* * * * - 9 votes

Lotus E20 - 2012 - Part II

• Please log in to reply
3555 replies to this topic

#2301 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,232 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 15:56

Its obviously one kit flown straight from factory. There is no time to do multiple as it obviously couldnt be ran at suzuka just a week ago

i'm not so sure, after hearing romains team race preview, he says initially it will be on kimi's car and if it works then both car will have it (!!! :confused: ) ... listen for yourselves

soundcloud - romain-grosjean-on-the-korean-gp

Soundcloud-kimi-r-ikk-nen-on-the-korean-gp

Edited by eronrules, 11 October 2012 - 15:58.

Advertisement

#2302 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 15:59

Of course only one car has it first, they have to compare new and old systems. If it works both will run it, Allison said it's easy to install and take off for evaluation run.

#2303 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 16:25

James Allen on Lotus's solar-powered simulator.

"The construction of the new state-of-the-art race facility adjacent to the main building at its Enstone base, which has been fully operational for the past few months and was revealed to the media this week, has been used as a platform to further reduce the team’s dependency on traditional energy sources, which has been ongoing since the Genii Capital-owned team joined forces with China-based Trina Solar in 2010."

#2304 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,232 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 16:32

James Allen on Lotus's solar-powered simulator.

"The construction of the new state-of-the-art race facility adjacent to the main building at its Enstone base, which has been fully operational for the past few months and was revealed to the media this week, has been used as a platform to further reduce the team’s dependency on traditional energy sources, which has been ongoing since the Genii Capital-owned team joined forces with China-based Trina Solar in 2010."

:up:

here in germany where i live (freiburg), our Stadion is wholly solar powered and is the worlds only solar power stadion, so kudos to LOTUSF1 for using alternative engergy and reduce dependency on fossil fuel. :cool:

#2305 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 16:37

I wasn't clear in my earlier post. I was referring to this BBC Article (Raikkonen pins F1 title hopes on major upgrade) where it says:

Only Raikkonen of the two Lotus drivers will have the system in Korea this weekend.

I thought this meant that Lotus will be running the new exhaust only on one of the E20's even on Sunday. But maybe my interpretation is wrong.

And for SpaMaster I should clarify that I'm happy that Kimi is running the new exhaust. If it works, I hope Romain gets it too. I was just wondering if the reasons for limiting to one car initially are budgetary or technical.

#2306 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,232 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 16:41

looking at this picture, i'd say they didn't modify the radiator intake and sidepod that much, the only modification is the coanda exhaust outlet.

Posted Image

#2307 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 17:09

I wasn't clear in my earlier post. I was referring to this BBC Article (Raikkonen pins F1 title hopes on major upgrade) where it says:

I thought this meant that Lotus will be running the new exhaust only on one of the E20's even on Sunday. But maybe my interpretation is wrong.

And for SpaMaster I should clarify that I'm happy that Kimi is running the new exhaust. If it works, I hope Romain gets it too. I was just wondering if the reasons for limiting to one car initially are budgetary or technical.

Nah nah, that wasn't referring to you at all. :p Just referring to the constant whinging I have been hearing recently.

#2308 Zava

Zava

• 5,089 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 17:15

looking at this picture, i'd say they didn't modify the radiator intake and sidepod that much, the only modification is the coanda exhaust outlet.

Posted Image

I think that must be Romain's car, with the new position the exhaust pipe should be visible from this angle.

edit: like on this picture:
http://www.formula1....2/d12kor134.jpg

Edited by Zava, 11 October 2012 - 17:17.

#2309 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,232 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 18:05

an interesting read ... on DDRS and passive stalling

skyf1.com - The-double-DRS-debate

The FIA has chosen - from 2013 - to interpret the Red Bull/Mercedes systems as 'driver-activated' drag reduction. From next year that can only apply to the DRS flap itself and not any secondary or tertiary drag-reducing devices. The Lotus system takes in air from inlets either side of the engine box above the cockpit and feeds it either to the beam wing and brake ducts (increasing downforce and also drag) or to the corners of the rear wing (reducing downforce and drag).

i thought Lotus system was attached to beam wing and top of the diffuser, when was brake ducts and rear wing corner(i don't know what mark hughes meant with it) was mentioned???

#2310 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,654 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 18:10

i thought Lotus system was attached to beam wing and top of the diffuser, when was brake ducts and rear wing corner(i don't know what mark hughes meant with it) was mentioned???

Air comes in from the little slits on the side of the intake above the drivers heads. Air flows down, energizing the beam wing and I guess possibly the brake ducts, too(according to Hughes). But at a certain speed, air is diverted up through the connection to the rear wing instead, stalling it and giving them extra top speed. So basically, at lower speeds, it adds downforce, at higher speeds, it'll stall the rear wing and reduces drag.

#2311 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,232 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 18:15

Air comes in from the little slits on the side of the intake above the drivers heads. Air flows down, energizing the beam wing and I guess possibly the brake ducts, too(according to Hughes). But at a certain speed, air is diverted up through the connection to the rear wing instead, stalling it and giving them extra top speed. So basically, at lower speeds, it adds downforce, at higher speeds, it'll stall the rear wing and reduces drag.

:up:

#2312 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 18:40

When Grosjean says he'll have it if it yields laptime, I pretty sure he means he'll have it for India. Regardless of it being a success or not, it's my understanding it'll only be on Räikkönen's car this weekend.

#2313 grunge

grunge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 19:59

The obvious reason they are putting it on KR's car only is because they want to compare it with the standard Suzuka rear wing and floor combo..if they run it on both cars,it would obviously be impossible to tell if they are actually gaining anything with no comparison Constant available.Everything that the Windtunnel and CBD tell doesnt come out exactly on the actual race track.

I think theyll put it on RG's car too in FP3 if it works on KR's car..if they cant do it here because of restricted resources,then in India obviously.

#2314 Wander

Wander

• 2,285 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:00

^Yes, I think it is the right approach.

#2315 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:20

http://www.ts.fi/moo...ntia lisapotkua

0,5s expected improvement. Dirty track on Fridays makes testing difficult

#2316 grunge

grunge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:49

http://www.ts.fi/moo...ntia lisapotkua

0,5s expected improvement. Dirty track on Fridays makes testing difficult

Half a second per lap isnt a realistic figure at all.. This is the first version in a long line of updates...We know based on precedent of Ferrari and Mercedes,that the improvement in one lap speed is marginal at best..it did help the aforementioned cars in reducing tire wear though with less wheel spin and lockups on corner exit.the gain in one lap speed was nill.

Id love to be proven wrong though.

#2317 grunge

grunge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 21:00

A comparison between the RB and Lotus/Mclaren/Ferrari style exhausts.

Posted Image

Chuckjr brought this up at F1tech forums that the RB duct is much more circular leading to the exit and the hump.The F/M/L design is much more sharp edged..i wonder why

Edited by grunge, 11 October 2012 - 21:06.

#2318 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 23:05

When Grosjean says he'll have it if it yields laptime, I pretty sure he means he'll have it for India. Regardless of it being a success or not, it's my understanding it'll only be on Räikkönen's car this weekend.

BBC:

"Only Raikkonen of the two Lotus drivers will have the system in Korea this weekend."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/19908795

#2319 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 23:09

OK get ready for some hi-res photos

Posted Image

Looks solid. Hopefully this one works...

Advertisement

#2320 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 958 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:21

Posted Image

#2321 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:40

Kimi was about to do some laps but come in after his outlap! Don´t take this as a good sign as he didn´t drive one single timed lap yet!

#2322 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:41

Kimi was about to do some laps but come in after his outlap! Don´t take this as a good sign as he didn´t drive one single timed lap yet!

yeah I cannot understand why he's in the bloody garage and not going out to learn the track etc... and the shot of kimi in the garage but no mechanic working on his car!

#2323 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:43

Yeah I agree he needs to get out there.

#2324 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 958 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:47

“@autosportlive: Spanners out at Lotus as well with the team making adjustments to the rear suspension on Raikkonen's heavily-revised car.

#2325 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 958 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:50

Kimi is on track.

#2326 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:56

Finally

#2327 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,654 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:16

You've almost gotta wonder whether it would've been a better idea for Grosjean to be testing out all the new bits. Kimi cant afford to lose practice time again, especially at a place he's never been to.

#2328 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 316 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:18

You've almost gotta wonder whether it would've been a better idea for Grosjean to be testing out all the new bits. Kimi cant afford to lose practice time again, especially at a place he's never been to.

It's Lotus.. what would we expect?

#2329 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:22

now the interesting question will be, will they ditch updates after this session or still test them on the second practise? kimi needs setup work and learn the track...I'm afraid updates will be gone.

#2330 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:24

Well, if Kimi is going to use the new system he needs to find a suitable setup for it. Grosjean cannot do it for him so it must be Kimi himself doing the driving. The track itself shoudn't be a problem because Kimi has always learned new tracks very quickly.

#2331 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:25

seems the oldie is working better than the newie

#2332 grunge

grunge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:34

Korean GP: Upgraded Lotus makes debut with Kimi Raikkonen

A revamped E20 took to the track in Korea on Friday morning, featuring a raft of updates including a Coanda-effect exhaust.

The team is keeping its fingers crossed that the updates, which it hopes will deliver a laptime improvement of around three tenths of a second, will help it get back on the podium for the first time since the Belgian Grand Prix.

Lotus's switch to the downwashed exhausts comes after windtunnel tests showed the design performed better than the concept the outfit had run since the start of the season.

The timing of the updates is important because the team needs to start repeating the form it enjoyed earlier this season if it is to win the world championship.

Kimi Raikkonen is 37 points adrift of leader Fernando Alonso in the title standings with five races to go.

Speaking about his hopes for the updates, Raikkonen said in Korea on Thursday that the team would only be sure of their potential after Friday practice.

"We know the numbers from the windtunnel and the other calculations but until we run anything we can't really know what it is going to bring us," he said.

"Hopefully it will work as we expect and it will improve our position in the order, but we should know after practice."

#2333 grunge

grunge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:37

Raikkonen needs some running in the upcoming FP2..hes already 7-8 laps short in FP1.

One wonders if Lotus only brought along updates for one car this weekend and that is why KR is testing now instead of RG

#2334 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:48

One wonders if Lotus only brought along updates for one car this weekend and that is why KR is testing now instead of RG

Because if they'll use it Kimi needs to get the car setup to his liking. And according to the BBC the new system is only on Kimi's car this weekend, assuming they'll end up using it that is.

#2335 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,654 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:54

Well, if Kimi is going to use the new system he needs to find a suitable setup for it. Grosjean cannot do it for him so it must be Kimi himself doing the driving. The track itself shoudn't be a problem because Kimi has always learned new tracks very quickly.

It depends on how much this system changes the characteristics of the car, I guess. If its that big a change, then yea, I can see why they'd have it only on one car. If its not, then its just a gamble. Yes, maybe Kimi will benefit from having driven it for a time already, but he may also struggle on the weekend due to lack of running with the new parts.

For instance, its always funny how people react to drivers at Ferrari testing out new parts. If its Massa, its cuz he's a guinea pig. If its Alonso, its cuz he's the favored one. In reality, there's positives and negatives to either situation that you've gotta weigh carefully. I'm just wondering if perhaps Lotus have gambled wrong? Its a big weekend and they might be thinking that if things dont work out, they were never favorites anyways, but if they do, then they'll look like geniuses. There's a very thin line there sometimes.

#2336 swerved

swerved

• 3,689 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:57

Raikkonen needs some running in the upcoming FP2..hes already 7-8 laps short in FP1.

I'm pretty sure Crofty said they also have "most" of the parts for the other car with them as well.

#2337 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:41

This is a difficult decision, I think with the DDRS they should have let Grosjean and D' Ambosio tested it because the system was so experimental from the start. With the new updates it is difficult to say. But they cant afford to let Kimi sit around in the garage. If they want to test the parts then they should get Kimi out on track. Kimi needs setup time, a good setup can make a big difference for him.

#2338 Carlo's

Carlo's

• 999 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:05

Kimi driving with updates.

#2339 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:21

I'm pretty sure Crofty said they also have "most" of the parts for the other car with them as well.

Most perhaps but not the coanda system.

Advertisement

#2340 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:37

If updates don't work then it's over for Kimi. So it doesn't amtter who test them really.

#2341 Carlo's

Carlo's

• 999 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:45

Yep, If they don't work, then it's pretty much done.

#2342 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:05

It looks bad. One second off the pace

#2343 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:44

It doesn't really seem like the updates are working.

#2344 Trust

Trust

• 3,200 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:50

It doesn't really seem like the updates are working.

I can't wait to see teams and Kimi's comments about it.

#2345 PMM3

PMM3

• 223 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:15

KR's updated car is a tenth quicker than RG's old version - Rather simplistic view as we dont know where the other variables stand. But what more do you expect from a Lotus upgrade other than a tenth here and there?. that too on its first weekend on track.

#2346 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 536 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:19

The new exhaust will stay on the car, that's what James Allison just said in the team principals press conference.

#2347 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 958 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:24

@andrewbensonf1

Interesting. Race sim avgs: Alonso 1:45.588; Massa 1:45.756; Button 1:45.797; Vettel 1:46.172; Raikkonen 1:46.368; Webber 1:46.461; Ham N/A

@NobleF1

Lotus is set to keep its Coanda-effect exhaust for the rest of the Korea weekend - after positive opening day of practice

Edited by Yoshi, 12 October 2012 - 07:24.

#2348 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:24

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2349 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:25

Good that it stays, according to TS, sources from Lotus say that new exhaust should make the car half a second/lap faster if they get it work like it should..

#2350 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 958 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:28

Good that it stays, according to TS, sources from Lotus say that new exhaust should make the car half a second/lap faster if they get it work like it should..

They just need time to get it work 100%.
But it's good so far, that the new exhaust will stay for the weekend. :up: