* * * * * 1 votes

F1 2012

• Please log in to reply
332 replies to this topic

#51 FastestSector

FastestSector

• 80 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 22:11

I have to agree that the lack of promotion is baffling - why aren't they promoting it?!

Advertisement

#52 minardifans

minardifans

• 242 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:45

I was far more impressed with 2011 compared to 2010. The handling was less twitchy and less bugs even though there were some. I can honestly say I was disappointed with 2010, but with 2011 it was what I expected for a console translation of F1. With 2010 they tried too hard to please the sim fans with wierd handling of the cars, I found them almost un-drivable, with 2011 it's a bit more forgiving but more fun yet seems more sensible and realistic at the same time. It's a much more complete game.

#53 FastestSector

FastestSector

• 80 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 14:44

NEW TRAILER!

#54 pRy

pRy

• 10,920 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 21:13

Possibly the worst trailer of all their F1 games imho. I guess the 'champions mode' is just a quick race feature where you race one on one with a particular WC. I still can't see myself buying this one. It just offers nothing new to me over the other two titles.

VVV has the trailer without an added logo in the corner:  ;)

#55 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 17:31

That was awful, it didn't even tell you what champions mode is.

Anyway, it's just a mode that puts you in situations where you have to finish races ahead of the world champions. It sounds pretty dull.

#56 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 20:19

I loved F1 2010. It felt great and played really well on the Xbox and PS3 with a wheel. So impressed was I that I bought F1 2011 on the PC when it came out and oh my god, it was terrible. Graphics looked great but there was no weight or feeling to the car, just a very floaty feeling. Just to make sure I was not going mad, I got F1 2010 again for the PS3 and yep, it is great compared to the PC version of F1 2011. So I decided to take the risk and buy F1 2011 on the PS3 in case its just bad on the PC. Sadly, it is crap. Not only does it have the crap feeling weightless floaty feeling but it also has crap graphics. So, going to wait to see what the reviews say about F1 2012.

#57 FastestSector

FastestSector

• 80 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:34

That was awful, it didn't even tell you what champions mode is.

Anyway, it's just a mode that puts you in situations where you have to finish races ahead of the world champions. It sounds pretty dull.

Seems like it.

New dev diary today - will post it as soon as it goes up!

#58 FastestSector

FastestSector

• 80 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 13:15

Developer Diary #2:

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

#59 djparky

djparky

• 168 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 16:03

all these games seem a bit flawed after the genius of Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix games- at least the first couple anyway.

Advertisement

#60 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 17:06

all these games seem a bit flawed after the genius of Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix games- at least the first couple anyway.

Problem is that most people can't cope with a proper simulation, but they still expect the sum of compromises to add up to a 'realistic', fun and convincing result.

I liked the Crammond games, but my favourite F1 title is F1 Challenge '99-'02, it had many flaws but actually felt like you were driving a car.

The Codemasters games are just yuck..

Edited by Slowinfastout, 10 August 2012 - 17:07.

#61 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 759 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 23:25

There are so many features I would love to see in an F1 game that will just never appear if Codemasters continue to just sit on the franchise.

I was thinking the other day how amazing it would be if along with the main tracks, they included a selection of 'other' circuits - former F1 tracks like Brands Hatch and places F1 never goes like Mugello - and allowed you to create your own fantasy championship season.

This, and the ability to race in GP2/3 cars as part of an SBK game style multi-season play, would be a real selling point for me.

#62 FastestSector

FastestSector

• 80 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 15:07

I wish they had included details like they did with this vid:

That's how they should be handling this game.

#63 pRy

pRy

• 10,920 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:58

Codemasters going down the demo route with F12012.. available on all platforms around Sept 14th according to twitter.

#64 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:21

There are so many features I would love to see in an F1 game that will just never appear if Codemasters continue to just sit on the franchise.

I was thinking the other day how amazing it would be if along with the main tracks, they included a selection of 'other' circuits - former F1 tracks like Brands Hatch and places F1 never goes like Mugello - and allowed you to create your own fantasy championship season.

This, and the ability to race in GP2/3 cars as part of an SBK game style multi-season play, would be a real selling point for me.

I still want to see an F1 game with a track builder. I wouldn't care if it would simply be just selecting pre-made corners and such or more involved (actually "drawing" the track as a line and then having it render as tarmac), I just really want to see it in an F1 game since I don't have the know-how to make tracks for the PC games.

Actually the first method would be pretty neat if they pulled it off well. They could allow us to mix and match parts of existing circuits. Imagine taking the first corner of Interlagos only to be immediately greeted by Eau Rouge which then immediately transitions into 130R... I would love to be able to do something like that.

Edited by UPRC, 15 August 2012 - 13:22.

#65 mkoscevic

mkoscevic

• 640 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 16:21

Problem is that most people can't cope with a proper simulation, but they still expect the sum of compromises to add up to a 'realistic', fun and convincing result.

I liked the Crammond games, but my favourite F1 title is F1 Challenge '99-'02, it had many flaws but actually felt like you were driving a car.

The Codemasters games are just yuck..

:up:

+ rFactor with some proper modern F1 mods.

#66 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 759 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 21:58

I still want to see an F1 game with a track builder. I wouldn't care if it would simply be just selecting pre-made corners and such or more involved (actually "drawing" the track as a line and then having it render as tarmac), I just really want to see it in an F1 game since I don't have the know-how to make tracks for the PC

Unfortunately the days of pc games coming with extensive tool kits are long gonem However in this case i think it may be more due to copyright issues over the circuits - or people would reel out replicas of existing tracks bypassing the licensing.

#67 Leigh

Leigh

• 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 15:57

It's all licensing. I have no doubt that Codemasters would have the ability to create a great game, if they spent a few years developing one that encompasses the whole spectrum of F1. They're just developing the series in the same model as EA Games. The problem they have is that the licensing costs would be exponentional. I'd say that is the most limiting factor to their creativity. Either FOM is not offering the option or Codies is just not willing to invest that amount of money for a multi-season grand prix game.

They're far happier getting the populace to blindly purchase brand new games annually for some updated skins. Easy money really!
You could technically just get the modding community to do that job if you are playing through a PC. Give me photoshop, and 3DS Max. I'll do it, and make a couple of thousand selling it in stores. Happy days! :clap:

#68 pRy

pRy

• 10,920 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 16:41

They're far happier getting the populace to blindly purchase brand new games annually for some updated skins. Easy money really!
You could technically just get the modding community to do that job if you are playing through a PC. Give me photoshop, and 3DS Max. I'll do it, and make a couple of thousand selling it in stores. Happy days! :clap:

Give them some credit.. they do need to make new models too.;) And a couple of new tracks sometimes.

I do agree however.. the 2011 and 2012 games perhaps should have been lower priced by about half. Then again I guess they're just following the FIFA model.

#69 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 759 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 16:42

Developing a more detailed game is unlikely to need any more licences - I doubt that FOM would charge any more to use their graphics than they already do for the name and image rights it would required Codemasters to actually do some work.

Adding GP2 etc. would add more costs but they are likely to be pretty minimal and in fact the series might be keen to get some extra publicity that a computer game might give them.

#70 pRy

pRy

• 10,920 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 17:07

It's a shame really. It would have been interesting if they'd been able to introduce some different formula of cars, perhaps have a 'career' option where you run shorter seasons in each category and work your way up into F1. Cut out the free practice sessions etc so if you fail to meet your target in a particular formula it's not a "Oh god i've got to do all that again" scenario. Even if they just had a mini season of GP2 with progression into F1 if you finished in the top two or three.

#71 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,178 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 17:52

I do agree it'd be awesome if they came out with an F1 game that had a whole junior career option.

#72 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:54

#73 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,845 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:05

Racenet sounds good, especially if it works the same way as FIFA challenge:

http://www.digitalsp...w-audience.html

You say with RaceNet you can release new challenges. How does that work?
"We're still looking at what we're going to offer with RaceNet. Obviously there's the whole system of stats pages and tracking stats and going somewhere online to review other gaming profiles. But one of the things the guys are looking at at the moment is the opportunity to upload multiplayer events, or content where you can compete over a race weekend.

"We do a lot of data tracking with F1, and what you find always is that on the weekend of a Grand Prix, that track has a massive spike in terms of the number of users that come in and we think that is for two reasons; one, you watch F1 again and you instantly want to play it, but two, it goes back to that factor where it doesn't sit in people's drives long enough because it's considered more of a 'long game' experience.

"RaceNet hopes to tap into that; it is Singapore race weekend [that] weekend. It might not start right from the off that we do it in tandem with that weekend, but... because games like FIFA can launch at the beginning of a season, we always get asked 'Why are you releasing in September when the season is nearly over?'

#74 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,023 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 21:40

I will certainly NOT buy F1 2012. I am so utterly disappointed with F1 2011. So many features that were standard in F1 games since GP2 just are not in the game. Why can't I just go testing on a circuit? Turn 5 or 10 laps, go back to the pits, change something on the car, go back out, etc. Can't be done! At least give me a 30 Second replay, so that I can enjoy how an overtaking manoeuvre developed.
F1 2012 celebrates features like "brake balance"? You could do this in Indianapolis 500 nearly 25 years ago.

I got NASCAR The Game 2011, and it does a much better job in just about anything. And even where it doesn't, it is much less pretentious and much cheaper.

I hope the F1 license will pass on to somebody who knows how to make a racing game. Until then I'll keep my 60 bucks.

#75 Blinkandimgone

Blinkandimgone

• 36 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 22:53

A glorified patch i'm afraid easy money for developers it would of been so much easier to keep the fans happy by just sending out an update of the the 2011 software at a fraction of the cost. instead of trying to pass it off as the newest game

#76 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,501 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:00

I will certainly NOT buy F1 2012. I am so utterly disappointed with F1 2011. So many features that were standard in F1 games since GP2 just are not in the game. Why can't I just go testing on a circuit? Turn 5 or 10 laps, go back to the pits, change something on the car, go back out, etc. Can't be done! At least give me a 30 Second replay, so that I can enjoy how an overtaking manoeuvre developed.
F1 2012 celebrates features like "brake balance"? You could do this in Indianapolis 500 nearly 25 years ago.

I got NASCAR The Game 2011, and it does a much better job in just about anything. And even where it doesn't, it is much less pretentious and much cheaper.

I hope the F1 license will pass on to somebody who knows how to make a racing game. Until then I'll keep my 60 bucks.

Er...You CAN go testing 5 laps or more in game, come back and make adjustments and go back to track in F1 2011. I don't understand your whining.

#77 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,047 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 17:43

I'm faaaar from an F1/codies fan but there's an awful lot of cynics posting all sorts of claptrap.

#78 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,178 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 18:25

Have you actually played F1 2011?

#79 Dane92

Dane92

• 13 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:27

Here's the new achievement list, they seem lagit. However I could be wrong, if they are the actual achievements though they haven't thought very hard considering about 70% are in 2010 and 2011. I would love if they came out with more obscure ones like "Taking it to Nigel and Michel" (Win the first 5 races in a season) or "Down to the wire" (Win the world championship by one point), there were some good ones last year but more of these instead of the manual gears or stuff like would be good.

http://exophase.com/...0/achievements/

Advertisement

#80 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,178 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 18:13

So you can change teams mid season now..

#81 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,356 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 20:18

Here's the new achievement list, they seem lagit. However I could be wrong, if they are the actual achievements though they haven't thought very hard considering about 70% are in 2010 and 2011. I would love if they came out with more obscure ones like "Taking it to Nigel and Michel" (Win the first 5 races in a season) or "Down to the wire" (Win the world championship by one point), there were some good ones last year but more of these instead of the manual gears or stuff like would be good.

http://exophase.com/...0/achievements/

Actually, I'm not a big fan of the ones that require you to do outlandish stuff, like take 15 poles in a single season. All that does, in my opinion, is encourage several restarts over each race weekend so you can get unrealistic results all for a bit of gamerscore.

Of course, I suppose it depends on how you see the achievements, but for me, you've beaten a game when you get all the achievements. I like saving things like 15 poles in a season for personal challenges; I don't like being required to do them in order to get all the gamerscore out of a game.

Edited by Afterburner, 31 August 2012 - 20:37.

#82 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 20:35

So you can change teams mid season now..

Which..I don't get that as a feature. And I think exposes how outside of the actual racing, Codemasters don't have a clue.

Aside from Fisichella in 09, when was the last mid season changing of teams by a driver anyways?

It's year three now and from what I can see, career mode is yet again going to be an afterthought.

#83 squiresm

squiresm

• 37 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:17

Does anybody have a confirmed list of changes/new features in this year's game? I've seen a few vague bits, like having to do the young driver test at Abu Dhabi and Codemasters trotting out the usual gumpf about remodelling the handling/suspension without actually stating how it will improve the driving experience, but nothing else. So does anyone know what specifically will be changing?

I haven't been able to find much on the Codemasters site or retailers like Amazon offering it for pre-order, which seems pretty dreadful considering it's barely two weeks away from launching.

#84 FastestSector

FastestSector

• 80 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 00:36

Do any of you fancy taking part in a serious F1 league for this game? Visit here to sign up: http://fastestsector...c.php?f=1&t=170

EVERYONE is welcome as long as you play on PC and like to race clean!

#85 F1TL

F1TL

• 35 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 17:17

Does anybody have a confirmed list of changes/new features in this year's game? I've seen a few vague bits, like having to do the young driver test at Abu Dhabi and Codemasters trotting out the usual gumpf about remodelling the handling/suspension without actually stating how it will improve the driving experience, but nothing else. So does anyone know what specifically will be changing?

I haven't been able to find much on the Codemasters site or retailers like Amazon offering it for pre-order, which seems pretty dreadful considering it's barely two weeks away from launching.

Well one change is that they removed the season mode. You can only do single races. Probably trying to shift people more towards the career mode but still a big disappointment.

#86 pRy

pRy

• 10,920 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 21:15

Demo is out next week. 360 on Monday, US PS3 and PC Tuesday and EU PS3 Wednesday.

#87 FastestSector

FastestSector

• 80 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:08

My thoughts on the demo - http://fastestsector...=1&p=3312#p3312

Not very positive.

#88 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:14

My PC version won't even launch.

Cool.

#89 pRy

pRy

• 10,920 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:01

My thoughts on the demo - http://fastestsector...=1&p=3312#p3312

Not very positive.

The illegal overtake was amusing. I think the best thing to do with all of these games is switch the penalty system off.

#90 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,501 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:03

The illegal overtake was amusing. I think the best thing to do with all of these games is switch the penalty system off.

½ agreed. No penalties leads idiotic driving, taking all possible shortcuts to make stunning laptimes and killing all fun. Especially in multiplayer.

On the other hand, losing driving rhythm makes you drive few corners wide and then game forced slowdown of 10 seconds is not very fair either. Same with blocking rules.

#91 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,047 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 14:19

Just driving the demo on the PC, not going to form a complete opinion on a demo but still, the steering is dead, lifeless and numb, the car feels heavy unresponsive so far. I'll still by the game and at least try it. Despite many of its problems 2011 at least had an element of fun about it, with the cars moving about etc but this feels boring, completely boring. So far.

#92 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,356 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 14:23

I tried it last night on the 360. Initial impressions were positive--the music, menus, and experience looked fantastic to begin with--but then things went rapidly downhill.

The graphics are still terrible. If, at this point, they're still having an issue with the driver's unrealistically-thin wrists going through the cockpit surrounding during heavy turn-in, I have no faith in their ability to make it look right. They're still running at 30 fps. Still. Compared to Forza, the sense of speed just isn't there. It looks choppy, and the fake g-loading effects on the camera during turning are more irritating than they are realistic. It was difficult for me to drive the car in any view other than the on-board camera. The lighting engine also did its best to make Yas Marina look like something out of Mario Kart, and the angular McLaren I was driving looked far from realistic, let alone aerodynamic. Forza 4 has got it 100% over F1 2012 in terms of graphics.

And I would readily forgive Codemasters for that if the gameplay was great. Unfortunately, it's not. The handling model is just soulless. There wasn't a single time last night that I felt connected to the car. The steering and handling in general, with all assists off, felt very disconnected. The brakes were almost completely ineffective--however I tried to brake, I'd almost always end up sailing straight through the corners if I tried braking where the suggested line told me to do so. I play with a game-pad, but this honestly shouldn't be an issue--I have no problem sensing my car in Forza because of the precision feedback issued by the rumble feature. In Forza 4, it's easy for me to detect understeer/oversteer/the moment I begin to lose traction just from the feel of the car through the controller--in F1 2012, this was totally impossible for me. The easiest way for me to describe the handling is that it felt as if the car was hovering just above the track surface, only coming into contact with it when I locked up my brakes or spun out completely. Otherwise, it felt very floaty, and wholly unrealistic compared to Forza or even past F1 games. There was little feedback at all, and when there was, it was almost impossible to tell what the car was doing. Forza 4 has got it 100% over F1 2012 in terms of physics, as well.

The menus, while they looked nice at first, were intensely confusing. I selected my championship rival without even knowing what I was doing because I was presented with an ambiguous screen that gave me no hint whatsoever as to what I was doing. Please don't go the 'excited 20-something programmer' route and make the menu options these pictures that have no relation to the actual option whatsoever. I'm so tired of programmers going the 'app button' route on games and hiding the menu options in these giant picture boxes. The issue I have with this--especially when the menu is set within a moving environment--is that it very quickly becomes difficult to tell what is and isn't selectable. The player's options should be very clear to them--I hate having to 'feel' my way around the garage to determine whether or not I've found all the selectable menu options. Form over function; I shouldn't have to go exploring to find out what is and isn't selectable. Some might argue that I'm just a stupid fool because I can't find my way around the game, but if you do, please answer me this: as a programmer, why would you try to alienate any players from all the features of your game by using complex menus? Why wouldn't you try to make it as simple as possible for the players to find their way through the game? Give me a list and highlight what I'm currently about to select--they've been doing it this way for years quite simply because it makes the most sense. Speaking in the strictest sense--all hyperbole aside--I'd say almost any other game I've ever played is easier to navigate than F1 2012.

Long story short, it's exactly what I thought it was going to be. A game that looks outdated, running on a handling model that feels outdated, hidden behind a bunch of pointlessly flashly menus which I suppose are supposed to make up for the lousy, outdated look and feel this game has when you're actually doing what you bought it to do: race. If this had come out in 2002, I'd say it was amazing--but this is 2012. We're not running on original-gen Xboxes, PS2s, or Gamecubes anymore, so it's time to produce something that doesn't look and play like it came from that era. Codemasters, it's time to give up the F1 license and let someone who really cares about racing try their hand at it. (I'm looking at you, Turn 10.) Quite frankly, I probably wouldn't pick this one up for more than $15.

Edited by Afterburner, 12 September 2012 - 14:27.

#93 Elissa

Elissa

• 220 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 14:35

I tried it last night on the 360. Initial impressions were positive--the music, menus, and experience looked fantastic to begin with--but then things went rapidly downhill.

The graphics are still terrible. If, at this point, they're still having an issue with the driver's unrealistically-thin wrists going through the cockpit surrounding during heavy turn-in, I have no faith in their ability to make it look right. They're still running at 30 fps. Still. Compared to Forza, the sense of speed just isn't there. It looks choppy, and the fake g-loading effects on the camera during turning are more irritating than they are realistic. It was difficult for me to drive the car in any view other than the on-board camera. The lighting engine also did its best to make Yas Marina look like something out of Mario Kart, and the angular McLaren I was driving looked far from realistic, let alone aerodynamic. Forza 4 has got it 100% over F1 2012 in terms of graphics.

And I would readily forgive Codemasters for that if the gameplay was great. Unfortunately, it's not. The handling model is just soulless. There wasn't a single time last night that I felt connected to the car. The steering and handling in general, with all assists off, felt very disconnected. The brakes were almost completely ineffective--however I tried to brake, I'd almost always end up sailing straight through the corners if I tried braking where the suggested line told me to do so. I play with a game-pad, but this honestly shouldn't be an issue--I have no problem sensing my car in Forza because of the precision feedback issued by the rumble feature. In Forza 4, it's easy for me to detect understeer/oversteer/the moment I begin to lose traction just from the feel of the car through the controller--in F1 2012, this was totally impossible for me. The easiest way for me to describe the handling is that it felt as if the car was hovering just above the track surface, only coming into contact with it when I locked up my brakes or spun out completely. Otherwise, it felt very floaty, and wholly unrealistic compared to Forza or even past F1 games. There was little feedback at all, and when there was, it was almost impossible to tell what the car was doing. Forza 4 has got it 100% over F1 2012 in terms of physics, as well.

The menus, while they looked nice at first, were intensely confusing. I selected my championship rival without even knowing what I was doing because I was presented with an ambiguous screen that gave me no hint whatsoever as to what I was doing. Please don't go the 'excited 20-something programmer' route and make the menu options these pictures that have no relation to the actual option whatsoever. I'm so tired of programmers going the 'app button' route on games and hiding the menu options in these giant picture boxes. The issue I have with this--especially when the menu is set within a moving environment--is that it very quickly becomes difficult to tell what is and isn't selectable. The player's options should be very clear to them--I hate having to 'feel' my way around the garage to determine whether or not I've found all the selectable menu options. Form over function; I shouldn't have to go exploring to find out what is and isn't selectable. Some might argue that I'm just a stupid fool because I can't find my way around the game, but if you do, please answer me this: as a programmer, why would you try to alienate any players from all the features of your game by using complex menus? Why wouldn't you try to make it as simple as possible for the players to find their way through the game? Give me a list and highlight what I'm currently about to select--they've been doing it this way for years quite simply because it makes the most sense. Speaking in the strictest sense--all hyperbole aside--I'd say almost any other game I've ever played is easier to navigate than F1 2012.

Long story short, it's exactly what I thought it was going to be. A game that looks outdated, running on a handling model that feels outdated, hidden behind a bunch of pointlessly flashly menus which I suppose are supposed to make up for the lousy, outdated look and feel this game has when you're actually doing what you bought it to do: race. If this had come out in 2002, I'd say it was amazing--but this is 2012. We're not running on original-gen Xboxes, PS2s, or Gamecubes anymore, so it's time to produce something that doesn't look and play like it came from that era. Codemasters, it's time to give up the F1 license and let someone who really cares about racing try their hand at it. (I'm looking at you, Turn 10.) Quite frankly, I probably wouldn't pick this one up for more than $15.

Good review......I'll save myself the hour of downloading later then.....I was dismayed after F1 2011, Forza 4 came out 3 weeks later and guess which ones been sat in the box ever since then?!!!! I knew this game would just be a refresh and touch up job, the physics engine NEEDS to be changed.

I know they're better/more accurate sims than Forza but the feel of the car and responsiveness is light years ahead in Fm4 over the F1 series, even in a straight line you can feel how the car's gripping and the loads going into the suspension/tyres etc....don't get me started on the comparison in telemetry!

May I ask what things you drive in Forza? I tend to race X-class exclusively...I'm hovering around the top 30-35 on the overall leaderboards (Entropy Nebula) now so would like to think I know a thing or two about racing online!! Got some more hotlapping to get down tonight (that new C6 just rocks) and I won't waste time playing the demo...

#94 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 15:56

I'm being blind, but I can't find it for PS3. It should be in the store shouldn't it???

EDIT: Found it....

Edited by chrisblades85, 12 September 2012 - 16:06.

#95 pRy

pRy

• 10,920 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 16:17

I had to search for it. :) Downloading it now. Will give it a blast. I used to have so much fun with the pre Codemasters F1 game on the PS3. I only had the demo but it still let you race at Canada in the wet. It was good for a quick race.

#96 pRy

pRy

• 10,920 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 17:24

Had a quick go on the PS3 demo. I find the menu system and UI very clunky. As if it's change for change sake. I just wanted a quick race and found myself having to jump through so many hoops. Perhaps i'd get used to it the more I play it. DRS and KERS was fun.

#97 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 18:45

Does anybody find the braking, useless?

Also why the random sound when you press KERS?

Don't think I'll be parting with my £30/£40 for this. Like I said previously on this thread, the whole series seems about 6 years old.

#98 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:47

Tried the Xbox demo with controller and was very dissapointed with the feel of the game. The steering and feedback felt very numb, lifeless and totally unattached to the car. Graphics I thought were very good though. I will download the PS3 version tonight and try that with the wheel to see if its any better.

So far for me, F1 2010 is the best to date. I loved that but sold it and bought a new top spec PC for when F1 2011 came out. Was very dissapointed that F1 2011 on the PC again has no feeling or weight to the steering. The feedback and force feedback it terrible and gave me a very floaty feeling. To check I went out and bought F1 2010 again for the PS3 and it felt amazing again.

Will probably skip F1 2012 and wait for the full reviews of the finished game.

#99 pRy

pRy

• 10,920 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 14:55

Yep I felt the graphics were good too, especially the other cars. I was trailing behind a Mercedes and it felt very real.

Tiny annoying issue.. when the game shows you the shot of your car on the start/finish straight at Monza just before you gain control for the qualifying lap.. the DRS isn't open on the car model, but is open when you get cockpit view. Also I do wish they'd consider having a pause after you exit the menu if you're driving at the time. 3 or so seconds to get yourself ready to resume control.

I'll drive a bit more tonight and judge it then.

Advertisement

#100 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,256 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 17:59

What is this crap?? Did the Monza quick race and:

1) The steering is terrible, waaaay too sensitive to wheel to wheel racing or little adjustments down a straight. Clear step back from previous games.
2) The brakes are lame. They don´t have enough stopping power at high speed, they don´t lock up at low speed. Just press a button and wait for it to slow down enough.
3) With TC off, you need to be a moron to get any sort of wheelspinning. The ammount of steerig lock applied is irrelevant to the ammount of throttle you can use.
4) You can cheat the tracks like a monkey. Riding the big red curbs in Monza chicanes not only don´t send you airborne, they don´t upset the car and are the fastest way around.
5) AI is terrible. Just keep it full throttle through Curva Grande and you pass people on lap 1.
6) When you slide, which is really hard, they introduced a lame wheel scratching sound ala Gran Turismo!!! In a F1 game!!

It looks great, handles like a pig. Won´t buy straight away.

Edited by Skinnyguy, 13 September 2012 - 18:04.