Photo

Should Audi keep McNish?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,400 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:56

Two big crashes in two years; two potential wins out the window.

Advertisement

#2 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,628 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:11

He's been a huge part of them winning races as much as he's lost a couple for them. And its not even like they 'lost' much yesterday. Still a podium spot.

#3 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:11

They still won though. McNish probably shouldn't have pushed that hard considering that the #1 spun on the way to the pits.

I think it's not worth to destabilize the team by getting rid of someone whose been at the team for such a long time.

Besides they have a new premier pairing with a bunch of great drivers, though Fassler was crap this race. They should switch him with Bonanomi(sp?), he really impressed me with his driving.

#4 404KF2

404KF2

• 2,335 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:18

The guy seems like a hothead when overtaking, zero caution is used. That's not a good thing, even in an F-1 sprint race! Both this and last year, it was his fault......

#5 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,505 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:17

Allan got 2nd place, yes sure they would have wanted to win, but let's face it, Allan is still one heck of a driver at Le Mans.

#6 sesku

sesku

• 285 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:48

This is not F1 where the team keep on changing driver just because of some silly accident. Allan Mcnish is great Le Mans driver and have a very good chemisry with Dindo and Tom.

#7 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 5,148 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:56

Problem is that this was not his first silly accident.

Tom K was interviewed by Danish tv right after getting out of his car at the end and he said all the right things about being pleased for Audi and it is such a team effort. And then that he was pleased to get 2nd place since this was the first ever such for him, and that he was sorry that he couldn't give Dindo a farewell win. To me he sounded REALLY pissed of. It was all about what he didn't say and the tone.

#8 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,871 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:09

tom has screwed up races too. hes somehow gotten away with hitting some gt cars in recent years too

#9 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 5,148 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:50

tom has screwed up races too. hes somehow gotten away with hitting some gt cars in recent years too

Indeed he has. But point me to his screw ups that has cost a shot at a Le Mans win two years running, please.

Just read in Danish paper that it seems TomK could be a Toyota driver next year.
According to them, Ullrich has told TomK that he still has a lot to give, but according to Tom he has only 'seen a blank piece of paper'.
And that Toyota (that took TomK to Japan in the early nineties and made him a star out there) are sniffing around.

#10 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,083 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:53

No, not a chance. He’s won them far more races than he’s cost them. Last year was definately his fault – this year he was just unlucky – wrong place at the wrong time.
However, with Dindo likely to be retiring, things are due a shake up at Audi; with Dumas & Bernhard both Porsche factory drivers, they both might have driven their last race for Audi. Lotterer & Treluyer was maega quick and consistent – Fassler less so, and was left out last year when the battle with Peugeot was white hot, add in his slight off in the early hours - but do they change a winning partnership?

#11 d246

d246

• 571 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:53

Alan brings more than just his driving skills to the team. He's also one of the few drivers you can depend on to make a difference on track.

#12 Haribo

Haribo

• 719 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:31

Alan brings more than just his driving skills to the team. He's also one of the few drivers you can depend on to make a difference on track.

Not only that. He's a big ambassador for Audi. How many drivers out there do manufacturers use for their own adverts?

He's had a poor last two years at Le Mans. Possibly trying a bit too hard, but he wasn't the only Audi driver to stack it over the weekend.

#13 F575 GTC

F575 GTC

• 921 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:14

Of course they should keep him; he's quick and usually consistent - not just at Le Mans but everywhere else too, the laps he was doing at Silverstone in the R10 in the wet a few years back where frankly amazing. Yes he's had a couple of crashes but then they all do at some point.

#14 Peat

Peat

• 1,342 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:24

Allan is a great asset for his speed, racecraft and out-of-car persona, so no, they won't get rid of him.

He is reknowned for his skills in getting through traffic, this is full of risk. He has gotten away with it for so long that this is just fate's way of evening itself up a bit.;)

#15 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:25

mcnish will stay at audi for another 10 years i think , he is an integral part of audi recent success

#16 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:34

McNish maybe has one more year in him, but the one that gets me is Gene; I'd rather put Ray Charles in the car frankly, Gene is an uber donkey and always has been.

#17 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 5,148 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:37

McNish maybe has one more year in him, but the one that gets me is Gene; I'd rather put Ray Charles in the car frankly, Gene is an uber donkey and always has been.

I was pretty amazed when they picked him up, considering his antics in the Peugeot last year.

#18 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:42

Indeed. Surely the driver market can't be that bare ...

#19 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 5,148 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:51

If i were at the helm of Audi, I would be calling Heidfeld.

Advertisement

#20 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,400 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 14:13

I've never doubted his bravery; just his judgment.

#21 Haribo

Haribo

• 719 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 14:14

Gene was a last minute (ish) replacement because Timo Bernhard was injured

#22 naiku

naiku

• 61 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 14:48

Why? so you could have someone running around mid-pack?

#23 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 15:08

:lol:
You seriously think Nick is slower than Gene? NH might not quite cut it the sharp end of F1 anymore, but half the sportscar field weren't fast enough in the first place.

#24 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,456 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 15:11

I was pretty amazed when they picked him up, considering his antics in the Peugeot last year.

I thought that was rather surprising too. It was very unsporting and, sadly, not the first time the Peugeot drivers did something like that.

With regards to McNish, he may not be in his prime any more, but he still has a lot to give to a team like Audi. :up:

#25 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 15:13

I wasn't sure if this was a joke or not?

Do you guys have any idea what McNish has done for the team?

He is Audi's best endurance driver right now. He has been for a long time. The guy is a legend. He has made a few mistakes, but you have to remember his decisiveness in traffic is what has often won Audi races!! Likewise his night time pace, is second to none, and his wet weather pace at Le mans again has been the best!

Get rid of McNish? What next, Ferrari getting rid of Alonso? Get real guys, and I urge you to go back and watch every Le mans with McNish racing.

Future of Audi however are Andre Lotterer and Benoit Treluyer (whos performance this year did not match his EPIC pace last year!)

Edited by PNSD, 18 June 2012 - 15:16.

#26 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,501 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 15:27

Two big crashes in two years; two potential wins out the window.

Yep, no other driver has ever done anything like that, sack him immediately...

#27 metz

metz

• 9,794 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 15:44

He wasn't though.
Why would you say that after a flawless drive?
His team was the only one to split the Audis.

But McNish is also very solid. Just a bit hot and cold and temperamental. He'll stay.

#28 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,871 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 16:31

didnt tom go the wrong way round a limping bmw art car and stick it in the gravel at le mans ?

#29 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,400 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 16:45

Yep, no other driver has ever done anything like that, sack him immediately...

Perhaps I should have posed my comment as a question. Do you think Alan McNish is too aggressive at times?

#30 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,871 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 16:51

he spun trying avoid the ferrari doing something unexpected in porche curves, so it wasnt really a aggressiveness thing tbh

#31 MrFondue

MrFondue

• 326 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 16:58

Besides they have a new premier pairing with a bunch of great drivers, though Fassler was crap this race. They should switch him with Bonanomi(sp?), he really impressed me with his driving.

If for some stupid reason they should break up their top team, they'd surely put Duval in ther car instead of Fässler.

#32 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,362 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 18:41

:up:

McNish is not the man to replace, Dumas made a larger blunder if that's how we're measuring it.

If Tom goes to Toyota, the door should be open for a quality driver, who now has LMP1 Le Mans experience.

#33 Dolph

Dolph

• 5,065 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 18:55

The guy seems like a hothead when overtaking, zero caution is used. That's not a good thing, even in an F-1 sprint race! Both this and last year, it was his fault......

Iäve heared he is best through traffic. Apparently he is very agressive.

#34 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 18:55

Perhaps I should have posed my comment as a question. Do you think Alan McNish is too aggressive at times?

It's that aggression which has won many races for Audi, and of course Le mans. He is the best driver in traffic. That is pretty much a widely accepted fact!

#35 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 19:30

he spun trying avoid the ferrari doing something unexpected in porche curves, so it wasnt really a aggressiveness thing tbh

The Ferrari wasn't doing anything unexpected. Mokaweicki was just following the racing line.