see what his job was - 3 minute links before the games and at half time firing generic questions at ex-footballer pundits. Pointless.
It just proves what I've always suspected of him, his number one interest is being a BBC company man and rising to the top by getting his face into anything he can, he's not that bothered what the sport is. He knows the future of F1 at the BBC is numbered.

Edited by johnhen, 21 June 2012 - 16:04.

#211 Snic

Snic

• 569 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 16:11

Why in Gods name was Humphrey even at the Euros anyway ? Did anyone see what his job was - 3 minute links before the games and at half time firing generic questions at ex-footballer pundits. Pointless.
It just proves what I've always suspected of him, his number one interest is being a BBC company man and rising to the top by getting his face into anything he can, he's not that bothered what the sport is. He knows the future of F1 at the BBC is numbered.

He doesn't owe F1 anything, and as he's hosting the Olympics it's good for him to get as much experience of as many different sports as he can.

As long as he can do a good job of hosting, I couldn't give a damn if he actually enjoys the race or not. However he seems to get F1, and rarely asks stupid questions ala Lazenby so to say he's not bothered seems a bit harsh.

#212 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 16:12

Why in Gods name was Humphrey even at the Euros anyway ? Did anyone see what his job was - 3 minute links before the games and at half time firing gereric questions at ex-footballer pundits. Pointless.

Jake's job is a presenter, not an F1 specific presenter, its his job to present whatever the beeb ask of him. I don't get why some people hate (or judge) him for it. Also i highly doubt he's doing it because he has doubts about F1 future on the BBC, he probably just wants to further his career and presenting different things is one way to do that. Whats the issue.

#213 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,166 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 16:14

What bile. Of course he is a BBC employee. He is no different to Simon Lazenby, promoted from within, as he is a Sky employee. How outrageous that they try and further their careers like everybody else. Likewise outrageous that BBC and Sky should even let their best presenters rise to the top.

Jake isn't my cup of tea and he has become a BBC mouthpiece rather than one on F1 (Jake changed his Twitter name from JakeHumphreyF1 to MrJakeHumphrey) but that doesn't matter as I have simply unfollowed him on Twitter. No beef.

I do agree with is that he knows the future of the F1 on the BBC is numbered, but that doesn't bare anything on his performance as a presenter.

Edited by Disgrace, 21 June 2012 - 16:15.

#214 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,450 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 16:32

Ignoring who it was etc. You do have to question why the BBC send anyone in that role. Total superfluous to the proceedings.

#215 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 16:44

Yeah it ocurred to me after I posted that that it was pretty unlikley!

Thanks for that.

You can kind of forgive the commentators for making a mistake but a journo would have had time to corroborate their guess so pretty poor.

To be fair, he has a mammoth amount of work during and immediately after a race with strict deadlines, which he has apologised for in the past for causing the odd bit of factual inaccuracy. I forgive him these for some of his other great material.

Edited by PretentiousBread, 21 June 2012 - 16:45.

#216 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,849 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 17:36

Apparently it isn't enough that the BBC have relegated F1 to BBC 2 in favour of Wimbledon, but they seem to have placed an article on Djokovich, Nadal and Federer on the main F1 page. Just a small error, but I wonder what it implies about their general attitude and commitment to F1 in the long run.

#217 ultrapro

ultrapro

• 216 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 17:44

Also came here to ask what on earth Jake's role at the Euros has actually been....

#218 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 17:47

Also came here to ask what on earth Jake's role at the Euros has actually been....

P-A-R-T-Y?

#219 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,223 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 18:38

Apparently it isn't enough that the BBC have relegated F1 to BBC 2 in favour of Wimbledon, but they seem to have placed an article on Djokovich, Nadal and Federer on the main F1 page. Just a small error, but I wonder what it implies about their general attitude and commitment to F1 in the long run.

I'd click the link and read the blog before commenting, as there is an F1 bit in the blog...

Advertisement

#220 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,849 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 19:04

I'd click the link and read the blog before commenting, as there is an F1 bit in the blog...

Actually I did, but as someone who is rather uninterested in and bored by tennis, you can perhaps see why I would be reluctant to continue reading further on, when the first three paragraphs are solely about tennis and the words

arguably the greatest multi-player rivalry in tennis history:

are used, not to mention the link whose picture and description appear prima facie to imply the article is solely based around tennis.

I suppose I should learn some kind of lesson from this, instead I dislike tennis just a little bit more.

#221 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 21:16

Agreed 100%

He'd be no loss anyway if he went forever, he knows sod all about F1 and has no true interest in it.
He's just a slimey toad with his tongue deep in the BBC's .... ;)

#222 swerved

swerved

• 3,678 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:32

Quite enjoyed McNish in FP1, in fact, they should give him Croftys job.

#223 robefc

robefc

• 8,064 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:59

To be fair, he has a mammoth amount of work during and immediately after a race with strict deadlines, which he has apologised for in the past for causing the odd bit of factual inaccuracy. I forgive him these for some of his other great material.

Interesting, others on here, as65p springs to mind, have a rather different view of mr Hughes. I'm a little unsure myself.

On he jake debate,bhe's a presenter working for the bbc who they were grooming for sport when they got the F1 gig, I met him when he was up for the job and he had a copy of autosport with him and was boning up, it was pretty apparent in our conversation that I knew more aout F1 at the time.

That's all absolutely fine, you can't blame him for that, as long as they have others soaked in Motorsport...always made me suspicious about some of his blogs referencng his interest in F1 when he was younger though.

#224 reason42

reason42

• 239 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:04

Alan McNish is quite good on SkyF1. :-)

#225 Absulute

Absulute

• 874 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:16

Is that Jaime on the BBC?

I like the way he says Caterham.

Cater-Ham :)

#226 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,743 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:34

Legard.......

Posted Image

Edited by maverick69, 22 June 2012 - 12:35.

#227 LukeM

LukeM

• 966 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:49

McNish is really good, hopefully they use him again

#228 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 183 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 13:02

There is an awesome 720p FP1 and 2 stream that I can only seem to find on a third part player, but supposedly is the BBC stream itself. Can anyone confirm this? And if so, why aren't they publishing the link and how does one find it in the future?

#229 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 13:07

Alan McNish is quite good on SkyF1. :-)

I'm not enjoying McNish personally. Slightly bossy delivery and quite a lot of stating the obvious.

#230 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 13:09

There is an awesome 720p FP1 and 2 stream that I can only seem to find on a third part player, but supposedly is the BBC stream itself. Can anyone confirm this? And if so, why aren't they publishing the link and how does one find it in the future?

Not sure what you're talking about but McNish is on Sky..

I like him better than Davidson, though I still wish the little guy a speedy recovery with his broken back.

#231 johnhen

johnhen

• 61 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 14:36

What bile. Of course he is a BBC employee. He is no different to Simon Lazenby, promoted from within, as he is a Sky employee. How outrageous that they try and further their careers like everybody else. Likewise outrageous that BBC and Sky should even let their best presenters rise to the top.

Jake isn't my cup of tea and he has become a BBC mouthpiece rather than one on F1 (Jake changed his Twitter name from JakeHumphreyF1 to MrJakeHumphrey) but that doesn't matter as I have simply unfollowed him on Twitter. No beef.

I do agree with is that he knows the future of the F1 on the BBC is numbered, but that doesn't bare anything on his performance as a presenter.

I agree with you 100%. I suppose I should have furthered my post by saying that I think that instead of becoming a mouthpiece for the bbc maybe he should concentrate on his F1 presenting career, as yes, he is good at it and he does seem to get it. Sky could easily pluck him to replace lazenby. But I suppose the flip side of that arguement is that he's a family man and needs to keep the work coming in and be doing as much of it as he gets. We've all worked with those annoying people who tow the company line and say and do the right things to get ahead. It's that part of his character that annoys me.

#232 JimmyTheFox

JimmyTheFox

• 84 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 15:05

Did a drunk man really fall off the pit complex from two stories up onto Gary Anderson's head breaking his neck?

#233 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 15:29

I don't doubt that it happened. Remarkable story!

#234 XHawkeye

XHawkeye

• 20 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 15:31

A drunk Frenchman apparently. Pretty funny.

#235 smitten

smitten

• 1,447 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 15:43

A drunk Frenchman apparently.

Is there any other kind?

Edited by smitten, 22 June 2012 - 16:03.

#236 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,223 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 15:46

Nick Heidfeld will be part of Sky's raceday coverage beginning at 11:30 on Sunday. :)

#237 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 15:49

Strangely, there is absolutely noting about this incident online?

#238 smitten

smitten

• 1,447 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 15:53

Strangely, there is absolutely noting about this incident online?

It didn't happen this weekend, but once upon a time...

#239 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 15:57

It didn't happen this weekend, but once upon a time...

:rolleyes: and another: :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#240 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,368 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 16:57

Common sence not used by Sky again. Goodwood on SS2 and 3 next weekend and not SSF1.

Foolish.

#241 swerved

swerved

• 3,678 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 17:34

Yep, he certainly didn't seem to miss much, he's very well informed, on the ball, no awkward lulls or pauses, and he seemed like a natural, i was very very impressed at how easy he made it appear.

#242 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 17:38

Lol, McNish: "The DIFFERENCE between a brake LOCKING and NOT locking is just a LITTLE bit of pressure on the brake pedal".

Hurry back, Ant.

#243 swerved

swerved

• 3,678 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 18:59

Not sure what you're talking about but McNish is on Sky..

I like him better than Davidson, though I still wish the little guy a speedy recovery with his broken back.

Me also, he seemed to inject some life and verve into the proceedings, I honestly thought he showed Crofty up to be a little, dull, for want of a better word?, he seemed to convey things in a lively manner without getting all shouty.

I'm glad that Davidson wasn't seriously injured, and like you wish him a speedy recovery, he'll need to get back quick, i could easily see McNish impressing the right people.

#244 WonderboyF1

WonderboyF1

• 115 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 22:36

In reply to the Goodwood comment regards with SS2 and 3 I agree it is very silly not to have SSF1 as a dedicated Motorsport channel. I think Sky are doing a great job, but certainly not maximising there channel to its full potential, everytime i switch on the tv, i always press 408 first to see whats on, and its almost always nothing! Just a looped promo and information on the next race. Now of course there is only so much you can show, but i do want to see constant repeats of the races so far this season, because A it is better than showing nothing and B i love having F1 on tv! Its good to watch the race again and maybe pick up on things you missed first time round. I also think Sky could be doing more special shows, i meen there hasnt been a new legends program in ages has there? I do love the F1 show, so hopefully they keep that up. Mcnish was great today in my opinion, big fan of Davidson to so not biased in anyway, would be good to see them rotate the two every couple of races, mix it up like they seem to be doing with the presenters, which i also like, keeps it fresh and good to get some fresh insight.

Edited by WonderboyF1, 22 June 2012 - 22:39.

#245 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,849 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:19

I think I have a man crush on McNish.

#246 Pingu Pi

Pingu Pi

• 1,702 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:24

Mcnish is class, he flows really well when explaining his views. Has he done any commentary prior to this in other sports?

#247 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:26

McNish only states the obvious, it seems to me. If you digest his words. I just heard the first new thing after 3+ hours: Toyota used to use 400 engines in a season!

It's so clear he's been out of F1 for 10 years. It'd be less irritating if it wasn't all delivered in that portentous, knowing style. I find Ant far more interesting and likeable, personally.

#248 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:28

Common sence not used by Sky again. Goodwood on SS2 and 3 next weekend and not SSF1.

Foolish.

Does it matter??? People moan at anything.

Infact Goodwood isn't F1 so why would it be on in an F1 channel? Nascar highlights aren't, Indycars aren't DTM isn't and other Motorsport programmes aren't. So it's not foolish. Moan moan moan.

Edited by chrisblades85, 23 June 2012 - 09:30.

#249 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:31

Well some people might have only purchased the HD sky pack to get the F1 channel thus not having SS2 and 3 and considering nothing of importance will be on SSF1 why not show it on there?

#250 hulmerist

hulmerist

• 1,026 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:31

McNish only states the obvious, it seems to me. If you digest his words. I just heard the first new thing after 3+ hours: Toyota used to use 400 engines in a season!

It's so clear he's been out of F1 for 10 years. It'd be less irritating if it wasn't all delivered in that portentous, knowing style. I find Ant far more interesting and likeable, personally.

could be worse, could be maurice hamilton