Photo

Would Alonso have won with Sauber?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: Sauber's pace (177 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Alonso would have won the last Valencian GP if he was driving a Sauber?

1. No (73 votes [41.24%])

Percentage of vote: 41.24%

2. Yes, as Sauber was faster than Ferrari on pure pace (30 votes [16.95%])

Percentage of vote: 16.95%

3. Possibly, but difficult to say (74 votes [41.81%])

Percentage of vote: 41.81%

Overall, which team had better pace(pure speed, only) throughout the year?

1. Ferrari (122 votes [68.93%])

Percentage of vote: 68.93%

2. Sauber (55 votes [31.07%])

Percentage of vote: 31.07%

What do you think will be Sauber contending for, in Silverstone?

1. low points 7-10th (90 votes [50.85%])

Percentage of vote: 50.85%

2. good points 4-6th (63 votes [35.59%])

Percentage of vote: 35.59%

3. podium (14 votes [7.91%])

Percentage of vote: 7.91%

4. eventually a win (6 votes [3.39%])

Percentage of vote: 3.39%

5. they will not have pace for any point finish position (4 votes [2.26%])

Percentage of vote: 2.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 23:25

Hi there, fellow members.

When I saw Kamui right there with Grosjean putting pressure on Hamilton, in the first stint of the race, I thought to myself: "That Sauber is really a quick car".

To me, it appeared that Sauber only lacked considerable pace to Red Bull and was only a bit slower than Grosjean's Lotus, regarding Valencia track.

As Lotus, the car have speed and excelent tire management. Williams weren't on par with Sauber this time, they were clearly a bit slower in the race.

With that all said, Koba was 4th before the first round of pitstops and definitely faster than 3rd Hamilton during all the stint. We know that Vettel and Grosjean would DNF, so if Sauber hadn't make Kamui lose position to Kimi in the pitstops and he hadn't collided with Senna, I think he had the pace to win the GP.

Therefore, I wonder what would have happened if Alonso was driving that car. I'm 99% sure he would've won it way more easily as Sauber had more speed than Ferrari(as in many tracks, so far) and was in better position before the initial pitstops.

Edited by BetaVersion, 26 June 2012 - 23:27.

Advertisement

#2 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,109 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 23:28

Sauber is a good car, but from Barcelona on not a rival for Ferrari. But overall this season it´s tight which one was better until now... anyway it applies to half the grid :rolleyes:

#3 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,580 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 23:31

Possibly, but difficult to say, Ferrari, and low points.

The Sauber does look handy this year, but I think the Ferrari has the measure of it.

I can see where you are coming from though, the Saubers have Felipe beaten.

You know so much of being an F1 fan is guesswork. I really don't know just how good Alonso is and just how badly Massa is doing. Its like the Lewis/Jenson situation. It makes it so hard to figure out where the cars sit in relation to each other. My general feeling is that Perez is having a really great year, but the Ferrari is now a solidly better car.

#4 as65p

as65p

• 17,114 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 23:34

I think it's safe to assume Alonso would have had more points than Saubers current drivers in that car, which appears a natural assumption giving the drivers respective stature and experience. OTOH, Alonso wouldn't have enjoyed the benefits of Ferraris currently exemplary pitwork, so...

Sure Alonso might have won that race in the Sauber just as he did in the Ferrari, but then again if the race was repeated today, everything else being equal as on Sunday, Alonso might not even finish but crash out while carving his way through the field.

Far too many variables overall, I would say.

#5 Risil

Risil

• 13,371 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 23:38

Depends. Who's driving Alonso's Ferrari? :cool:

#6 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 23:50

Malaysia: Alonso would've won easily seeing the pace Perez had
Valencia: Difficult to say really, Kobayashi's Q2 is 1:38.703 and Alonso's 1:38.707, that makes me believe Alonso would've been some tenths faster in that Sauber, but that's just speculation.

Sauber was easily stronger than Ferrari at the begining of the season, right now? I'd say they're not far apart in terms of performance, and I have the sense that Alonso could've done some amazing races too if he was driving that Sauber, just like Perez did to a lesser extent.

Edited by SirRacer, 26 June 2012 - 23:51.

#7 heineken2008

heineken2008

• 115 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 23:59

after watching that race on Sunday . . I think Alonso could have won in a wheelbarrow . . He was on another planet . . quite humbled to say the least - probably the best display of driving since Kimi / Suzuka '05

#8 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 00:01

Don't know why but Sauber is really hated in autosport forum. The votes, so far, are a joke :lol:

SirRacer, as65p seems to be the only non-blinds so far

Let's we all remember that even in Barcelona, Perez qualified only 2 tenths slower than Alonso and Koba, the fastest Sauber in Q2, couldn't take part in Q3 due to tech problems.

On the whole year, the only places where Ferrari had more speed than Sauber were: Bahrain, Monaco and Barcelona(this one marginally).

Sauber was quicker in all other tracks but they pitwork, strategy, drivers have been VERY erratic.

#9 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,488 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 00:47

If a few cars break/collide/fail with tyres in front of him, why not. Let's not forget Maldonado won a race on merit.

#10 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 19,932 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:01

Posts deleted, please discuss the topic, not each other or the validity of the thread.

#11 apoka

apoka

• 3,482 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:17

In any case, the races are so mixed this year and cars close in performance that many things can happen, which includes a driver of the calibre of Alonso or Vettel winning in a Sauber at Valencia.

#12 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:41

I'm not sure about Valencia but Fernando would've won a race in a RBR,Mclaren,Mercedes,Ferrari,Sauber,Williams and Lotus this year.

#13 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,450 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:31

Don't know why but Sauber is really hated in autosport forum. The votes, so far, are a joke :lol:

SirRacer, as65p seems to be the only non-blinds so far

So why the poll when you know it all?
Even if the cars can be close in pace it might be a lot more difficult winning driving for Sauber that aren't used to being a winning team. There are a lot of things that goes into a team and Ferrari is a team used to winning and Sauber not so it might be more difficult.
Not saying he wouldn't but hard to say.

#14 juandiego

juandiego

• 390 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:16

1.-Possibly, but difficult to say
2.-Sauber
3.-Good points 4-6th

Both Kobayashi and Pérez could perhaps match Alonso's speed now and then but they aren't close to him in consistency, race craft and, obviously, winning experience. Those three factors, along with Sauber's speed, are enough to admit the plausibility of Alonso winning at Valencia in that car.

Overall this season, Sauber has been better than Ferrari, though from now on I would prefer to be in a Ferrari: both seem now closely matched but Ferrari will improve faster.

Yes, a Sauber could be fighting for those positions as far as the track characteristics don't harm them and not all the top guns were delivering as expected, which usually happens.

Edited by juandiego, 27 June 2012 - 13:44.

#15 Wander

Wander

• 2,261 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 15:03

Overall this season, Sauber has been better than Ferrari, though from now on I would prefer to be in a Ferrari: both seem now closely matched but Ferrari will improve faster.

This.

If I was a driver this year in F1, I would have prefered to driver the Sauber rather than replace Felipe, BUT I would have prefered to replace Alonso rather than driver for Sauber.

#16 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,607 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 15:04

Absolutely impossible to even hazard a guess on.

#17 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 15:08

Probably .. and so would Button !

Vettel and Ham prolly not because their strength doesnt lie in doing a stop less and Sauber dwell on exactly that.

#18 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:42

It's obviously a capable car, so yes. Unfortunately they can't put things together, but more podiums are on the way.

#19 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:22

And the other Sauber :)

Advertisement

#20 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:28

And the other Sauber :)

Like?

#21 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:36

To be honest I think Kobayashi could have won that race if he hadn't been chopped by Senna. Would Alonso have won in the Sauber? I don't think so, I think Kobayashi was just driving exceptionally well. Remember, he outqualified Perez by 0.6, which is no mean feat. Regarding Silverstone, I think they could win. It should suit their car. Saying that, my money's on Maldonado for Silverstone, as it seems the Williams is the best car on that type of track.

#22 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:40

alonso would have been leading the championship in any of the following cars lotus , williams or sauber , his consistency is not bad :lol:

#23 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:47

Like?

Button :)
.. or Webber and maybe a few more

Edited by flyer121, 29 June 2012 - 11:47.

#24 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:52

What do you think will be Sauber contending for, in Silverstone?

Sauber is good when temperatures are low + Sauber has some downforce where they were quick in Montelemo tests + Sauber is good in wet => podium contenders at Silverstone

#25 Whythegermansdrivewell

Whythegermansdrivewell

• 29 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:18

actually in last ten laps, perez, maldonado are the fastest of the valenca except rosberg with new tyres. Though if you save your tyres longer times than rivals, your heating of tyres is more difficult. Since Pirelli comes here, teams must find this sensitive balance

#26 Whythegermansdrivewell

Whythegermansdrivewell

• 29 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:21

Sauber is good when temperatures are low + Sauber has some downforce where they were quick in Montelemo tests + Sauber is good in wet => podium contenders at Silverstone

is it weird, isnt it ? sauber is good at tyre degradation so is not good at tyre heating. Because of that their success in low temps look like weird to me, in low temps tyre degradation is not a big problem and tyre heating is more significant normally

#27 Trust

Trust

• 3,170 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:25

He's good, but no he wouldn't.

#28 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 688 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:33

The F2012 is tailored to his ultimate liking, not the C31, even his teammate (sidekick) hates his car.

Nobody can do a thing in another driver's car, Giancarlo in 2009 was pole setter in Spa in the VJM-02 then he sucked big time in the F60.

#29 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 13:23

The F2012 is tailored to his ultimate liking, not the C31, even his teammate (sidekick) hates his car.

Nobody can do a thing in another driver's car, Giancarlo in 2009 was pole setter in Spa in the VJM-02 then he sucked big time in the F60.

This is true... if any current driver switches to Sauber mid season , they will take the rest of the season getting used to the car.

However, OP probably referred to Alonso starting the season with Sauber ... Only one way to find out and Alonso isnt stupid to go that way :)

#30 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:32

Well, the thread had some unexpected negativity but maybe it's because of my use of Alonso as a reference of top driver.

To make it clear, I merely used Alonso as reference because he was the winner of the Valencian GP, in a car which was slower than Sauber, itself.

In a more general view, which is what I would like this thread to discuss, don't you guys think that if Hamilton, Vettel or Alonso(as already mentioned) would have won a race with Sauber this year if they were racing for them?

Obviously this is entirely a guess work but they(Sauber) have had more pace than Mclaren, Ferrari and Red Bull in more than a single ocasion.

I remember that Sauber was faster than Mclaren during all Malaysian race(wet and dry), China(Perez and Kimi were faster than both Mclaren in the first stint, then, afterwards, both engaged in an unsuccessfull strategy), Kobayashi was extremely fast in Barcelona(but we can't know what Lewis could've done without the Mclaren mistake in Q3) and then again in Valencia, Koba was faster than Lewis in first stint.

Regarding Ferrari, I think it's easier to say the tracks where Ferrari were faster as they were fewer imo. Ferrari was faster "only" in Bahrain, Barcelona and Monaco.

I also think Sauber was faster than RBR in Sepang, Barcelona and Canada(as Perez finished ahead of both even starting in 15th)

To me, Sauber, Williams and Lotus have been extraordinary cars considering their budget and I have a guess that in better hands, their results could've easily been even better

#31 Aieljose

Aieljose

• 676 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:13

Well, the thread had some unexpected negativity but maybe it's because of my use of Alonso as a reference of top driver.

To make it clear, I merely used Alonso as reference because he was the winner of the Valencian GP, in a car which was slower than Sauber, itself.

In a more general view, which is what I would like this thread to discuss, don't you guys think that if Hamilton, Vettel or Alonso(as already mentioned) would have won a race with Sauber this year if they were racing for them?

Obviously this is entirely a guess work but they(Sauber) have had more pace than Mclaren, Ferrari and Red Bull in more than a single ocasion.

I remember that Sauber was faster than Mclaren during all Malaysian race(wet and dry), China(Perez and Kimi were faster than both Mclaren in the first stint, then, afterwards, both engaged in an unsuccessfull strategy), Kobayashi was extremely fast in Barcelona(but we can't know what Lewis could've done without the Mclaren mistake in Q3) and then again in Valencia, Koba was faster than Lewis in first stint.

Regarding Ferrari, I think it's easier to say the tracks where Ferrari were faster as they were fewer imo. Ferrari was faster "only" in Bahrain, Barcelona and Monaco.

I also think Sauber was faster than RBR in Sepang, Barcelona and Canada(as Perez finished ahead of both even starting in 15th)

To me, Sauber, Williams and Lotus have been extraordinary cars considering their budget and I have a guess that in better hands, their results could've easily been even better

On what basis are you claiming that sauber was faster in valencia?? If it's based on one lap pace which i suspect it is then that logic is flawed imo. Mclaren has been one of the fastest cars in one lap pace yet in the race they have gone backwards more often than not. Ferrari have been maybe the 4th or 5th best car in qualifying but i don't think you will find many people who would rate them as the 4th or 5th best car. Ferrari have been much more consistent in their performance throughout the year while apart from spain, sauber hasn't looked nearly as strong nor as consistent.

EDIT: Seems i have written this post and have mixed up sauber with williams without even realizing it :S Must be all the talk about maldonado recently. Anyways i agree that sauber has been quicker than ferrari on average throughout the season but it's too hard to say if this means he could have won in valencia. My best guess is no.

Edited by Aieljose, 30 June 2012 - 05:22.

#32 Raifosa

Raifosa

• 468 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:45

Fred would win in HRT starting from the pits ..FACT

#33 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:04

Possibly, but difficult to say. Ferrari. Podium.

I can't see how anyone can give a definitive answer to this. For all we know, Perez and Kobayashi might be better drivers than Alonso. Perhaps Alonso wouldn't have had a podium with the Sauber. Maybe he would have won. All I know for sure is that Sauber is in a bunch of teams that if the randomness falls their way a bit they are regular podium contenders. Ferrari can contend for the win.

#34 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:05

On what basis are you claiming that sauber was faster in valencia?? If it's based on one lap pace which i suspect it is then that logic is flawed imo. Mclaren has been one of the fastest cars in one lap pace yet in the race they have gone backwards more often than not. Ferrari have been maybe the 4th or 5th best car in qualifying but i don't think you will find many people who would rate them as the 4th or 5th best car. Ferrari have been much more consistent in their performance throughout the year while apart from spain, sauber hasn't looked nearly as strong nor as consistent.

EDIT: Seems i have written this post and have mixed up sauber with williams without even realizing it :S Must be all the talk about maldonado recently. Anyways i agree that sauber has been quicker than ferrari on average throughout the season but it's too hard to say if this means he could have won in valencia. My best guess is no.

It was because of Kobayashi's pace during first stint. He was only slower than Vettel and Grosjean, iirc

#35 Aieljose

Aieljose

• 676 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 15:48

It was because of Kobayashi's pace during first stint. He was only slower than Vettel and Grosjean, iirc

Given the different traffic and strategy it's really hard to judge the pace of different cars independently. For instance it's impossible to say if grosjean would have been able to keep pace with vettel had he not been held up by hamilton. Also what do we know about their pace in the second and third stint?? Perez finished 28 seconds behind fernando which does not suggest they had the pace that ferrari had. It's possible/likely even that fernando would have lessend that gap had he been in the sauber but again by how much is difficult to say.

#36 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,045 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 18:19

I don't see how this question is answerable - I mean I suppose one can guess. But you can't just slam a driver into a car and expect he'll drive the same in it as the drivers it was set up and designed around. And you also can't assume that the Sauber team could design a car around Alonso, or Vettel, or Hamilton, or Webber or whoever, that would be similarly fast to what it ended up with this season.

#37 Claudius

Claudius

• 2,277 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 19:52

More importantly, where is Maldonado in that hypothetical situation?

#38 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,612 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 20:18

No. Alonso would have not won in the Sauber.
Ferrari, pace wise, absolutely.
Sauber will be lucky to score some points, really.

And this poll would not have been posted if not for Pirelli.

#39 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 23:33

You seem to sure, don't you?

Even Perez could've won in Malaysia, where Sauber was in my view faster than Ferrari but Alonso won instead with a Ferrari.

I wouldn't be that sure that Alonso wouldn't have won in a Sauber.

IMHO Alonso would have won with any of the current winning cars plus Sauber and Lotus:

RedBull
McLaren
Lotus
Ferrari (done twice)
Mercedes
Williams
Sauber

And he would be leading the WDC with any of those:

RedBull
McLaren
Lotus
Ferrari
Mercedes (yes, I think Mercedes drivers have done a terrible job so far with such a good package)

Of course this is all speculation, but this thread is about that, isn't it?

Edited by SirRacer, 30 June 2012 - 23:37.

Advertisement

#40 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,654 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 00:17

quite. what a funny poll. good for thought though...

#41 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:49

Even Perez could've won in Malaysia, where Sauber was in my view faster than Ferrari but Alonso won instead with a Ferrari.

If Alonso would have been driving in that Sauber in Malaysia, the same engineer would have tole him the exact same words a to checko and advised him to be happy with 2nd and NOT attack the Ferrari.

Mercedes (yes, I think Mercedes drivers have done a terrible job so far with such a good package)

Oh boy... You're in for some debate sir!

#42 Devero

Devero

• 544 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:03

I consider Massa a clearly better driver than the current Sauber pair let alone much more experienced.
What are Felipe`s accomplishments in F2012 with points tally in the standings included?

Naf more to add. :)

Edited by Devero, 01 July 2012 - 10:03.

#43 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:28

What have Peter Sauber done to you? Your post suggests highly bitterness against Sauber team.

"Ferrari, pace wise, absolutely. "

Sauber outqualified Ferrari many times, iirc, they are equal 4-4 and Ferrari have the allegelly best driver in their #1 car, so it's not just a matter of being kind to the tires.

Kobayashi started 3rd in China, 6th in Valencia and Perez 5th in Barcelona.

And I'm quite confident that Sauber will score way more points in Silverstone than your beloved Mercedes :p;)

Edited by BetaVersion, 01 July 2012 - 21:14.

#44 Vickyy

Vickyy

• 188 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:03

What have Peter Sauber done to you? Your suggests highly bitterness against Sauber team.

"Ferrari, pace wise, absolutely. "

Sauber outqualified Ferrari many times, iirc, they are equal 4-4 and Ferrari have the allegelly best driver in their #1 car, so it's not just a matter of being kind to the tires.

Kobayashi started 3rd in China, 6th in Valencia and Perez 5th in Barcelona.

And I'm quite confident that Sauber will score way more points in Silverstone than your beloved Mercedes :p;)

Weird to see you targeting every post which suggests Ferrari is faster than Sauber. Nobody is against this team or Peter Sauber, who is considered to be nicest bloke in entire paddock.
I know how it feels when perception meets reality :smoking:
As somebody pointed out, if there was no Pirelli there would have been no poll.
If we talk about one lap pace, even Force India is on par with Sauber in last few races, its just tyre degradation which is inflating the race results even more.
Sauber will achieve podiums, don't know. Sauber will achieve high point finishes, definitely possible.
Now coming back to Ferrari, even if you leave Alonso, you should notice the pace in Massa's car, its just not materializing into desired results.
Adding more to it, if we are talking about pure pace, I would rate Williams much much higher in the pecking order, but their drivers are their achilles heel.

#45 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 21:23

Weird to see you targeting every post which suggests Ferrari is faster than Sauber. Nobody is against this team or Peter Sauber, who is considered to be nicest bloke in entire paddock.
I know how it feels when perception meets reality :smoking:
As somebody pointed out, if there was no Pirelli there would have been no poll.
If we talk about one lap pace, even Force India is on par with Sauber in last few races, its just tyre degradation which is inflating the race results even more.
Sauber will achieve podiums, don't know. Sauber will achieve high point finishes, definitely possible.
Now coming back to Ferrari, even if you leave Alonso, you should notice the pace in Massa's car, its just not materializing into desired results.
Adding more to it, if we are talking about pure pace, I would rate Williams much much higher in the pecking order, but their drivers are their achilles heel.

:lol:

Well, if there wasn't any Pirelli, then only Red Bull and Mclaren would be contenders of win, most likely.

The fact is that Sauber showed, at least, roughly equal speed as Ferrari through out the year(faster in some tracks, slower in others.)

The problem with both of your posts is that they are not factual neither rational, it's just bitterness about Sauber and taking their speed for granted.

The fact they were faster in qualifying than Ferrari in 4 ocasions, faster than RBR/Mercedes/Lotus in one or two is a clear indication that they have raw speed. It's not just a matter of being ease on tires, your views are way too simplistic.

Force India on par with Sauber? :rotfl:

Only in tracks like Bahrain and Valencia, where you have slow speed corners and long straights. Wait and see how Sauber will wipe their floor, as usua, in Silverstone

I also don't agree with you about Williams pace, either. They are fast but just as Maldonado is showing, as I doubt he's much slower, if any at all, than the considered "top drivers"

Edited by BetaVersion, 01 July 2012 - 21:36.

#46 repete

repete

• 182 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 22:09

i say no

Fernando's accomplishments this year should be shared amongst his pit crew. They have been on the ball this year and have consistently been among the fastest. Putting him in the sauber means taking away his amazing pit crew.

The Sauber was also not as fast down the straits as the ferrari. FA made a couple of passes look easy in the DRS.

FA passed very few of the top drivers on track. LH was in the pits, KR in the pits, SV due to technical, PM in the pits, KK in the pits, he did pass RG on te erestart, which then before he could fight back, also had technical problems.

By no means am i not saying that FA did not drive great, he did. But this win was a team win through and through, and taking ferrari out of the equation, i dont think he would have pulled it off.

#47 Vickyy

Vickyy

• 188 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:16

The fact is that Sauber showed, at least, roughly equal speed as Ferrari through out the year(faster in some tracks, slower in others.)

Throughout the year?? We haven't reached even half a stage. Sauber was and is still a damn fast car, but you know in Formula1 there is one more race, development and updgrades, which any of the midfields can't match with Ferrari and other top teams.

The problem with both of your posts is that they are not factual neither rational, it's just bitterness about Sauber and taking their speed for granted.

Nothing to say here, I just chuckled :p

The fact they were faster in qualifying than Ferrari in 4 ocasions, faster than RBR/Mercedes/Lotus in one or two is a clear indication that they have raw speed. It's not just a matter of being ease on tires, your views are way too simplistic.

Till 2010, your qualifying decides much of the pecking order, driver's sprinted every lap without giving a damn about degradation. Now coming to Canada 12, Perez qualified 15th and Sauber was nearly 6-7th fastest, now see the race result. Now one more funny race,China 12, Sauber qualified 3rd and where the land Sunday evening.

Force India on par with Sauber? :rotfl:

Did you even watch last two qualys,I said one lap pace

I also don't agree with you about Williams pace, either. They are fast but just as Maldonado is showing, as I doubt he's much slower, if any at all, than the considered "top drivers"

If you closely watch other 22 cars, you will know how fast Williams are. I think they are fastest of all in slow speed corners, checkout their sector timings in Valencia Sec-3, Catalunya Sec-3, Monaco nearly every sector.
They won Barcelona on merit, if merit defines pace, not pampering tyres  ;)

#48 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:40

Did you even watch last two qualys,I said one lap pace

as I said earlier, it was only down to suiting the tracks. High speed corners of Silverstone will hurt FI a lot, while Sauber and Williams are gonna sail through there, very confortably

#49 sopa

sopa

• 2,699 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:59

Ferrari has been a podium car since Spain CONSISTENTLY. With the exception of Canada, Alonso has always finished on podium since then. And podium should have been a sure thing in Canada too without strategy cock-up. Sauber can impress at times, but I do not think they can match the consistency of Ferrari.

#50 launcher

launcher

• 103 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:18

Ferrari has been a podium car since Spain CONSISTENTLY. With the exception of Canada, Alonso has always finished on podium since then. And podium should have been a sure thing in Canada too without strategy cock-up. Sauber can impress at times, but I do not think they can match the consistency of Ferrari.

Alonso or Ferrari?

The Sauber drivers are constantly making heaps of mistakes all season but the speed of that car has been pretty consistent. Its been faster than the Ferrari this season, its just been let down by the drivers.