Photo

British Grand Prix 2012 - Build Up.

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#1 blackmme

blackmme

• 1,001 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:55

Well as one hasn't been created yet I thought I would start a thread related to this years British GP.

Given the 'Summer' we are currently experiencing in the UK its extremely likely that rain is going to play a role over all 3 days. The latest model output (analysed by the excellent semi pro's and amateurs over at Netweather) would suggest 18 to 19 degree's centigrade and showery with the possibility of more persistent rain on Friday and Sunday.

Posted Image

Given the sheer unpredictability of things this year I wouldn't like to venture precisely what that will mean in terms of performance but the Ferrari and Sauber were mighty quick in Malaysia!
I will be hoping McLaren bring an upgrade that will allow them to get back on terms with Red Bull in terms of sheer pace and in fact given how well Mark always goes at Silverstone I think an intensified battle from Lewis vs Mark in 2010 is on the cards.

I will be going and I'm as excited as ever, even at the grand old age of 42 :) my meter clocks over to 43 on the 9th so a double celebration. I have Grandstand tickets for Stowe B and I'm camping with my wife and two of my sons and Woodlands.
One small nice touch for me is the fact that I am meeting up with an old friend on the Sunday who's coming down to race days with his daughters. We first went to a BGP together at Brands in 1982 (god now I feel old)

I hope the race delivers (not a certainty at Silverstone) and all those remote or present enjoy it!

Regards Mike

Edited by blackmme, 02 July 2012 - 08:33.

Advertisement

#2 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:19

I think a wet/changeable race would be brilliant (from the comfort of my armchair).

#3 blackmme

blackmme

• 1,001 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:24

I think a wet/changeable race would be brilliant (from the comfort of my armchair).

I would settle for that as well to be honest, as a wise man once said 'there is no such thing as bad weather only the wrong clothes' :)

Regards Mike

#4 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:25

I hope it stays dry for the race and the temperatures increase to around 23-25.

#5 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,727 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:26

Dy for the race? Possibly. Temperatures around 23-25? Very unlikely.

#6 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,915 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:29

As I will be there, I'm hoping for a dry race! But, yes wet weather should spice things up a bit. :up:

#7 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:30

Looks like we can have "storm" in Silverstone!

Now the big question ist which team can handle better cooler temperatures?

Edited by puxanando, 02 July 2012 - 09:30.

#8 Giz

Giz

• 734 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:33

I'm going on GA so not too much rain please!

#9 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:36

Given the sheer unpredictability of things this year I wouldn't like to venture precisely what that will mean in terms of performance but the Ferrari and Sauber were mighty quick in Malaysia!
I will be hoping McLaren bring an upgrade that will allow them to get back on terms with Red Bull in terms of sheer pace and in fact given how well Mark always goes at Silverstone I think an intensified battle from Lewis vs Mark in 2010 is on the cards.

At Silverstone Red Bull won't be as competitive as they were in Valencia. Ferrari should be the favourite. Williams maby? I would add also Lotus if not for the low temperatures.

Did McLaren announced updates for this race? Or you just hope they'll bring some?

#10 blackmme

blackmme

• 1,001 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:40

I'm going on GA so not too much rain please!

Ironically enough Giz in my opinion you can make yourself much more comfortable, cosy and weatherproof in GA than you can in the open grandstands (pretty much Stowe only now). The advantage of a stand is much more about having a guaranteed 'spot' and avoiding the 5am start than it is about view and comfort!

Regards Mike

#11 blackmme

blackmme

• 1,001 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:42

At Silverstone Red Bull won't be as competitive as they were in Valencia. Ferrari should be the favourite. Williams maby? I would add also Lotus if not for the low temperatures.

Did McLaren announced updates for this race? Or you just hope they'll bring some?

Some hints from McLaren in the MP4/27 thread and a substantial update would seem slightly overdue.

Regards Mike

#12 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:43

i only hope that it will not rain. Not too worry about fresh temperatures! :)

#13 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:56

Going to be in the paddock. Also going to be camping. No deluge please. Isle of Wight festival repeat would not be welcomed.

#14 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,747 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:00

I would certainly prefer a dry weekend as I'm going to be there. My biggest gripe will be if the race is wet then it will likely be a SC start.

#15 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:02

Cars are pretty changed since Malaysia. So, I think RBR will be very strong ,as last race. Mercedes also like cold weather. Williams and Sauber will be strong as usual. Ferrari have Alonso, so it doesn't matter. McLaren didn't leave good impression in Valencia, so I doubt they will improve much.
I think we can see dry race. Air temperature around 18-20, not more

Edited by ivand911, 02 July 2012 - 10:04.

#16 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 272 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:08

Jeez, I can't believe that 18 qualifies as 'Summer' over there.

We're having the coldest winter I've experienced in my lifetime and the daily max is generally between 13-16.

On the plus side, rain does usually mean good races.

#17 blackmme

blackmme

• 1,001 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:08

I think we can see dry race. Air temperature around 18-20, not more

I think that is quite unlikely looking at the various climate model outputs. The UK is currently in a pattern of weather dictated by some significant and long standing atmospheric factors (Greenland high pressure etc, but I won't spin off into detail as a) it can be boring b) I don't want to be shown up by people far more knowledgable than me :) ).
I would be really quite surprised if we don't get some rain on Sunday.

Regards Mike

Edited by blackmme, 02 July 2012 - 10:14.

#18 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:12

It doesn't. We're having a crappy Summer.

#19 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:14

Important link for those that are camping to keep an eye on: http://www.silversto...wet-weather-f1/

Advertisement

#20 Giz

Giz

• 734 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:16

Again

#21 Giz

Giz

• 734 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:21

Ironically enough Giz in my opinion you can make yourself much more comfortable, cosy and weatherproof in GA than you can in the open grandstands (pretty much Stowe only now). The advantage of a stand is much more about having a guaranteed 'spot' and avoiding the 5am start than it is about view and comfort!

Regards Mike

Maybe me and my fellow GAers can snuggle together for warmth .. failing that waterproofs and my Brawn fleece from 09 should do the trick!

I've been twice before in 06 got there for 7am and 09 got there for 8am and to be honest I never had a problem finding a good spot it seems to me that people are happy till mill around till 12 - 12:30 and then you get a sudden surge of people looking for a place.

Giz

#22 blackmme

blackmme

• 1,001 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:23

Important link for those that are camping to keep an eye on: http://www.silversto...wet-weather-f1/

Many, many thanks for that link.

Regards Mike

#23 evol88

evol88

• 43 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:26

To be fair, it's always a crappy summer over here

#24 eddie66

eddie66

• 101 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:31

I guess you are camping at woodlands the same as me :cool:

#25 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:32

To be fair, it's always a crappy summer over here

True. But this year just feels really grim. Not just wet, but cold.

#26 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:33

I think that is quite unlikely looking at the various climate model outputs. The UK is currently in a pattern of weather dictated by some significant and long standing atmospheric factors (Greenland high pressure etc, but I won't spin off into detail as a) it can be boring b) I don't want to be shown up by people far more knowledgable than me :) ).
I would be really quite surprised if we don't get some rain on Sunday.

Regards Mike

I am sure there would be some rain on Sunday. Last year there was also, but very light. Sunday was the best day from the last year weekend. Still I hope for dry race.

#27 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:40

So, who else is going?

I'll be arriving late Thursday morning (hopefully) and then camping at Litchlake (on the gate booking!) for 3 nights.

#28 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:44

AFAIK the track is not perfect for RB, but I am hoping for a Vettel win, especially after Valencia. :)

I'd wait until Thursday with weather predictions, but this year we do not really need rain to spice up the races. If it rains, I hope there won't be red flags and long SC phases.

#29 blackmme

blackmme

• 1,001 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:44

So, who else is going?

I'll be arriving late Thursday morning (hopefully) and then camping at Litchlake (on the gate booking!) for 3 nights.

As per the first post. I'm at Woodlands from Thursday lunchtime with my wife and 17 & 15 YO son's. Really looking forward to a break from a pretty demanding few months at work and then my Birthday on Monday :)
Absolutely can't wait!

Regards Mike

#30 oligc94

oligc94

• 522 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:45

I'm going to Silverstone for the first time this year and was just looking for some advice.

I'm going on Saturday only and, although I have a family GA ticket, I believe it allows 'roving grandstand access'. So my questions are, where are some good grandstands for me to watch Quali from, where are good non-grandstand spots, and are there any other things that I shouldn't be missing out on? :lol:

Thanks in advance

:wave:

#31 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:46

As per the first post. I'm at Woodlands from Thursday lunchtime with my wife and 17 & 15 YO son's. Really looking forward to a break from a pretty demanding few months at work and then my Birthday on Monday :)
Absolutely can't wait!

Regards Mike

Sounds great. Like you I'm meeting up with a friend I haven't seen in years. Should be fun. But I'll also be writing & roaming so need to stay clean, smart & fresh. Camping could put paid to that aim! :lol:

#32 blackmme

blackmme

• 1,001 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:50

I'm going to Silverstone for the first time this year and was just looking for some advice.

I'm going on Saturday only and, although I have a family GA ticket, I believe it allows 'roving grandstand access'. So my questions are, where are some good grandstands for me to watch Quali from, where are good non-grandstand spots, and are there any other things that I shouldn't be missing out on? :lol:

Thanks in advance

There is some excellent advice over on the GP Travelling forum. Outside of copse for speed, Becketts is brilliant but i think might be tough for you to get into.

Regards Mike

#33 Stanmayes349

Stanmayes349

• 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:51

Thanks in advance

ive been scouring the forums over the weekend, bst bit below.

• i would recommend up by hanger (bit of a trek though). on race day you will have to be up mega early to get the best places. take a fold up chair or a blanket to sit on and make sure you are near the toilets and food stalls. we went general admission a few years ago and we were trackside at 6 am. we were right next to the fence at the first corner
• If your going for the 3 days I would advice walking the track on Friday and viewing from as many places as possible to work out what view you enjoy the most. Get up very early on Sunday and be in the queue well before 06:00 when the gates open, and then head as quickly as possible to your chosen area to stake your claim. The best spots fill up very quickly.
• I would sit a Luffield for good views. Also the newly named Village area. Stowe is great too you have to get on the circuit very early to get a good spot, 6am ish. 2. Club corner is where i watch from every year after wandering around the track to find the right place. But i would suggest you go there on Friday and Saturday as well so you can wander round the track and find your own favourite place.
• enjoy the view from pretty much every point around the outside of the circuit. There is a brilliant General Admission viewing area at the entry to the super fast Maggots and Becketts complex and this offers the best opportunity to see Formula 1 cars working at their hardest
• I would sit a Luffield for good views. Also the newly named Village area. Stowe is great too
• I'll probably head down to Club at 6am and claim a place there! I think this is the best spot on the circuit, and wish they would stick a grandstand there! The thing I dont like about General Walkabout tickets, is that once your there you cant move, or you'll never get back to the same space!
• On the fence, turn in at Maggots.
it may well be covered up now with blue plastic or Fosters signage but that was where I stopped back in the day
• I like to be at Club corner ...that's general admission and standing though.
• On race day last year, I got a fold up chair, and sneaked in and found a spot pretty early, but not too late, between becketts and maggots, right near the fence, there's a screen there, it's not bad, but I haven't checked out other places, and other tickets, but between beckets and magotts was pretty interesting, but normally it's all clean through there, but still cool to see a f1 car go through there. Sith's recommendation of Luffield and Abbey seems the one to go for though, I briefly saw those in practice sessions, should of saw more of it. Probabley this year
• Have GA'd for most of the last 20 years. Apart from no more club corner GA is so much better with the new track, before it really was £150 to stick your deck chair in the mud. Now there isn't quite as much mud! and loads more GA areas so it's not such a mad rush and a tight squeeze. 2 years ago I'd have warned newbies away from GA unless they were with someone who had been before. But now there's so many more GA places to watch it's a lot better and there's no more need getting up at 4am to get a good spot
• I'd say woodcote area. Some concrete banking there as well. Also if you are there for 3 days, standing by the side of maggots is a must. Then catching a session on the Becketts grandstand. See the whole Becketts section plus a lot of the new track. A lot of action.

#34 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:52

Hamilton on pole but going backwards in the race and Red Bull easily winning

#35 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:53

Thanks in advance

Sat at the Arena in 2010 and for FR3.5 last year. You get a good view from the exit of Farm curve, around the Arena and the exit onto the Wellington Straight. You can also see Maggotts/Becketts/Chapel from there and some of the Hangar Straight.

#36 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:34

I would certainly prefer a dry weekend as I'm going to be there. My biggest gripe will be if the race is wet then it will likely be a SC start.

I feel for you guys if it's going to be wet. Only light rain forecast atm, so yeah hopefully not one of those godawful SC starts!

#37 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,747 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:01

Thanks in advance

Happy to be corrected but I don't think GA tickets give access to the grandstands.

#38 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:04

Getting to Litchlake on THursday afternoon/evening and caravanning for the weekend... can't wait!

It should be worth sticking out the rain if a McLaren or Lotus driver wins, or we get a surprise win like Perez. Just as long as it's not a Vettel domination really.

#39 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:17

I think if we see lower temperatures the Lotus will struggle all weekend. I think Mercedes could be good in Quali but who knows how they'll do in the race itself as their car is so up and down. I think Ferrari will be competitive no matter the weather but would prefer cooler temps. McLaren bring updates to the car and regain form, possibly win. The big question mark is the Red Bull. Who knows if they'll carry over their Valencia form or if they'll just be in contention.

Looks like consistent temps(16-19C) and it looks like good chance of rain each day. I think we'll see a race similar to 2011 in that it will be wet for some of & dry for other parts of the race.

Advertisement

#40 dave12

dave12

• 730 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:38

We're having the coldest winter I've experienced in my lifetime and the daily max is generally between 13-16.

On the plus side, rain does usually mean good races.

18 degrees Celsius.

#41 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:45

Seriously tough to call this one at this stage.

It does appear the RBR have unlocked something.

I think the current top 4 (SV, FA, LH and MW) will be the ones fighting at the front. Other teams may find something in the race and spring a late surprise but it's hard to see at this moment.

#42 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:45

Gotta watch the race from my couch this year unfortunately, but its still one of my most anticipated GP's this year, especially seeing as how the track and conditions should be good to Mclaren and Ferrari both. I'm excited. :D

#43 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:55

McLAren should be the favourties. They have an big up-date coming and the best driver under changing conditions.

#44 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 13:08

McLAren should be the favourties. They have an big up-date coming and the best driver under changing conditions.

Yeah because updates automatically work!

#45 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 13:12

I think Jenson's due a good race.

#46 oligc94

oligc94

• 522 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 13:21

Happy to be corrected but I don't think GA tickets give access to the grandstands.

My family ticket includes roving grandstand access: http://www.silversto...;epslanguage=en

:)

#47 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 13:27

Getting to Litchlake on THursday afternoon/evening and caravanning for the weekend... can't wait!

It should be worth sticking out the rain if a McLaren or Lotus driver wins, or we get a surprise win like Perez. Just as long as it's not a Vettel domination really.

Silverstone 2008 was my first (and to this point only) F1 race, my godfather treated me for my 18th. We were in the uncovered Abbey grandstand and it absolutely pelted it down! Trust me, that was a race worth getting soaked for.

I think some of it comes down to luck in terms of whether you get some of the action at your part of the track. Abbey was the wettest part of the track that day so we got about 5 crashes, a Kovalainen spin, Hamilton's only off-track excursion and Barrichello making an epic overtake down at Bridge in the last couple of laps. I watched the highlights with 5Live commentary and David Croft actually said, "if you're sitting down at Abbey today you're getting such good value for money." As a Hamilton fan, I really couldn't have asked for more than to be present for (probably) his greatest win. The crowd was going absolutely bananas that day.

So yeah, if it rains you could well be in for something special. Even if it doesn't I'm expecting a good race. Enjoy!

#48 SerratedEdge

SerratedEdge

• 122 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 13:33

My first trip to Silverstone and a Grand Prix live.

Got a roving grandstand ticket for qualifying on the Saturday and a Gold Grandstand adult ticket for the race on the Sunday but dont know which stand we will be in untill the coach picks up on Saturday morning.

#49 DamienUK

DamienUK

• 87 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 13:54

Going with my Dad for our annual trip - been going every year since 1987 when I witnissed the greatest EVER bgp when Nige overtook Piquet in front of me with 3 or 4 laps left. Crowd went utterly ballistic and it remains the best ever atmosphere I have experienced at a sporting event.

Its so much better when there are Brits in with a chance of winning - the atmosphere was rubbish during the Schumacher / Alonso Renault years. With such a competitive field, it should be a great race. The cold will massively help Mclaren, but surely Ferrari will struggle with tyre warm up as previously.

I think Hamilton will pull it out the bag, the crowd will be going wild, and I wont mind the queue to drop my Kangaroo TV back afterwards.

Sitting at Club Silverstone this year at Becketts - anyone ever been? Apparently you can see tonnes of the track.

#50 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 14:13

there is a whole punch of posters going for them