Photo

The Bugatti 100p project

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:37

Good for those who use Facebook, and for those that don't maybe we can keep those informed?

http://bugatti100p.com/

Advertisement

#2 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 14:38

Wow!

#3 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:52

Very interesting project, this one.

The original aircraft never flew (it was scheduled to take place in a European air race in late 1939...) and has for years been hanging from the ceiling in an American air museum. The "new" aircraft is intended for completion soon and the makers have an invitation to (static) display it at this years' Revival. There have been some delays (our company was involved at one point) so I'm not sure if this is still the case.

I'd love to see it fly.

#4 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 16:27

This is a fascinating story and the builders are doing a fantastic job. The pilot will be a brave man but then I suppose the test pilots always are...
I noted the choice of engines with interest-they are modified Suzuki Hyabusa engines with an output of about 200 bhp each. They will of course be very light.
The original engines were the Bugatti 50Bs which were straigth eight, dohc and supercharged!
According to Hugh Conways Magnum Opus the engines were:
"...two 4.9 litre supercharged 50B engines, the units having a guaranteed rating of 400HP at 4500 rpm, and would be accepted for payment purposes after 2 hours at 315HP and 5 minutes at the full 400HP. The engine weight was to be not more than 240 kg" . (page 463).
This seems amazingly light for two such Bugatti engines?

Edited by David Birchall, 28 June 2012 - 16:28.

#5 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 16:33

The engine weight was to be not more than 240 kg" . (page 463).
This seems amazingly light for two such Bugatti engines?

I have always thought that.

#6 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 17:53

The pilot will be a brave man but then I suppose the test pilots always are...

I don't doubt that the aircraft's parameters have been fed through the appropriate software, and modifications introduced where deemed necessary to ensure safe flying characteristics. We can already see that modern materials are making huge differences weightwise and with regard to the strength of the various components.

#7 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:28

I don't doubt that the aircraft's parameters have been fed through the appropriate software, and modifications introduced where deemed necessary to ensure safe flying characteristics. We can already see that modern materials are making huge differences weightwise and with regard to the strength of the various components.

So, are there any actual Bugatti parts in this Replica?
Anton

#8 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:02

Anton, I don't belive there are any actual Bugatti parts in it-it is inspired by the Bugatti design.

I spent some time with Conway's book and found that the 50B engine has an aluminium block/crankcase-unlike the cast iron one of the 'normal' type 50 engine. Also it was designed to produce 400bhp initially and 500bhp eventually. So the description I posted above would seem to be for EACH engine.

#9 rbm

rbm

• 336 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:10

So, are there any actual Bugatti parts in this Replica?
Anton

so no diffrent than most of the other Bugatti replicas then :smoking:

#10 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 522 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 21:36

Very interesting project, this one.

The original aircraft never flew (it was scheduled to take place in a European air race in late 1939...) and has for years been hanging from the ceiling in an American air museum. The "new" aircraft is intended for completion soon and the makers have an invitation to (static) display it at this years' Revival. There have been some delays (our company was involved at one point) so I'm not sure if this is still the case.

I'd love to see it fly.

The real one is at the EAA Airventure Museum in Oshkosh, Wisconsin:

http://www.airventur...r.asp#TopOfPage

Well worth the visit if you are over here for The Miller Event or The Hawk at Road America.

#11 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,337 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 22:54

What a GREAT looking machine just amazing for 1938/9 it a pitty it never got to fly hopefully it will this year . :up: