Cadwell Park circuit extension/widening

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jackal

jackal

• 74 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:11

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the proposed plans to widen and extend Cadwell. I have had a search around and i understand the extension will be to the north in the area close to the main road but I can't find any info on the plans to widen the circuit. I can guess where that will happen and I hope that someone sees sense and it doesn't happen. I can't imagine Cadwell having its trees removed and catch fencing put up all over the place.

Real motorsport vision would be leaving it all as it is.

The council proposing to build a 'technology park' is a bit of a waste of time to be honest. There is plenty of commercial property very close to Cadwell that is up for grabs at low rental/purchase prices and if they are empty then one wonders why the council want to build a new commercial area. Maybe it is all wishful thinking that it is possible to parachute in a bunch of high tech businesses and create some posperity but maybe Mr Poll should have a drive around elsewhere and see that it doesn't work. Mr Palmer building a hotel at the circuit is a kick in the teeth for the locals who run B+B's/hotels, too.

I would take a guess that the forthcoming VSCC sat/sun meeting and the Superbikes draw the biggest crowds and entries for the year. Why make unattractive changes to the circuit to suit a couple of races with low entries and racing that not that many people care about?
Cadwell is very different to other circuits in the UK and the venue is a joy to be at and drive. I hope it doesn't get messed up for reasons of blind greed.

rant over!!

Best regards

Carl

Advertisement

#2 CoulthardD

CoulthardD

• 210 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 13:26

and catch fencing put up all over the place.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

DC

#3 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,056 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 14:00

I share your worry, jackal, about any alterations to Cadwell. It's definitely special.

However, Palmer's motive won't be greed. What he has done at other circuits is to restore, improve and protect them, and to improve their long term viability. Whisper it, but Brands does not have catch fencing all round, and when (after a nasty but injury free accident) alterations at Stirling's were inevitable, it was done so sensitively that the end result is an improvement for spectators, with no loss of the unique atmosphere.

#4 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 14:13

I can't imagine Cadwell having its trees removed and catch fencing put up all over the place.

I was there a few weeks ago and noticed that one inconveniently-sited tree didn't survive the winter. This one http://tinyurl.com/bnabx2l

#5 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 15:38

Isn't it the Woodland section ( including the Mountain ) that is the problem when it comes to licensing for cars ? My concern is that this part of the circuit could end up being altered out of all recognition (or even completely by-passed) and much as I like the Park section including the Gooseneck, the Woodland bit is 75% of what makes Cadwell such a great circuit in my opinion.

#6 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 20:20

Isn't it the Woodland section ( including the Mountain ) that is the problem when it comes to licensing for cars ? My concern is that this part of the circuit could end up being altered out of all recognition (or even completely by-passed) and much as I like the Park section including the Gooseneck, the Woodland bit is 75% of what makes Cadwell such a great circuit in my opinion.

There was a plan to do just that in the early Foulston-era. :(

#7 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 21:44

Of course, I'd forgotten about that Simon

#8 jackal

jackal

• 74 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:36

Hello all,

Not so ranty today!

I can understand completely the need for a circuit to change with the times and safety being top of the list. I am sure that sympathetic changes will be acceptable to the majority but not changes in character. It is a fine line and i hope that whatever goes ahead takes into account the feelings of those who pay to race and spectate because of the character and the challenge of the venue.

Motorsport is dangerous as we all know and its a shame that the media only choose to report the one side of it when it goes tragically wrong. There has been a bad run of serious incidents in rallying this year and Cadwell has had a few fatal accidents so I guess that a few people being upset about changes within the motorsport community has less of an effect than the global effect of the media putting a twist on the tragic results of one accident and mentioning the cobra and bike deaths in an uninformed manner. Were these accidents due to the width and nature of Cadwell, or racing incidents that could have happened anywhere? I know somebody close to one of the Cobra drivers but nothing got talked about at the time, or since.

Oh...i dont know. I just would like Cadwell to stay as is. I look after cars and am very lucky to go all over the country to circuits and hills and it is so refreshing to go to a circuit that is a bit of a time warp. I have no negative feeling towards airfield circuits as they, along with Brooklands, are the root venues of the sport in the UK but Cadwell is a venue that is more of an experience for a spectator than standing behind half a mile of beach and industrial fencing and is VERY different for those competing. Empty stands are horrible and do create a very negative look too, so I do hope that the addition of stands are temporary for the planned 'big' events and are not a permanent fixture.

I think that a circuit has to pay a council for permanent seating(per seat?) which is why Silverstone spends an enormous amount of money paying contractors each year to set up seating for the GP. I guess it costs less than paying the council over the year for all the seats if they were permanent. Correct me if I am wrong.

Best regards

Carl

#9 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:51

This appears to be the news story (dated 12 April 2012) http://www.thisislin...tail/story.html

#10 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:13

It is amusing (in a sad way) that although no-one yet knows what is really being proposed, still there is already a petition against it. Reminds me of 'Father Ted' with the priests demonstrating outside the cinema with placards saying "Down with this sort of thing".

MSV have been a force for good in British motorsport, bringing professionalism and enthusiasm to the ownership of tracks. The difference at Cadwell Park since it became a MSV track is already noticeable. I would like to think that whatever plans they have will be well thought out and will improve the general environment. Until we actually know what MSV is proposing, how about we don't condemn them?

#11 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:19

MSV have been a force for good in British motorsport, bringing professionalism and enthusiasm to the ownership of tracks. The difference at Cadwell Park since it became a MSV track is already noticeable. I would like to think that whatever plans they have will be well thought out and will improve the general environment. Until we actually know what MSV is proposing, how about we don't condemn them?

Well said. :up:

#12 Caddywell

Caddywell

• 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 19:21

A couple of years ago I bumped into JP who was inspecting the paddock Gents toilets - can't imagine many CEOs doing that ! I complimented him on the condition of the track and told him I remembered seeing him in his Marcos race there many years previous.

He told me he has a picture of him from that race on his office wall. His love of the place shone through - so I'd be amazed if he sanctioned anything that would destroy the Cadwell character.

And as for fancy hotels and huge developments etc - it's miles from anywhere in a relatively poor part of the country. Get real.

C.