Photo

One stop strategy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FerrariAlonso

FerrariAlonso

• 409 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:42

Teams seem to hang on desperately on one-stop strategy. I have read so many articles about it and how much money they spend on the softwares which can take every aspect - safety car, other's startegy options, weather, etc - into account. This is the only point I think human brain is much more crucial the the computer. You know a new set of tyre can give you 2-3 second per lap and more importantly can save you from destroying your tyres completely which happened to Fernando in Canada.
Teams don't seem to take the lessons from that and Force India tried to do it yesterday again, however it was clear from Friday that the tyres suffer from massive degradation. On top of that the pit lane is here the shortest from all of the calendar. So why? And when? When will team accept that the extra stop is the way to go in these situation?

Advertisement

#2 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:57

Teams seem to hang on desperately on one-stop strategy. I have read so many articles about it and how much money they spend on the softwares which can take every aspect - safety car, other's startegy options, weather, etc - into account. This is the only point I think human brain is much more crucial the the computer. You know a new set of tyre can give you 2-3 second per lap and more importantly can save you from destroying your tyres completely which happened to Fernando in Canada.
Teams don't seem to take the lessons from that and Force India tried to do it yesterday again, however it was clear from Friday that the tyres suffer from massive degradation. On top of that the pit lane is here the shortest from all of the calendar. So why? And when? When will team accept that the extra stop is the way to go in these situation?

It's a good chance for them to take some good points every now and then (Sauber, Williams, Force India...)

Edited by SirRacer, 25 June 2012 - 07:58.

#3 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,881 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:47

It's a good chance for them to take some good points every now and then (Sauber, Williams, Force India...)

Exactly have midfield teams have the opportunity to luck into a podium. Just look at how many points one stoppers have bagged Sauber this season. They have effectively left Torro Rosso, Williams and Force India in the dust.

Midfield teams cannot beat to team on the same strategy is the Pirelli lottery allows miracles to happen such as Canada where you see two drivers who are slightly above average sharing a podium with Lewis. Something which was unthinkable in the previous 5 seasons, even on a wet Sunday.

#4 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,747 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:50

Teams don't seem to take the lessons from that and Force India tried to do it yesterday again, however it was clear from Friday that the tyres suffer from massive degradation. On top of that the pit lane is here the shortest from all of the calendar. So why?

Because it brought them a massive profit in the earlier hot race in Bahrain.

#5 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,480 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:07

If it works it's genius, if it doesn't - Doh! As Harold MacMillan once said "Events dear boy, events". Computers cannot draw inferences, they cannot look at the sky, the quantity of marbles around the edge of the circuit, and make a value judgement - The genius comes in over-riding the computer and making the correct call.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 25 June 2012 - 09:16.

#6 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:14

I don't think there is a right strategy for the entire field this year. Canada was a great example of this. A two stop was the right strategy for Lewis, Seb and should have been the right choice for Fernando. However a one stop was right for Romain and Sergio. The key is track position and clear air, which all depends on where you start and what the others are doing.

That's what's making F1 so good this year. It's close enough that each team can do what they think is right, and not be forced into the same strategy as everyone else. F1 now has a tactical element, whereas in recent years there was only a strategic decision to make. It's great! :D

#7 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,368 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:19

As i once said in another thread.

One stoppers will never work for the leading teams. Red Bull, McLaren and so on.

If you are in the top 4 at the start of the race, the chances are you will need a 2 stop

Its fine doing a one stop if you are driving slow at the start and are just outside the top 10. Teams like Sauber and Force India can afford to do this as it gets them better results in the end than 2 stops would.

I doubt anyone will win a GP this year by one stopping.

#8 Faupa

Faupa

• 66 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:49

You are wrong Teams are not desperately hanging on to a one stop statergy. Many many stratergies are played out before and during the event. Weather, humidity, fuel burn rate, grid placement, tyre choice are just a few factors that are taken into account in planning race stratergy. There are three basic statergies, working from the end result to the start of the race, from the start of the race, and on the fly.
Webber at Valencia was a classic example of the third stratergy

#9 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 841 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:37

I doubt anyone will win a GP this year by one stopping.

Quite often Monza is only done on a single stop

#10 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,433 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 13:17

But with overtaking comes: risk, luck, tyre deg, action, more wheelspin, etc. With these tyres it is just less likeable to race through the field because in the end, compared to onestoppers (which are working by maintaining their own pace and not battle hard) it's likely your second stop is too late to catch back up before anyone goes over the cliff. Your first set will reach the cliff much sooner with real racing than guys who drive their own race.

Edited by Jejking, 25 June 2012 - 13:18.