* * * * * 1 votes

F1 2012

• Please log in to reply
332 replies to this topic

#251 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,390 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:36

well I trained australia for 4+ hours... and yeah... I got the feeling the braking assist breaks to hard I hardly get my car around the corner... but yeah I guess I will keep training... keeping on the line might indeed be a problem... first played with keyboard was terrible now using controller it is going a bit better but I still need to push the stick often times very slightly to stay on the line :)

I think I make an additional profile for training :)

Try turning off (or down) the braking assist and just use the racing line, it will show you when to brake and then just release the throttle and apply full brake :) You will overslow the car for the first laps but then you should be able to moderate the braking better and get a faster lap time.
I don't know how it is in F1 2012 but in some other games I know that the braking assist can destroy the lap because if you are not on the correct racing line it will apply the brakes even if you are in full control of the car.

/Viktor

Advertisement

#252 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 808 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:30

I agree, it could help, when I did a quick test playing with the keyboard and braking assist on, I thought that the assist was not really helping,

anyway, you can find some mods here,
http://www.drivingit...amp;showcat=279

also, a google search should give you some ideal setup settings for the car/track,

#253 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 17:39

Gave this another quick spin the other day and thought to myself, again, its pretty spot on for a multi platform main stream racing game, until the AI got involved and tapped my right rear from behind causing them to spin and yet I got the penalty.

Codemaster, please, i beg you, please sort out the penalty system and give the AI some balls to actually overtake!

#254 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,305 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 20:04

It's the FiFA of racing games now I reckon. I think it's a horrible game, and I played a LOT of '11. '11 had mental physics but at least it was a fun game. This tries to be more serious but ends up offering a dead driving model and loads of bugs. Meh. I may be a bit if a sim snob now though I think ;)

#255 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 287 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:38

Hi everyone, I have a few questions regarding F1 2012. Is the game out now on PC in Australia? I can't seem to find it. Will it run on Windows 8 (I am thinking of upgrading my PC?

Also how does the game compare with my last f1 game I brought which was F1 2000, I really like everything about that game. Will F1 2000 still run if I upgrade everything?

Thank you

Mouserat 159

#256 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,111 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 18:04

Gave this another quick spin the other day and thought to myself, again, its pretty spot on for a multi platform main stream racing game, until the AI got involved and tapped my right rear from behind causing them to spin and yet I got the penalty.

The driving is fun and while it´s not a sim it´s pretty good, they need to punish a bit more curb abusing and grass/turf use, and that´s about it. The weight and tyre wear simulation is up there with any other game out on any platform. The weather model can be great with some slight tweaks. They got the basics right, and that´s the hardest thing.

Now if they could code a half decent AI, we´d have a joy of a single player game.
If they could ditch their lame setup system, and punish more track abuse, we have multiplayer heaven.

Won´t happen thought. They´ve shown year after year they can´t improve these areas.

#257 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 22:56

The driving is fun and while it´s not a sim it´s pretty good, they need to punish a bit more curb abusing and grass/turf use, and that´s about it. The weight and tyre wear simulation is up there with any other game out on any platform. The weather model can be great with some slight tweaks. They got the basics right, and that´s the hardest thing.

Now if they could code a half decent AI, we´d have a joy of a single player game.
If they could ditch their lame setup system, and punish more track abuse, we have multiplayer heaven.

Won´t happen thought. They´ve shown year after year they can´t improve these areas.

Wuuut, they already are crazy on punishing grass and kerb use! One touch of the kerb and you spin usually, and when you're on the grass or runoff the car cuts out entirely! completely unrealistic.

Edited by mattferg, 04 February 2013 - 22:56.

#258 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 22:57

Hi everyone, I have a few questions regarding F1 2012. Is the game out now on PC in Australia? I can't seem to find it. Will it run on Windows 8 (I am thinking of upgrading my PC?

Also how does the game compare with my last f1 game I brought which was F1 2000, I really like everything about that game. Will F1 2000 still run if I upgrade everything?

Thank you

Mouserat 159

Game runs great on Windows 8 here! :)

#259 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 808 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 23:48

yes, I don't see why it would have any problems with Windows 8,
actually the same runs with any version from window vista up to 8.

but if you are buying a PC, I would choose carefully the CPU and Graphics card to have a good experience with the game.
if your target is 60FPS at 1920x1080 (consoles run the game at 30FPS 1280x720 with lowered details), you will probably need something fast.

Advertisement

#260 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 287 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:56

Thank you for your help

#261 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,305 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 20:48

Runs on win8 great for me too. I get 60fps with everything max with plenty of headroom too by the looks of things (un v-synced the fps is often in triple figures). My pc is pretty fast (i5 3560k/ 7850 OC 2gb) but not a monster. I can't run pCARS on max everything for example.

I also think the ffb is really good on this too, pc at least. Fantastic sense of grip and g force with my csr, much better than iracing IMHO. Though the game doesn't feel as alive and involving to drive as 'proper' sims, I do think it provides a respectable challenge for a mainstream game.

#262 Sin

Sin

• 1,940 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 14:07

I got dual core 2,2 ghz 4gb ram and an geforce gtx 460... runs fine.... lagging sometimes in the middle of it but it fixes itself..... I'm satisfied knowing that my pc is slow especially in the cpu area

#263 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,597 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 00:23

This is about 2010, but anyone know where the offline career/account folders are typically stored? I need to move to a new computer but don't want to lose my career progress.

#264 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,789 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 16:39

I'm playing this, sadly I'm forced to as I dislike rfactor and my pc won't run gp4 :(

Just had another 'epic fail' mistake from this game.

Career mode, race 4 and I get an r&d objective 'drive 3 laps at xx pace without using KERS'

Uh.. What?

I'm driving a Marussia, I have no KERS!! lol

Edited by Longtimefan, 09 February 2013 - 16:40.

#265 Sin

Sin

• 1,940 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 23:57

I'm playing this, sadly I'm forced to as I dislike rfactor and my pc won't run gp4 :(

Career mode, race 4 and I get an r&d objective 'drive 3 laps at xx pace without using KERS'

Uh.. What?

thats not fail that is just funny :D.... and Marussia is awesome

#266 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 877 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 17:05

Uh.. What?

Codemasters F1 ina nutshell.

#267 Sin

Sin

• 1,940 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 19:50

I cant connect to online games that means I can join the lobby and then when the session starts it always tells me I lost connection to 'username' as soon as I'm in the garage screen

#268 minardifans

minardifans

• 242 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:08

Once I got used to F1 2011 go kart like physics I started to enjoy it as a fun game (not a proper sim) but tried 2012 for the first time today (full game).

The graphics in places like the cars are great, some other graphics are horrible like the pit crews. And the menu system is horrendous.

If anything I think the AI is worse. The physics are unpredictable. Understeer is horrible and I'm finding that even using the dynamic racing line as a guide the brakes are useless. You try and brake where the line changes from green and the brakes are so useless that you just fly off the circuit.

#269 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:38

I think the AI is absolutely pathetic. I have AI cars get past me clearly with DRS, yet all I have to do is brake normally and I outbrake them easily into the next corner.

And I've said it before but career mode has barely moved in 2 years. Not bloody good enough.

#270 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 850 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:09

I think the AI is absolutely pathetic. I have AI cars get past me clearly with DRS, yet all I have to do is brake normally and I outbrake them easily into the next corner.

And I've said it before but career mode has barely moved in 2 years. Not bloody good enough.

I don't understand why they put so much effort into the young drivers test, it seems pointless once you've completed it for the first time, and I know for a fact they didn't implement other good features because of it.

I mainly stick to online play with friends / league since the average player has the Grosjean mentality, of "Must get to first place after first lap or the race is over".

#271 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 23:03

I still love F1 2010. The feel, graphics and game play are great. Yes it has major flaws but overall, I have found it the most enjoyable out of F1 2010 and F1 2011. F1 2011 I thought was dire. Still not tried F1 2012 and really in two finds to get it or not.

#272 minardifans

minardifans

• 242 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 23:04

After playing about with it a bit more I think the brake issues I was having was due to low frame rate. After turning a lot of the details down a bit and increasing the frame rate somewhat, the braking seems a bit more normal.

#273 MaxCrazyEddieCayer

MaxCrazyEddieCayer

• 91 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 15:21

Tried f1 2012 online for the first time last night, and i got to say that it was exactly what i thought it would be, full of self righteous assholes who thought they are Ayrton Senna or Schumacher. it was cool for the first few minutes, but after being called names and shit because i "cutted" some guy, well i didnt know that you had to let pass folks, really really makes me don't want to do that again, i would rather play with the A,I than with some of cocks i faced last night....

#274 Sin

Sin

• 1,940 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 17:20

Tried f1 2012 online for the first time last night, and i got to say that it was exactly what i thought it would be, full of self righteous assholes who thought they are Ayrton Senna or Schumacher. it was cool for the first few minutes, but after being called names and shit because i "cutted" some guy, well i didnt know that you had to let pass folks, really really makes me don't want to do that again, i would rather play with the A,I than with some of cocks i faced last night....

I wished playing online would work for me..... :o not because of that but because I just wanna see how I do compared to others... then again I probably will loose since I only use keyboard

#275 MaxCrazyEddieCayer

MaxCrazyEddieCayer

• 91 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 22:46

to be honest i thought i fared quite well, did maybe 10 races or so, finished on the podium 6 times, didnt win, but got a couples of thirds and a couples of seconds, and i too thought that i would suck big time when faced against the guys who spend their whole lives online....

#276 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,844 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:30

to be honest i thought i fared quite well, did maybe 10 races or so, finished on the podium 6 times, didnt win, but got a couples of thirds and a couples of seconds, and i too thought that i would suck big time when faced against the guys who spend their whole lives online....

In my experience, most of the online racers aren't super quick, they're just bulls in china shops.

#277 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,569 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:59

In my experience, most of the online racers aren't super quick, they're just bulls in china shops.

You know what is funny? 1. Go online and organise a race. 2. Force all help off. 3. Force cockpit view (not: cam view).

You will win almost every race. Or everyone will leave the party. All the supertimes posted on the internet are either fake, or achieved with helps on or from unrealistic camera views.

#278 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,844 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 15:54

You know what is funny? 1. Go online and organise a race. 2. Force all help off. 3. Force cockpit view (not: cam view).

You will win almost every race. Or everyone will leave the party. All the supertimes posted on the internet are either fake, or achieved with helps on or from unrealistic camera views.

Thing is you wouldn't get a lot of takers for a race like that I don't think!
Wish I had time to join one of these proper leagues but I don't.
So all in all I find the AI more "realistic" than the human crash bandits.

#279 Sin

Sin

• 1,940 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:52

which is no wonder... I just cant play without helps... at least the breaking help I need... x.x I'm trying to learn to do it without but.... for online games I wouldnt play without that help yet

Advertisement

#280 minardifans

minardifans

• 242 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 23:34

I take back my criticism somewhat, 2012 is better than 2011. I agree the AI is possibly the weakest point. Other that that it's great.

Dunno about Oz though the track seems wrong compared to every other version of Australia that I've played in other games. Have they mapped it wrong? or has every other game mapped it wrong?

#281 Collective

Collective

• 1,082 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 18:07

which is no wonder... I just cant play without helps... at least the breaking help I need... x.x I'm trying to learn to do it without but.... for online games I wouldnt play without that help yet

Auto brakes should be the very first thing you remove, otherwise outbreaking the AI is close to impossible and the game is a nightmare. Try the racing line instead to find the breakpoints more easily.

#282 Sin

Sin

• 1,940 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 15:37

Auto brakes should be the very first thing you remove, otherwise outbreaking the AI is close to impossible and the game is a nightmare. Try the racing line instead to find the breakpoints more easily.

I'm doing quite fine on amateur and intermediate, haven't tested professional yet... only not doing well on some tracks... and yeah I tried without break help.... but I need to take time for that to learn it.... so I only play that save when I feel like it... usually I play just for fun with brake assists

#283 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 287 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:48

Hi sorry if I go of the toplc but I don't kown the appropirate forurm to ask in and hoping you can help. I have a Momo Racing Force Feedback wheel from Logitech. I just brought a new PC, but my pedels have no balance, if I push the foot pedets they go from 0% to 100% progrssen, I can't have them say at 35%. The wheel works ok. Has eneyone encountered the same troubles? I was thinking of buying a new Force Feedback Wheel if I can't combat the problem.

Has anyone have any ideas how I can fix the problem? I went in to the PC gaming direcetory & did the test and the same thing happened there ( so it's not the games). Or has anyone any recomendations in buying a new Force Feedback wheel.

Thank you in advance.

Mouserat 159

#284 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 808 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:38

Hi sorry if I go of the toplc but I don't kown the appropirate forurm to ask in and hoping you can help. I have a Momo Racing Force Feedback wheel from Logitech. I just brought a new PC, but my pedels have no balance, if I push the foot pedets they go from 0% to 100% progrssen, I can't have them say at 35%. The wheel works ok. Has eneyone encountered the same troubles? I was thinking of buying a new Force Feedback Wheel if I can't combat the problem.

Has anyone have any ideas how I can fix the problem? I went in to the PC gaming direcetory & did the test and the same thing happened there ( so it's not the games). Or has anyone any recomendations in buying a new Force Feedback wheel.

Thank you in advance.

Mouserat 159

you mean the pedals go from like 0 to 1?
is it only with this game? have you tried checking for newer drivers from logitech?

I remember the Momo used to have some problems with pedals wear,
I had a similar problem once with some old microsoft wheel on windows xp, I solved by using some software called DXTweak

#285 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 287 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:44

Hello SBHM
Thank you for your reply. In answer to your question, both of the foot pedels to explain, it like truning on or off a switch or programing the accellator and the brake to the buttons.

Yes, the same thing happens to all of the games. How do I go about getting and instilling the DXTweak software? or would I be better off just buying a new wheel & pedal set?

Thank you for you help.

Mouserat 159

you mean the pedals go from like 0 to 1?
is it only with this game? have you tried checking for newer drivers from logitech?

I remember the Momo used to have some problems with pedals wear,
I had a similar problem once with some old microsoft wheel on windows xp, I solved by using some software called DXTweak

#286 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 287 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:00

Hi SBHM I just "googled" DXTweak. Could my problem be my momo Racing Foce Feedback wheel be a Analogue controller and my new PC digtail?

#287 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 808 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:06

it shouldn't be any compatibility problem, the Momo wheel just connects to your PC using the USB connector...
have you installed the latest driver from the logitech website? I think it's called "Logitech Gaming Software", it probably have a control panel where you can calibrate and verify if it's working properly (make sure you use the correct version for your Windows version)...

as for the dxtweak, I think you just need to launch it, but make sure you have tried installing the newest drivers first...

the logitech momo should work perfectly with F1 2012 and any newer PCs.

#288 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 287 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:47

Hello SPBHM
Thank you again for your help, I was able to get my pedels working perfectly by following your helpful hints.

Mouserat 159

it shouldn't be any compatibility problem, the Momo wheel just connects to your PC using the USB connector...
have you installed the latest driver from the logitech website? I think it's called "Logitech Gaming Software", it probably have a control panel where you can calibrate and verify if it's working properly (make sure you use the correct version for your Windows version)...

as for the dxtweak, I think you just need to launch it, but make sure you have tried installing the newest drivers first...

the logitech momo should work perfectly with F1 2012 and any newer PCs.

#289 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 1,277 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 19:00

Has anybody started their career with Toro Rosso? It feels so down on straight line speed compared to the others.

#290 Sin

Sin

• 1,940 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 14:08

no I started with Marussia but switched to TR in first season... and I was doing much better with them :p.... then I switched to RB for season 2, 3 and 4 and now in season 5 I switched to Sauber

.... but can it be that the Statistic system is kind of messed up xD... I says I got 79 top 20 finishes but only have 78 completed races

#291 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 716 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 20:35

Anyone else get catastrophic under steer on the hairpin in Canada? Today for me it felt almost like the scene in titanic where they're trying to steer around the iceberg.

#292 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 1,277 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 21:53

I've been trying to enjoy the career mode, but it just plain sucks. They haven't changed it much since 2010 and now its just boring to me. It's also frustrating to go play online because so many people crash you but thats a given in racing games, Forza is just as bad.

#293 Sin

Sin

• 1,940 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 16:01

I've been trying to enjoy the career mode, but it just plain sucks. They haven't changed it much since 2010 and now its just boring to me. It's also frustrating to go play online because so many people crash you but thats a given in racing games, Forza is just as bad.

need for speed always ran well online so it is not the genre.....

and I'm having fun in career mode just recently had to start over cause my savegame got corrupted in fifth season, know why it got corrupted tho (was due a bug and know how its caused) so won't happen again

#294 Arrows4Ever

Arrows4Ever

• 831 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 15:23

If anyone wanna race on the Xbox 360, feel free to add me, name is orangeARROWS.
Coop season maybe...
I'm no pro but I try to race clean.
I'm in my first year with Marussia and got my first podium in Bahrain as I finished just behind the two Macs.
I race with helpers but I'm slowly getting confortable so I might drop some down pretty soon.
Altough the idea of racing manual just blows me away, I don't know how you guys do it...with a controller. A wheel, I can see...

#295 Spamilton

Spamilton

• 42 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 17:22

They should call this game: F1US (and no, that has nothing to do with a new F1 team), as you all know what it means.

The game is 10 EUR with Steam for some weeks. I will not buy F1 2013 until I read many reviews. F1 2010 is still my favorite F1 racegame.

Edited by Spamilton, 21 April 2013 - 17:22.

#296 Wilsu

Wilsu

• 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 19:40

I just bought this after months of wondering if it's worth it. So far it has been, I'm having a blast.

Decided to drop all the driving aids straight away, except for the "right" racing line. Gives better challenge and drops the difficulty to reduce them later. I've been driving Barhain, after a day I can do very high 1,39s with Loutus, woohoo.

And now I have to buy some pedals and steering wheel, pad sucks. *Goes to get a student loan*

#297 Spamilton

Spamilton

• 42 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 20:15

I just bought this after months of wondering if it's worth it. So far it has been, I'm having a blast.

Decided to drop all the driving aids straight away, except for the "right" racing line. Gives better challenge and drops the difficulty to reduce them later. I've been driving Barhain, after a day I can do very high 1,39s with Loutus, woohoo.

And now I have to buy some pedals and steering wheel, pad sucks. *Goes to get a student loan*

Nice to hear you have such a fun with it. I think it is worth 10 EUR but not the amount I paid for it 55 EUR :/

#298 Wilsu

Wilsu

• 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 21:16

Nice to hear you have such a fun with it. I think it is worth 10 EUR but not the amount I paid for it 55 EUR :/

Yeah well quite frankly hardly any game is worth the full prize in my mind. I can't remember when's the last time i bought a game that cost more than 30 euros. F12012 was bit on the more costly side being 20 euro but I thought I'd support the local shop. Plus I like having a physical copy.

Btw is the really something fundementally flawed in this game? I know it's not a real simulator but afaik the complaints seem to focus on the lack of new features compared to previous editions.

#299 Spamilton

Spamilton

• 42 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 21:23

Yeah well quite frankly hardly any game is worth the full prize in my mind. I can't remember when's the last time i bought a game that cost more than 30 euros. F12012 was bit on the more costly side being 20 euro but I thought I'd support the local shop. Plus I like having a physical copy.

Btw is the really something fundementally flawed in this game? I know it's not a real simulator but afaik the complaints seem to focus on the lack of new features compared to previous editions.

Tue that games are not worth high money.

I am used to the understeer a bit now, but for the understeer lovers it must be great. With settings you can get it better, but still I cannot drive it fully free (drive on the edge) like I could with F1 2010 - F1 2011 so for me this game is no improvement. The menu looks nice, sounds are better, I just hope they can release a top F1 game this year. But not giving more than 20 EUR for any new games from Codies.

Advertisement

#300 Sin

Sin

• 1,940 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:19

I paid 39Euro and I played it 216 hours since January, as comparison, Skyrim I played 174 hours... for me it was very well worth the prize since it gave me so many fun hours. I generally play racing games alot with music, it is very relaxxing for me and I dream away... I cant play with brake assists off really good yet... but I'm having fun and that is the important part...

Played it online recently too kind of sucks that they put the people with no brake assists and those with them enabled in the same match, kind of sucks that people keep ramming each other.... buuut... still had some fun... even tho I exactly crashed the one time I actually won a race

Edited by Sin, 01 May 2013 - 01:55.