Photo

Official Canadian Gp 2012 Race Thread

• Please log in to reply
998 replies to this topic

#1 aray

aray

• 5,827 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:15

another exciting Sunday is beckoning us..hoping for a eventful race... :)

The Circuit:

Posted Image

some info:

Laps: 70
Circuit length: 4.361 km (2.709 mi)
Race length: 305.270 km (189.694 mi)
Number of times held: 48
First held: 1967 (Mosport Park)
Most wins (drivers): Michael Schumacher (7)
Most wins (constructors): Ferrari (13)

Edited by aray, 10 June 2012 - 06:24.

Advertisement

#2 Icicle

Icicle

• 547 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:38

Even if Lewis overtakes Vettel at some point in the race, I expect McLaren to muck it up with strategy blunder. Since T1 always has been an incident prone area, I am concerned about people around Grosjean, especially for baby Felipe.

Also hoping that Schumi would do a good race, even though he ‘feels close to victory’; I am not feeling it.

#3 aray

aray

• 5,827 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:04

i am expecting a Lewis-Vettel tangle in first corner...and then Grosjean going wild behind them... ;)

#4 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:18

i am expecting a Lewis-Vettel tangle in first corner...and then Grosjean going wild behind them...;)

Hamilton won't have a good start. It will be either an Alonso/Vettel tangle or Alonso/Hamilton.

I think Vettel and Alonso will definitely finish 1-2, with either Massa or Rosberg or Kimi as 3rd. Hamilton will go backwards in the race like always, so it just depends who has the pace to get there.

#5 aray

aray

• 5,827 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:25

all depends of track temp...if it is close to 40,then macca will suffer...

first corner is very small distance from the starting line...so vettel-lewis clashing is quite probable...

#6 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:36

first corner is very small distance from the starting line...so vettel-lewis clashing is quite probable...

also Lewis-Alonso is 'quite probable'.
and Alonso-Webber.
and Webber-Rosberg.
etc.  ;)

#7 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:45

I hope for this scenario and the repeat of Bahrain with Kimi storming trough the field. Temperatures then were also around 40 degrees

#8 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,633 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:50

If Vettel gets away.. he will get away. :lol:

Vettel or Alonso for the win i believe,Lewis on the podium will be good.

#9 aray

aray

• 5,827 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:56

also Lewis-Alonso is 'quite probable'.
and Alonso-Webber.
and Webber-Rosberg.
etc.  ;)

lewis-alonso yes...but not webber-alonso....they are much too sensible to end up crashing into each other....

not that i am berating lewis....but he always consider alonso as his real rival,hence he can get very aggressive to alonso...

#10 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:03

I can't see past a Vettel win unfortunately. 1. Vettel, 2. Alonso, 3. Hamilton is the most likely podium. If Hamilton can take the lead I still believe a Vettel win is likely but more chance of a Hamilton second place. It's horrible knowing your driver will almost certainly be facing pressure from behind rather than being able to pressure the car ahead.

#11 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:15

Very little points to Hamilton actually moving forward in this race, 'cause both Vettel and Alonso are likely to be quicker. Especially with track temp expected to be around 43-44'C. What might assist Hamilton's situation, is a likely safety car, but then again that requires his team to be absolutely on top of things.

I expect Massa - provided he survives lap one in one piece - to have a strong race moving forward and pushing Webber, perhaps even getting as far as hunting down Hamilton.
Rosberg and the Mercedes-team especially, has been a let-down so far, and I don't really know what to expect.

Button and Räikkönen should move up, and it will be exciting to see Button running the compounds in reverse order. Button one-stopping should be a given, and with a bit of luck with a possible SC, he can be a big mover.

#12 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:22

lewis-alonso yes...but not webber-alonso....they are much too sensible to end up crashing into each other....

not that i am berating lewis....but he always consider alonso as his real rival,hence he can get very aggressive to alonso...

just wanted to point out how silly is to say that Vettel and Hamilton will likely crash in the first corner, in fact I think they've never ever touched each other at the starts since they're in f1.
actually... have ever Vettel and Hamilton collided? I can't recall any occassion.

#13 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:10

If Vettel gets a good start & leads by over 1 sec before DRS comes in he'll run away with it.

#14 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:13

Lewis need to get vettel off the line otherwise the race is over.

Anyone got weather update?

#15 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:19

Lets not forget McLaren keep getting Lewis to screw with the clutch setup and it generally leads to a poor start. I think Alonso will jump him in to T1.

Button should come on strong later in the race when running light on fuel and option tyres.

Hoping Grosjean has a decent race and doesn't get taken out again.

Wondering if the Saubers can worth their way up after a poor qualifying, they usually have decent top speed so a bit strange from them.

#16 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 337 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:21

Lewis need to get vettel off the line otherwise the race is over.

Anyone got weather update?

My iphone says cloudy wih highs of 27 degrees........

#17 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:21

If Vettel gets away.. he will get away. :lol:

Vettel or Alonso for the win i believe,Lewis on the podium will be good.

The run to the 1st corner is very short, less than 200m. Are the cars fast enough to enable KERS usage at the start in this GP?

#18 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 337 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:22

Which side of the track is p1 on? The inside? Because surely that's the dirty side if you consider the racing line?

#19 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:24

Very little points to Hamilton actually moving forward in this race, 'cause both Vettel and Alonso are likely to be quicker. Especially with track temp expected to be around 43-44'C. What might assist Hamilton's situation, is a likely safety car, but then again that requires his team to be absolutely on top of things.

A 43-44C track temperature should disadvantage McLaren, and that a 1-stopper is out of the question.

Advertisement

#20 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:25

The run to the 1st corner is very short, less than 200m. Are the cars fast enough to enable KERS usage at the start in this GP?

Perhaps they'll save KERS for the exit of T6?
Those lower down the grid will probably use KERS though, at the start.

...oh, and I definitely think a one-stopper is on the cards for some, despite the track being likely to be around five degrees warmer than yesterday.
In addition, there are the possible SC-periods.

Edited by race addicted, 10 June 2012 - 09:26.

#21 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:25

Which side of the track is p1 on? The inside? Because surely that's the dirty side if you consider the racing line?

P1 is on the clean side.

#22 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 337 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:26

P1 is on the clean side.

Yeah I guessed that but is that on the right or left? I would have thought the inside would still hold advantage.....

Edited by Smitla321, 10 June 2012 - 09:27.

#23 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:30

Pole is on the left hand side, and I don't think it's particularly cleaner there, with the different lines used at the start, and end of a timed lap.

#24 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:30

Shades of 2011 in Sebs pole..
If seb wins this then Championship is over .... vettel has risen from the ashes! You heard it here first ....

#25 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:38

Yeah I guessed that but is that on the right or left? I would have thought the inside would still hold advantage.....

A video is worth a 1000 words... :D

#26 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:44

Massa/Fez is the dirtiest ever.

#27 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:13

just wanted to point out how silly is to say that Vettel and Hamilton will likely crash in the first corner, in fact I think they've never ever touched each other at the starts since they're in f1.
actually... have ever Vettel and Hamilton collided? I can't recall any occassion.

They touched at the start of Silverstone 2010, Hamilton's front wing touched Vettel's rear tyre and Vettel got a puncture. I wouldn't be crying if that happened again.

#28 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:17

Perhaps they'll save KERS for the exit of T6?
Those lower down the grid will probably use KERS though, at the start.

...oh, and I definitely think a one-stopper is on the cards for some, despite the track being likely to be around five degrees warmer than yesterday.
In addition, there are the possible SC-periods.

IMHO, none of the front runners will try a 1 stopper. Vettel will have an ace in Webber who will try to undercut those in front of him. The moment Webber pits, those in front of him will have to react to cover Webber. Vettel will the the least affected (assuming he still maintains the lead) and will only pit when necessary or when the guy in 2nd is considerably faster than he is. Those in the mid-pack like Button for instance, might try a 1 stopper as they have nothing to lose.

A safety car period is also very possible in this race. That might also change the pit strategy for the teams.

#29 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:20

Very aggressive to Alonso?

As I see, since a couple of years the two guys are very respectful to each other, on and off the track.

Yeah, they wanna beat each other, and the chance for mistakes, racing incidents are always there, but IMO they are respectful in their fights.

#30 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,900 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:22

I fear that Vettel will be +1.0 from the driver behind him by lap 2. That's what he does best. With a great start you can do great things even if the distance to turn 1 is very small, I think Fisichella and Alonso started p4 and p3 and ended in p1 and p2 after turn 1 in 2005, but that renault was a rocket starter.

#31 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:29

A video is worth a 1000 words... :D

It's very tight from T1 to T2.....

#32 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:29

i have to say that ****in' qualifying session brings bad memory of last year when you knew that vettel is gonna pip everyone else by at least 3 tenths. since he went fastest in FP3 , i knew immediately this is gonna be his qualy. and i am afraid that he will open a gap and control the thing to the end , if he does that i am gonna switch off as soon as the 10th driver crosses the line

#33 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,799 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:35

I fear that Vettel will be +1.0 from the driver behind him by lap 2. That's what he does best. With a great start you can do great things even if the distance to turn 1 is very small, I think Fisichella and Alonso started p4 and p3 and ended in p1 and p2 after turn 1 in 2005, but that renault was a rocket starter.

So are the Ferraris these days. I also agree that this is the only chance for victory, Vettel cannot be first going past the first corner.

#34 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:37

I know its a bit unsporting but I hope Vettel goes slightly wide at the first corner and we see a proper battle between the top three on the first lap. :up:

#35 harrys

harrys

• 294 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:41

Some people were suggesting yesterday that a 1=stop strategy was possible - I very much doubt it. In fact I expect many to do a 3-stop strategy. The prime tyre (soft) will be the preferred race tyres and I expect the frontrunners starting on options to be in within the first 10-12 laps.

#36 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:48

i have to say that ****in' qualifying session brings bad memory of last year when you knew that vettel is gonna pip everyone else by at least 3 tenths. since he went fastest in FP3 , i knew immediately this is gonna be his qualy. and i am afraid that he will open a gap and control the thing to the end , if he does that i am gonna switch off as soon as the 10th driver crosses the line

So you're not a fan of racing then?
If Seb converts his pole there'll be nice fights behind him Alonso vs Webber vs Rosberg perhaps
Some nice midfield battles maybe
I'm really looking forward to the race

:cool:

#37 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:49

The RedBulls reported ability to start with a lighter car due to fuel is always going to allow him to pull away, even if Lewis gets ahead Vettel will get him up the back straight on lap 1.

#38 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:15

So you're not a fan of racing then?
If Seb converts his pole there'll be nice fights behind him Alonso vs Webber vs Rosberg perhaps
Some nice midfield battles maybe
I'm really looking forward to the race

i am watching the race to see who will win , i dont watch to see who will come 2nd 3rd or 10th, i have had enough of those already in 2011

#39 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:22

i am watching the race to see who will win , i dont watch to see who will come 2nd 3rd or 10th, i have had enough of those already in 2011

In other words, no, you are not really a fan of motor racing and just a casual watcher.

Advertisement

#40 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:43

In other words, no, you are not really a fan of motor racing and just a casual watcher.

and you know me ?

#41 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:44

Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1
Waking up to a mega hot day in Montreal today. Fascinating to see what that means for the tyres later on

#42 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,387 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:48

I think high track temperatures is good news for red bull,lotus and ferrari

Edited by Mc_Silver, 10 June 2012 - 11:48.

#43 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:48

The RedBulls reported ability to start with a lighter car due to fuel is always going to allow him to pull away, even if Lewis gets ahead Vettel will get him up the back straight on lap 1.

Except Red Bulls are hitting the limiter really early. Also, looking at the speed trap results from quali, Red Bulls are the slowest on the straight, while Hamilton was 6kph faster than them. If Vettel gets overtaken then it's gone for him unless he can get the undercut after pitstops.

#44 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,387 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:49

Except Red Bulls are hitting the limiter really early. Also, looking at the speed trap results from quali, Red Bulls are the slowest on the straight, while Hamilton was 6kph faster than them. If Vettel gets overtaken then it's gone for him unless he can get the undercut after pitstops.

red bull has shorter 7th gear ratios which is an advantage for the race.

#45 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:53

red bull has shorter 7th gear ratios which is an advantage for the race.

i feel like i am having flashbacks from monza 2011

#46 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:56

So if we have for example a thrilling fight with breathtaking overtakes between Webber Alonso and Rosberg for P2 you won't be bothered because Vettel is storming to victory?

I feel bad for you because there's so much more enjoyable to racing then only following who wins or only following your favorite driver
Nonetheless I wish you an enjoyable race

#47 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:02

There's only two people who will win this race bar a hugely surprising turn of events.

Who to support Vettel or Alonso? :well:

#48 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:07

So if we have for example a thrilling fight with breathtaking overtakes between Webber Alonso and Rosberg for P2 you won't be bothered because Vettel is storming to victory?

I feel bad for you because there's so much more enjoyable to racing then only following who wins or only following your favorite driver
Nonetheless I wish you an enjoyable race

if alonso is leading or hamilton i will look for fights all down the field, but vettel is a complete turn off for me , thankfully i enjoyed the only race he won this season because kimi had a chance to fight for the win and vettel was not running away

#49 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 1,205 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:15

Can I pick Maldonado despite the 17th starting spot? :p I'll pray for a pile up and a safety car :)

#50 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:19

if alonso is leading or hamilton i will look for fights all down the field, but vettel is a complete turn off for me , thankfully i enjoyed the only race he won this season because kimi had a chance to fight for the win and vettel was not running away

What does it matter whether Alonso, Vettel or Hamilton drives off into the distance?
Or is it basically your dislike for a driver (Vettel) that makes you stop watching the race when he's likely to win?