Photo

New for 2014 LMP1 regulations

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Trickydicky

Trickydicky

• 67 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:44

I couldn't find a thread on the 2014 LMP1 regulation changes. Please delete if there is one.

I've found the LMP1 regs of the last couple of years a bit of a dogs dinner, so I welcome the changes that get rid of restrictors and the various limits on engine sizes and turbo's etc. It looks, on paper, quite exciting on the basis that it could lead to all kinds of permutations and variations, and genuine interest. But, my knowledge of motorsport engineering is pretty basic, so I was wondering what likely affect the rule changes re the fuel allowance will have? Could it lead to a few variations? Just how strict is that? What sort of rate are they using fuel per lap now? Will we end up with everyone going down one route as it is the only sensible option, i.e. small engines with multiple small turbo chargers? And, if so, how small are we talking?

Thanks.

Advertisement

#2 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,997 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 16:58

Haven't read fully up on the 2014 regs, but I also note that

- LMP1 cars will be slightly narrower
- All LMP1 cars will have to be Coupés

#3 Funkyskunk2

Funkyskunk2

• 51 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 17:11

Posted Image

http://auto-racing.s...ions-announced/

More detail:
http://www.lemans.or...lation_2014.pdf

 Great technological freedom will be granted to the engine (the ensemble consisting of the engine and the hybrid system) in line with the development of road-going cars.
 Engines are free. Cubic capacity, air restrictors and turbo pressures have been eliminated.
 Large reduction – up to 30%! – in the use of fossil fuels.
 The hybrid systems are free but limited in the quantity of energy and in number.
 Private teams are protected.
 The cars will have closed bodywork to improve safety. Weight and width are reduced.

I can't wait.

Edited by Funkyskunk2, 22 June 2012 - 17:19.

#4 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,997 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 17:48

They should make the front tyres narrower just for aesthetic purposes. Front ends look too bulky.

#5 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,701 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 20:11

It's all very reminiscent of Group C, except with hybrids and diesels, isn't it? I'm very curious to see what the manufacturers come up with, although I'm sad because the chances of any great sounding cars coming out of this, such as any V12 that has raced at Le Mans (Matra, Ferraris, Jag, Aston Lola), are slim. Most teams will probably end up with hybrid drive turbodiesels like what Audi is running now, which is eerily quiet. That is impressive, but I prefer my prototypes shrieking like the TS010-

#6 johnap

johnap

• 280 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 21:11

It's all very reminiscent of Group C, except with hybrids and diesels, isn't it? I'm very curious to see what the manufacturers come up with, although I'm sad because the chances of any great sounding cars coming out of this, such as any V12 that has raced at Le Mans (Matra, Ferraris, Jag, Aston Lola), are slim. Most teams will probably end up with hybrid drive turbodiesels like what Audi is running now, which is eerily quiet. That is impressive, but I prefer my prototypes shrieking like the TS010-

Toyota already have a petrol hybrid, Porsche certainly won't be running with diesel as their VAG stablemate Audi will be doing that already (it has been confirmed that Porsche and Audi will race against each other, Porsche want to test themselves) and Honda will be going for a works effort for 2014 and they aren't renowned for their diesels.

#7 Funkyskunk2

Funkyskunk2

• 51 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 00:35

They should make the front tyres narrower just for aesthetic purposes. Front ends look too bulky.

Posted Image

Yep by two inches. It appears that the width reduction is from smaller tires leaving the car unchanged. A higher roof will make the front wheels appear smaller as well.

#8 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:05

They need to fix the rear wing and sharkfin. Also I really don't understand why they all have to be coupes. I bet there are advantages in an open design if they got rid of the dumb rule that requires 2 headrests.

#9 jee

jee

• 1,285 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:50

They need to fix the rear wing and sharkfin. Also I really don't understand why they all have to be coupes. I bet there are advantages in an open design if they got rid of the dumb rule that requires 2 headrests.

The sharkfin is manditory for safety reason to avoid cars from getting airbourne (at least tehy should...)
Same applies fot the roof, same reasons to mandate them as the debate going on in F1 for driver safety.
Coupes have aerodynamicaly always been better than open lmps, but open lmp had their advantages in rain, faster driver changes and were allowed to run wider tires.
After there was a minimum time for pit stops Audi changed their cars to coupes because faster driver change were no longer and advantage.

#10 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:14

This all sounds great and will make for a technically interesting series. I have a feeling we'll be seeing some future classic race cars coming from these new rules. And let's not forget that Porsche is scheduled to return in 2014, too. All we need now is for McLaren and Ferrari to leave the spec-series formerly known as Formula 1 and build LMP1 entries.

#11 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:44

open or close cockpit, 2 seater rule is really dumb, I want the rule to go. This "these cars are road cars! ;)" thing is so lame (is "has to have space to carry one suitcase inside the car" rule still there??).

#12 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,997 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:48

Coupes have aerodynamicaly always been better than open lmps, but open lmp had their advantages in rain, faster driver changes and were allowed to run wider tires.

In the LMP - LMGTP days, the LMGTP cars were also allowed to run slightly larger air restrictors than in LMP. I never quite understood the need to give the LMGTP cars a bit more power but narrower tyres.

Also weird how this Coupe - Roadster thing has swung both ways. There were no Coupe prototypes at LeMans between 1995 and 1998. None in 1994 unless you count Group C cars adapted for GT regulations.

#13 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,997 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:55

Posted Image

Yep by two inches. It appears that the width reduction is from smaller tires leaving the car unchanged. A higher roof will make the front wheels appear smaller as well.

Be interesting to see what they do with the front end. The current philosophy seems to be to have a very upright windscreen in order to force air around the sides of the cockpit and out the side of the car. This is opposed to 1999 GTP cars where the the windscreen design was used to force a lot of air over the cockpit instead of around it.