* * * * - 9 votes

Lotus E20 - 2012 - Part II

• Please log in to reply
3555 replies to this topic

#51 maximilian

maximilian

• 390 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 16:27

When I heard "Batman Livery" I thought... WOW... this is going to be awesome!!

Little did I know by that they meant a giant birdcrap dropping on the side pod!

Edit: if they'd put it on the front, it would look like a bat expired in dramatic fashion, hitting the (nonexistent) windshield.

Edited by maximilian, 06 July 2012 - 16:29.

Advertisement

#52 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 17:29

When I heard "Batman Livery" I thought... WOW... this is going to be awesome!!

Little did I know by that they meant a giant birdcrap dropping on the side pod!

Edit: if they'd put it on the front, it would look like a bat expired in dramatic fashion, hitting the (nonexistent) windshield.

Yeah, I was getting excited thinking about a fully flat black Batmobile. They said they were gonna have a batman livery, turns out that the 'livery' is just one sticker on the sidepod.

#53 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 20:55

Just LOL:

#54 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,813 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 22:07

http://www.ft.com/cm...l#axzz1znO3C57K

The owners of the Lotus F1 racing team are branching into the hazardous financial world of football by setting up an investment vehicle to spend as much as €500m on “the beautiful game”. Gerard Lopez and Eric Lux, whose private equity fund Genii Capital acquired the old Renault F1 team in 2009, have set their sights on about five second-tier European clubs as well as a dozen football-related businesses such as player agencies, academies and media rights management companies.

The vehicle will be managed by Genii’s sister company Mangrove Capital Partners, an early investor in Skype.

It has recruited Ferran Soriano and Marc Ingla, both of whom were senior executives at FC Barcelona during its triumphant run over recent years .

#55 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,875 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:46

I watched only a part of the FP3, but they looked competitive I think - looking forward to qualy!

#56 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,522 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:03

Kimi has no KERS. Wonderful.

#57 Trust

Trust

• 3,170 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 13:04

Kimi has no KERS. Wonderful.

No big deal in the wet really.

#58 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 13:59

No big deal in the wet really.

Yes big deal. They are still full throttle on the straights.

#59 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,806 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 14:42

6Th for Kimi and 9th for Grosjean as Hulkeberg gets penalty (5grid for changing gearbox) unless further penalties are given.

Advertisement

#60 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,201 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:45

As it comes out, Räikkönen's KERS was already broken during FP3.
The team should have been able to fix it before qualifying. This one should go in their list of negative minipoints, they could have done better there.

#61 Menace

Menace

• 12,285 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:47

Yes, and putting the inters on so late certainly costed a few positions as well. :well:

Kimi did well though.

#62 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,806 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:25

Great job from both drivers today! But in the end 5th and 6th place is dissapointment beca use the track did suit E20 perfectly, sadly the weather and small problems/errors did hide the speed of the car in qualifying as in dry conditions the car seemed to be the fastest or there abouts.anyway good to see that Lotus is still 3rd in WCC points, good job guys and with everything going like team wants (weather,luck and no errors) the win will come.

#63 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,922 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:17

Very interesting suspension travel on the Renault, seems to move vertically more than other teams, it seems like they have a very supple suspension setup helping the wear of the tyres.

#64 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,806 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:26

Very interesting suspension travel on the Renault, seems to move vertically more than other teams, it seems like they have a very supple suspension setup helping the wear of the tyres.

yes did see this as well, it looked quite scary sometimes...remembered me a lot about Kimi Nurburgring 2005.

#65 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:37

I feel good about predicting Lotus to be in top three in Silverstone: with RB but Ferrari in place of McLaren. Hard to say where precisely with wet qualifying and race positions after start.

Development wise it looked good, surprisingly after Canada when Sky "experts" announced that they may be losing development race. Approach of adjusting earlier Canada updates worked, while Ferrari had big updates and was very impressive, McLaren had problems and RB was very strong but not dominant.

Silverstone is special, though, on similar fast corners tracks there will be long straight and some bigger slow corners section. Hockenheim should be good but not as good as GB. It should be very interesting: McLaren and Mercedes can be back, RB should be even better. Are they even planning McLaren style exhaust? Four months of planning should be enough, although last time they said something about it, there were no gains to justify it. Why can others benefit from it but not them?

#66 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,806 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:42

I feel good about predicting Lotus to be in top three in Silverstone: with RB but Ferrari in place of McLaren. Hard to say where precisely with wet qualifying and race positions after start.

Development wise it looked good, surprisingly after Canada when Sky "experts" announced that they may be losing development race. Approach of adjusting earlier Canada updates worked, while Ferrari had big updates and was very impressive, McLaren had problems and RB was very strong but not dominant.

Silverstone is special, though, on similar fast corners tracks there will be long straight and some bigger slow corners section. Hockenheim should be good but not as good as GB. It should be very interesting: McLaren and Mercedes can be back, RB should be even better. Are they even planning McLaren style exhaust? Four months of planning should be enough, although last time they said something about it, there were no gains to justify it. Why can others benefit from it but not them?

let's hope Hockenheim and Hungary have some usual summer heats so Lotus will get some advantage from that :) hmm good question about McLaren style exhaust...but sometimes things that work on other cars don't work on yours. I would be more interested of getting Mercedes style of "fduct" DRS system, it would be helpfull for qualifying. Lotus has developed well and I'm sure they won't drop backwards anymore.

#67 Torsion

Torsion

• 627 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:35

I think to go for the win, we will have to go for more aggressive race strategies, at least react to situations faster. I think Kimi had better overall race pace than Vettel - at most times of the race today, but still their strategy got Vettel on the podium. I am not complaining at all, but I think that is an area which we need to really improve on.

Edited by Torsion, 08 July 2012 - 16:36.

#68 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,806 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:38

Kimi said they would figth for wins if they will start the race in top3, so they will have to sort out theri qualifying pace. today Kimi said he lost lot of time because had to look out Massa's ferrari on the first lap and because of that lost positions to Vettel and Maldonado.

#69 aray

aray

• 2,565 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:40

win will come very soon for this car...solid job by both drivers today..:up:

#70 metz

metz

• 9,701 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:48

Look where they started and where they finished.
OK drives, but the car was better than results showed.

#71 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 19:27

James Allison, Technical Director: "We saw really strong drives from both Kimi and Romain. We didn't have the best grid positions but both drivers made up places in the race. The E20 delivered performance that was the equal of any car today, and it's encouraging that even with our less than promising starting positions, we've held on to third position in the Constructors' Championship. I think we'll only be stronger in the second half of the season and when everything falls into place in qualifying and the race we'll truly be a force to be reckoned with."

They are planning on introducing blown diffusor or I'm reading way too much into those words?

#72 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,806 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 19:31

They are planning on introducing blown diffusor or I'm reading way too much into those words?

really hope so! at least Allison sounds very sure that their qualifyings will improve significantly without sacrifising racepace :up:
Didn't know Renault had bought new engines for silverstone and because of that he got more horsepower out of the engines!

#73 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 20:21

I think to go for the win, we will have to go for more aggressive race strategies, at least react to situations faster. I think Kimi had better overall race pace than Vettel - at most times of the race today, but still their strategy got Vettel on the podium. I am not complaining at all, but I think that is an area which we need to really improve on.

I also think RBR are the best when it comes to strategies. But you shouldn't forget that it didn't come easy for them. Their whole 2010 season was all about strategy cock ups (2009 also).

I think what is advantage of E20 is disadvantage for the strategists. It's E20's kindness on the tyres. It seems as the strategists always have in mind that they easly can go longer into the stints. They want to build on this advantage but those strategies aren't agressive enough when you are fighting at the top. They are great for recovering though

#74 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 22:44

Reading to much into it I think, but what I take from Allison there is that they believe they're going to start qualifying far higher up the grid and move the performance window of the car so they're not just fast at the end of the race when it is all too late.

Raikkonen looked his most comfortable in the car than I have seen for a while and Grosjean surging from the back tells you that they're faster than everything apart from the Ferraris and Red Bulls.. They utterly destroyed McLaren today.

#75 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 00:26

I also think RBR are the best when it comes to strategies. But you shouldn't forget that it didn't come easy for them. Their whole 2010 season was all about strategy cock ups (2009 also).

I think what is advantage of E20 is disadvantage for the strategists. It's E20's kindness on the tyres. It seems as the strategists always have in mind that they easly can go longer into the stints. They want to build on this advantage but those strategies aren't agressive enough when you are fighting at the top. They are great for recovering though

Winners' starting position:

Button - second
Alonso - eighth (rain)
Rosberg - first
Vettel - first
Maldonado - first
Webber - first
Hamilton - second
Alonso - eleventh but it should have been Vettel from - first
Webber - second
Should RB strategist be criticized that Vettel didn't win the race in Silverstone? No amount of aggressive RB type of strategy will make a win easy from lower starting positions, whether or not car is easy on tyres.

Closest to the regular best result was Valencia, fourth in qualifying, one position gained at the start, one through risky overtake. It was only theoretical problem because RB was out of reach but even ten laps of being blocked behind Hamilton made fighting for the win very difficult. On the other hand there was no place for alternative strategies there.

About Allison's comment: I would think it has more to do with figuring out qualifying and general development and reserves the car has. We'll see.

Good tracks for Lotus: Germany, Japan, Brazil, India, USA, Korea (or OK?)
OK: Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Hungary, Spa (or good?)
Bad: Monza (?)

#76 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:45

From F1Technical, lastest updates:

Posted Image

hi-res: http://i49.servimg.c...26/lotu-g10.jpg

#77 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:11

Hamilton ‘ready’ for Lotus amid McLaren crisis
http://www.f1zone.ne...n-crisis/14917/
Very flattering.

#78 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,806 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:25

Hamilton ‘ready’ for Lotus amid McLaren crisis
http://www.f1zone.ne...n-crisis/14917/
Very flattering.

indeed it's...but Lotus don't have afford to pay that much money for Lewis, he earns like 2-4 times as much as Kimi does at the moment and is asking even more from McLaren again.

#79 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:36

indeed it's...but Lotus don't have afford to pay that much money for Lewis, he earns like 2-4 times as much as Kimi does at the moment and is asking even more from McLaren again.

I think that with economic situation ,F1 salaries will go down. Even McLaren can't afford to pay so much. I doubt that Alonso will sign another contract like current one.
Still Lewis looking at Lotus is acknowledgment of their very good work. This was unthinkable maybe one year ago. It is interesting.

Advertisement

#80 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,806 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:43

I think that with economic situation ,F1 salaries will go down. Even McLaren can't afford to pay so much. I doubt that Alonso will sign another contract like current one.
Still Lewis looking at Lotus is acknowledgment of their very good work. This was unthinkable maybe one year ago. It is interesting.

most likely so and hope they will, they earn way too much at the moment. But there is no proof that Lewis is looking at Lotus just because daily mail says so, I believe he will still continue with McLaren....plus why would Lotus drop Romain Grosjean for just to get Lewis?:s

#81 rentonB

rentonB

• 172 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:54

First of all Lotus has strong lineup. Both Romain and Kimi does good work this season and they are exactly what Eric wanted: 2 fast drivers scoring equal amount of points (something that Enstone missed for a long time). Second, yes the team is doing outstanding job this year but cannot guarantee that they will keep later in the season and next one (tho its looks promising).
I dont see any point why Lewis would want to move to Enstone and Lotus to employe Lewis.

#82 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 969 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:56

I think this is just a bit of hot air being blown to try and get McLaren talking numbers that he is interested in. I can't see Lotus getting rid of Kimi or Romain at this stage, doesn't make any sense at all.

#83 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:03

Everybody is looking at Lotus right now. Alonso had a good look at the car after Silverstone qualifying and Adrian Newey has been looking at it rather a lot when he does his 'grid walk'.

#84 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:03

most likely so and hope they will, they earn way too much at the moment. But there is no proof that Lewis is looking at Lotus just because daily mail says so, I believe he will still continue with McLaren....plus why would Lotus drop Romain Grosjean for just to get Lewis?:s

I don't say it will happen. But, at some moment , money/salary are not enough if you want to win a title. And you will look for wining car.

#85 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:14

First of all Lotus has strong lineup. Both Romain and Kimi does good work this season and they are exactly what Eric wanted: 2 fast drivers scoring equal amount of points (something that Enstone missed for a long time). Second, yes the team is doing outstanding job this year but cannot guarantee that they will keep later in the season and next one (tho its looks promising).
I dont see any point why Lewis would want to move to Enstone and Lotus to employe Lewis.

The team has great technical director (and other aero engineers as well). James Allison that is. In 2010 they developed the car very aggressively from what was a very basic design. In 2011 front exhaust was Allison's idea. This year they also had couple of ideas like reactive syspension system.

Maby they are lacking a little money, but I think it will come with the results. They will come with good drivers, fast and who are able to deliver. I think Kimi and Romain are doing great.

#86 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:19

A bit of sad statistics: they have 3 fastest laps (more than anyone else) and 0 wins under their belt.

Edited by Baddoer, 10 July 2012 - 09:19.

#87 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,806 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:26

A bit of sad statistics: they have 3 fastest laps (more than anyone else) and 0 wins under their belt.

sad? maybe a little but I think they have awesome stats, despitate no win... 3 fastest laps and 5 podiums (only McLaren has more 6) and they are 3rd in WCC points, not far away from 2nd place :up:

#88 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,875 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:49

Well while it is nice to hear Lewis mentioned next to Lotus, I think there is no reason for them to get rid of Kimi and Romain. Despite the fact that both of them could do better from time to time, I think that overall it is one of the strongest, if not the strongest, lineup of the grid. So why would they change anything?

#89 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:22

The car is fast at the wrong times of the race. If they can sort that they're going to be a real problem for Ferrari and Red Bull.

#90 byronbolscher

byronbolscher

• 242 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:28

Well while it is nice to hear Lewis mentioned next to Lotus, I think there is no reason for them to get rid of Kimi and Romain. Despite the fact that both of them could do better from time to time, I think that overall it is one of the strongest, if not the strongest, lineup of the grid. So why would they change anything?

Another thing, why would Hamilton go to Lotus? Over the long run (a couple of years), is Lotus a better option then Mclaren? I don't think they are.. I guess if Hamilton does go, I can see a straight swap for who ever they get rid off (Kimi/Grosjean) with Mclaren.

#91 slideways

slideways

• 3,241 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:41

Grosjean is inexperienced and Kimi is rusty. Half the time they are qualifying badly or crashing out. Hamilton would have delivered far better results. I don't like him btw and I do like both lotus drivers .. :drunk: I think they have potential but even if the team carries their form over into 2013, they'll have one season before a complete reset so signing Hamilton for a title charge would make all kinds of sense IMO.

Another thing, why would Hamilton go to Lotus? Over the long run (a couple of years), is Lotus a better option then Mclaren? I don't think they are.. I guess if Hamilton does go, I can see a straight swap for who ever they get rid off (Kimi/Grosjean) with Mclaren.

Maybe he'll crack the shits at McL and go there for one season but I doubt it very much.

#92 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 14:25

I think this is just a bit of hot air being blown to try and get McLaren talking numbers that he is interested in. I can't see Lotus getting rid of Kimi or Romain at this stage, doesn't make any sense at all.

Of course it is. With Webber's extension there's one less team to speculate about. Lotus is fast recently so it's just normal negotiations tactic to throw the connection to the public. Not long ago it was Mercedes. Hamilton needs to pretend that there are other options for him while talking to McLaren about new contract. Ferrari is not an option, RB - no, Mercedes we've heard it already, time for Lotus. Especially if it's about the money.

#93 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 14:50

Enough with this 'Hamilton may not be needed at Lotus, because Lotus already has well-performing Raikkonen and Grosjean'. If Hamilton wants to join, one of the two present drivers is definitely out, does not matter whether it is Raikkonen or Grosjean. I believe it is nothing more than a negotiation bluff.

#94 Carlo's

Carlo's

• 999 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 14:32

We have nearly reached the halfway of this season. What do you think guys about their WCC chances? To be honest I'm maybe a bit sceptical, but I believe that 4th place is the best they can afford. I expect McLaren to get their act together quickly, and if Alonso will mantain his pace and Massa will have no more problems, then it's done. Lotus is still up there, but everyone expect them to fall a bit behind big three, so right development path could be also crucial - it's of course quality ober quantity, but I can't help feeling that other teams have bigger updates or perhaps their's are more visible. At least the updates they introduced more or less seem to be working and usually stay on the car.

#95 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,875 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 14:39

I don't know if their updates are smaller, but their position hasn't really changed. Which means updates are equally efficient. So if it stays more or less this way and they get their sh!t together (strategy, pitstops, qualy) - results will stay good. If they will win is different story of course. But falling behind McL, or not overtaking SF - why? I think they have chance to stay in third spot. It won't be easy, but I don't think fourth is the best they can do. Actually I'd say 4th is the worst they can afford.

Edited by MadYarpen, 12 July 2012 - 14:40.

#96 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 16:38

We have nearly reached the halfway of this season. What do you think guys about their WCC chances? To be honest I'm maybe a bit sceptical, but I believe that 4th place is the best they can afford. I expect McLaren to get their act together quickly, and if Alonso will mantain his pace and Massa will have no more problems, then it's done. Lotus is still up there, but everyone expect them to fall a bit behind big three, so right development path could be also crucial - it's of course quality ober quantity, but I can't help feeling that other teams have bigger updates or perhaps their's are more visible. At least the updates they introduced more or less seem to be working and usually stay on the car.

Why not wait for exactly half of the season? Hockenheim should tell us a lot. Can RB repeat Canada/Valencia form? Or can McLaren come back? Or can Ferrari perform well on every track? I have doubts about Ferrari's strength.

Simple: if they can be closer in qualifying the pace is there to fight with anybody except Valencia RB from pole. Whether they end up second or fourth doesn't matter that much as long as it's close. About development: they may be a smaller team but I would guess regular updates are comparable, like floor, wings, suspension. The problems start when there's need for 3 different approaches to exhaust, simultaneous work on exhaust and f-duct, or when it comes to exotic problems in the middle of the season like flexing wings. That's where bigger teams have the edge.

In the meantime it was McLaren who had problems and Ferrari just recently solved them. Most of the tracks should suit them, maybe apart from Monza or I don't know, comparatively Hungaroring. It's not like car will lose its qualities, tyres, high-temperature handling; Silverstone was good, Allison and Raikkonen sounded more optimistic than ever.

#97 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 19:24

Don't see any reason why the second half of the season can't be extremely good, and why they can't be a massive thorn in the side of RB and Ferrari. They know what the issues are with the car, they've had a steady stream of aerodynamic updates and this is a car where they haven't even touched the exhaust yet. There must surely be an update for that in a few races.

Grosjean is as happy and smiley as ever, Raikkonen has started to look more comfortable with the car and both Adrian Newey and Fernando Alonso have been staring at it. Things are on the up.

#98 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,021 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:49

Lotus Factory Tour by Speed Hunters

Enjoy :wave:

Some nice technicals.

Edited by ViMaMo, 13 July 2012 - 03:02.

#99 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:52

Some nice technicals.

Thanks. Great read :up:

Advertisement

#100 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:26

Some nice technicals.

Yeah, nice memories. I remember when they build that place, Benetton name on the fence. MS was one of the racing drivers. I have small booklet from the start of 1993 season, with all drivers, tracks. New Benetton base, was also featured there, pictures. Interview with Briatore. New 1993 car.
MS the best winning driver for Enstone. 19 wins , I think.

Edited by ivand911, 13 July 2012 - 09:48.