Photo

"Lotus" at Le Mans 2012

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• 20 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:18

I'm watching LM on tv, rather bemoaning the withdrawl of Peugeot and demise of the Toyota challenge to the usual Audi steamroller, but I'm appalled to see that 'Lotus' is represented by a sticker or two and some black paint on a Lola, of all things!

What have things come to?? A branding excercise that must fool only the fools! If this is the brainchild of the late departed Mr.Behar, then good riddance.

Lotus have a LM heritage to be proud of and this latest joke is, I think, in poor taste - shame on whoever thought it up.

Advertisement

#2 Faupa

Faupa

• 66 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:34

I'm watching LM on tv, rather bemoaning the withdrawl of Peugeot and demise of the Toyota challenge to the usual Audi steamroller, but I'm appalled to see that 'Lotus' is represented by a sticker or two and some black paint on a Lola, of all things!

What have things come to?? A branding excercise that must fool only the fools! If this is the brainchild of the late departed Mr.Behar, then good riddance.

Lotus have a LM heritage to be proud of and this latest joke is, I think, in poor taste - shame on whoever thought it up.

A Nissan became a Jaguar and then a Porsche get used to it

#3 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:38

Lotus had a name in Formula 1 to be proud of, but they whored it out there as well.

#4 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:43

looks like audi is not gonna catch the Lola , 4th is a magnificent result

#5 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,588 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 14:04

guess you missed the gp2/gp3 teams, and the debacle of there indycar engine

and yeah for a privateer to beat a audi is a mega result :)

#6 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 17,966 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 14:26

guess you missed the gp2/gp3 teams, and the debacle of there indycar engine

and yeah for a privateer to beat a audi is a mega result :)

A pity though it's not a Lotus.

This branding exercise is bordering on repugnant.

#7 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,583 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 17:54

It's a Lotus-colored, sponsored, Rebeillon, Lola-Toyota.
However, in LMP2, there was a car actually named Lotus! It was a Lola-Lotus (I guess a Judd engine)

#8 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 18:08

This kind of branding just causes confusion.

#9 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 6,756 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 18:16

If ever there was a word I wish I could never hear again, it would be Lotus. So boring and endless, they're like a commercial you're suddenly seeing everywhere, except you're seeing it for years and years and years during everything you love to watch.

#10 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 18:17

I think there are some wrong things being said in this thread...

Rebellion Racing finished 4th. With a Lola B12/60-Toyota in the LMP1 class. The 'Lotus' was a Lola B12/80 in the LMP2 class fitted with a Lotus-Judd V8, and it finished 45th completing 155 laps but ultimately classified as DNF.

Lola Cars are a separate company that manufactures racing cars.

#11 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,583 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 18:21

However, both Rebeillon cars was running in Lotus-style black and gold, with Lotus stickers on ;)

#12 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 18:38

A pity though it's not a Lotus.

This branding exercise is bordering on repugnant.

:up:

#13 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,534 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 18:49

It's a Lotus-colored, sponsored, Rebeillon, Lola-Toyota.
However, in LMP2, there was a car actually named Lotus! It was a Lola-Lotus (I guess a Judd engine)

Bo it's not. It's JPS-colored.

#14 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,534 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 18:50

However, both Rebeillon cars was running in Lotus-style black and gold, with Lotus stickers on ;)

JPS style.

Posted Image

Edited by Dolph, 17 June 2012 - 18:50.

#15 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 17,966 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 19:00

Bo it's not. It's JPS-colored.

Is this or is it not a Lotus badge on the Rebellion car ?

http://www.autosport...id/13297900/s/1

#16 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,846 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 19:08

There is "previous" for Lola cars being branded as something else - the Caterham SP/300R is really a Lola for example. It has worked the other way too: the Lola THL1 and THL2 raced by the Beatrice sponsored Team Haas in 1985 and 1986, were Lolas in name only - neither of them were designed or built by Lola.

#17 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 17,966 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 19:15

If you go down that route, the Audi R8 was really a Dallara. Never gets mentioned though.

#18 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,534 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 19:44

Is this or is it not a Lotus badge on the Rebellion car ?

http://www.autosport...id/13297900/s/1

Thats why I protested only against the word "colors" and not "badge" ;)

#19 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 17,966 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 19:55

Thats why I protested only against the word "colors" and not "badge" ;)

They aren't JPS "colours" though.

They are clearly Lotus F1 colours which are themselves a homage to JPS colours. Are JPS sponsoring Rebellion racing because if not, I can't see why you can called them JPS colours.

Advertisement

#20 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,846 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 20:13

If you go down that route, the Audi R8 was really a Dallara. Never gets mentioned though.

and the "Bentley" engine in the Bentley Speed 8 was really an Audi!

#21 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 20:24

and the "Bentley" engine in the Bentley Speed 8 was really an Audi!

Quote "All design, development and manufacturing for the Bentley was done by the English outfit, Racing Technology Norfolk (RTN), located in Norfolk, United Kingdom. Chief designer was Peter Elleray.
The engine from the Audi R8, a 3.6 litre turbocharged V8, was used as the initial powerplant in 2001. The six-speed gearbox was also not the typical Ricardo unit from the R8, but instead a custom unit developed by Xtrac. Bentley also chose to run on Dunlop tyres instead of the Michelins used by Audi."

Not to mention Bentley is owned by VW also an owner of Audi not a suprise really.

That is a hell of a lot more of an impressive effort than the sticker exercise demonstrated by Lotus.

#22 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,846 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 20:47

Quote "All design, development and manufacturing for the Bentley was done by the English outfit, Racing Technology Norfolk (RTN), located in Norfolk, United Kingdom. Chief designer was Peter Elleray.
The engine from the Audi R8, a 3.6 litre turbocharged V8, was used as the initial powerplant in 2001. The six-speed gearbox was also not the typical Ricardo unit from the R8, but instead a custom unit developed by Xtrac. Bentley also chose to run on Dunlop tyres instead of the Michelins used by Audi."

Not to mention Bentley is owned by VW also an owner of Audi not a suprise really.

That is a hell of a lot more of an impressive effort than the sticker exercise demonstrated by Lotus.

The Audi engine in the Bentley Speed 8 was badged as a Bentley:

Posted Image

However, I wasn't comparing the Bentley Speed 8 to the Lotus (sponsored) Lola Toyota, I was responding to Ali_G's post that pointed out that the Audi R8 was really a Dallara,

The Lotus badging on the Rebellion Lolas at this year's Le Mans was just a sponsorship deal - not that far away from the Infiniti badging on the Red Bull F1 cars or the Fiat badging on the works Yamaha Moto GP bikes a few years ago.

#23 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,534 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 20:51

They aren't JPS "colours" though.

They are clearly Lotus F1 colours which are themselves a homage to JPS colours. Are JPS sponsoring Rebellion racing because if not, I can't see why you can called them JPS colours.

I call BS here. Lotus only drove with JPS colors when JPS was their title sponsor.

For the rest you really have to remember what happened in F1 in recent years. Lotus contracted 1Malaysia team to run as Lotus. They used British Racing green colors. They also contracted other teams to use those colors (indycar etc). Then they fell out with the current Caterham team and wanted to sign with then Renault team. In order for the situation not to look idiotic like in GP2 where two teams looked almost indistinguishable they said "oh wait, Lotus is not green its black and gold" and colored everything that color. They got that color from the Lotus years when Lotus had JPS as title sponsor. To claim that those are their colors is stupid, because its the same as saying that red and white are McLaren colors because they are not they are Marlboro colors.

#24 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 17,966 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 21:02

I call BS here. Lotus only drove with JPS colors when JPS was their title sponsor.

For the rest you really have to remember what happened in F1 in recent years. Lotus contracted 1Malaysia team to run as Lotus. They used British Racing green colors. They also contracted other teams to use those colors (indycar etc). Then they fell out with the current Caterham team and wanted to sign with then Renault team. In order for the situation not to look idiotic like in GP2 where two teams looked almost indistinguishable they said "oh wait, Lotus is not green its black and gold" and colored everything that color. They got that color from the Lotus years when Lotus had JPS as title sponsor. To claim that those are their colors is stupid, because its the same as saying that red and white are McLaren colors because they are not they are Marlboro colors.

If McLaren were now to run white and red again, but without Marlboro sponsorship, they would be McLaren paying homage to Marlboro, but IMO, they would be McLaren colours.

Jordan ran yellow till the very end even without B&H or DHL. Was yellow now Jordans colour or were they still running with B&H or DHL colours ?

Did Williams run with Rothmanns colours this year ?

Edited by Ali_G, 17 June 2012 - 21:03.

#25 mongo580

mongo580

• 62 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 21:41

Who cares. It looked nice.

#26 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,103 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 22:10

Who cares. It looked nice.

I think the main problem is that Lotus are just sticking their names over anything in every different road-racing motorsport, whether they actually have anything to do with the project or not. It cheapens the brand image to me, as they start looking more like a sponsor than a high-level sports car maker and racing enterprise.

#27 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,588 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 22:23

im worried about how long they can sustain that amount of sponsorship

#28 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,337 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:51

F1 is all you need.

These others are not needed, besides doing them badly makes them look worse. Simple GT racing would suffice, promoting their actual car line up.

#29 SB

SB

• 1,783 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:22

No worry, the man drives this campaign in Lotus car (company) has already been fired ....

#30 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 6,866 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:58

Did Williams run with Rothmanns colours this year ?

I don't think you can get away with that one. The Williams the past couple of years have had silver stripes while Rothmans had gold stripes :p

#31 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,117 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:28

If McLaren were now to run white and red again, but without Marlboro sponsorship, they would be McLaren paying homage to Marlboro, but IMO, they would be McLaren colours.

Not for me!

But then, I remember the great Marlboro BRMs - and the beautiful orange McLarens and the Yardley McLarens and BRMs.....

#32 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,846 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:43

F1 is all you need.

These others are not needed, besides doing them badly makes them look worse. Simple GT racing would suffice, promoting their actual car line up.

As I recall (from a published interview with the great man a couple of years ago) Dany Bahar's objective was to establish a racing pedigree for Lotus to distinguish it in the market and take sales from from Porsche, which he stated had no racing background. He decided to create this racing pedigree via sponsorship because it would be quicker and cheaper than Lotus actually racing (and he apparently saw no difference in promotional terms, between doing something yourself and sponsoring somebody else to do it in your name).

This concept struck me as bizarre at the time - not only did it ignore the long and honourable racing pedigree already associated with the name Lotus but it also overlooked the fact that Porsche's current status was largely built on racing success, especially (though not solely) at Le Mans. I guess it demonstrated clearly that he was (as he himself boasted) "not a car guy".

#33 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,594 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:57

Rebellion is only a sponsor as well (Swiss watchmakers); it's actually Speedy Team Sebah underneath. (Rebellion also branded the Judd engines in 2010 before the team switched to Toyotas.) :drunk:

#34 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:19

its called Rebellion Lola - Toyota and haz lotus colours and badge

#35 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 558 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:16

A Nissan became a Jaguar and then a Porsche get used to it

I think you mean a Jaguar (XJR14) became a Mazda (MRX01) and then became a TWR-Porsche and then a Porsche LMP198. No Nissan involved.

#36 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:33

They are coming themselves though, strapping a Lotus engine in a Colin Kolles run Lola next year http://www.autoblog....with-lola-lmp2/

#37 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:34

Penske

#38 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,846 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 18:46

They are coming themselves though, strapping a Lotus engine in a Colin Kolles run Lola next year http://www.autoblog....with-lola-lmp2/

Not quite - the link you provided is from February this year and refers to the car that Kolles's Kodema team ran in LMP2 at Le Mans last weekend. It has a Lola chassis powered by a Lotus badged, Judd built BMW V8 engine.

However, Colin Kolles has announced his intention to build a new LMP2 car in-house for next year. The new car is designed by LA-based Daniel Simon, with the Kodema technical team headed by James Key, formerly of the Force India and Sauber F1 teams. Although the new car will be badged as a Lotus it is really just another sponsorship arrangement.

#39 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 19:13

Penske

In Indycar yes, not F1, even in their brief appearance in F1 between 74 and 76 they used a red, white and blue livery quite different from the Marlboro one. Ironically Penske entered the world of F1 by sponsoring McLaren in 71.

Edited by JRizzle86, 19 June 2012 - 19:26.