Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky) Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1568 replies to this topic

#351 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 18:59

I'm sure when Sky took F1 the plan was to make it part of the SS subscription and what we have now is down to the backlash.

I think thats spot on. But now viewers have more or less chosen which channel they watch the coverage on, Sky are gaining very few viewers now for F1 only, so do you think they may consider testing the water with putting it onto SS? On average they have around 20% of the viewership and we've been told many times that viewing figures are not important to the F1 channels model, so I see no reason why they wouldn't risk losing a few more viewers and demand more money rom those willing to take the leap once again.

Advertisement

#352 jet7m

jet7m

• 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 19:02

I just watched the post race coverage and I have to say Simon has massively improved in Valencia, from the beginning of the season he has rubbed me up the wrong way and I have struggled to watch him but he seems to have turned a page, no awkward moment not much gibberish and he kept his interruptions to a bare minimum, seems to have relaxed quite a bit.
Also must say Georgie looked absolutely smokin in her red dress. More of that please SKY.

#353 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 19:07

I just watched the post race coverage and I have to say Simon has massively improved in Valencia, from the beginning of the season he has rubbed me up the wrong way and I have struggled to watch him but he seems to have turned a page, no awkward moment not much gibberish and he kept his interruptions to a bare minimum, seems to have relaxed quite a bit.
Also must say Georgie looked absolutely smokin in her red dress. More of that please SKY.

If anything is going to tempt more viewers its a dull presenter who is becoming less annoying as the races pass and a pretty girl with no knowledge of F1 dolling herself up to look nice and appear fairly clueless when asking Kimi if he's off for another ice cream when she's run out of questions. I know why I don't tune in when I don't have to! :p

#354 jet7m

jet7m

• 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 19:15

He's not great by any stretch of the imagination I actually hoped after the Monaco incident he would get canned, he's certainly wouldn't be in my A team but since we're stuck with him it's good that he's improving. Georgie on the other hand, well with so many in the crew that are in the loop she doesn't need to know as much as the rest as she looks the part and as a general presenter does very well.

Edited by jet7m, 27 June 2012 - 19:15.

#355 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 19:19

He's not great by any stretch of the imagination I actually hoped after the Monaco incident he would get canned, he's certainly wouldn't be in my A team but since we're stuck with him it's good that he's improving. Georgie on the other hand, well with so many in the crew that are in the loop she doesn't need to know as much as the rest as she looks the part and as a general presenter does very well.

If you are happy with that, fair enough. :)

#356 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,210 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 19:32

I think thats spot on. But now viewers have more or less chosen which channel they watch the coverage on, Sky are gaining very few viewers now for F1 only, so do you think they may consider testing the water with putting it onto SS? On average they have around 20% of the viewership and we've been told many times that viewing figures are not important to the F1 channels model, so I see no reason why they wouldn't risk losing a few more viewers and demand more money rom those willing to take the leap once again.

I think it will happen at some time. I still believe BBC will drop live coverage before the current contract ends and that might be what Sky will wait for.

#357 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 19:42

I think it will happen at some time. I still believe BBC will drop live coverage before the current contract ends and that might be what Sky will wait for.

The sponsors will be absolutely chuffed. 400 to 600k viewers tuning in for the live race on the more premium package and a steady stream catching up on the highlights (on whatever channel does it on FTA). Just when the sports popularity has been increasing in the UK with 2 fairly recent British WDC's, the sport decides to push viewers away! I really can't see the logic in any of this. :well:

#358 pdac

pdac

• 683 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 20:11

I think the F1 channel is more about selling HD subscriptions than anything else. I think Sky have prettyy much captured about all they are going to get on the sports subscription. They see the next oportunity to squeeze a few more quid out of their subscribers as HD. That's why they've put together the F1 offering in the way that they have. If they can think of another way to attract customers to the HD package, I think the F1 channel will end up exclusive to the sports package (so you'll need both a sports subscription and an HD subscription to see F1 in HD). I could be wrong, though.

#359 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,299 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 20:15

I think the F1 channel is more about selling HD subscriptions than anything else. I think Sky have prettyy much captured about all they are going to get on the sports subscription. They see the next oportunity to squeeze a few more quid out of their subscribers as HD. That's why they've put together the F1 offering in the way that they have. If they can think of another way to attract customers to the HD package, I think the F1 channel will end up exclusive to the sports package (so you'll need both a sports subscription and an HD subscription to see F1 in HD). I could be wrong, though.

Well they will loose me as viewer. In no way am i adding the full sports sub.

Advertisement

#360 #99

• 167 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 20:24

Both sets of coverage I could quite happily enjoy - I have Sky Sports on a free deal at mo, so watch that when the beeb is not live. Prefer Ben and DC, but that is not to say Crofty and MB are bad.

Bens 'crashgasm' on sunday reminds me a bit of the start of this race

#361 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,043 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:34

If anything is going to tempt more viewers its a dull presenter who is becoming less annoying as the races pass and a pretty girl with no knowledge of F1 dolling herself up to look nice and appear fairly clueless when asking Kimi if he's off for another ice cream when she's run out of questions. I know why I don't tune in when I don't have to! :p

This is getting pretty tedious, but for the 1001st time:

Lazenby is new, he's learning, just like Jake had to, who if you'll remember wasn't even a sports presenter but worked in kids tv instead. I think he's slowly getting better and I really hope he doesn't become a smug twit like Jake.

Georgie doesn't need immense amounts of F1 knowledge, she is primarily a presenter and interviewer, thew expert stuff is left to Davidson (or whoever is replacing him since his accident).

The bias over your last half a dozen posts is pretty sad to be honest.

#362 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:27

The sponsors will be absolutely chuffed. 400 to 600k viewers tuning in for the live race on the more premium package and a steady stream catching up on the highlights (on whatever channel does it on FTA). Just when the sports popularity has been increasing in the UK with 2 fairly recent British WDC's, the sport decides to push viewers away! I really can't see the logic in any of this. :well:

The sponsors much prefer quality advertising over quantity. Yes on FTA tv you'll get a higher number of viewers but think about it for a moment, with FTA the viewers will, at best, see a sticker of your company on the side of the car (E.G. Santander) whereas with Sky they are able to show adverts, so rather than just a sticker they can back it up with whatever service or deals etc they have and physically advertise themselves.

#363 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 17:35

Lazenby is new, he's learning, just like Jake had to, who if you'll remember wasn't even a sports presenter but worked in kids tv instead. I think he's slowly getting better and I really hope he doesn't become a smug twit like Jake.

Georgie doesn't need immense amounts of F1 knowledge, she is primarily a presenter and interviewer, thew expert stuff is left to Davidson (or whoever is replacing him since his accident).

Well I'm sorry if you feel that but I'm entitled to my opinion and have enough self esteem not to attack you for your opposing opinion thank you very much. If its tedious, do the mature thing and ignore me. :wave:

PS: Looking at some of your posts in the last thread concerning the BBC, I don't think you are really in a position to talk to me about be tedious. You are happy to stick the boot into Jake:

http://forums.autosp...p;#entry5748504

Edited by tifosiMac, 30 June 2012 - 17:43.

#364 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 17:40

The sponsors much prefer quality advertising over quantity. Yes on FTA tv you'll get a higher number of viewers but think about it for a moment, with FTA the viewers will, at best, see a sticker of your company on the side of the car (E.G. Santander) whereas with Sky they are able to show adverts, so rather than just a sticker they can back it up with whatever service or deals etc they have and physically advertise themselves.

I'm aware of the power of advertising when using commercial breaks in programming, but I still feel the sponsors would rather have 3.5m viewers taking notice of their branding often in a subconscious way than 700k or whatever the average figure is having access to ad breaks. Thats just my opinion though. :)

#365 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,210 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 18:29

Lets stop with the exaggerating. Whilst he was a Childrens TV presenter he has also been a sports presenter since 2005. He had more than enough experience by the time he started presenting F1.

#366 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 18:36

Good thinking. Nothing a company likes more than paying up twice to get their message across. When ITV were showing F1, all of the adverts were car related - mostly Honda - and we know what happened to ITV and Honda F1.

#367 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 18:38

Lets stop with the exaggerating. Whilst he was a Childrens TV presenter he has also been a sports presenter since 2005. He had more than enough experience by the time he started presenting F1.

Why can't people separate the commentors from the presenters? They do different jobs and the presenter from Sky is crap.

#368 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,210 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 18:39

Why can't people separate the commentors from the presenters? They do different jobs and the presenter from Sky is crap.

Who was talking about the commentators?

#369 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 19:10

Who was talking about the commentators?

Those who expect the presenters to be as knowledgeable about F1 as DC, Eddie, Brundle etc.

#370 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,839 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 19:15

Good thinking. Nothing a company likes more than paying up twice to get their message across. When ITV were showing F1, all of the adverts were car related - mostly Honda - and we know what happened to ITV and Honda F1.

Wouldn't you rather 3million people see your sticker on the car rather than 300,000 see the sticker and a commercial?

#371 Fourjays

Fourjays

• 239 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 20:35

Only person on Sky's coverage I don't like is Lazenby, otherwise they are all doing great. I was giving him time to get into it but he just doesn't seem to have gotten into the role the way the others have. Georgie does a great job IMO (I'd question whether those who say she has no knowledge of the sport actually watch the Sky coverage) and should take over the main role next year providing it doesn't effect her ability to do the F1 Show.

Not bothered with the BBC at all this year so I don't know if they've changed their approach, but compared to last year, Sky's coverage is far more comprehensive (covers all the teams very well) and professional (I don't mind some humour, but it became a bit Top Gear-ish with JH/EJ/DC - I like Top Gear but I don't want it in my F1 coverage).

BBC or Sky, I'd count F1 fans lucky though. Tennis commentators regularly make me realise how good all the F1 commentators have been over the years (even Legard). Out of some 20 or so commentators, nearly all of them are biased, make inane comments, can't pronounce player names, regularly get in a muddle and don't seem to know individual player history's well at all. So I reckon us F1 fans have it good. :up:

#372 SerratedEdge

SerratedEdge

• 107 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 22:55

You clearly didn't endure the commentary of England football games on the BBC. At times is was amateurish and painful... very very painful. And last time I checked Brundle and Croft are both from ... the.... BBC.

And ben edwards learned his trade at Eurosport...

so you're basically talking nonsense.

Brundle began commentating on F1 when it was shown on ITV, he moved to the BBC when ITV stopped covering F1 and BBC won the rights to show F1.......

http://en.wikipedia..../Martin_Brundle

Edited by SerratedEdge, 30 June 2012 - 22:58.

#373 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 23:04

Brundle began commentating on F1 when it was shown on ITV, he moved to the BBC when ITV stopped covering F1 and BBC won the rights to show F1.......
http://en.wikipedia..../Martin_Brundle

You missed this bit -

Before becoming a regular commentator, Brundle was also part of the 1995 BBC commentary team whenever Aguri Suzuki was driving the Ligier-Mugen Honda, such as the 1995 San Marino Grand Prix.

The BBC doesn't always get it right - Jonathan Palmer comes to mind, along with Legard, who I'm told, is pretty good at commentating on football matches.

#374 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:53

Just watching the 2008 Brit G.P from yesterday.

James Allen. So, so glad I don't have to listen to him anymore.

#375 Snic

Snic

• 563 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 14:46

Just watching the 2008 Brit G.P from yesterday.

James Allen. So, so glad I don't have to listen to him anymore.

F1 has changed so much since then it's hard to believe it's only been 4 years. Alonso's defensive driving was brilliant, took Kovaleinen a good 4 laps to get past even though he was so much faster. The crowd cheering manically after the overtake seemed a bit over the top, it wasn't until JA reminded me of the context of Alonso at Mclaren in '07 till I figured out why that was :lol: .

All the air horns going off during Hamilton's last lap were spine tingling, can't wait for Silverstone now :)

Any news on whether Sky will do something similar before Spa? So many great races have taken place there it would be awesome to get a big hit of F1 after the summer break. They've done it for the last 2 BBC shown races (barring Valencia, but seriously who would want to rewatch that!?) so I wonder if it's something they do to get the viewing figures up during the competitive shared race weekends?

Edited by Snic, 01 July 2012 - 14:50.

#376 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 19:03

Wouldn't you rather 3million people see your sticker on the car rather than 300,000 see the sticker and a commercial?

Unfortunately that logical statement will not even enter the equation when the final decision is made.

#377 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 18:24

What about the people who don't like F1 but pay the ridiculously high price for Sky HD so that the company have the buying power to afford the F1? A good friend of mine hates Football and F1 and bought his package for the cricket, so why should he have to pay for our sport in that scenario? The argument starts to fall apart when individual circumstances start to be compared lol.

#378 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,142 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 18:39

Please keep this thread to BBC's and Sky's respective coverage. Take posts concerning your own personal circumstances and the licence fee to the paddock club if you so wish.

Thank you.

#379 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:47

https://twitter.com/#!/willbuxton

Sky showing every GP2 and every GP3 race from the year so far next weekend.

Advertisement

#380 man

man

• 1,301 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 14:49

https://twitter.com/#!/willbuxton

Sky showing every GP2 and every GP3 race from the year so far next weekend.

What about old F1 races i.e from the 70's or 80's? do they intend to show any old races in full from the world feed rather than the odd highlights program or highlights from film cameras?

Edited by man, 05 July 2012 - 14:50.

#381 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 17:03

What about old F1 races i.e from the 70's or 80's? do they intend to show any old races in full from the world feed rather than the odd highlights program or highlights from film cameras?

I know which I'd rather watch. Won't be plugging my laptop into my TV for recent GP2 races thats for sure.

#382 smitten

smitten

• 1,388 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 17:06

Won't be plugging my laptop into my TV for recent GP2 races thats for sure.

You mean you don't like demolition derby? :rotfl:

#383 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 17:24

Lazenby is new, he's learning, just like Jake had to, who if you'll remember wasn't even a sports presenter but worked in kids tv instead.

Jake was nothing like Lazenby. He was straight into it and up to speed from day one. Lazenby is quite clearly useless. Another cookie cutter football and SSN presenter.

Georgie doesn't need immense amounts of F1 knowledge, she is primarily a presenter and interviewer, thew expert stuff is left to Davidson

Thompson is quite clearly useless. Davidson is there for his knowledge, but as a presenter he needs guidance and he's going to get nothing of that from Thompson.

Sky's presenters are crap. Pretty obvious.

#384 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 17:27

What about the people who don't like F1 but pay the ridiculously high price for Sky HD so that the company have the buying power to afford the F1?

They can't afford F1, that's the point. The amount that's being paid has to make up for the lower viewer numbers, and that's just not happening. Sky will not be able to subsidise F1 with football like they do with other sports. Formula one spends in less than half a day what Sky are paying for the whole season.

#385 smitten

smitten

• 1,388 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 17:30

Sky will not be able to subsidise F1 with football like they do with other sports.

Regardless if that is true, Sky may still find it preferable to keep F1 at a loss than to lose it to their competition.

#386 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 17:34

I know which I'd rather watch. Won't be plugging my laptop into my TV for recent GP2 races thats for sure.

You mean you don't like demolition derby? :rotfl:

To be fair though, it makes sense to repeat all the GP2 and GP3 races back-to-back for anyone that missed them first time around.

Lazenby is quite clearly useless. Another cookie cutter football and SSN presenter.

He's never presented football, he presented Rugby on Sky.

#387 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,889 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 18:44

What about the people who don't like F1 but pay the ridiculously high price for Sky HD so that the company have the buying power to afford the F1? A good friend of mine hates Football and F1 and bought his package for the cricket, so why should he have to pay for our sport in that scenario? The argument starts to fall apart when individual circumstances start to be compared lol.

It isn't that high when compared to actually going to a F1 race or a footie match.

#388 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 18:44

Reminder, extra edition of The F1 Show in just over 15 minutes on Sky Sports F1. :)

#389 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 18:51

To be fair though, it makes sense to repeat all the GP2 and GP3 races back-to-back for anyone that missed them first time around.

I think these races have been repeated enough. It doesn't bother me so much because I have to go out of my way to watch the channel, but I might be a little miffed if I had paid for it however.

#390 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 18:55

It isn't that high when compared to actually going to a F1 race or a footie match.

It isn't that high when you compare it to many other expensive things. I don't like football and I don't go to the British GP every year, but then again I could attend 2 GP's and still have change from the Sky subscription.

#391 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 20:00

Reminder, extra edition of The F1 Show in just over 15 minutes on Sky Sports F1. :)

Just streamed it on my laptop and was surprised to have around 38 minutes of programme stretched into an hour slot padded with over 20 mins of adverts! It was certainly better content than the last time I watched it as they bored the hell out of me last time. Nice to see abit of light hearted content included like their dominant rivals at the Beeb. :)

#392 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 20:05

Nice to see abit of light hearted content included like their dominant rivals at the Beeb. :)

Showing only half the races live, utter domination :lol:

:cool:

#393 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 20:14

He's never presented football, he presented Rugby on Sky.

Nor has a been on Sky Sports News either, but I'm just being picky ;)

#394 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,394 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 20:37

I think the Sky TV team this year is bang on, Crofty is great, and i love how gets excited, great voice, so so glad we saw the back of Legard!

#395 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 21:20

Just streamed it on my laptop and was surprised to have around 38 minutes of programme stretched into an hour slot padded with over 20 mins of adverts! It was certainly better content than the last time I watched it as they bored the hell out of me last time. Nice to see abit of light hearted content included like their dominant rivals at the Beeb. :)

There's only two breaks, so it's not 'over 20 minutes of adverts' at all. More like just over 10 minutes. Last week's edition clocked in at 47 minutes.

#396 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 21:59

There's only two breaks, so it's not 'over 20 minutes of adverts' at all. More like just over 10 minutes. Last week's edition clocked in at 47 minutes.

thanks interesting
Shows what extreme bias can do to ones perception
Watching the show right now
Pretty decent if you ask me

:cool:

#397 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 401 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 23:10

The Sky team appear to be starting to gel finally, especially over the last two races. Previously I wasn't a great fan. However, for the first weekend I'm choosing to enjoy Sky's coverage over that of the BBC.

Coulthard and Humphrey make me twinge to be honest. They are so smug to the degree where I find it irritating. Plus Lee McKenzie vs Georgie Thompson / Natalie Pinkham combo - no contest.

#398 The July Plot

The July Plot

• 482 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:07

Are the BBC streaming online?...I cant find it on the page.

#399 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,405 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:09

http://www.bbc.co.uk...p00vnl56?mode=1

Advertisement

#400 The July Plot

The July Plot

• 482 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:13

Thanks pinky! :D