Formula 2 driver help please

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 21:23

Hi,

Can anyone help identify where (places, not countries) these people were either born or from - I'm hoping a programme or article might have it somewhere;

Mika Arpiainen
Dieter Basche
Herve Bayard
Roland Binder
Alain Couderc
Jacques Coulon
Remi Gillis
Walter Habegger
Alo Lawler
Jean-Pierre Paoli
Ferrante Ponti
Hubert Striebig (I believe the Alsace region, but I'm not sure)

Also if there's any details listed for; (again, programme or write-ups of even basic information will help)

Paul Craven
Allan Deacon
Bob Hicks
Brendan McInerney
Rod Pickering
John Pollock
Jimmy Veitch
Peter Williams

Thanks in advance, I know it's a big ask :wave:

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 21:38

If you mean the '70s F2 driver Peter Williams, he lived near Brentwood in Essex

#3 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:50

If you mean the '70s F2 driver Peter Williams, he lived near Brentwood in Essex

Jimmy Veitch did a bit of racing in Scotland during the Ingliston Era. Indeed one of his claims to fame was that he was the first person to crash at Ingliston. He spun his Lotus Elite into the barriers on the first part of the Esses, the first bend at Ingliston, which was only about 120 yards from the start! He later had another spectacular accident at Ingliston in his Mini and I have a photo of him flying backwards through the air as he slid over a grassy knoll. He had a Ford Special which he called the OSCLYAT which stood for "
Only Stupid C.... like you ask that" The photo shows Jimmy's Elite crashing after 120 yards at Ingliston. Away from racing he sold cars and did many other things

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#4 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:00

Chaps?

#5 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:13

John Pollock from Carrickfergus in Northern Ireland - he passed away 2/3 years ago. Drove Lotus 48 for Team Ireland owned by Gerry Kinnane.

#6 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:32

Do you just need towns of birth Richard? Do you already have dates of birth?

I am in touch with one or two of these - or their relatives.

#7 Bruno

Bruno

• 563 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:02

http://www.racingspo...om/drivers.html

Hi,

Can anyone help identify where (places, not countries) these people were either born or from - I'm hoping a programme or article might have it somewhere;

Mika Arpiainen
Dieter Basche
Herve Bayard
Roland Binder
Alain Couderc
Jacques Coulon
Remi Gillis
Walter Habegger
Alo Lawler
Jean-Pierre Paoli
Ferrante Ponti

Also if there's any details listed for; (again, programme or write-ups of even basic information will help)

Paul Craven
Allan Deacon
Bob Hicks
Brendan McInerney
Rod Pickering
John Pollock
Jimmy Veitch
Peter Williams

#8 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:17

Just sent you Walter Habegger's nephew's email.

#9 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:24

Alo Lawler may have been born in Ireland but, I think, was based in the Wigan / St. Helens area of Lancashire.

In my mind I mixed up Austrian Hans Binder with German Roland Binder - the latter may be connected with Automobile Roland Binder in Brackenheim, near Heilbronn, in Baden-Wurtemburg. He seems to have had quite a lengthy career, F3 in the mid 1960s, F2 into the early 1970s and 'Interserie' in the early 1980s. Here's a 1964 F3 shot, Race 7, up against Piers Courage and Jonathan Williams, amongst others:

http://www.pro-steil...rennen_1964.htm

Just below the photo of Herr Binder is the perfectly named 'Willy Vroomen'!

Edited by john winfield, 20 June 2012 - 10:29.

#10 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:27

Alo Lawler may have been born in Ireland but, I think, was based in the Wigan / St. Helens area of Lancashire.

In my mind I mixed up Austrian Hans Binder with German Roland Binder - the latter may be connected with Automobile Roland Binder in Brackenheim, near Heilbronn, in Baden-Wurtemburg. He seems to have had quite a lengthy career, F3 in the mid 1960s, F2 into the early 1970s and 'Interserie' in the early 1980s. Here's a 1964 F3 shot, Race 7, up against Piers Courage and Jonathan Williams, amongst others:

http://www.pro-steil...rennen_1964.htm

Just below the photo of Herr Binder is the perfectly named 'Willy Vroomen'!

Alo Lawler alive and well living in Wigan , from Ireland I think Mountmellick Co. Laois , started his racing in the UK, saw him spend time in the winter months practising at wekends in Mondello .

John Pollock , Carrickfergus NI , family were in the newspaper business , when on form he could race with the best .died a year ago or more .

#11 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:29

Alo Lawler alive and well living in Wigan , from Ireland I think Mountmellick Co. Laois , started his racing in the UK, saw him spend time in the winter months practising at wekends in Mondello .

John Pollock , Carrickfergus NI , family were in the newspaper business , when on form he could race with the best .died a year ago or more .

Brendan Mc Inerney , from Dublin , family had a large house building business , now believed to be living in Ireland

#12 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 15:11

John Henry Noel Pollock passed away on 08 November 2010:

POLLOCK, JOHN HENRY NOEL - November 8, 2010, (suddenly), at his home, Rhanbuoy Park, Carrickfergus, beloved husband of Noeline and much-loved and loving father of Leigh and Jason, dearly-loved (John) of Chloe, Lucy, Paige and Jaye, father-in-law of Brian and Ann. House strictly private. A Funeral Service will take place on Friday 12th November, 2010, at 2.00 p.m. in the family home, 12 Rhanbuoy Park, Carrickfergus, followed by interment in Victoria Cemetery. Family flowers only please. Donations in lieu, if desired, payable by cheque or postal order to the Cancer Unit, Belfast City Hospital, c/o Mulholland Funeral Directors, 39-41 Irish Quarter South, Carrickfergus, BT38 8BL. Will be lovingly remembered and sadly missed by his sorrowing wife, son, daughter and entire family circle.

He was the former owner of Pollock Lifts Ltd. (source) and father of racing driver Jason (i.e. John Jason) Pollock who still resides in Carrickfergus.

#13 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 20:41

Thanks all so far.

To all in turn;
David, yes, thank you.
Graham, great picture and great story, thank you.
Bill, John, Edward and Reinhard, thank you very much indeed - although I am very sorry to learn John is no longer with us.
Bruno, thanks, but already have gone down that avenue.

Allen, the first list, essentially, I need their places of birth, but sometimes where they did (or do) reside leads me on to solving the birth details. I have their full dates of birth.

The second list, I don't have any biographical data, but any help of where they did live - like Peter Williams, will bring me nearer to trying to solve them. Thanks for the leads and emails, I shall pursue them fully.

The only other chap I am going to add to the original list is the late Hans-Peter Pandur, all I'm missing is his birthplace.

#14 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 21:52

The only other chap I am going to add to the original list is the late Hans-Peter Pandur, all I'm missing is his birthplace.

Heidenheim.

Alain Couderc was born in Bordeaux.

Dieter Basche lives in Eichstätt.

#15 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 22:00

Brilliant, thanks Reinhard, two more off my list to pursue. :up:

#16 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 20:12

Ferrante Ponti is, almost for sure, from Emilia-Romagna, one of the second-string Scuderia Everest drivers, raced in Italian F.3 in the last part of the '70s, should be born in the early '50s (if&when I find infos I'll be gladly pass them to you)

#17 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 20:31

It is already known that Ferrante Ponti was born on 28 January 1951 in Como.

#18 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 20:37

It is already known that Ferrante Ponti was born on 28 January 1951 in Como.

Ehm, sorry, being a Scuderia Everest driver I assumed it was from the same area as the others, now that I read your post I'm starting recalling some lost memories...excuse me, once more :)

#19 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 302 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 21:35

Hi,

Mika Arpiainen
Dieter Basche
Herve Bayard
Roland Binder
Alain Couderc
Jacques Coulon
Remi Gillis
Walter Habegger
Alo Lawler
Jean-Pierre Paoli
Ferrante Ponti

Paul Craven
Allan Deacon
Bob Hicks
Brendan McInerney
Rod Pickering
John Pollock
Jimmy Veitch
Peter Williams

Hervé BAYARD : Laucourt (Somme / 80)
Alain COUDERC : Bordeaux (Gironde / 33)
Jacques COULON : Mareil (Val d’Oise / 95)

Advertisement

#20 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 22:27

Thanks Haine - thought you might come in handy somewhere along the line! Thanks again Reinhard.

Fausto, thank you for the lead into "King"/Vadala on the other thread, I'm going to pursue that and see where I end up.

There may well be other F2 "mysteries" that come along yet after the success of this query. Thanks all so far :clap:

#21 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 18:16

Hervé BAYARD : Laucourt (Somme / 80)
Alain COUDERC : Bordeaux (Gironde / 33)
Jacques COULON : Mareil (Val d’Oise / 95)

Paul Craven advertised his F2 Chevrom B17B for sale in 1970- living then in Liversedge Yorkshire. According to www.192.com still lives in area. Log on, some bits missing.

#22 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 19:34

Thanks Richie, things like this give me a good lead and narrow it down. :up:

In case anyone else keeps tabs on these things, I've learnt today that Peter Wardle was born in Wimbledon.