Photo

Mulsanne signalling pits

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alfie

Alfie

• 106 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:08

I am interested in finding photos of the signalling pits at Le Mans when they were sited at Mulsanne corner. Specifically from 1972 to when they moved down to the main pits complex.

I am particularly interested in photos from the outside of the circuit looking at the signalling itself rather than cars driving by.

Advertisement

#2 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,011 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 00:13

There are some shots of the signalling pits in the McQueen movie Le Mans - would that help?

Then there's this:

http://www.google.co...&...x=100&ty=76

Bruce Moxon

#3 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:51

Not within your specified time period, but "Le Mans '59" by Stirling Moss (with help from Maxwell Boyd) has a photo showing the layout at that time. Not an action shot, though, as Paul Frere's Aston is passing but nobody is signalling or even preparing to signal.
Bruce Moxon's later photo suggests no great improvements were made over the years.

Stu

#4 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:10

Not within your specified time period, but "Le Mans '59" by Stirling Moss (with help from Maxwell Boyd) has a photo showing the layout at that time. Not an action shot, though, as Paul Frere's Aston is passing but nobody is signalling or even preparing to signal.
Bruce Moxon's later photo suggests no great improvements were made over the years.

Stu

Further to above, I have found a photo in "The Fast Ones" by Peter Miller (Stanley Paul - 1962) of the Aston Martin signalling pit in 1956, the first year they were used, having been built as a consequence of the 1955 accident. They appear to consist of brushwood or wattle walls mounted on a tubular metal frame and each "cubicle" had a field phone or ring-down circuit for communication with the pits. The photo shows the Hon. Gerald Lascelles seated at a folding table with phone to his ear.

I could email photo(s) if you are unable to locate the book(s).

Stu

#5 Alfie

Alfie

• 106 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:20

Bruce,

The Google Link you provided was typical of the sort of shot I'm looking for; what was the search criteria as I had tried them before without success?

Wenopy,

Thank you, but a bit too early. I am familiar with the layout of the bank, the wattle fence holding back the earth bank, later replaced by the concrete wall and hard standing but I'm looking for something from a little later.

#6 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,011 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:26

Bruce,

The Google Link you provided was typical of the sort of shot I'm looking for; what was the search criteria as I had tried them before without success?

Wenopy,

Thank you, but a bit too early. I am familiar with the layout of the bank, the wattle fence holding back the earth bank, later replaced by the concrete wall and hard standing but I'm looking for something from a little later.

'Mulsanne signalling pits' in Google Images. However, that was about the only one.

BM

#7 Jager

Jager

• 443 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:38

Here's a shot from 1977 that might help you.

http://s15.photobuck...1MirageGR89.jpg

Here's another from 1988. Not sure if this period is too late ?

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Edited by Jager, 04 June 2012 - 15:34.

#8 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:21

Here's a shot from 1977 that might help you.

http://s15.photobuck...1MirageGR89.jpg

Here's another from 1988. Not sure if this period is too late ?

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

I had looked at "mendaman"s Le Mans photos - there were so many from 1983 on it was difficult to know where to start.
However if you go into www.flickr.com and enter "Mulsanne Corner" as the search criterion it will pick this out of any photo caption. There are others as well as "mendaman"s but his are the majority. Perhaps contacting him might short-cut the process. He is obviously familiar with Mulsanne corner and his name is there on Flickr.

Stu

#9 Alfie

Alfie

• 106 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 15:05

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I'm currently finding the results you're pointing me too as fairly representative, and whilst accurate, I'm lacking variety over direction and time.

But thank you all once again, I shall keep searching.

#10 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 21:24

Quite a few shots of the Mulsanne pits in this 1956 youtube clip e.g. from 4:55 on - the first year of the Mulsanne signalling pits, of course way before 1972.