Photo

Team / Driver of the season so far?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: Driver / Team of the season so far (285 member(s) have cast votes)

Best driver of the season so far?

1. Fernando Alonso (202 votes [59.41%])

Percentage of vote: 59.41%

2. Sebastian Vettel (8 votes [2.35%])

Percentage of vote: 2.35%

3. Mark Webber (12 votes [3.53%])

Percentage of vote: 3.53%

4. Lewis Hamilton (48 votes [14.12%])

Percentage of vote: 14.12%

5. Nico Rosberg (9 votes [2.65%])

Percentage of vote: 2.65%

6. Kimi Räikkönen (29 votes [8.53%])

Percentage of vote: 8.53%

7. Jenson Button (3 votes [0.88%])

Percentage of vote: 0.88%

8. Romain Grosjean (6 votes [1.76%])

Percentage of vote: 1.76%

9. Pastor Maldonado (7 votes [2.06%])

Percentage of vote: 2.06%

10. Sergio Perez (2 votes [0.59%])

Percentage of vote: 0.59%

11. Paul di Resta (1 votes [0.29%])

Percentage of vote: 0.29%

12. Kamui Kobayashi (1 votes [0.29%])

13. Bruno Senna (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

14. Felipe Massa (3 votes [0.88%])

Percentage of vote: 0.88%

15. Nico Hulkemberg (0 votes [0.00%])

16. Jean-Eric Vergne (1 votes [0.29%])

17. Daniel Ricciardo (1 votes [0.29%])

18. Michael Schumacher (4 votes [1.18%])

Percentage of vote: 1.18%

19. Heikki Kovalainen (1 votes [0.29%])

20. Timo Glock (2 votes [0.59%])

Percentage of vote: 0.59%

Best team of the season so far?

1. Red Bull Racing (122 votes [39.23%])

Percentage of vote: 39.23%

2. McLaren (17 votes [5.47%])

Percentage of vote: 5.47%

3. Ferrari (64 votes [20.58%])

Percentage of vote: 20.58%

4. Lotus (43 votes [13.83%])

Percentage of vote: 13.83%

5. Mercedes (15 votes [4.82%])

Percentage of vote: 4.82%

6. Williams (29 votes [9.32%])

Percentage of vote: 9.32%

7. Sauber (12 votes [3.86%])

Percentage of vote: 3.86%

8. Force India (2 votes [0.64%])

Percentage of vote: 0.64%

9. Toro Rosso (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Caterham (1 votes [0.32%])

Percentage of vote: 0.32%

11. Marussia (1 votes [0.32%])

Percentage of vote: 0.32%

12. HRT (5 votes [1.61%])

Percentage of vote: 1.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 00:24

With a season this tight and with so many "unpredictable" stuff going on, let's see what Autosport thinks.

* Sorry for Pic, Narain, Vitaly and Pedro, the poll only allowed 20 choices.

Advertisement

#2 keiichi

keiichi

• 527 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 00:36

Well I chose Fernando because of the amazing job he has been making so far with a car that at least at the start of the season was far from being a top car. For the team I chose Ferrari because of how they managed to turn around the not so good F2012 and also because I consider they have been absolutely faultless in what regards pit stops and strategy. The season is still long though, so we still have a lot to see.

#3 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 00:39

Alonso, for saving the ass of about 700 employees in Maranello :)

Red Bull, for having the most effective driver pairing in F1, and managing to lead the standings with a car that is not always the best.

Edited by TheBunk, 05 June 2012 - 00:39.

#4 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 00:45

It doesn't always work like this, but the current WDC and WCC standings really do tell the story.

#5 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 00:49

Alonso and Lotus for me.

#6 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 00:54

It doesn't always work like this, but the current WDC and WCC standings really do tell the story.

:up: +1

#7 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 00:55

Alonso, and Mercedes. :up:

#8 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 00:55

This is very true. Alonso has been imperious, and in Red Bull's case, they haven't got the best car (although no one truly does it has to be said) but they're still comfortably leading the constructors because on an operational level they make McLaren look pathetic.

#9 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:02

Alonso/Red Bull

Alonso dragging the dog by the collar all the way up to 1st in the WDC. although it seems to be more of a greyhound now ;)

Red Bull showing they have the strongest driver pairing in F1 at the moment.

#10 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:07

in Red Bull's case ... they make McLaren look pathetic.

Not just Mclaren! :cool:

Edited by TheBunk, 05 June 2012 - 01:11.

#11 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 272 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:11

Yep, it really is that simple at the moment.

#12 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,063 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:23

Alonso and Hamilton, both have been amazing. Best team must be Red Bull. Not perfect, but consistently there. Ferrari built a crap car, and Mclaren have done an awful job with pretty much everything except the actual car. And Lotus haven't even won a race...

#13 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:33

Alonso and Lotus for me.

That's what I picked.

In saying that Red Bull have done pretty well to lead the constructors championship with a car which clearly isn't the pacesetter this year.

#14 tommi34

tommi34

• 379 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:45

Alonso and Ferrari, Lotus & Kimi close behind. Why I'm picking Ferrari as the best team is that theyir car hasn't been the best, but the team has maximised the results. (and I dont think the car is THAT bad, Massa has just made it look shite with his poor performances, also the team has done great job on racing season even though they didnt build the best car)

Edited by tommi34, 05 June 2012 - 02:46.

#15 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,704 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:49

Alonso and Williams. To go from their worst season ever last year to winning a tight GP in the dry on merit is much more of a turnaround than Lotus or Mercedes, it's truly incredible. They'd be doing even better with more consistent drivers, but this year's car is a very solid package.

#16 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:52

Easily Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull. The pressure for the double champ is higher than everyone else out there. His struggles have been well documented in qually and he's had the same troubles as others and more than some, with race pace. He couldn't just "drive consistently" this year, although when that was the only alternative, he complied, but other times it was necessary to push for those wins and pass front runners to do it and he did that too. Recall last year when Seb held back drivers on fresher tyres and more speed? Well that we know is always a possibility, but he's been showing his stuff out there.

Kudos to the double champ - keep it up!!!! :up:

Special mention: Kimi Raikkonen and Mercedes. Both came outta no where to surprise this season and I am expecting more from both. GO KIMI GO!!

Edited by bourbon, 05 June 2012 - 02:53.

#17 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:03

Mercedes&Schumeister :up: unbelievable...

#18 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:09

Alonso & Red Bull

#19 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:09

Alonso and Hamilton, both have been amazing.

Lewis does deserve credit, too. If not for team errors, I think this might be a much closer poll.

Advertisement

#20 SteF1an

SteF1an

• 893 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:14

Alonso/Red Bull

Alonso dragging the dog by the collar all the way up to 1st in the WDC. although it seems to be more of a greyhound now ;)

Red Bull showing they have the strongest driver pairing in F1 at the moment.

:up:

#21 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:19

Alonso/Lewis for drivers, both have been superb and neither has put a foot wrong. Team - I understood to mean pit stops, race strategy, and the like so I have to say Ferrari.

#22 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:46

Alonso/Red Bull
Alonso has been just about faultless
The RB team have been almost faultless.

I wonder what the worst team/driver would be if we had a poll.

#23 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,799 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:49

I put Lewis for the driver, but it was really close with Fernando, but for some reason I chose Lewis, maybe because how well he had come on since 2011.
I chose Ferrari, because apart from the car, which is now improving at a very fast rate, everything else has been meticulous,many those pitstops have been poetry.

#24 oligc94

oligc94

• 522 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:56

Easily Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull. The pressure for the double champ is higher than everyone else out there. His struggles have been well documented in qually and he's had the same troubles as others and more than some, with race pace. He couldn't just "drive consistently" this year, although when that was the only alternative, he complied, but other times it was necessary to push for those wins and pass front runners to do it and he did that too. Recall last year when Seb held back drivers on fresher tyres and more speed? Well that we know is always a possibility, but he's been showing his stuff out there.

Kudos to the double champ - keep it up!!!! :up:

Special mention: Kimi Raikkonen and Mercedes. Both came outta no where to surprise this season and I am expecting more from both. GO KIMI GO!!

Oh come on, I really can not see how you would suggest that Vettel has been driving better than Alonso this season given that he has been mostly outqualified by Webber and has finished behind him more often than not in the races.

Alonso (and to a certain extent Hamilton) have been on a different planet this season in terms of absolutely maximising the result that the car can provide - the same really could not be said of Vettel.

You are perfectly entitled to that opinion, but it just seems to entirely contradict the facts of the season thus far... :drunk:

#25 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,283 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:56

Hamilton & Alonso - no surprise there.

#26 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:58

Alonso. To be leading when there are 8-9 drivers winning races, says it all especially when his Ferrari is not as good as McLaren, Mercedes and Red Bull.

Red Bull also shouldn't be leading the WCC, McLaren or Mercedes should. But they have been perfect this year, good strategy, good pitstops, not many mistakes that I can think of. It must be embarrassing for McLaren to be lagging quite far behind despite having a better car for once.

#27 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:00

Alonso/Red Bull
Alonso has been just about faultless
The RB team have been almost faultless.

I wonder what the worst team/driver would be if we had a poll.

You can go and make one aswell, if people vote and discuss I don't think any mod will close it

#28 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 1,205 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:01

I think Paul Di Resta is doing an incredible Job this year, he finished all the 6 GPs and scored in 4 occasions. I think he's very reliable and fast compared to the Hulk.

And Williams are the best team now, working last year on solutions other than EBD paid off very well.

#29 oligc94

oligc94

• 522 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:03

Lewis does deserve credit, too. If not for team errors, I think this might be a much closer poll.

:up:

#30 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:04

Alonso. To be leading when there are 8-9 drivers winning races, says it all especially when his Ferrari is not as good as McLaren, Mercedes and Red Bull.

And Lotus I would add.

Grosjean and Raikkonen both outqualified Alonso quite a lot.

#31 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:08

Its going fine for Alonso [59.42%] :love: :up:

#32 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:08

Alonso and Red Bull.

#33 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,267 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:19

A little bit offtopic, but why do people still think that Ferrari was/is such a dog of a car? Fernando is stunning no doubt but he is consistently doing one thing I dislike a lot - every Friday he says they are slow as hell and he would be really happy to finish 6-8 or even 10 and then on Sunday - BANG! Ferrari on podium and it is Alonso who has shown his magic skills.

Of course when you look at Massa it seems like the car is crap and Alonso is doing outstanding job but.. Massa is unknown quality today.

I think any other team would bash their driver if he was consistently downplaying their form each weekend.

Sorry for OT again.

Edited by sofarapartguy, 05 June 2012 - 10:26.

#34 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,900 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:23

A little bit offtopic, but why do people still think that Ferrari was/is such a dog of a car?

It was a dog at the beginning, watch onboard cameras, listen ex-drivers, listen the ferrari drivers, the engineers, pat fry and so on.

#35 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,267 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:27

It was a dog at the beginning, watch onboard cameras, listen ex-drivers, listen the ferrari drivers, the engineers, pat fry and so on.

It was difficult to drive. That's not the same as being slow from the birth.

Edited by sofarapartguy, 05 June 2012 - 10:27.

#36 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:29

Alonso has performed every race so far, Lewis would get my second votes he would be well ahead in the championship without McLarens mishaps.

RedBull for constructors leading the WCC so has to be them.

#37 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:29

This.

Mercedes, McLaren and Lotus need take take a long hard look at themselves, as do some of their drivers to a certain extent. With the cars they have, they really shouldn't be behind Red Bull in the constructors and Alonso and the Red Bull drivers in the WDC.

Alonso is doing the best job out of the drivers when you consider the car he has, but when you consider that the Red Bull drivers are only three points behind when they've been taking points off each other then they are clearly doing pretty well too. Alonso's position is slightly flattered by having no competition from Massa, who is badly letting the Ferrari side down. Still, when it comes to what's happened on track I'd say Alonso has clearly been the best driver in the first 6 races.

Edit: Just to clarify though, I'm not talking about Lewis when I say some drivers need to look at their performance. He and Rosberg are right up there too. It's the McLaren pitwall and Button (in the last few races) who have been letting the side down in that garage.

Edited by KateLM, 05 June 2012 - 10:34.

#38 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:43

OK, we have got 1. Who are the other 3 guys who voted for Seb as the best driver to-date this season?

if you finished hunting them down, go and find the Massa ones, too! :p
btw - why multi choice poll?

#39 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:30

A little bit offtopic, but why do people still think that Ferrari was/is such a dog of a car? Fernando is stunning no doubt but he is consistently doing one thing I dislike a lot - every Friday he says they are slow as hell and he would be really happy to finish 6-8 or even 10 and then on Sunday - BANG! Ferrari on podium and it is Alonso who has shown his magic skills.

I think any other team would bash their driver if he was consistently downplaying their form each weekend.

Not only Alonso "downplays" (as you say) the car, the team says the same and praises Alonso's performances, and they should know better than us.

Advertisement

#40 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:49

Alonso and Red Bull.

Alonso and Hamilton have been head and shoulders above the rest this season in terms of consistency but Alonso has a race win, is leading the championship and did it in what started as a midfield car even if it is now near the top. If McLaren had performed professionally in the first six races Hamilton would also have maximised the results his car was capable of.

Red Bull have particularly impressed me on the strategy front. They haven't burned tyres unnecessarily in quali; some people may have criticised them for it but they were just taking advantage of the rules completely legally. They tried something different with Vettel in Monaco and it worked for them, even if his qualifying forced their hand. Of the top teams, both they and Ferrari have made McLaren's race operations look, in the words of Patches O'Houlihan, like a bunch of ******* trying to hump a doorknob.

#41 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,267 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:57

Not only Alonso "downplays" (as you say) the car, the team says the same and praises Alonso's performances, and they should know better than us.

We all know that every Ferrari member would love to get pregnant form Fernando if they could. Team praise him regardless of his doings as they are a perfect couple. And I'm not saying like this is something bad.

But I guess any other team wouldn't be so happy with a driver constantly saying that the car (which is called as innovative by the team) is sh*t. Can you imagine what would've happened to Felipe had he said thing like this?

#42 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,799 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:03

We all know that every Ferrari member would love to get pregnant form Fernando if they could. Team praise him regardless of his doings as they are a perfect couple. And I'm not saying like this is something bad.

But I guess any other team wouldn't be so happy with a driver constantly saying that the car (which is called as innovative by the team) is sh*t. Can you imagine what would've happened to Felipe had he said thing like this?

Thing is, I don't think Alonso has ever said the car is bad, it is just that he likes to keep expectations in check, to prevent disappointment, and give nice surprises. The team do the same. It is mainly the media, that get on this, and say the Ferrari car is a dog to praise Alonso, which to be fair, maybe an outdated view.

He is pretty confident about Canada, so he knows when to raise expectations. Alonso says the same things the team says, and I have never once heard him say the same kind of things, for example Button or Vettel have in regards to their cars.

#43 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:08

Fernando and Lewis are actually pretty close (only two to podium 3x and to score points in every race!), but have to tip my hat to Alonso, whose car was literally a laughing stock in the paddock at the beginning of the season. Amazing to see Fernando at the top of the pyramid. :cat:

Have to give the constructor's award to Red Bull, though Lotus get Most Improved (no box to check for that, tho.).

#44 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:18

Voted Alonso and Lotus, with honorable mentions to Maldonado and Kovalainen.

#45 GotYoubyTheBalls

GotYoubyTheBalls

• 301 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 13:11

Alonso, Vettel and Webber

All others have been sub par given their car.

Red Bull have been great leading the WCC when Mclaren and Mercedes are better cars.

Red Bull pairing strongest driver pairing really putting Mclaren pair to shame.

#46 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 13:13

Alonso and RBR seem like the obvious choices.

Almost would say Ferrari for team as well, but Massa has let them down. Alonso isn't superhuman but he HAS done a great job.

Webber could have been up there, if it wasn't for that disasterous Spanish weekend.. a call from his engineer in Q2, that it was enough. Destroyed his whole weekend... other than that, really consistant for him and a 3rd or 4th (he was quicker than Seb during weekend) would have made things interesting.

Alas.. ifs and buts don't matter much, and as others have said, the points tables do show it quite well right now.

Hamilton.. how? He's had bad luck, but that doesn't by default make someone the best, just unlucky. Even Maldonado has won more races. Vettel.. how? Schumacher.. how?

Mercedes.. how? They have half the points of Redbull. Lotus and Mercedes SHOULD have more WCC points, but they haven't fulfilled their potential.

#47 Starlight

Starlight

• 183 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 14:54

^ This. Although I do think that Lotus deserve a special mention, maybe for most improved.

#48 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 15:16

Alonso and RBR seem like the obvious choices.

Almost would say Ferrari for team as well, but Massa has let them down. Alonso isn't superhuman but he HAS done a great job.

Webber could have been up there, if it wasn't for that disasterous Spanish weekend.. a call from his engineer in Q2, that it was enough. Destroyed his whole weekend... other than that, really consistant for him and a 3rd or 4th (he was quicker than Seb during weekend) would have made things interesting.

Alas.. ifs and buts don't matter much, and as others have said, the points tables do show it quite well right now.

Hamilton.. how? He's had bad luck, but that doesn't by default make someone the best, just unlucky. Even Maldonado has won more races. Vettel.. how? Schumacher.. how?

Mercedes.. how? They have half the points of Redbull. Lotus and Mercedes SHOULD have more WCC points, but they haven't fulfilled their potential.

Bad luck needs to be factored in though because the question is essentially: "who has got the most out of their car this season." Hamilton is not responsible for McLaren errors but his results do get affected by them. He has been stunningly good in qualifying, beating Button six times out of six and never out of the top 3 this year. I think he has had the best car overall but, by the same token, without team errors he would be leading the drivers championship by a significant margin. To boot, he would have at least double the points of Button.

I voted Alonso but you can certainly make an argument for Hamilton being right up there (2nd in my book).

#49 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 15:33

Team - Red Bull. They're a pretty slick operation nowerdays - and it shows in the WCC standings. Ferrari have been very impressive too given the hand they had to play early on.

Driver(s). Fred and Hamilton - with Fred edging it because he leads the table and he did a brilliant damage limitation job when the Ferrari was a piece of shite in the first few races :up:

Gonna be a close WDC fight..... I know that much!

Edited by maverick69, 05 June 2012 - 15:35.

#50 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 18:42

Team - Red Bull. They're a pretty slick operation nowerdays - and it shows in the WCC standings. Ferrari have been very impressive too given the hand they had to play early on.

Driver(s). Fred and Hamilton - with Fred edging it because he leads the table and he did a brilliant damage limitation job when the Ferrari was a piece of shite in the first few races :up:

Gonna be a close WDC fight..... I know that much!

i logged into bet365 and Vettel/Alonso/Hamilton are ALL 3/1 to win the title. They agree with you

Edited by joshb, 05 June 2012 - 18:42.