Photo

Silverstone Diamond Jubilee Year

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,136 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:03

Most fans in the grandstands stand up for the National Anthem before the start of the race, as it is Diamond Jubilee year let's sing "God Save the Queen" this time! I have tried to get this idea going on twitter (#singsilverstonesing) but have only managed to get 1 retweet from a Mclaren engineer so far, the F1 journos not responding. So any British fans ( others welcome!) please join in and pass request on. British sport could do with a boost!

Advertisement

#2 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:20

Most fans in the grandstands stand up for the National Anthem before the start of the race, as it is Diamond Jubilee year let's sing "God Save the Queen" this time! I have tried to get this idea going on twitter (#singsilverstonesing) but have only managed to get 1 retweet from a Mclaren engineer so far, the F1 journos not responding. So any British fans ( others welcome!) please join in and pass request on. British sport could do with a boost!

I would never sing 'God save the Queen', in my entire life. I have nothing against her or her family, but I'll be buggered if I'm ever going to publicly sing such colonial, royalist claptrap.

#3 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:22

A hotlink to the tweet would certainly help ;)

#4 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:05

Hopefully it will be the only time that particular anthem is played (that weekend)

:)

#5 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,021 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:07

Not too sure what you're expecting.

These are F1 fans, not members of a QEII cult.

#6 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:12

It's already played fourteen minutes before the formation lap, as is the norm at F1 events (Well, the anthem of the respective country of course).

The year I went, most people sung. If they like it, they will. Not everyone is comfortable in blurting out the lyrics if they don't believe in them.

#7 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:25

To the OP - Can the republicans be excused from this?

#8 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,136 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:38

To the OP - Can the republicans be excused from this?

Perhaps you could hum...

#9 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:49

as it is Diamond Jubilee year let's sing "God Save the Queen" this time!

There's no future for you.

#10 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:53

I doubt if most people know there is the full version of 5 verses - even her son (Prince Jug Ears) famously stopped after only 1 recently. I reckon we should stick to the first 2 verses.

1. God save our gracious Queen
Long live our noble Queen
God save the Queen
Send her victorious
Happy and glorious
Long to reign over us
God save the Queen

2. O Lord our God arise
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall
Confound their politics
Frustrate their knavish tricks
On Thee our hopes we fix
God save us all

3. Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour
Long may she reign
May she defend our laws
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen

4. Not in this land alone
But be God's mercies known
From shore to shore
Lord make the nations see
That men should brothers be
And form one family
The wide world over

5. From every latent foe
From the assassins blow
God save the Queen
O'er her thine arm extend
For Britain's sake defend
Our mother, prince, and friend
God save the Queen

#11 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:18

You could expect a vague attempt to perform something, since OP doesn't even take the effort to post a link to the tweet he wants to have retweeted itself.

#12 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:30

I would never sing 'God save the Queen', in my entire life. I have nothing against her or her family, but I'll be buggered if I'm ever going to publicly sing such colonial, royalist claptrap.

Fair enough

Good idea, I think we might need to help this particular poster with how to do that though ;)

Lots of fans sing the national anthem before football, rugby and cricket matches, are they all part of a cult?

Perhaps you could hum...

:lol:

Not really sure what you mean?

I doubt if most people know there is the full version of 5 verses - even her son (Prince Jug Ears) famously stopped after only 1 recently. I reckon we should stick to the first 2 verses.

And lewis complained we only had one verse!

You could expect a vague attempt to perform something, since OP doesn't even take the effort to post a link to the tweet he wants to have retweeted itself.

Not everyone is an IT wizard or even slighly competent you know, plus mixing forums and twitter may not have occurred to the OP...plus she's definitely not a he and she's not my dad! :D

#13 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:34

He means it, man.

Edited by Risil, 26 June 2012 - 12:35.

#14 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,021 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:39

Lots of fans sing the national anthem before football, rugby and cricket matches, are they all part of a cult?

Where did I say that. OP thinks it should be sung with more gusto because the Queen has been on the throne 60 years though. Why I don't know.

#15 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:47

He means it, man.

Nah, he's dreamin'... we love our queen, gawd saaavvess

#16 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:49

Whether or not one thinks the Queen herself is an anachronism, I'm sure we can all get behind confounding the enemy's politics and frustrating his knavish tricks.

Edited by Risil, 26 June 2012 - 12:50.

#17 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:50

Where did I say that. OP thinks it should be sung with more gusto because the Queen has been on the throne 60 years though. Why I don't know.

Ah, with you, I think that might have been an error, perhaps thinking ti would garner more support for the idea. The main thing was that last year we stood up at the national anthem and prepared to sing but nobody did and it just felt kind of weird. Nothing to do with Queenie...apart from her being subject of the song of course!

#18 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 13:32

Doesn't the full version have a sixth verse? (Paul di Resta and David Coulthard, sing along....)

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush
Rebellious Scots to crush
God save the King

http://www.telegraph...een-lyrics.html

#19 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,136 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 13:54

[tweet https://twitter.com/...604264342728704]
have tried but not sure if it works!

Advertisement

#20 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 14:00

Posted Image

Queen: "Is one DRS-ing yet?
Philip: "No marm. One must be in one's zone."

#21 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 14:05

Taking off his hat would be a good drag reduction system.

#22 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 14:10

But think of the loss of advertising (which has been Photoshopped out) space . ;)

#23 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,734 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 14:11

Be a real rebel and sing the American version! :wave:

#24 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,820 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 15:59

Can't we just sing Megadeth or something.

#25 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 776 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 16:34

No, just idiots.

#26 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 16:37

Yeah.

Funny how everyone else "has the right" to be patriotic apart from the Brits......

#27 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 16:42

Im not quite sure now, but I have a vague idea that last year the BBC aired some victories in Silverstone from the past and it seemed they only selected english drivers, this was during the anthem.

#28 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 16:43

Im not quite sure now, but I have a vague idea that last year the BBC aired some victories in Silverstone from the past and it seemed they only selected english drivers, this was during the anthem.

Did they?!

How rude!

#29 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 16:46

Can't we just sing Megadeth or something.

you meant like this:

An iron fist quietly sits inside the velvet glove
Take control, untouchable just like God above
I can't escape, wrapped in red tape, what will become of me?
If I object, then I defect my country 'tis of thee

http://www.lyricsfre...o_20091481.html

I actually thought that Xpat was referring to something like this :stoned:

#30 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 16:46

Fair enough

:lol:

And lewis complained we only had one verse!

:D

I think he was referring to the Sex Pistols version ?
I only recall the first three verses in our school hymn books-doubt we ever sang them :wave:
Not sure what my view is now-most of the population seem to support our Queen-flags still flying outside my window here.
I would be interested in joining a campain to persuade Indycar to replace England & Scotland flags with the Union flag as they use the stars & stripes for all US state drivers?

#31 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 16:55

But a state is not the same as a country, which England is. Where the UK is a 'state' but in the international sense.

Ie football.

#32 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 17:28

That's an interesting point actually. When did "British" drivers in America start using English Scottish etc. flags? I reckon it's got something to do with the Nations' Cup malarkey CART set up in 1998ish, presumably that was the first time that the series started recognising the drivers' nationalities per se, and not simply in the standard Hometown, Home State/Country notation. At any rate, that's when you started getting flags on the TV graphics. :p I remember clearly that Franchitti flew the Saltire. Did Blundell race as a "British" or "English" driver? The first driver I clearly remember using the Cross of St. G was Dan Clarke (whatever happened to him?), but I'm sure he wasn't the first.

Edited by Risil, 26 June 2012 - 17:29.

#33 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 17:39

Ugh.

#34 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 16:49

But a state is not the same as a country, which England is. Where the UK is a 'state' but in the international sense.

Ie football.

No the UK is a 'Nation' and is represented by the MSA-the union flag is flown and 'God save the Queen' played when we win?-at every international race elsewhere.

#35 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 17:25

I know that, but England/Scotland/Wales are not the equivalent of Arizona/Florida/Pennsylvania.

#36 Whythegermansdrivewell

Whythegermansdrivewell

• 29 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:22

In Silverstone most of f1 fans are Mclaren fans ? How is atmosphere about McLaren, like Ferrari's Monza ?

#37 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:42

Posted Image

:rotfl:

#38 DamienUK

DamienUK

• 87 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:13

In Silverstone most of f1 fans are Mclaren fans ? How is atmosphere about McLaren, like Ferrari's Monza ?

Over the last few years, it is like a Monza for Lewis and Jenson I guess. And to be honest, their success has helped the atmosphere. It was pretty pants in the Schumacher and Alonso Renault years to be honest - now we have a more vocal crowd, and it has a bit more of a 'bounce' to it if you know what I mean. The best sporting event I have ever been to in my life for atmosphere was the British GP in 1987 when Mansell won from 25 secs back from Piquet. I have been to Euro 96 England semi finals, England rugby games etc, but nothing beats '87. It is a nice atmosphere though, and not intimidating as some events can be.

I did love Monza, even as a Brit there the locals were very knowledgable and welcoming. In fact, all the real Tifosi - not what we get online etc - were just as complimentary about Hamilton and Vettel as they were about Fernando (and MORE so than Massa!).

Barcelona was just horrible though. Me and Dad had to put a sweatshirt on over the top of our Mclaren t shirts because of the filthy abuse we were getting. No fun.

#39 Whythegermansdrivewell

Whythegermansdrivewell

• 29 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:27

Over the last few years, it is like a Monza for Lewis and Jenson I guess. And to be honest, their success has helped the atmosphere. It was pretty pants in the Schumacher and Alonso Renault years to be honest - now we have a more vocal crowd, and it has a bit more of a 'bounce' to it if you know what I mean. The best sporting event I have ever been to in my life for atmosphere was the British GP in 1987 when Mansell won from 25 secs back from Piquet. I have been to Euro 96 England semi finals, England rugby games etc, but nothing beats '87. It is a nice atmosphere though, and not intimidating as some events can be.

I did love Monza, even as a Brit there the locals were very knowledgable and welcoming. In fact, all the real Tifosi - not what we get online etc - were just as complimentary about Hamilton and Vettel as they were about Fernando (and MORE so than Massa!).

Barcelona was just horrible though. Me and Dad had to put a sweatshirt on over the top of our Mclaren t shirts because of the filthy abuse we were getting. No fun.

nice to hear that, last year in Istanbulpark, Turkey, i was expecting more Ferrari fans than McLaren but i did not see it. As a Macca fan Silverstone i wish silverstone must be our 'real' home grand prix like Ferrari in Monza. i want all silverstone in 'McLaren gray' :)

Advertisement

#40 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:47

British sport could do with a boost!

This bit confuses me, this year British sport is being given the biggest boost it will ever get...

#41 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:53

nice to hear that, last year in Istanbulpark, Turkey, i was expecting more Ferrari fans than McLaren but i did not see it. As a Macca fan Silverstone i wish silverstone must be our 'real' home grand prix like Ferrari in Monza. i want all silverstone in 'McLaren gray' :)

Noooooo, rocket red! :D

#42 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:33

Posted Image

LOL, I almost choked on my tea. :rotfl:

#43 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:44

i want all silverstone in 'McLaren gray' :)

McLaren orange would be better.

#44 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,136 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:00

Noooooo, rocket red! :D

:up: :)

#45 Whythegermansdrivewell

Whythegermansdrivewell

• 29 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:51

actually my english is not good enough, mclaren gray comes first my mind :) rocket red, gray or any other colour dont care for me, only must be about McLaren :) i wish Macca fans and our team will feel 'home sweet home' there :)

#46 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:33

actually my english is not good enough, mclaren gray comes first my mind :) rocket red, gray or any other colour dont care for me, only must be about McLaren :) i wish Macca fans and our team will feel 'home sweet home' there :)

I think they do to be honest, big majority of maclaren fans but with plenty of other team's fans too, which is a good mix I think.

#47 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:53

Lengthy visit to the tower for you. Any fule knowz it's Ma'am as in ham, not Marm as in smarm :stoned:

#48 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,728 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 16:13

British sport could do with a boost!

Huh? What has some people singing God Save The Queen got to do with giving British sport a boost?

#49 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 16:34

All he asked is if people wanted to get together and sing our national anthem together as passionate British fans

Why do you have to all be such cynical bastards :p

#50 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 16:59

All he asked is if people wanted to get together and sing our national anthem together as passionate British fans

Why do you have to all be such cynical bastards :p

You'd think he'd get enough mindless groupthink from the Jubilee and the Olympics.